Sign in to follow this  
*actionhank*

VBS2 Compared to ArmA. What Mods can do

Ok, i'm not sure if this should go in here, or general discussion, but i'll place it here just because it's more mod oriented. (Mods, move it if this is the wrong place, and i apologize if it is)

I watched the VBS2 video, and it made me wonder.

What does VBS2 have save for the AAR and other things like that, that we can't have in Armed Assault?

The Add On makers here are just as good at making models, so that doesn't seem to be a problem, so i'm just curious what VBS2 has that Arma doesn't.

I was wondering about the multiple gunners thing, and if that's been fixed yet. I saw the video and it had the commander and gunner both turned out firing their mounted machine guns which i thought would be a nice feature.

I'm just curious, so please don't flame me for it.

I can remember just getting OFP after it came out, and over the course of time Mods turned it into something amazing. I don't doubt that the same will happen here, seeing as it already is, and from what i've gathered it's all without the use of the SDK.

Is there a way to get artillery and other things like that, without the use of scripting? (I admit this was one thing i never could figure out in the original, but always intererested me)

So, enlighten me. I know we've got a bunch of really good modders around here, and likely more will pop up.

I can't wait to see what RHS and the other's can do with Arma. Just imagine a nice FDF pack for this game. It would be awesome!

Thanks for the input guys! notworthy.gif

ArmA looks like a dumbened down version of VBS2. If you watch the video, the pistols slides move back, you can take equipment from the Humvee, doors open on APCs and such, there are glowy tracers at night, there's the multiple gunners and stuff too.

that seems gay dont it, & ive never seen an explination from bis, about this perticular set of issues.. (correct me if im wrong)

Nevermind, forgot that the wonderful moderators put a restriction on talking about VBS.

Armed Assault - 40$

VBS2 - 1,500$

Can you see the difference? biggrin_o.gif

As I've reading this topic the first time I knew some people will use it instantly for BI bashing because VBS2 is so elite and ArmA is just crap compared to it.

I keep watching this. While I see no problem with the initial post, I surely close this if the off-topic stuff like made by Iron+Cross and ZeroG_181 continues.

Ok, i'm not sure if this should go in here, or general discussion, but i'll place it here just because it's more mod oriented. (Mods, move it if this is the wrong place, and i apologize if it is)

What does VBS2 have save for the AAR and other things like that, that we can't have in Armed Assault?

The Add On makers here are just as good at making models, so that doesn't seem to be a problem, so i'm just curious what VBS2 has that Arma doesn't.

I was wondering about the multiple gunners thing, and if that's been fixed yet. I saw the video and it had the commander and gunner both turned out firing their mounted machine guns which i thought would be a nice feature.

I can remember just getting OFP after it came out, and over the course of time Mods turned it into something amazing. I don't doubt that the same will happen here, seeing as it already is, and from what i've gathered it's all without the use of the SDK.

Is there a way to get artillery and other things like that, without the use of scripting? (I admit this was one thing i never could figure out in the original, but always intererested me)

So, enlighten me. I know we've got a bunch of really good modders around here, and likely more will pop up.

I can't wait to see what RHS and the other's can do with Arma. Just imagine a nice FDF pack for this game. It would be awesome!

to your casual game like 99% of the people on this forum, you won't know the difference between VBS2 and ArmA - 90% of the features exist in both, and the features that omfg l33t haxor bis stole away from the community (please sense that I'm mocking those on this forum who insist on claiming such things) are hardly spell binding - they're kinda cool, sure, and some could be vaguely useful - but hell, I'm kind of grateful that mine costs £30 and not $1500...

I really don't want this to be an off topic parade.

And the obvious statements aren't contributing much.

I was just curious what modders thought that they could achieve when compared to VBS2. Because from looking at the videos, VBS2 sure looks good, but it doesn't seem like anything our community of modders can't pull out.

(I'll admit, i'd kill for a model of the CH-53, the Moder Huey, and the Sea Knight that VBS has) but models aren't really the problem.

