Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Reload while moving

OK, we might as well have a "proper" thread for this, it's a small issue to be sure but I guess it's ramifications are bigger as it addresses the ArmA animation system in general.

Should ArmA soldiers be able to reload while moving? Or, to be more accurate, move while reloading?

I say sure, why not. BUT there has to be some sort of penalty for doing so. It's general bad practice to reload on the move, not just casually moving around but specifically under fire or in a dangerous position. The most appropriate method is to find cover first then reload.

So to my mind we need to make it MORE desirable to scamper into cover rather than reload while moving. One thing we can all agree on is the frustration of finding yourself stuck in a 5-second animation loop unable to do anything other than look inviting to bullets.

I would suggest a couple of things:

Slow down the reload drastically while moving.

Allow breaking out of the reload to change stance or to start running.

Have the increased probability of jamming or dropping of magazines, dependant on speed.

My ideas:

Only be able to walk away while reloading

Be able to interrupt a reload by sprinting away, the amount of times ive camly stood and a BMP come round the corner at me is insane :P

Quote[/b] ]Slow down the reload drastically while moving.

Have the increased probability of jamming or dropping of magazines, dependant on speed.

All brilliant.

All brilliant.

I would go for number 2.

All brilliant.

I would go for number 2.

Actually I was thinking of all 3 biggrin_o.gif

Hello

had exactly the same discussion on a server the other day.

all same ideas too!

Good stuff, means we all on same page.

Heartily hope ideas can be implemented smile_o.gif

rgds

LoK

I would suggest a couple of things:

Sounds good to me.

I'm not too keen on the jamming feature but we do need to move while reloading. We have enough artificial limits in-game as it is. Question is, would the entire animation system need an overhaul?

I'm not too keen on the jamming feature but we do need to move while reloading. We have enough artificial limits in-game as it is. Question is, would the entire animation system need an overhaul?

Probably, unless you go the route of trying to animate for every single possible action. It might be better to split the body into two animated entities, the waist down and the waist up.

It sounds terribly complicated to me biggrin_o.gif expecially when you start to think about prone, crouching & standing.

Probably, unless you go the route of trying to animate for every single possible action. It might be better to split the body into two animated entities, the waist down and the waist up.

It sounds terribly complicated to me biggrin_o.gif expecially when you start to think about prone, crouching & standing.

What you're describing is simply a skeletal animation scheme.

in fact, arma's whole animations/infantry system needs an overhaul.

- can't jump over sandbags....

- can't reload my rifle while moving

- can't control my parachute

- will only reload and shoot jav/at4/rpg/stinger/strela on my knees...makes me an easy target

- reloading animations can't be aborted

- entering and leaving of vehicles happens in slowmo

- can't shoot out of vehicles/little birds

- can't shoot/lay down suppressive fire while running

- missing or hardly working squad system/communication system

can't shoot/lay down suppressive fire while running

I can. It's massively inaccurate as you might expect but it's there.

You can't when sprinting at top speed though, also as you might expect smile_o.gif

</span>

OK, we might as well have a "proper" thread for this, it's a small issue to be sure but I guess it's ramifications are bigger as it addresses the ArmA animation system in general.
<span =''>

Indeed we have one here.

Using the search reveals it and there's no reason why we need a second topic about the same thing.

Closing.