Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

BIS needs to decide...

Does it bother anyone else that the Army is using mostly Marine Corps equipment in this game? I mean for chrisssake, in the latest patch, the M1030/KLR650 still says "USMC" on the side. How difficult would that have been to take off? Not difficult at all. Come on...

Also bothers me that the Humvees in the game use the latest style hardtop with A/C vents yet they do not incorporate the M1151/M1152/M1114 front grille extension, armor additions, or even armored doors. The doors represented in the game are made completely of fiberglass IRL. Far from bulletproof.

Another thing that bothers me is that M923's are still in the game. The Army uses FMTV's now for the most part. They may be a piece of shit in real life but they could at least be represented in the game.

One last thing, it's too bad that scripting or support for trailers wasn't incorporated into the game as trailers and such are an essential part of military mobility.... plus it's cool to tow things around.

blackdog

Elite Marine Delta Seal Team Module Team Leader

PS: I don't have anything else to complain about at the moment, 1.05 has solved a lot of the really bothersome gameplay issues and I thank BIS for this.

No, can't say it does.

I guess it's true you really can't please everyone.

Also bothers me that the Humvees in the game use the latest style hardtop with A/C vents yet they do not incorporate the M1151/M1152/M1114 front grille extension, armor additions, or even armored doors. The doors represented in the game are made completely of fiberglass IRL. Far from bulletproof.

I've tested their resistance to AK-74 in 1.05 - it's "OK". Driver doesn't get killed if i shoot in the side door window.

And i always thought that it's the USMC, not the Army, represented in the game.

Well...

We've got...

... for the USMC:

AH-1

M1030

AV-8

... for the Army:

UH-60

Stryker

Soldiers (ECU Pattern)

MH-6

AH-6

... for both:

Humvees (albeit incorrect/functioning)

RHIB

... for neither:

M-923 (outdated)

M-163 (so outdated it's not even funny, replaced by the Avenger, which has been since replaced by... not sure...)

M-923 (outdated)

M-163 (so outdated it's not even funny, replaced by the Avenger, which has been since replaced by... not sure...)

The M-923 may be old but it's still in use.

I agree on the Vulcan though.

While I agree that it would be ideal to represent the real equipment used accurately, these details have no impact on gameplay beyond immersion. To this end, most users will enjoy being able to identify familiar common weapons and the game achieves this well enough. Accurately modeling things like specific air conditioning vents and sleeve rolls is a lot of effort to slightly improve the satisfaction given to maybe 5% of the user base. Law of diminishing returns and all that smile_o.gif

US Officer is wearing a USMC cap...

And why doesn't BLUFOR use Javelins, SMAWs or SRAWs (like in BF2).

http://www.armedassault.com/story.html

This web page says it's Army.

It's both, as I understand it.

In the campagin, as I understand it, the Army requests the marines to help them out or some such. Thus the diversity.

Could be that the developers had free ofp/vbs-ready USMC & Army models, which they then converted to ArmA and developed a story around it.. I'm not too sure about that though.

I still believe they did it to appease both the Army and USMC as a promotional tool.

given their interests in VBS etc, would it surprise you to think that they didn't want to release something that comprised an entirely accurate and up-to-date kit selection for the USMC or Army, thus making a part of the VBS package defunct?

why pay $2000 a pop, when something similiar goes for $40? I can cope with their being an open ended decision on what Kit there is, but I guess the US army really doesn't interest me, so fair enough there will be those who get 'annoyed' seeing the wrong kit. I certainly would if they did a similiar thing with a British package.

PS: I don't have anything else to complain about at the moment, 1.05 has solved a lot of the really bothersome gameplay issues and I thank BIS for this.

Good to see a positive comment from you for a change... wink_o.gif

I see how the discrepancies could bother some people. I personally don't really mind though, as I know that once the tools are released, there are going to be plenty of high quality mods to make up for such things.

