Sign in to follow this  
lilwillie

ArmA vs. ArmA Combat Operations

If anyone could please. I am looking for clarification or a official response from BIS that it's US version to be published by Atari will be fully compatible with Armed Assault as we know it and play it.

I've already seen posts on the Atari forums for Arma with questions of "what will be different" and what the US version will have that the UK version won't. I think the talk of the A-10 in the Atari release and nothing mentioned for the other versions has started some confusion among newer players to the BIS world.

I've made the ass-umption that both versions will be identical and that the only difference is in name only. All patches for all versions will make the game playable in MP no matter the publisher. I've put the cart before the horse and posted in the Atari forum under "Dnalur" to try and let people know that as far as I have read. All published versions worldwide will be compatible in MP.

Would someone be kind enough to help me find the official info I need for clarification.

I believe all the US gamers are asking this, surely it cannot be a language difference since the UK version is in english - I have posted the following in the Atari forums:

Quote[/b] ]With all the excitement of the game, I can't help but to wonder why the US is being released something different than the rest of the world is.

This question is for Atari -

1) Why is the US version different from the world release version?

2) What are the differences between the 2 versions?

3) If a patch is required for our players across the pond (UK) to play, then what are we or they missing? - It cannot be a language difference as the UK version is in english.

but there has been no response - Im sure they know this question was coming & should already have a prepared answer.

I just want to know why should I buy the Atari version? I play online with players worldwide, not just within the US. Is it fair to any of us to be forced to add a patch just so that the 2 games are compatible?

When did these forums become a home for conspiracy nuts? tounge2.gif

YES the US version will be different OUT OF THE BOX.

The US version is likely to be 1.06, or even .07/8/9 depending on what BI patch in the mean time.

The US version looks to contain extra content OUT OF THE BOX (the A-10 and some missions for example)

BUT everything will be brought into line with patches for all other versions (exactly the same way as the UK version was ahead of the DE/CZ/PL/RU versions)

why is there always that ridiculous fear of the new release not being compatible with the previous releases?

the same happened before the UK/505 version was released.

i've never experienced this with any other game. only ArmA players seem to be so paranoid as to suspect the various versions will not be compatible. grow a brain.

Maybe its a fear maybe only little bit nervous about "exclusive content".

Some czech/german and other players gettin angry that one mission "blood,sweat and tears" was not released in all-in-one patch v.105. They are again afraid that BIS in US-Release put some objects/vehicle like A-10 and missions "exclusive for US customers only....".

Maybe its a fear maybe only little bit nervous about "exclusive content".

Some czech/german and other players gettin angry that one mission "blood,sweat and tears" was not released in all-in-one patch v.105. They are again afraid that BIS in US-Release put some objects/vehicle like A-10 and missions "exclusive for US customers only....".

vehicles would be used online. if placed in maps, those maps would not be compatible with other game versions. this is not gonna happen. no way.

exclusive SP content, that's another story. it sucks when it happens, but there are ways... whistle.gif

actually there is something more to fuel this theory smile_o.gif

why GameSpy master now contain two strings for Armed Assault ?

and i'm pretty sure one of them is new (and lists just 0 servers)

not to mention it's linked to GameSpy arcade room ...

what a wonderful world of conspiracies yay.gif

what a wonderful world of conspiracies  yay.gif

Maybe GameSpy are just daft... wink_o.gif

what a wonderful world of conspiracies  yay.gif

I think the games will be MP compatible... all versions will get the extra content, but not any SP missions Like BS&T. This makes perfect sense. For it to be compatible online, who cares about an SP mission.

As for gamespy, could they have set up two areas one for US one for Europe, just to keep like-ping players together?

BUT everything will be brought into line with patches for all other versions (exactly the same way as the UK version was ahead of the DE/CZ/PL/RU versions)

Do you believe in fairy tales?..

If the 505 is exactly the same as the DE/CZ/PL/RU-version, i don't understand the absence of a mission?

I expect the same exclusive crap like with the 505-Version.

Bye

boecko

Is the mission breaking their online experience?

Is the mission ommiting aspects of gameplay?

A mission is not a vehicle, and should not alter the experience as a vehicle does. Have you recieved the m107 sniper rifle in a patch? I have. Have you recieved the M16a4 variant in a patch? I have. Will you recieve the A10 in a patch? No certainty but the trend does point in that direction.

Can a mod lift this cloud of doubt and cynicism please? Isn't there a command for that? Prozac for the masses please tounge2.gif

If the 505 is exactly the same as the DE/CZ/PL/RU-version, i don't understand the absence of a mission?

