Sign in to follow this  
tophe

LOVE the game.. HATE the grass

I know this have been up a number of times.

But...

What's the idea with the grass? It looks rather good, but it makes gameplay really bad at many situations.

I know the AI will consider the graqss in 1.05 but still...

They could have made it MUCH shorter. That would still look good but also allow you to aim. Now if you see an enemy you throw yourself in the grass.. Now he's almost gone.... then you look down your ironsight... now is completey gone! Because the grass fills your aim.

If the grass should be used it should so short that it doesn't affect gameplay, or rendered in some other way so that it won't just spawn 100 meters in front of you.

It's a weird thing, especially in MP, that if you throw yourself in the grass you can't see the enemy but he can see you.

I sure hope someone comes up with a patch for this, 3rd party if BIS won't do it. Just making it so short that it doesn't interfear with the aiming woul be great.

Don't get this the wrong way. I LOVE THIS GAME! It's the best game I have ever played in my entire life. Amazing! I will continue buying everything that comes out of BIS even if they add 10 feet of stupid spawn-grass to it, because their stuff is the best.

That's why I get upset that this wonderful game gets its gameplay degraded by some stupid plants.

I hope I will feel differently when the AI considers the grass... probably will. Then I will repent in this thread.

To disable the grass go to graphic options and set terrain detail to 'Very Low'. smile_o.gif

Weren't they lowering the grass and make it sway away when you drop down on it for 1.04 / 1.05?

Quote[/b] ]To disable the grass go to graphic options and set terrain detail to 'Very Low'. smile_o.gif

Lol...

Quote[/b] ]Weren't they lowering the grass and make it sway away when you drop down on it for 1.04 / 1.05?

Ya, they did for 1.04. But it doesn't work very well. The grass is still too high, starting 2 meters infront of you. And if you aim you get even more grass. So that will only help if you wight someine while lying ontop of him. And that would be... weird.

i am led to believe that there has been much work done on the grass for the 1.05 patch, which deals with a lot of these problems

a few more days will tell

The grass will have the area of flattening in 1.05 and the AI will take some sort of range and/or detection probabilistic factor against other units in grass.

But:

1. Would friendly AI refuse to recognize and target enemy combatants because the enemy is technically in grass that the player's vision is unencumbered by?

2. Would units A and B be able to target each other if either isn't in grass but there is grass somewhere between them?

3. Would firing out of grass make your exact position known to AI even though in reality your position would be only partially known.

4. Does this 'fix' human vs. human engagements involving grass?

5. Will grass still be rendered far different in and outside iron sight mode like it is now?

I don't understand. There is wild grass. It is often tall, sometimes tall enough to hide there not even crouching.

YES, it's often uncomfortable to look at something distant while lying in the grass - if it's not really short. But that's not just the game - that's the real thing too!

glad to hear about the grass-flattening and AI-grass fixes in 1.05.

would love to see a solution to the Human vs Human problem with grass at long distances though.

I don't see it mentioned in the 1.05 changes, but there was talk of rendering far away units with transparent bits where the grass would be covering, if it was rendered out that far.  That would help with human vs human at long distances.  

Hope something like that gets in the patch!  If so, grass wouldn't be entirely useless.

*edit*

see this thread. last post on page got my hopes up. My post on that page (second from last) links to a pic of a possible solution, BIS may be doing something like that. Or I hope so.

The problem for me is that the grass is always the same height (i.e. too high to see through). It would be better with a mix of different lengths across the island, shorter around the towns that you can easily fire through, and some wild stuff that completely conceals you....

There is a mod available that adds a no-grass version of Sahrani and Rahmadi.

No-grass islands.

Reduces lag quite a lot, and removes entirely the stupid grass situation.

The grass is also respondible for plummeting my FPS. I like to snipe, but it's nearly impossible if I have to lay in a field and snipe guys on the same level as me, i.e. not up on a hill. Becuase, not only does the grass block my view, but it knocks my FPS down to 6 or 7... banghead.gif

The grass is also respondible for plummeting my FPS.  I like to snipe, but it's nearly impossible if I have to lay in a field and snipe guys on the same level as me, i.e. not up on a hill.  Becuase, not only does the grass block my view, but it knocks my FPS down to 6 or 7...  banghead.gif

Which they hopefully are improving or have improved for 1.05 smile_o.gif

yup, they said it would be possible to remove the grass..

but they also said that the grass would be improved while you were in prone position.. that you could see better now..

so maybe it will be nice to have grass..

