Sign in to follow this  
lkavadas

'Mechs, Anyone?

I was just wondering a few things about the engine.

1. Does it support bipedal vehicular locomotion? Can I make a battlemech actually move correctly? I need walking, running, kneeling, a shutdown posture, torso twisting, and a good range of arm movement.

2. Does the engine support multiple hit locations on vehicles? And if so, can internal mechanisms be modeled as well (I.E. support structure and myomer muscle fiber which when damage would make the limb fall off [structural damage] or make the limb move more slowly or not at all [myomer damage])?

3. Does the engine support multiple firing ports on vehicles?

4. Will the engine support "jump jets" on ground vehicles? Basically, some mechs have limited burn thrusters on them which allow them to travel through the air for short distances (couple hundred meters at best).

1. Couldn't you just use a huge human like unit model?

2. Couldn't you just use a huge human like unit model?

3. Yes, multiple turrets are supported for vehicles, although I don't know if turrets can be attached to a huge human like unit model.

4. Scripting should make that quite easy.

I remember seeing a few mechas in OFP, although the only one I ever looked at in game was a 6 legged "tank" from Ghost In The Shell. It's walking animation was good enough for the job.

I'd love to see a elemental in ArmA first :> I am sure this will be possible even know.. and it would rock everything biggrin_o.gif

well..

arma uses skeletons/bones for animations now..

so it should be possible..

but we need the tools smile_o.gif

1. Couldn't you just use a huge human like unit model?

2. Couldn't you just use a huge human like unit model?

3. Yes, multiple turrets are supported for vehicles, although I don't know if turrets can be attached to a huge human like unit model.

4. Scripting should make that quite easy.

I remember seeing a few mechas in OFP, although the only one I ever looked at in game was a 6 legged "tank" from Ghost In The Shell. It's walking animation was good enough for the job.

you dont need a huge human model, you can do this all with a tank cfg. you have to use how nephilim said, cfg skeletons, and bones, and ofcourse cfganimations. so you do the selections on your model, and configure your anims in cfganimations. and ofcourse you will need a script what starts this things. and you can define some keys for kneeing, or jumping or running...just all things are made at least with some little scripts. so this things are possible i think!

but only one problem, you know, one battlemech has got 1 mechcommander. but in arma is it not possible to use 1crew for fireing and driving a vehicle (groundvehicle) at same time, you will need 2 crews or more (for more turrets) and thats for me s***! hope BIS guys will support one manned tanks!

Sentry

Mechs with more than one crew would be a lot cooler IMO, you could always try using manual fire, but you wouldn't be able to aim the weapons that way afaik.

Mechs with more than one crew would be a lot cooler IMO, you could always try using manual fire, but you wouldn't be able to aim the weapons that way afaik.

all mechwarrior games got one maned mechs xD

and is it cooler if you have to control a GDI Wolverine with 3 crews?! "Driver, Gunner right, Gunner left" and its not that much bigger than a soldier... i dont think that it is cooler nener.gif

Sentry

I've actually been working on a MechWarrior mod for Arma since last year and have some units done.

I'm still in the hope that arma wil support skeletons/bones for vehicles though i havent seen anything that will suggest that complex anims are possible for any class other than soldier/units.

Some word from BIS on this would be great confused_o.gif

BTW

Models/textures/normals Done are:

Vulture

Timberwolf

Madcat

And models for

Uziel and Cougar and some other stuff

I've also got some great concepts and idea's for the story and gameplay, but i'll only start releasing content when i know the engine can support what i'm planning.

nener.gif

Wow lordhorus, that sounds great. Still though, without skeletons for vehicles or multiple firing ports this seems pretty DOA until BIS addresses these deficiencies.

Okay, two more questions.

I'd just like confirmation that ArmA is still restricted to one firing port per vehicle? I thought I saw a screenie of a Blackhawk firing both miniguns out the sides simultaneously? Are we still really limited to one firing port?

Also, couldn't mech locomotion simply be handled by scripted animations? Meaning that instead of left foot, right foot, like a human model would move you would simply set the speed and then create an animation to match it. Would that work?

blackhawks have two mini guns one either side and yes they both can be fired independently smile_o.gif

Ikavadas:  The problem with animation in operation flashpoint was that you could only create animations where the selection would rotate around 1 defined axis and multiple axis for 1 selection (foot or leg) was not possible.

