Sign in to follow this  
Kwato

Fps counter

I want to see how I can improve the look of Arma with my not so great config and I'd need a simple to use fps counter so I can change a few settings and see what it does to my frame rates.

Can someone give me a link?

I have tried searching with fps + counter, but I didn't really find anything useful, I don't want no benchmark program or anything. Thanks.

I want to see how I can improve the look of Arma with my not so great config and I'd need a simple to use fps counter so I can change a few settings and see what it does to my frame rates.

Can someone give me a link?

I have tried searching with fps + counter, but I didn't really find anything useful, I don't want no benchmark program or anything. Thanks.

Google, serach FRAPS, use the free version!

Thanks, I don't know why but I always thought FRAPS was just a tool to do screen captures and to record movies, I didn't realize it had a fps counter too.

Fraps is awesome, screenshots, benchmarks, videos FPS counters what more could you ask for ... yay.gif

FRAPS is good but not reliable as a Frame Counter. Most of the frame count actually goes on running FRAPS itself. You can check this by pressing 'record' and watching the frame count plummet (FRAPS is working harder).

Aside from that interjection, I don't have a solution I'm afraid.

Quote[/b] ]Most of the frame count actually goes on running FRAPS itself. You can check this by pressing 'record' and watching the frame count plummet (FRAPS is working harder).

Uh, really? Capturing video makes the frame rate drop? Oh noes, what an awful program rofl.gif

Seriously though, if you get a huge fps drop when capturing video, the problem is most likely a slow hard drive, not Fraps itself.

Fraps is awesome, screenshots, benchmarks, videos FPS counters what more could you ask for ...  yay.gif

Yes, I use FRAPS. It is very good... wink_o.gif

Why doesn't BIS just give us an FPS counter with the game? There must be some performance measuring functionality built into the 3D/game engine already? What can it hurt if performance meters are given with the game? Why disable them?

Why doesn't BIS just give us an FPS counter with the game? There must be some performance measuring functionality built into the 3D/game engine already? What can it hurt if performance meters are given with the game? Why disable them?

When BIS had implemented a fps counter in the game, they feared that everyone would stop playing the game the day they got it.

Hint: German 1.00 release performance biggrin_o.gif

FRAPS is good but not reliable as a Frame Counter.  Most of the frame count actually goes on running FRAPS itself.  You can check this by pressing 'record' and watching the frame count plummet (FRAPS is working harder).

Doh? It does display the real FPS and the reduced FPS when recording, because recording is hardware intensive.

If the game is running smoothly then most people don't care what the FPS is smile_o.gif .

If the game is running smoothly then most people don't care what the FPS is smile_o.gif .

An in game FPS counter would be great, till then fraps is a nice guide to what settings just ate your fps.

It's not 100% accurate, but its good enough.

not sure, but i heard fraps is taking some fps away without recording, just being activ costs some frames, i don't know, it's just what i heard from different sides...

Fraps sucks, real games include FPS counters, just another reason not to buy/play ARMA

Fraps sucks, real games include FPS counters, just another reason not to buy/play ARMA

"Sh1fty sucks, real forumers include content in their posts, just another reason to not read his useless waste of posts"

-Constructive criticism is fine around here, senseless bashing however, is not. It's very easy to think that it's actually a good thing that people like you don't play the game.

-Anyway, I've used fraps for a couple of years for taking Screenshots etc. and it's fine. Seeing "approximate" FPS values ingame is a nice bonus too, but the most important thing is how smooth it feels for you.

What's really important for the right feeling in a game is that there aren't short sudden drops in framerate and a normal FPS counter will not really show them anyway (looking into the fraps options, it may be at least possible to log min/avg/max FPS). It's entirely possible to be shown a fine framerate but still having a not playable game due to this problems with min FPS (not that I noticed these with ArmA, it's just an example for the shortcomings of simple FPS counters).

Another thing that's good to know is that you can run into problems when using other programs that show info on the game screen too. Teamspeak overlay probably would not work correctly, ATI Tray Tools OSD (nice to see ingame how much video memory is free, temperatures, other stuff and a simple fps counter too) will often just disappear too, and probably GameCam and Fraps don't like each other for the same reason too.

FRAPS is good but not reliable as a Frame Counter.  Most of the frame count actually goes on running FRAPS itself.  You can check this by pressing 'record' and watching the frame count plummet (FRAPS is working harder).

Doh? It does display the real FPS and the reduced FPS when recording, because recording is hardware intensive.

Sigh...

My answer was just an alluded example of why FRAPS isn't accurate.  Why would you need to 'record' to test the FPS anyway?  It's just an extreme suggestion to show why the programme can be up to 10% out.  I wrote it to point out FRAPS isn't 100% (thank you for agreeing dirtylarrygb) so that players wouldn't get upset if for some reason they were displaying 15fps.

Bore yourself with some more accurate findings;

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/fraps.html

Oh, I thought you were commenting that it shows inaccurate FPS if you record.

Why would you need to 'record' to test the FPS anyway?

You dont? Check the options mate wink_o.gif