Sign in to follow this  
churnedfortaste

New sniper system?

The AI has “matrix†vision, they can even see YOU through your own monitor! smile_o.gif

I vote YES for any realistic feature, even if it is too realistic for a game biggrin_o.gif

- I want real choppers avionics, not the excuse of a "radar" we have now. I want proper instruments, target acquisition systems, proper sensors,
+1, but lot off work. Let look at what is possible in modding ? off-topic
Quote[/b] ] blablabla.
You don't like forum discussions ?
Quote[/b] ]Not stupid mouse-driven canons
You want a joystick controllable canon ? Because i haven't enough space to put a tank cockpit at home. I think it's off topic.
Quote[/b] ] I want real tanks. . And once more not this radar that is nowhere near reality
+1, but perhaps it's there because we don't have other sensors. off topic again
Quote[/b] ]I want real AAA vehicules, with their radar system simulated
Like THIS ?
Quote[/b] ] I want counter measures, tank defensive techniques implemented.
shouldn't a problem for modders.(smoke etc...)

Quote[/b] ] why going that far in the simulation in 1 topic that is already not that badly implemented ?

Because with more than 5000 topics, perhaps we can have one dedicated to sniping ? And giving an offset to scopes should not be a hard job for BI ? Less than IR-sensor or active-shielding.

Let's talk about the sniper's scope !!!!!!!!!!

Quote[/b] ] EVERY weapon would need to be elevated and take in wind
You don't want to set the elevation ? so leave it at default value like ACTUALLY in game. You won't see a difference before and after. For the wind, you don't care <500m, but Ofp was using it; i remember that the shot was sometime a little left or right (not precision here because in same conditions : same deviation). Only the wind can do that (and the earth rotation ). biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And giving an offset to scopes should not be a hard job for BI ? Less than IR-sensor or active-shielding.

Finally someone who makes sense out of it all!

I love you man biggrin_o.gif.

what i think would be funny is when this is implemented, and youve got your spotter there, you've judged the wind, you've allowed for range, you slowly aim, wait for the perfect moment.... hold your breath..... and get nailed in the face by an AK from 600 meters.

it's just a game. ;-/ people arn't deer in arma, and youll get spanked trying to pull this off on a server.

Rom, I was talking about the more "advanced" features discussed here, wind, humidity, temperature, etc...

I'm all for adjustable sights. no problem.

I just feel that going that deep (wind, humdity, temperatures, and such) in ballistic simulation would imbalance the level of simulation in regard to all the other aspect of the game. And I'm sure BI can't go that far in simulating all aspects.

Yes my examples are off-topic, my point however is not : the advanced features asked here (once more, I'm not talking about adjustable sights) are, imho, too much effort dedicated to a too little aspect of the game, disregarding too many other aspects.

And, no, wind had no effect on bullets in OFP wink_o.gif Stated and written by BI themselves somewhere on these very forums, 1 or 2 years ago.

Quote[/b] ]what i think would be funny is when this is implemented, and youve got your spotter there, you've judged the wind, you've allowed for range, you slowly aim, wait for the perfect moment.... hold your breath..... and get nailed in the face by an AK from 600 meters.

You really are new to this aren't you? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And I'm sure BI can't go that far in simulating all aspects.

Oh yes they can, go check out a game called “Sniper Elite†and you'll be surprised as to what is possible!

Quote[/b] ]Yes my examples are off-topic, my point however is not : the advanced features asked here (once more, I'm not talking about adjustable sights) are, imho, too much effort dedicated to a too little aspect of the game, disregarding too many other aspects.

Well you are wrong.

Rom, I was talking about the more "advanced" features discussed here, wind, humidity, temperature, etc...

I'm all for adjustable sights. no problem.

I just feel that going that deep (wind, humdity, temperatures, and such) in ballistic simulation would imbalance the level of simulation in regard to all the other aspect of the game. And I'm sure BI can't go that far in simulating all aspects.

Yes my examples are off-topic, my point however is not : the advanced features asked here (once more, I'm not talking about adjustable sights) are, imho, too much effort dedicated to a too little aspect of the game, disregarding too many other aspects.

And, no, wind had no effect on bullets in OFP wink_o.gif Stated and written by BI themselves somewhere on these very forums, 1 or 2 years ago.

I couldn't agree more.

I voted "yes" for adjustable sights because it would add a degree of realism without changing too much. Like some people have said: you wouldn't have to use the sight adjustment if you don't want to - and sniping would be just like it is now.

Anything beyond that is unnecessary in my opinion. I assume wind effects on bullets isn't calculated because it would just be too much to handle, especially in multiplayer. I won't even go into the topic of temperature, humidity etc. because that was obviously a joke.

Anyway, fixing bugs should take priority over adding new features, so I think we can wait a while for things like this, even if they do decide to implement them.

I'm for this, I was really hoping to see this in ArmA from the start, but I'm hoping it'll be included, even if via action menu.

I am hoping that this gets implemented, but only the basic stuff like elevation, the wind seems a bit too much, as I don't really see how you could guess the strength and direction of the wind.

