Sign in to follow this  
-Puma-

ArmA: Combat ops

Ok third time is the charm...

Lets keep this topic open and OT.

Any Us players can confirm, If the contrast in NVG is fixed, and how the NVG's are in us release.

Allso hear rumors about fast roping, is it a feature there , or only a rumor.

Thank U in advance

(I will kick personally any flamers ass)

It was a cold day on may 1st. I woke up, showered and then set out joyfully, because this was the day I was going to buy Combat ops. I said to my self "This is going to kick so much ass!". I called first as to not waste gas or time.

They said " We won't get it until the 8th".

This was the first day I started cutting.

It was a cold day on may 1st. I woke up, showered and then set out joyfully, because this was the day I was going to buy Combat ops. I said to my self "This is going to kick so much ass!". I called first as to not waste gas or time.

They said " We won't get it until the 8th".

This was the first day I started cutting.

dude, it's only a week... u can make it...

Quote[/b] ]I'm no US player.. apologies but as for the NVG you might want to have a look at this thread, someone published a NVG video there:

not much discussion about the NVG's...

One MAJOR difference with the US version (I purchased via download from Atari) is the back story. I also own the german version.

So far at least (I'm several missions into the US version), there are no newscasters telling the story. Instead, it's mostly an audio backstory with still pictures of a us trooper - I think Will Porter - describing what's happening from his boots on ground perspective.

So far at least I like this approach better than the newscaster backstory, which I alwys felt was a bit cartoonish and definately 3rd person. They bypass the whole cartoonish issue now by having the story told mostly via audio, and Will Porter's telling of the story on the ground is much more first person. I like it.

Rick

here is what the us 1.06 nvg look like:

with moonlight

night1.jpg

complete darkness

night2.jpg

I only played the demos before but I can tell the US version has nicer nvgs in my opinion. Oh and fast roping is NOT an option or feature.

Also in the US version there are special SF HALO personnel.

are there, situations in US version, where the screen goes totally dark, like when flying a chopper, with NVG's???

and what are the SF halo units?? screenies yay.gif

Seeing as this post has kind of gone dead and now people actually own the game in the USA I thought I would give this post a bump and hope that some people who bought Combat Operations can give us some reviews or some feedback.

are there, situations in US version, where the screen goes totally dark, like when flying a chopper, with NVG's???

and what are the SF halo units?? screenies  yay.gif

All of the SF soldiers had their helmets re-textured. That's pretty much the extent of that.

For behavior, I was able to get an AI piloted Harrier to drop a bomb on my designated target. He crashed immediatly after delievery, but at least he dropped it, right?

The NVGs are alot better. I haven't noticed in change in performance either way, which is a good thing because it runs fairly well for me.

what about bug fix stages? are those within the change log of 1.06 really fixed?

Great we are getting some feedback. Can anyone who owns Combat Operations please post some screenshots of the new features and content. The screenshots of the night vision goggles were very nice and a picture is better than words.

All of the SF soldiers had their helmets re-textured. That's pretty much the extent of that.

Those black helmets look to me like they are completely new models, actually.

I thought that too at first, but I guess I talked myself out of it. I'm not sure why they *all* received the new helmets. It really doesn't matter though.

From the changelog

Quote[/b] ]Added new Helmets for us_sodier_sabass.p3d, us_sodier_sabot.p3d, us_sodier_sabmark.p3d (8.3.2007)

Originally i thought we were going to get new units after seeing Dyslecxis screenshots, but this is still good..

where do i find these screenies?huh.gif?

oh and like i asked above is the totall darkness when NVG'd fixed in combat ops?huh.gif

allso do helis now engage ground targets???

NVG's appear much less green than earlier patches which is quite nice. Whenever I was doing an M9 mission in the armory I thought my screen had froze because all I saw was black, accidently clicked the mouse and it turns out I wasn't. Anyway, donned the NVG's which lightened up near instantly, they seem much less effected by the HDR as well as gamma adjustments.

Haven't tried the new A-10 yet, shame on me, been having some fun in armory and exploring the island. the 10km distance is great, able to run about 8km right now.

I'm not sure if the armory was European versions but basicly its a kind of mini game of sorts with many others, you start off with a few vehicles and weapons and get points by doing challenges with each one to unlock new ones, ural fuel truck races anyone?

On a side note of sound, I remember firing weapons at helicopters and other vehicles in the demo's and heard ricohet's only a small percent of the time, with the full version they seem to happen nearly every time.

It could just be me but weapon ballistics seem improved.

The fact that the camera does not move everywhere when moving with the sights up is great, have found a tad bit of trouble with the sight in free floating, just use the * key, it locks but the camera is not shaken still. Only problem with that is that you can only turn the gun so far which is as far as your character can look I believe.

Helicopters are interesting to pilot, I didn't expect them to be so different, the OH-6 reminds me of our OH-58D, so sensitive.

In terms of graphical enhancement, and this too may have been in the US demo, I remember earlier versions of the blackhawk and Mi-17 having the HDR "indoor problem" which caused everything to brighten, I'v yet to see that happen in the retail version for any helicopter.

The manual mentions HDR quality and Reflections quality being in the video options but I have yet to see it. I'd say the manual is pretty good, giving some details of things such as how crouching will effect your aim and speed as compared to prone, while it also has a chart of every or nearly every key and what it does by default.

Another thing I noticed while playing around with the M113 in armory, this too may be in European version, drivers of things such as the humvee, ural and general cars have their heads look around when you use the numpad keys. But drivers such as APC drivers do not..well they do, but only up and down. However it seems that when you use the * key, their head can be seen moving in any direction.

Mastering vehicle control is a bit fun since almost every vehicle has its own feel, civilian vehicles are faster and generally easier to turn than military vehicles, and the tractor has a pretty good speed too, I love that thing.

Could get screenshots later if needed/desired.

Oh and OPFOR have chinstraps now and a different helmet, a bit more of a dark green with a kind of less..matte appearence.

OH and if you have the game and haven't already, you have GOT to try using an APC or the CCR in water, its a great new experience for water and gives some insight of just how much more effect naval mods might be able to be, also a tad bit of a pain to steer the APC's in those waves.

Sounds great xnodunitx!

I can't wait for 1.07 to bring us Euros up to speed. Too bad the fast roping feature was just a myth. Perhaps it can be scripted in....

i remember seeing some vids with fastroping, so we're getting there, with shooting from helos(saw a vid about that too)

How about VoiceChat, did anyone try the ingame voice system since version v1.06?