Bye

boecko

You know, i'd be uber-happy once the day comes when

people would complain about having different sp/missions

with their different ArmA versions - instead of pointing

with fingers onto every single issue which looks like to

be a bug.

But i'm really scared of that day that each version would

be bugfree and would contain exactly the same stuff no

matter which ArmA out of the box version you got.

What would happen to the lifes of all those complainers?

However, i'm sure they wouldn't die from boredom since there's always something to complain about in this world. biggrin_o.gif

~S~ CD

Is the mission breaking their online experience?

Is the mission ommiting aspects of gameplay?

Yes, it does affect my gameplay . I can't play it, because i'm one of the poor souls who helped to alphatest the first release.

Not everyone on this planet is in MP.

I want to hear the whining, when the MP part would be as crap as the campaign is.

You know, i'd be uber-happy once the day comes when

people would complain about having different sp/missions

with their different ArmA versions - instead of pointing

with fingers onto every single issue which looks like to

be a bug.

I know how to deal with nit-pickers. Move it to "Features". Bugs come first.

I have no problem with other people getting exclusive content for waiting longer, but i haven't played Armed Assault until patch 1.05 (we know the reasons). So my advantage of having it first is non existent.

But i'm really scared of that day that each version would

be bugfree and would contain exactly the same stuff no

matter which ArmA out of the box version you got.

What would happen to the lifes of all those complainers?

However, i'm sure they wouldn't die from boredom since there's always something to complain about in this world.  biggrin_o.gif

~S~ CD

Yeah .. i'm scared, too. When this day arrives, we have to shut down the bugtracker.  rofl.gif

Omg gimme a break with this alpha/beta tester crap icon_rolleyes.gif

I know i said the same but that was in the V1.10 era and much happened since then.

As it been said numerous times before noone was forced to buy the game when it was released... as if we didnt expect it to be buggy at version 1.00.

OFP became really good after few patches and at least the ArmA patches dont seem to add much more bugs like some of the early OFP patches ( Ai not wanting to board a boat or land a helicopter anyone? ).

Lately you see lots of devs being active here answering questions and fixing up stuff so i dont think anyone can say BIS doesnt care.

And its not like the world will collapse if we have to wait a while till the patch is out and unifies all versions.

And if you really need this one lil exlusive mission then its pretty easy to get it...

My take on it is that it will go down exactly like 1.04, maybe slightly moreso. The change in name is to satisfy the distinctive habits of the american consumer. Either way, we will know for certain within 2 months!

Bye

boecko

Missions and campaigns are the only things BIS or the publishers can really make exlusive. If you're worried about not getting the new vehicles then don't be, they're more or less required for the versions to be compatable in MP. Missions on the other hand don't alter any of the potential gameplay. I say potential because missions only utilize the already available content and engine capability, they don't add any functionality to the game, and they can be easily created within the game program itself.

I wouldn't consider exlusive missions being anything that has any significant impact on the gameplay between the different versions. Missions really only have one potential use (playing it), where other content (vehicles, weapons, engine features, etc...) has much more potential and actual use. You wouldn't really want to just keep playing the same mission over and over again, but you can use the same vehicles or weapons over and over again in different missions and still be satisfied. Campaigns are probably more significant in terms of gameplay, but are still only a collection of missions. You can still use the game to the same amount of potential without them. But to be honest there's nothing really too exclusive about them anyway. They could easily be obtained if you desire them. You should also try to understand that BIS is not necessarily responsable for exclusive content, the publisher can easily add their own and decide who should be allowed to have it. If it were soley BI's decision, I'm sure they wouldn't want to nor have any reason to give any one group of customers a different game than the others.

Looking very forward to the 1.06 patch which will bring new content (A-10) and the fix some more bugs (view distance / fog). I fully expect that the American Atari version will be 1.06 and the balance of us will be patched either before or just after the Atari release, just like the 505 release.

Patch 1.05 cleared up some problems, I'm sure hoping that 1.06 will do the same. For future patches, consider optimizing for dual/quad core cpu's and SLI.

Waiting patiently and enjoying ARMA in the mean time.

but there has been no response - Im sure they know this question was coming & should already have a prepared answer.

I was your only response, and I did so just to keep the worrying down for the new players in the Atari forum wondering about the game.

The same group that I argued with in the community forum section when Atari was announced they where the pub.

Atari forum discussion

So many people expect BIS to roll over for Atari because of Atari's history. I argued, and didn't seem to make any ground, that BIS controls their game and Atari is along for the ride. BIS supports it's community and appreciates them. Those who responded didn't think so it seemed.

As the others have mentioned. I see no reason the games will be different other then in name only for marketing reasons in the US.

But like you I'd like to see the official response so the worrying stops.