Sign in to follow this  
sailindawg

OPen Note to BIS

BIS, I purchased a DVD version from 505. I patched to version 1.05, still running the game to see how it runs with new patch.

However, after reading other people's posts regarding the online download purchase versions and the troubles with activating the game after patching, leads me to ask the question:

Will BIS seriously consider selling ARMA and future releases through Valve's Steam?

Steam is pretty reliable, there's a very large multi-national user base already installed. It's piracy protected and secure for game dev's lke yourself. Valve hosts small developers, like BIS, via Steam. From a user point of view, BIS and Steam seem like a very good fit.

Business wise, I have no idea of how it is to deal with Valve. However, they seem to support small game developers that use other engines besides their own Source. Having to wait several days after patching an online purchased game for another reactivation is silly and can potentially hurt your future online sales.

I like your product and I understand what it is to run a small business. I hope that somebody at BIS has considered doing business with/through Valve's Steam. I think if BIS chose to go with distribution via Steam, it would be win/win situation.

Steam is one awful system. I can only really see employees promoting that system. Only fools buy HalfLife2 trhough Steam and that is their capital product.

I would instead recommend GamersGate. They have excellent activation systems.

Or why not Stardock? Another publisher of quality products.

Marcuis

Sounds like you have shares in Steam wink_o.gif

Seriously, I think the Sprocket download system works quite well if it wasn't for the "reactivate after each patch" and "out of activations" PITA.

If they managed to handle that part in a different/better way I think Sprocket is better than Steam (personally I hate to have clients loaded that download/checks stuff in the bakground).

Just my 0.20 SEK

/KC

I'm an old fashioned gamer -i like a physical copy of my games inc manual or limited edition extras.

I will never advocate STEAM or any other download purchase. The license is exactly why it doesn't work.

I build my machines -as do millions of other gamers, the trouble is MS (and other companies) think we don't and that we all own Dells whistle.gif

Vista, originaly, had a limited 3 install license, then you had to buy a NEW copy!! We, the PC builders, quickly petitioned MS and got that changed! (if your motherboard failed etc that was a license used. -Yeah right!wink_o.gif

Now you can reinstall it as many times as you want, on your PC.

If i have a physical original copy of my games (Over 400+ i have since 1994) then i have no worries of patches or reinstalls causing havok with the limited license.

Of course i understand that BIS and other Devs try to cut out 'the middle man' and make more profit. But untill download licenses work like a 'hard copy' etc.  No chance will i support it.

I was forced into Steam.. It was the only way I was able to play my Valve games online. It used to be a major pain in the ass though it is a lot better than it was..

However, the main thing I hate about it is that since I have registered a number of games to my account, I cannot sell or transfer these games to anyone elses account. I consider the games to be mine (Im not 'leasing' them from Valve) so I 'should' be able to do whatever I want with them.

Hard copies all the way. Though I think a control system like Valves (for anti cheat and getting rid of asshats) would be good.

#C

I'm an old fashioned gamer -i like a physical copy of my games inc manual or limited edition extras.

I'm with you Tracer but having to wait until 16th February before the DVD was available here in Sweden I opted for the download version back in December.

I don't regret it since I enjoyed playing ArmA (bugs and all) and got a headstart to learn/test all new scripting commands before spring/summer hits us. That being said I do prefer a physical copy without the limited activations issue and if it has a fair DMR (i.e != StarForce).

/KC

Having to wait several days after patching an online purchased game for another reactivation is silly and can potentially hurt your future online sales.

Steam seems to have its own similar problems, with Dangerous Waters the 1.04 patch for steam users came almost three weeks later than for the non-steam users. According to the developers the delay was because of steam.

I hate steam. It really makes me mad that I can't play a game I paid for unless I am connected to the internet. My school is behind a restrictive firewall so steam and other programs dont work. I can't play HL2 at all because of this. What is so bad about hard copies? You have them forever and you can reinstall however many times you want.

I dont get why people are so negative about steam. Ive brought about 5 games off of it that always download and patch at the max speed my connection can handle. I do prefer boxed versions of games and armed assault is not something I would be happy to just have as a digital purchase but games like garrys mod, the ship and day of defeat I brought and have never had a problem with. Its a nice software delivery system and I think it would suit armed assault if there are many patches etc to come.

As for the whole have to be connected to the internet thing. You sign in as offline and you can play any game.

I consider the games to be mine (Im not 'leasing' them from Valve) so I 'should' be able to do whatever I want with them.

The fact is that you do not own the software, when you buy a game (and in fact any software) you buy the license to run the software on your PC. And of course you own the CD/DVD.

When you buy a book you don't own the story, just the book, is probably the best analogy I can think of.

Anyway, that's the fact of it, and I guess the writers of the software that we all crave so much are entitled to dictate to us how we can use it. If we don't like it, we've got another choice wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

*edit* oops, forgot the main point of my post biggrin_o.gif

Steam has never given me any grief, I didn't like the idea at first but it's proven to be an effective and reasonably unobtrusive form of distribution. As has been mentioned it's quite independent-developer friendly, which has to be a good thing.

Steam is by far the best online distribution out there. The only thing that comes close is getting the game yourself.

I bought HL2 ep1, Red Orchestra and Medieval 2 total war off steam.

The download is very fast. Downloaded Medieval 2 total war in about 8 hours. I have a 4 mb connection.

Everything is automated, you never have to worry about patching anything, steam does it for you.

Easy server browser. They have really fast support too (Never needed to use it, but form what I heard)

To play in the offline mode, you don't need to have internet connection. Just select offline mode.

For those complaining about Steam running in the background, lol give me a break. Steam uses about 10 MB worth of memory while its running. MSN messenger uses twice that amount. So unless you have a super slow computer, Steam doesn't really affect you at all.

The best thing about it is that everything is automated.

Tripwire interactive is making their second game on the Unreal 3 engine. They started the business distributing on Steam since nobody wanted to publish their game. After that, they were able to secure publishers pretty much everywhere.

Closing this topic because the Steam Debate has been and gone.