The community's show that it's more than capable of bringing the goods, hell just look at the Mi-24. If i remember that's from OFP, and it looks right at home in Arma from what i've seen in screenshots.

So guys, please try and keep it serious, at the very least, semi-serious.

to your casual game like 99% of the people on this forum, you won't know the difference between VBS2 and ArmA - 90% of the features exist in both, and the features that omfg l33t haxor bis stole away from the community (please sense that I'm mocking those on this forum who insist on claiming such things) are hardly spell binding - they're kinda cool, sure, and some could be vaguely useful - but hell, I'm kind of grateful that mine costs £30 and not $1500...

That's a good point.

I was more curious what things could be implimented.

Does anyone know about artillery, atleast one that doesn't require scripting?

at the moment, any sort of effective/realistic artilery requires some degree of scripting - I have no idea whether VBS2 has an artilery system already set up, but if not, it would be the same case there.

CoC from flashpoint fame would be a very welcome team to return if they fancied reviving alot of their ofp projects to arma, especially the unified artilery work they did

I'm sure everyone around here could go on for days with mod teams they'd love to come back.

I would love BAS to do some Arma work!

Tonal made with Arma in mind could be amazing!

I can remeber playing Tonal's map driving a Bradley into the town taking fire from all the Rebels.

Good times.

What about ricochet, does Arma have that in it?

The Machine gun's ricochet in the video did look pretty good.

The pistol slides in ArmA don't move back?! crazy_o.gif

Thats just laziness BIS!

Quote[/b] ]The Add On makers here are just as good at making models, so that doesn't seem to be a problem, so i'm just curious what VBS2 has that Arma doesn't.

Arma will be the recruiting ground for VBS2 just like ofp was for VBS. many people i know have been porting to VBS2 from vbs since december and before.

To answer your question there is no difference arma is besides being a game , a proving ground and a place for people to show there skills.

Its an excellent opportunity for a lot of people.

we do lose some very good talent tho sad_o.gif in the community.

But always another comes along.

Quote[/b] ]I watched the VBS2 video, and it made me wonder.

Not alot realy its a verry flexable engine, although ballistics could be a problem, as seen here.

Ballistics chat

But The

Quote[/b] ]Other things
that you talked about,

are Extreamly important i mean what server admin including myself wouldent enjoy, (apart from booting rednecks) changing a coop mission mid game (realisticly or adding variables to the environment in CTI games...?? those are some verry important features missing.

Basicly what i was refering to b4

Quote[/b] ]that seems gay dont it, & ive never seen an explination from bis, about this perticular set of issues.. (correct me if im wrong

was that things like ballistics might Not be like flashpoint i.e (more realistics) depending on how research go's so that seems on topic to me...

as for ZeroG_181 well he was refering to other possible Short comings from my point of Viw Which is what was asked bye

Quote[/b] ]I watched the VBS2 video, and it made me wonder.

(am i wrong if so please help me find the fault in my/our logic, as we all like to be in the right.) rofl.gif

@*actionhank*

yes it dose but ballistics are more like CS from what i have seen in config files compared to Flashpoint or VBS2.

here is an example....

Unreal 3 engine is developed... other companies buy the liscence to use this to make a different game. They spend lots of money and time adding new code to the source. The client is different and therefore has more money to have more things developed for them.

The development it takes to make these things happen is different than how fast the modding scene can rework it to get the same thing..

Im just happy that ARMA is here, and happy to experience the yearly advances in modding until we start over again with game 2. or codemasters version of OFP2...hopefully for xbox360...but thats just me.... yay.gif

So what does VBS2 have that ArmA doesnt have?

-3d real time Editor

-Nice tracers

-a 1500$ price tag

-*add here*

Well, people are already working on some kind of 3d editor (check A&M:D or the mission editing section, cant remember), and nice tracers arent that hard to mod either..