I just hope they improve the FPS alot in order to run as smooth as possible with all settings high or very high smile_o.gif

I oppose the idea of removing it just because it doesnt work properly right now. As I believe a proper military simulation must take vegetation into account. I rather prefer that the effect increases realism for me but makes life easier for the AI then the other way around. I guess anyone who served in a reconnaissance unit would definetly claim that ArmA stinks without grass.

Grass is real. If it is uncut it will grow. If u go prone in uncut grass you will see shit. I have no problem with that.

Just keep it the same for AI. If I go prone in uncut grass I can't see them and they can't (shouldn't) see me.

Try playing Red Orchestra you use the grass and fields to your advantage, but that's a totaly different game.

Real grass isn't out of phase from our dimension so that it can't be trampled down to make a better firing position nor does it turn invisible at distances over 100 meters.

Real grass isn't out of phase from our dimension so that it can't be trampled down to make a better firing position nor does it turn invisible at distances over 100 meters.

I agree to a certain point, but since we are nitpicking

- I you are playing realisticly in first person then the grass 100 metres away is irrlevant since the grass few metres ahead of you should already cover your view ( on an even ground ).

"trampled down to make a better firing position". Never heard of this tactic. If the ground is even then you would have to trample down the grass from you up to the potential enemy.

The only problem is when the enemy is hiding on higher ground then you are. Cause then it would be the grass right in front of him that would cover your view.

Without trying to sounding to critical here. I find it astonishing that BIS messed up with the grass in the first place.

I mean the game is a first person shooter, so why make it that you have grass that you cannot see out of, but you yourself can be clearly seen in, isn't that abit like going to an eye clinic wearing sun glasses.

I hope after 1.05 there will be no more mention of grass, if there is. BIS really did shoot themselves in the leg with this one.

Personally I looove grass (in Arma at least).

It’s a great addition to the game atmosphere. The grass block your view ? So what ? It would do the same in real life.

On the other hand I agree with Mandrake5 grass in urban areas should be shorter. Unless there is a ban on landmowers in Sahrani. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I guess anyone who served in a reconnaissance unit would definetly claim that ArmA stinks without grass.

totaly agree on that,...

the grass aint perfect yet,...and there are quite a fiew bugs coming a long with it,...but my opinion ist that removing the gras or making it very short like on a golf yard is not a proper way of dealing with the problem.

I actually like it a lot to lay in the grass,....and not beeing able to see as much as laying on a concret marketplace,....thats just like in reality

Quote[/b] ]- I you are playing realisticly in first person then the grass 100 metres away is irrlevant since the grass few metres ahead of you should already cover your view ( on an even ground ).

"trampled down to make a better firing position". Never heard of this tactic. If the ground is even then you would have to trample down the grass from you up to the potential enemy.

Not true unless both are laying down. And how often are you fighting on a perfectly level grass field, not very I'd say.

If you were setting up a position to fire on a level grass field, obviously you'd set it up higher, not on the ground level.

And BTW grass does not stop bullets, so nothing prevents you from shooting thru it in the direction where you suspect the enemy is. pistols.gif

OK you'd better spray and pray to achieve some kind of result, but that why they did put an auto-mode on assault rifles in the first place.

I play the demo still, and the grass flattens out infront of me when prone or moving. I like this. The only problem with the grass as I see it, is the A.I.s ability to easilly spot you.

If they can code in some way  so that this is taken into consideration,  that would be awesome.  Quite frankly, grass in mil combat games has never been done right. Novalogic came the closest with their voxel engine tho.... in Delta Force 2.

Far Cry was good too, cause the A.I.  had to actively look for you, and didn`t have omnipotent see thru anything eyesight.  They could lose sight, and therefore not fire on you accurately.