I can't help but look at ArmA as more of an open sandbox style game. I had more fun with OFP mods and the editor than I did with the official content. The first-rate editor and the community make ArmA, like OFP, a game of unlimited possibilities. biggrin_o.gif

Good to see a positive comment from you for a change...  wink_o.gif

Just wait until he finds out about the head shooting problem!  tounge2.gif

it does bother me a bit, too. sad_o.gif it has no impact on gameplay, but it would certainly help the atmosphere to distinguish more clearly between Army and Marines.

the easiest thing to do would be to add some Marine infantry to go with the tanks and the aircraft as well as the newly added M-16A4 assault rifles. maybe even add an LAV or an AAV, which would really come in handy on an island.

the Vulcan AAA system can easily be explained, though: both sides need to have similar weapon systems available for balance reasons. the east has the Shilka which is must-have for them. the only alternative to the west is the Vulcan. the Avenger or Patriot would upset the balance. whistle.gif

the Vulcan AAA system can easily be explained, though: both sides need to have similar weapon systems available for balance reasons. the east has the Shilka which is must-have for them. the only alternative to the west is the Vulcan. the Avenger or Patriot would upset the balance.  whistle.gif

What about Linebacker? Weaker cannon weapon but has Stinger!!!!1111

Or better still replace Shilka with Tunguska to go with the new US Linebacker.

And don't tell me Tunguska is too advanced for such a tinpot little country like Sahrani. They have the Su-34 for crying out loud.

Quote[/b] ]And don't tell me Tunguska is too advanced for such a tinpot little country like Sahrani. They have the Su-34 for crying out loud.

The tuguska is too advanced for a tinpot little country like Sahrani - although I only say this because 1. It is, and 2. So is the Su-34 and 3. So is the Kamov.

rather a hind and a old Mig biggrin_o.gif

Actually, I couldn't care less if it was 100% marines or 100% army. It's more or less explained in the campain why they have leftovers of both. If I had to chose, I'd take Marines though because it makes more sense to me (and for the Harrier).

On the other hand, I'm way more skeptical about the SLA arsenal : they only have T72 but on the other hand they have SU34 (with no proper landing strip) and Kamov 50 huh.gif?

Given that Ka50's gun is fixed, It would've made more sense to put the hind with a gunner to be fair against the Cobra... and the hind looks wicked too.

Actually, I couldn't care less if it was 100% marines or 100% army. It's more or less explained in the campain why they have leftovers of both. If I had to chose, I'd take Marines though because it makes more sense to me (and for the Harrier).

On the other hand, I'm way more skeptical about the SLA arsenal : they only have T72 but on the other hand they have SU34 (with no proper landing strip) and Kamov 50 huh.gif?

Given that Ka50's gun is fixed, It would've made more sense to put the hind with a gunner to be fair against the Cobra... and the hind looks wicked too.

I don't care if the SU34 isn't accurate, it's f**king AWESOME! notworthy.gif

I love that thing so much inlove.gif

Does it bother anyone else that the Army is using mostly Marine Corps equipment in this game? I mean for chrisssake, in the latest patch, the M1030/KLR650 still says "USMC" on the side. How difficult would that have been to take off? Not difficult at all. Come on...

Another thing that bothers me is that M923's are still in the game. The Army uses FMTV's now for the most part. They may be a piece of shit in real life but they could at least be represented in the game.

One last thing, it's too bad that scripting or support for trailers wasn't incorporated into the game as trailers and such are an essential part of military mobility.... plus it's cool to tow things around.

blackdog

Elite Marine Delta Seal Team Module Team Leader

To be honest, it doesn't bother me.

i thought this new patch 1.05 would bring us more units (soldiers/vehicles) and it only brought us 1 new addon and buged..

well would be nice to know when bis will release the tools to the addon makers.

i thought this new patch 1.05 would bring us more units (soldiers/vehicles) and it only brought us 1 new addon and buged..

Forgive me my ignorance but which addon is it you're talking about?

The SU34 was added in 1.05 though those who had 1.04 already had it.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the CH-47 hasn't made an appearance especially since it would fit in with the US forces withdrawing from the island

Quote[/b] ]i thought this new patch 1.05 would bring us more units (soldiers/vehicles) and it only brought us 1 new addon and buged..

Are you talking about the Su34, the Motorbike, the new Rifle ? (yes that already makes three...)

The SU34 was added in 1.05 though those who had 1.04 already had it.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the CH-47 hasn't made an appearance especially since it would fit in with the US forces withdrawing from the island

erm, aren't you forgetting something here? two motorbikes? scoped AK-74? a range of M-16A4 rifles? anti-material rifles?

still, i'm waiting for the CH-47, the AH-64, the HIND, the A-10, the M-2 Bradley and everything else that i thought would be included since it was already in OpF.