Quote[/b] ] I was talking about the more "advanced" features discussed here, wind, humidity, temperature, etc...

I'm all for adjustable sights. no problem

notworthy.gif

I'll be satisfied with just the elevation. Again, i can't shoot with M24 over 800m.

For temperature and humidity, i haven't got enough CPU to see the effects. whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]it's just a game. ;-/ people arn't deer in arma, and youll get spanked trying to pull this off on a server.
If i buy Arma and put my BF2 on Ebay, this is for some reasons (numerous reasons).

Please stop considering Arma as a STRICTLY MP game, i've played 5 years with Ofp alone !

Quote[/b] ]And I'm sure BI can't go that far in simulating all aspects.

Oh yes they can, go check out a game called “Sniper Elite†and you'll be surprised as to what is possible!

I'm talking about implementing every aspect of the game at the level you ask for sniping. Ie, with real avionics, radars, tank simulations, choppers weapon handling, etc, etc...

And this, I'm sure : they don't have time nor manpower to do it. Otherwise they'd have done it already.

Like for every aspect of ArmA, there's 1 or more other game out that do this aspect better. But none of these game do ALL the aspects at the same time, like ArmA does.

You'll see only complaints on these boards about why ArmA sucks because it doesn't do this or that while "hey, look, it's easy, Game X or Y or Z already does it". All fail to see that ArmA does much more than just the feature they complain about, and that BI as simply no resource enough to implement everything up to all their customer's desires.

To put it simply, they don't have time to add wind, humidity, temperature affecting ballistic, they don't have time to rewrite their ballistic engine.

And if they take it, I'll be the first to cry on them about why they did it for sniping and have left the helicopters/tanks far away in a bad simulation state, 2 topics I personnaly prefer over sniping.

Implementing something into a game is far more than saying "it's easy, do it". There's work behind, much, much work.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Yes my examples are off-topic, my point however is not : the advanced features asked here (once more, I'm not talking about adjustable sights) are, imho, too much effort dedicated to a too little aspect of the game, disregarding too many other aspects.

Well you are wrong.

wow, that tells me alot about why I'm wrong.

Btw, how can an opinion be wrong? It's an opinion

Quote[/b] ]Like for every aspect of ArmA, there's 1 or more other game out that do this aspect better. But none of these game do ALL the aspects at the same time, like ArmA does.

You'll see only complaints on these boards about why ArmA sucks because it doesn't do this or that while "hey, look, it's easy, Game X or Y or Z already does it". All fail to see that ArmA does much more than just the feature they complain about, and that BI as simply no resource enough to implement everything up to all their customer's desires.

That game does exactly what those players want it to do, there are no complaints about it!

Yes they have enough people to fix it, may I remind you they changed the zero level of the SVD in the v1.05 patch, they can take it way farther but they simply don't give a damn!

Quote[/b] ]Btw, how can an opinion be wrong? It's an opinion

Based on false informaion.

By-the-way, kid you are not even a sniper. WTF are you doing in a sniper topic!

Open your own topic about your tanks and choppers!

Quote[/b] ]what i think would be funny is when this is implemented, and youve got your spotter there, you've judged the wind, you've allowed for range, you slowly aim, wait for the perfect moment.... hold your breath..... and get nailed in the face by an AK from 600 meters.

You really are new to this aren't you? wink_o.gif

as previous people have said, adjustable sights would be nice, but simulating all the things that go into real world sniping would make it pointless in the game. while your busy immersed in the world of ballistics, youll get killed.

edit: btw, maybe if shooting AI all day long in guard towers is your thing this would be ok, but try sighting and hitting a player running at that sort of range with all these things added in.

and hell, maybe your just *that good*, but while your that good shooting at me while im dodgying about, one of my friends will come blast you instead ;-/

Quote[/b] ]Like for every aspect of ArmA, there's 1 or more other game out that do this aspect better. But none of these game do ALL the aspects at the same time, like ArmA does.

That game does exactly what those players want it to do, there are no complaints about it!

Yes they have enough people to fix it, may I remind you they changed the zero level of the SVD in the v1.05 patch, they can take it way farther but they simply don't give a damn!

Quote[/b] ]Btw, how can an opinion be wrong? It's an opinion

Based on false informaion.

By-the-way, kid you are not even a sniper. WTF are you doing in a sniper topic!

Open your own topic about your tanks and choppers!

Changing the aimpoint defined in the P3D is easy.

Changing how the engine handles the 3D point of view and how it is coded into the weapon definition, is not.

You may know how sniping works, however you seem to have no clue how a game work, and more specifically, how ArmA handles units, weapons, P3D, and generally how the engine works.

Saying that because they changed SVD zero level, it's easy to implement adjustable sights.

It's like saying that because they changed the color of the Mi-17, they can add real IR sensor to Ka-50.

As for the "kid" part, still trying to look tough, are we? Internet in its splendor.