Ofcourse it would be nice to have them already implented in ArmA, but hey, ArmA is only 40€... whistle.gif

I dont really see a major problem here, it sounds more like *i want this, i want that, oh and while you are at it, gimme that too!*

oh dear, the 'stealing talent from the community thing' - for the sake of a worthwhile discussion, couldn't we just drop that?

actionhawk - BAS are back for ARMA wink_o.gif

Arma will be the recruiting ground for VBS2 just like ofp was for VBS. many people i know have been porting to VBS2 from vbs since december and before.

How can they port over to VBS2 in december when the official release was in the first week of April?

Back in december no one knew when VBS2 will be released nor if it's available to the public at all.

And once again: This is about finding out what features from VBS2 are able to realize in ArmA, not what VBS2 does to the community or how expensive it is.

Quote[/b] ]How can they port over to VBS2 in december when the official release was in the first week of April?

Back in december no one knew when VBS2 will be released nor if it's available to the public at all.

the engine was ready months ago mate. what you talking about releases for i am talking about old community addon makers who went on from ofp to vbs and now vbs2.

Quote[/b] ]oh dear, the 'stealing talent from the community thing' - for the sake of a worthwhile discussion, couldn't we just drop that?

is there really any need for that attitude ?

i didnt make a big fuss ,just stated the obvious and ended it on a plus.i also think i mentioned it being a great opportunity.

geez . turn off your text to speech dude, i think you loaded the wrong speaker and you got the wrong idea ?

oh dear, the 'stealing talent from the community thing' - for the sake of a worthwhile discussion, couldn't we just drop that?

actionhawk - BAS are back for ARMA  wink_o.gif

That's good news! I can't wait for BAS to release some mods!

perhaps I got the wrong idea from you, yes - but back when VBS1 was the rage, we had endless moaning posts about members being stolen from the community etc - I labled yours as the same, which of course was an ignorant thing to do - sorry about that

I wouldn't however call it 'stating the obvious' - but anyway, its not really a discussion that has any sort of outcome, given its a battle of opinions rather than facts, I hope you agree.

Quote[/b] ] the engine was ready months ago mate. what you talking about releases for i am talking about old community addon makers who went on from ofp to vbs and now vbs2.

if so, then isn't it their jobs to do that... if they were already doing it, they're not exactly a loss to the community now. Or perhaps I'm seeing it differently

as to what can be achieved in arma as in vbs2, i'd say the possibilities are endless - the interaction with the hmmvw was cool, but placing objects is easily possible in ArmA - just a case of carryin fake proxy objects like razor wire in the cargo or your back pack and then placing them where you want via the action menu

it was done in OFP, it can be done in ARMA. Tracers are being modded, im sure all the nifty stuff thats ever so slightly different will appear somehow or another. Perhaps not the real time editor in its fullest capapcity (I can imagine its perfectly possible to spawn men and objects via dialogus to gain the same effect), but I can live with that

*slap*

totally wrong LOL

ofp vs vbs2 rofl..

thats miles away

and mods cant do anything

vbs1 and vbs2 are superior to their "mother" systems

advanced engine

more functions/commands

hardcoded stuff you cant /hardly can in ofp/arma script

eg the convoy auto-slave thing

in ofp you had to script it and it was VERY limited

in vbs1 it runs without any scripting as its implemented

and only had smaller bugs.

also vbs2 DOES NOT use eyecandy like arma does

so no normal maps

once again the army needs performance.

if you just fancy those models wait for mods or go make them yourself.

actually vbs2 also useses several arma models or even older vbs1 models from addon modules.

I think most VBS2 features can be done in ArmA too:

-Real time editor. There are already some good startsin ArmA for this. Selectable troops, new waypoints etc It shouldnt be too hard to put alot more options in it (alltho it will take alot of time)

-Nice tracers. There will eventually be some Addon enhancing the tracers, im sure.

-AAR. OFP had something similar, but not so usefull. The hardest part will be the recording, and may not be possible in a good way.

-add here

sorry neph, who are you quoting as wrong - its hard to tell

agreend rundll - Looking back at flashpoint we were only limited by our imagination (and patience)

im quoting the title XD

its like comparing apples and oranges