Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA MP since 1.05 Excelent

Shortly after updating to 1.05 some missions had really bad strange lag. Then I remembered that BIS updated all marker commands to be global. That meant each player running a marker script that used to be local under 1.02 was now global in 1.05 and so every client was broadcasting marker information to every other client and it was not good for latency.

I went through and updated all the scripts in my CTF's C&H sector controls, and a few missions that aren't mine but needed updating, and presto! 40+ players, no lag at all.

We were in the middle of a sector control with 5 tanks per side, several other vehicles like BRDM's and Strykers, and 2 choppers per side with about 40 players and I couldn't believe there were that many playing with stable pings. It was intense.

Even at its best, OFP would get some lag with 20+ players.

There's still stuff that needs fixing, but this is MP as it was meant to be played.

I agree karrillion as I was playing on your server over the weekend. It was fun. The fact that it felt like COD but with more players, huge maps and vehicles was astounding! It must also be noted that I only played MP on the internet in OFP one time.

The gametype possibilities are endless with this game.

--Ben

What do you mean by Markers? or marker Scripts?

I have a huge popular mission, and I'd like to make sure it too is optomized...

Russ

What do you mean by Markers? or marker Scripts?

I have a huge popular mission, and I'd like to make sure it too is optomized...

Russ

There are several scripting commands that update markers for players on their map : circles around towns and bases turning red or green, new objectives appearing, etc...

You change these attributes with commands setMarkerXXX, XX being "pos" or "color", or "type", or "shape", etc...

Before, setMarkerXXX command would only change the marker on the PC where the command was launched. So mission scripts usually launch this command on every PC connected to update the map markers.

BUT, now, setMarkerXXX commands have global effect and update the marker even on remote PCs. That means that when you launch a setMarkerXXX command on a PC, this PC will send update packets to everyone. If you want to update only local PC marker, you need to use setMarkerXXXLocal command (which are newly introduced).

So, if you take the old missions without changing, every marker update will force every PC to send update packets to every other PC in game, resulting in a big network load that is not necessary. So you usually need simply to replace all setMarkerXXX commands in your missions by corresponding setMarkerXXXLocal commands. This will revert to previous behavior and no network load

Zaphod has updated the map pack to v1.2 with a ton of changes, including a script that marks mines (red) and satchels (yellow) on the map as you place them. Also, bases are closer to Arcadia for CQB.

http://www.get42.com/

i was on UMPC with 60 ppl on it, and it was nice and laggy whistle.gif

maybe there using the new SQF scripts with there missions which helps the server?

Sorry my servers been down, but did anyone who played allday wednsday, and thursday have any lag issues when we got up to 60 people?

I noticed that people kinda skipped forward a bit from time to time, especially when i was trying to hit moving targets with the sniper rifle.

but thats in almost all other 60 man games when sniping

To me, seems to depend on the missions used, which is no surprise for these early days as mish makers come to grips with the differences from OFP.

And I'm not talking the number of scripts, I'm talking good code.

We have had 60+ ppl on the OGN server with ppls pings ranging from 10 to 400 and on some/most missions it runs beautiful (its high spec server) but in other cases the first 10 minutes (or even the whole mission) turn to laggy shyt.

Its more common to see 20-40 ppl on but I think I'm seeing some particular missions which always give trouble.

Sounds like a great opportunity for profiling tools. Do any exist for OpFlash scripts? I would think that they'd be pretty easy to adapt for ArmA.

Rules for a non-lag 60+ player server:

- disable ingame voice

- disable ALL! custom files like faces and sounds!

- for sure: have a fast machine to run the server *jokingly*

- admins: have an eye to high pingers above 300ms

- players: download map pack and put it into MPMissions

* coop maps cannot reach the same player count as maps without AI .. (server calculates AI players ..)

* forget maps created under ArmA 1.02 (as described by Karillion above)

* You figured out problems with player max on your server? Close it BEFORE you reach your individual maximum

thats all folks ...

64 players with these rules are no problem ...

up to 80 players are possible in some cases.

hopefully netcode will be able to serve 100+ players soon!

have fun... yay.gif

well anyone with these ~65 servers got numbers of memory used ? it's 1GB or it can spike up higher (like 2GB) ?

btw. related to no lag and problems ... made sure You use some qualite NIC (ideal INTEL, 3COM server or PRO+ models) ...

I am very impressed the performance of 1.05 MP Arma its rly runs smooth with huge stuff. I am just waiting to +100 players CTI´s.

Absolutely the best MP games expiriences I have ever played.

I dunno if we ever reached 65 but we don't have near some crazy high end machine but everything was fine to me and friends.

specs go something like:

p4 3.0 mhz

1.5 gig of ram

i dont even know which gfx card

and a solid connection

seems the server client is strong. next time we get it full I'll check the usages

- admins: have an eye to high pingers above 300ms

I have played on international servers a bit, and when I do my ping can be about 400ms. It is perfectly playable, and the ping of an individual player has nothing to do with lag on a server.

More than 500 could be a problem, but if you kick someone for a ping less than that then you're just being an asshole. confused_o.gif

I am watching ARMA MP via ARMA Spy. I can t believe that I am finding many Coop Matches and so far no Battlefield or Capture and Hold Session, what is going on?

No more Sense for competition in Arma?

That makes me sad, because in OFP that was a very vital think.

I know, that the german ESL (with international option also) is now starting, but it seems difficult.

hi there,

yee ... pings are not that important as it was in OFP, i agree, but ... high pingers above really affect the servers performance.... so pings above 500 are a real problem keeping the server lag

-free.

Coop Missions are easy to create! .. if the real players at one side, AI the other side, it's easy to recycle OFP scripts to ArmA and everything works ...

a real MP missions with both sides real players playing an JoinInProgress possible makes it more difficult to realize a bugless WORKING! MP mission with all known features. The Marker System change inside Arma from version .02 to .05 was a good step to solve Marker probs but degrades some developments like UMPC's first C&H missions (they were really cool, but e.g. GPS scripts not workin' anymore...)

I always try to improve the MP-play within berzerk maps to fit all, that a really good Multiplayer experience needs ...

thanx to all who love the berzerk gaming style... development is never been done ...

regards,

zap (general berzerk)