Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

College Life goin down the tubes?

Something is happening to me, it's really quite saddening and aggravating.

In high school, I graduated 39th in my class out of 300 students. A 3.8GPA, and high honors. Come college, first semester I manage to sink a 3.4GPA.. Now this semester, I am dropping a required math class, and picking up easy classes to keep the 'full time insurance' coverage under my parent's plan.

My exam's show how well I am doing. 66% in PC Programming 1. 62% in Criminal Justice. 19% in Math. Compaired to last semesters 96% in Programming. 84% in English and 92% in Math. My classes have been mushed together from a 5 day school week to a 2 day school week.

My grades are slipping, I'm staying in for tutoring, I'm working as hard as I can, but I am not understanding anything. I'm falling behind and fear the worst. I've started to admire the other kids in college for the work they somehow can understand. Me, I'll be told the information, understand it, then forget it 1 minute later.

It's turning more and more into a "why should I be here" experience. Than a "college" experience. Anyone been in a tough spot like this? I'm even staying up till 1am on a night when I have to be at work in 4.5 hours..

Vik

- Oh, and just to save the time: It takes me over an hour to get to school, and costs 10+ for parking, 10+ fot food, and I make only 90 a week. Spend 40 on gas. I'm always broke. Going to school 5 days in a row is something I cannot merely afford.

- I don't smoke/drink/druginize anything.

Dude, a good advise for you.

Instead of studying up until late etc. Go up an hour early and take a swim in your local swimmingpool, or go take a run for 30 minutes. Get home, take a shower and go to school. I will promise you it helps on your concentration abilities.

On top of this - Eat more fruit. If you are like me, you prefer meat over almost anything green, but serously - try and eat one piece of fruit to every meal you eat - it also helps on your concentration abilities.

Anyway, you will see results within a couple of days by running (just start out by running 3 days a week. - that's 1,5 hours of training each week, its not that much).

Cheers, and good luck.

welcome to college. Highschool was nothing compared to college. When you are in college you are always tested and it's discipline that will get you through. I was near 4.0 student in highschool, but I ended up with 3.1 GPA in college.

This topic is too OT. I will give 24hrs before I close it.

welcome to college. Highschool was nothing compared to college. When you are in college you are always tested and it's discipline that will get you through. I was near 4.0 student in highschool, but I ended up with 3.1 GPA in college.

take time off at some of those exciting frat parties i hear about in the movies. biggrin_o.gif

Welcome to college!

Just try to follow all the classes and keep up with your homework, doing so will make you easily pass your exams. The times in highschool where you could study one day in advance is over. Don't forget that you are doing this for yourself and for your future career, not just to pass college...

Quote[/b] ]- Oh, and just to save the time: It takes me over an hour to get to school, and costs 10+ for parking, 10+ fot food, and I make only 90 a week. Spend 40 on gas. I'm always broke. Going to school 5 days in a row is something I cannot merely afford.

Go live near campus. A lot of people over here thought they would be able to travel hours to school. Now those people have either moved to near the campus or quited.

Quote[/b] ]- I don't smoke/drink/druginize anything.

Start doing it, you're supposed to have a fun time in college. Not just only the learning experience college.

Quote[/b] ]This topic is too OT. I will give 24hrs before I close it.

Maybe merge it into the college topic instead...

Instead of studying up until late etc. Go up an hour early and take a swim in your local swimmingpool, or go take a run for 30 minutes. Get home, take a shower and go to school. I will promise you it helps on your concentration abilities.

In extent to what Espectro just said, make sure that you sleep enough, let's say 8 hours a day.

Just concentrate, and take Espectro recommendations under advisment. And keep at it ... just think of the advantages in the long term smile_o.gif However, if you really feel its not for you then perhaps talk to some of the learning support staff where you study and perhaps get a job? The College I go to all the support staff are really helpful!

Oh yea, and have fun!

I'm at the University right now, and have never had so much fun in my life... If you have fun, you get 'extra mental power'! I mean it! Have fun, mate... And start drinking, damnit!

/Off to party, have fun, guys! smile_o.gif

Just get a motocross (125cc or 250cc reccommended), get a buddy that gets one of the same/or alike kind, preferably the same cc, and then just race around as hell.

Be aware though, motocrosses tend to use up alot of gas = expensive tounge2.gif

But, I promise you, it's worth it wink_o.gif

Ralph and Ironsight is right on this issue. Study, do your assignments, and participate in class would at least help you get decent grades. Since you got a 3.4 last semester, you could be in a slump and it isn't the end of the world. Or, maybe you cannot handle all those classes in those two days.

I don't know what 'full time insurance', is, or what it refers to. Being a full time student here, entitles me to concessional discounts (movies, transport, health care, e.t.c.)

There was one point in time where I was working 40 hour weeks, on top of 20 uni contact hours (4 subjects) plus assignments, tests, e.t.c, on top of a healthy social life.

I was flat out, and it almost killed me...... literally.

I quit working full time to a couple of shifts per week, reduced my study load less one subject per semester, (which prolonged my course an extra year). My grades got better, I had more time, I met my lady freind, and life became rosy!

I'm in my last year now. (Can't be bothered doing masters/PhD (yet)..... I want to earn money!wink_o.gif

My advice: Study hard, but give yourself breathing space. If you can't make ends meet, consider reducing your study load to enable yourself to earn money.

The university experience is so much better, when you don't have to walk around like Mr Tight Ass!

I don't know what 'full time insurance', is, or what it refers to. Being a full time student here, entitles me to concessional discounts (movies, transport, health care, e.t.c.)

There was one point in time where I was working 40 hour weeks, on top of 20 uni contact hours (4 subjects) plus assignments, tests, e.t.c, on top of a healthy social life.

I was flat out, and it almost killed me...... literally.