I said it on the other topic, stop trying to look allmighty and stop spitting on others. I'm 32, FYI. One wife, one child, soon 3. But you're still talking like you know, when you don't. It's getting tedious.

Quote[/b] ]and hell, maybe your just *that good*, but while your that good shooting at me while im dodgying about, one of my friends will come blast you instead ;-/

ROFL, I am that good. I seriously doubt you will even know where the shot came from!

Quote[/b] ]as previous people have said, adjustable sights would be nice, but simulating all the things that go into real world sniping would make it pointless in the game. while your busy immersed in the world of ballistics, youll get killed.

Dude, an AK doesn't have that range? WTF...

Quote[/b] ]As for the "kid" part, still trying to look tough, are we? Internet in its splendor.

I said it on the other topic, stop trying to look allmighty and stop spitting on others. I'm 32, FYI. One wife, one child, soon 3. But you're still talking like you know, when you don't.

Kid, you don't know anything about sniping, why are you in this topic AT ALL?

Quote[/b] ]It's like saying that because they changed the color of the Mi-17, they can add real IR sensor to Ka-50.

Not exactly.

What you should say is that YOU don't know how to do. You are the one who doesn't know how the game works by the crap you talk.

Go play with your dolls now, OK, leave the sniping thing to others who actually SNIPE!

Quote[/b] ]and hell, maybe your just *that good*, but while your that good shooting at me while im dodgying about, one of my friends will come blast you instead ;-/

ROFL, I am that good. I seriously doubt you will even know where the shot came from!

Quote[/b] ]as previous people have said, adjustable sights would be nice, but simulating all the things that go into real world sniping would make it pointless in the game. while your busy immersed in the world of ballistics, youll get killed.

Dude, an AK doesn't have that range? WTF...

Quote[/b] ]As for the "kid" part, still trying to look tough, are we? Internet in its splendor.

I said it on the other topic, stop trying to look allmighty and stop spitting on others. I'm 32, FYI. One wife, one child, soon 3. But you're still talking like you know, when you don't.

Kid, you don't know anything about sniping, why are you in this topic AT ALL?

Quote[/b] ]It's like saying that because they changed the color of the Mi-17, they can add real IR sensor to Ka-50.

Not exactly.

What you should say is that YOU don't know how to do. You are the one who doesn't know how the game works by the crap you talk.

Go play with your dolls now, OK, leave the sniping thing to others who actually SNIPE!

i was going to point out some things, but based upon the replys to the other poster, i decided its not worth it.

And leave game modding to people that actually mod.... xmas_o.gif

Unbelievable, I'll be soon forced to show my previous contributions to OFP (and hopefully soon ArmA) just to have the right to talk in these forums.

FYI, because you really seem to make a lot of assumptions about others, I'm part of a modding team making addons for OFP since... years. I don't think I'm an authority in the matter, I just have some knowledge on how the engine work. And from what you've shown up to now, more than you have.

Now, instead of bullying me about my so called lack of sniping knowledge, could you read what I wrote, and understand that my points do not concern sniping? Or understanding is too much, too.... whistle.gif

It's not like my argument are complicated, you should be able to get them

What you SHOULD say is that YOU do not have the capability to do!

As you said, you have "SOME" knowledge... not much.l

Stop talking about sniping stuff when you do not know how all those features even imply on sniping!

I got the point that YOU do not how to code that, but I'm not asking a kid like yourself to do so, now am I!

And you yourself have what knowledge of the engine? ZERO

And you come here, affirming it's easy to do and only BI being lazy.

You have zero clue about it. Zero, nada, NIL. You can insult people, call them "kids" and such all you want. You still don't know anything about how difficult it is to implement.

How is that hard to accept?

forum moderator has been contacted. sorry, but i just couldn't stand this hateful and disrespectful posts anymore. i guess our "kid-sniper-expert" amrax will have to learn to act like an adult before posting next time. icon_rolleyes.gif

ArmA is a broad infantery simulator and I do feel these narrow super features, belong is a specialized mod or addon. ArmA seems to ballance right between what's fun and what's realistic. I don't want to use a calculator to line up my shot, just to have someone survive my true shot because of lag. Nor do I want to speculate in grains, cold-bore zeroing, windage or to take humidity into account in the avarage ArmA.

amrax the sniper eliteness, the patience and maturity, you carry to your persona, I do not doubt you're indeed a natural born sniper. I'm eagerly awaiting your personal mod, because quite frankly I think BIS would probably screw your ideas up. I do fear you're confusing this place 'a gaming community' with Sniper's Paradis where wannabees shut up when BTDT snipers school them. So instead of repeating yourself, bring something to the table, maybe some credentials?

Ive voted No  in the context of PvP because as already stated normal gameplay is sometimes to fast for snipers in ArmA. in SP / Coop theres plenty of time to range up a target properly (with practice of course) wink_o.gif

Just because your preferred style of PvP is "too fast" does not mean that all PvP is too fast for this to have a noticeable effect.

please read my post as you've obviously missed this section of the sentence:

"in SP / Coop theres plenty of time to range up a target properly "