So when creating a mech in OFP you were very limited in what you could move at any single time, even with the help of heavy scripting it looked weird at best wink_o.gif

Now if Arma supports full vehicle animation with bones/custom rig it would be very easy to create a set of anims that would fit multiple mechs of the same size and aproxamate configuration.

We will just have to wait and see.

BTW here is a WIP pic of the Vulture, the pic is almost a year old and the vulture has been completed but i'm on my laptop now and this is the only media i have atm.

Vulture001.jpg

looks awesome, let's hope those tools are getting ready wink_o.gif

and its from MW3 not MW4 vengeance

Sentry

MW3 Gold FTW!!! pistols.gif MW4

As for mechas, let's all hope that the great Battle of Hokkaido Mod and Ocrambass bring them Wanzers to ArmA ASAP... notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Your model looks good but it's going to look like donkey dung animated in the arma engine if it's anything like ofp!

Ya, think it was the Wanzer (cant remember exactly), original that personally I liked the best of all the mechs made for Ofp, very good looking, walked, ton of huge weapons - it was reported to be replaced by some other more kinda weird looking mechs, most without legs, and the few that had them were like giant spiders, the original was just awsome - but ya, it moved like a vehicle, constant forward motion during walking, still, the thing was amazing, especially with ffur explosion/object burn enhancements, basically a town would be a lit up burning and smoking heap of rubble in a short time with that baby biggrin_o.gif

Anyhow Gl with this, look forward to seeing more stuff on this smile_o.gif

BUZZARD @ April 22 2007,18:01)]
and its from MW3 not MW4 vengeance

Sentry

MW3 Gold FTW!!!  pistols.gif MW4

As for mechas, let's all hope that the great Battle of Hokkaido Mod and Ocrambass bring them Wanzers to ArmA ASAP...  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

I also personally liked MW3 Gold a lot more then MW4. It felt more solid and complete.

Ikavadas: The problem with animation in operation flashpoint was that you could only create animations where the selection would rotate around 1 defined axis and multiple axis for 1 selection (foot or leg) was not possible.

So when creating a mech in OFP you were very limited in what you could move at any single time, even with the help of heavy scripting it looked weird at best wink_o.gif

Now if Arma supports full vehicle animation with bones/custom rig it would be very easy to create a set of anims that would fit multiple mechs of the same size and aproxamate configuration.

We will just have to wait and see.

BTW here is a WIP pic of the Vulture, the pic is almost a year old and the vulture has been completed but i'm on my laptop now and this is the only media i have atm.

Vulture001.jpg

is this mech from you?

because, i got the same model from a mech site, was called battletech ore something like that, and autor is pawel caznicky or something like that, have to research it xD

Sentry

That mech is a clan Vulture. It's a canon BattleTech omnimech.

Ya, think it was the Wanzer (cant remember exactly), original that personally I liked the best of all the mechs made for Ofp, very good looking, walked, ton of huge weapons - it was reported to be replaced by some other more kinda weird looking mechs, most without legs, and the few that had them were like giant spiders, the original was just awsome - but ya, it moved like a vehicle, constant forward motion during walking, still, the thing was amazing, especially with ffur explosion/object burn enhancements, basically a town would be a lit up burning and smoking heap of rubble in a short time with that baby biggrin_o.gif

Anyhow Gl with this, look forward to seeing more stuff on this smile_o.gif

Special Ed, there were more Wanzers made, by Ocrambass, that were two-legged mechs, you should get them. Plus, the spider-like Wanzers are also available as stand-alone models, as far as the other flying ones were made, so they're still pretty cool. All Wanzers have great walking animation. As does one of my favorite non-Wanzer mechs, the GDI Titan... inlove.gif

Mechs for the win... none of that gundamn bullshittery. Man that Maddog looks awesome... hopefully you guys can get it working

Sentry:  Yep this model is mine, i used pawel's model as a picture ref because there was so little good info on the vulture omnimech, pawel's work is great but my version of the vulture is a lot cleaner and has more detail [thank the Zbrush gods] biggrin_o.gif

Most if not all models you get from those scifi model sites are complete crap when your trying to use them for generating normal maps so i needed to create a clean mesh.

Looks about he same i know, but i beefed my model up a bit. trust me i'm the last person that would ever steal work from other artists [because it happend to me a few times mad_o.gif ]