I quit working full time to a couple of shifts per week, reduced my study load less one subject per semester, (which prolonged my course an extra year). My grades got better, I had more time, I met my lady freind, and life became rosy!

I'm in my last year now. (Can't be bothered doing masters/PhD (yet)..... I want to earn money!wink_o.gif

My advice: Study hard, but give yourself breathing space. If you can't make ends meet, consider reducing your study load to enable yourself to earn money.

The university experience is so much better, when you don't have to walk around like Mr Tight Ass!

Luckily we get paid to study here in Denmark, and there is always free healthcare wink_o.gif. I can imagine it being much harder when you have to earn a living WHILE studying.

I do work, but only a few hours, just to get a little more than the 600 euro I get from the government. (Extra money = more beer!wink_o.gif

I do work, but only a few hours, just to get a little more than the 600 euro I get from the government. (Extra money = more beer!wink_o.gif

Damn I must be in the wrong country, I get only 90 euro per month...

Seems that us guys in the UK get the raw end of the deal then ... tuition costs, part time jobs, accommodation costs ... crazy_o.gif

Seems that us guys in the UK get the raw end of the deal then ... tuition costs, part time jobs, accommodation costs ...  crazy_o.gif

its ok, most people who go to university have loaded parents despite what they tell you.  Those who dont reviece sufficiant goverment grants and loans.  The extra money needed is a result of the inevatable social costs.

Seems that us guys in the UK get the raw end of the deal then ... tuition costs, part time jobs, accommodation costs ... crazy_o.gif

its ok, most people who go to university have loaded parents despite what they tell you. Those who dont reviece sufficiant goverment grants and loans. The extra money needed is a result of the inevatable social costs.

Yea, but that's the good thing about Denmark - University is free, and you get enough money from the gov to live (not much more, though after apartment etc. is payed).

Anyway, back to topic.

Have fun, mate. May I ask, why are you only studying two days a week?

In Scotland you don't have to pay any fee's like England students have to. Unless your staying in University accomodation.

Anyway with all these 'universitities' in the UK have just become another four years without having to work. Too many obscure degrees and students think they know bloody everything.

The only decent universitites are the old ones like Aberdeen, Oxford etc.

In Scotland you don't have to pay any fee's like England students have to. Unless your staying in University accomodation.

Anyway with all these 'universitities' in the UK have just become another four years without having to work. Too many obscure degrees and students think they know bloody everything.

Dont u have 'stoptests' every semester?

its ok, most people who go to university have loaded parents despite what they tell you. Those who dont reviece sufficiant goverment grants and loans. The extra money needed is a result of the inevatable social costs.

But what about those parents who won't give you any financial help, yet the Government expects them to, so they don't get any benefits ... Nevertheless I'll find sources of income. I just think the UK system is unfair on students who have wealthy parents who won't spend any of it on there child. That way they neither get the governments benefits, nor the rich parents.

Dont u have 'stoptests' every semester?

Don't know mate im not at University. One of my mate' is and they have to do essays and assesments every so often.

This is a true story i got so hooked with OFP i nearly failed my GCSEs [uK] .. i thought to myself WTF lets put OFP aside this is my future life its going to ruin, so i stuck in and came out on top, then after that it was back to OFP tounge2.gif Until my A levels then degree, now back to ArmA tounge2.gif

But what about those parents who won't give you any financial help, yet the Government expects them to, so they don't get any benefits ... Nevertheless I'll find sources of income. I just think the UK system is unfair on students who have wealthy parents who won't spend any of it on there child. That way they neither get the governments benefits, nor the rich parents.

Thats what happened to me, My parents earned over the max limit so i couldn't get any free grants while my friends could, this forced me into a part time job as i was studying to try and pay for uni, and i can tell you it was hard work sad_o.gif I think its very unfair just because my parents earned tonnes of cash by the time they have paid all there bills there was hardly nothing left so how could they help me pay for uni so for people like us it was a no win no win situation.

Thats what happened to me, My parents earned over the max limit so i couldn't get any free grants while my friends could, this forced me into a part time job as i was studying to try and pay for uni, and i can tell you it was hard work sad_o.gif I think its very unfair just because my parents earned tonnes of cash by the time they have paid all there bills there was hardly nothing left so how could they help me pay for uni so for people like us it was a no win no win situation.

Thats exactly the situation I'm in mate. Going Birmingham University to do a Degree in Sociology in Sept and my parents have just bought a new house so their skint.

And yet I'll hardly qualify for any government no returns loans, I was thinking of going Plymouth which I could travel from Cornwall everyday as a cheaper option.

But I want the expierence if you know what I mean. At the end of the day I would just be happy with having the Degree, of course it would be awesome if I could get a well paying job after though!

No offense to you guys personally, Matt and Infamous, but maybe your parents should have thought about what they are buying and instead invested the money into your college education. My parents never had money, and I couldn't go to school until i was 25 because I had to live on my own at the age of 19 (they split up, remarried someone else, and moved away). I work full-time, go to school, AND work on OFP/ArmA stuff. Not to mention trying to hold a decent relationship with my future wife. The money I borrow for to pay for school I must pay back (most of it) plus interest. I honestly believe all education/health care should be free but my opinion aside... your parents should be able to provide you with some support if the government says they earn a specific amount. If they won't support you, perhaps you should ask them why. Not to mention, I also see women with children and the only support they get from their parents is a good babysitter while they try and improve their life do far better than I do.

Regardless of where you come from, college is tough as hell. I don't get the 4.0GPA either. I am holding above 3.0 just like some others have stated. My goal is graduation. Depending on your degree and where you live, it may not matter what your GPA is. Don't get caught into that trap that you MUST get solid A's. A does not mean "average" for a reason. Only a few should do so well.