Sign in to follow this  
norrin

SQF revive script

personally 1.1 seems to be a huge improvement and i must revise my "advice to not use this script".

It runs much smoother and "quicker" than the old versions.

So far i found only one tiny issue while playing a lan game(with Grouplink2P) with my brothers:

I was shot dead and while the unconscious cam starts, my body lying on the ground and another body (same soldierclass as me) appeard direct next to me and standing just there.

Regards, Christian

norrin,

while I got my mission to play with the previous version, I seem to get many errors with this one.

I want to send the mission to you, but it uses some of the HWM addons. If I revert the mission to the original ArmA units, would you mind taking a look? I am quite at a loss here and I don't want to mess with anything in the script as I don't know squat about scripting...

norrin,

while I got my mission to play with the previous version, I seem to get many errors with this one.

I want to send the mission to you, but it uses some of the HWM addons. If I revert the mission to the original ArmA units, would you mind taking a look? I am quite at a loss here and I don't want to mess with anything in the script as I don't know squat about scripting...

Sure lion send it to norrin@iprimus.com.au and I'll take a look as soon as I can.  

@Christian - thanks for testing this with GPL2+.  smile_o.gif   To tell you the truth I've been dreading the first community tests of this version as I was sure something would completely stuff- up. Just a quick question did you see this standing body before the camera faded to black and the "you are unconscious message" appeared or after while you had the dialog?  If it was before and you see it again I may need to change the timing slightly of the script.

@Bracken - I'm sorry for all the constant changes and updates it must be driving you mission makers crazy. crazy_o.gif  The answer to your question is almost never.

Great work again norrin. I'm working on a mission which has two versions (RACS & US) and previously had AI enabled in them but I changed them into latest AI disabled.

Can't wait to test this properly.

smile_o.gif

Great work again norrin. I'm working on a mission which has two versions (RACS & US) and previously had AI enabled in them but I changed them into latest AI disabled.

Can't wait to test this properly.

smile_o.gif

don't forget to send us your missions for testing when finish...;)

Norrin...is it easy to change the versions of the script? is it a matter of just taking the old files out and putting the new ones in...or requires changes to spawn points etc?

Norrin...is it easy to change the versions of the script? is it a matter of just taking the old files out and putting the new ones in...or requires changes to spawn points etc?

It should be pretty easy for about 80 % of the missions on the data base.

For these all you'll need to do (if they are currently using revive ver 1j or higher) is:

1. Change the respawn setting in the description.ext from <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">respawn = "INSTANT"; to <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">respawn = "BASE";

2. Open the revive_sqf folder and delete everything except the dialog sub-folder. Copy across the new heal_sqf folder and all the other new scripts (except the dialog sub-folder of course) from the new revive_player folder.

3. Delete the old init.sqf and replace with the new one (make sure the settings are to your taste in this).

4. Place a respawn marker on the map for the side your players belong to (eg Respawn_west for blufor units). Put this on an island near the "Boot_hill" marker if you can.

5. That should be it (I hope).

For some missions it will be a little more complicated than this eg Shark_attack's missions and the HALO_Black_Ops mission, due to the use of other scripts. So I'll need to play around with the code a little to ensure there are no conflicts. Oh I've got Sharks latest version of the especas commandos mission set-up just want to test it tonight and I'll send it on to you. smile_o.gif

I've encountered no bugs so far! smile_o.gif But something strange happened ...

I was unconscious after dying on the water. Although AI was disabled I had some AI soldiers in my group that I've recruited via recruit script. Somehow there was a new groupleader ordering 2 of the AI soldiers getting into a repair truck. They took the truck to a damaged motorcycle and repaired it by themselves! crazy_o.gif I gave no order to do that?! Could this happen because of the groupleader recognition changes?

I've encountered no bugs so far! smile_o.gif But something strange happened ...

I was unconscious after dying on the water. Although AI was disabled I had some AI soldiers in my group that I've recruited via recruit script. Somehow there was a new groupleader ordering 2 of the AI soldiers getting into a repair truck. They took the truck to a damaged motorcycle and repaired it by themselves! crazy_o.gif I gave no order to do that?! Could this happen because of the groupleader recognition changes?

He he, so the AI does work in this game. smile_o.gif

Yeah I probably should have warned you about this. Here's what happens with the latest version of the code. When the player respawns he respawns at the respawn marker and not where he died like in previous versions. A new unconscious body is then created where the player died. Then when the player is revived he is teleported back to where he died and the unconscious body is deleted (which is lot more like the way the original revive.sqs scripts function) .

As the respawn marker may be miles away from where the player was actually killed the player is removed from the group for the duration of his unconsciousness. Therefore if the leader is killed then unit 2 in the group temporarily becomes group commander which would explain what you saw happen.

I maybe able to disable AI_units in your group while a player group leader is unconscious but I also quite like the idea of some one else taking command while the true leader is incapacitated as its possibly more, dare I say it, realistic.

When the player respawns he respawns at the respawn marker and not where he died like in previous versions. A new unconscious body is then created where the player died. Then when the player is revived he is teleported back to where he died and the unconscious body is deleted

Oh,damn... so that's what it was... I wasn't using a mission end trigger when testing with a mate. I was quite puzzled finding myself and my friend suddenly stranded on that island and no revive windows appearing... so I thought it does not work and tried all sort of gimmicking...haha (f version is what I have used last)

OK, will give it another try later... icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh,damn... so that's what it was... I wasn't using a mission end trigger when testing with a mate. I was quite puzzled finding myself and my friend suddenly stranded on that island and no revive windows appearing... so I thought it does not work and tried all sort of gimmicking...haha (f version is what I have used last)

OK, will give it another try later... icon_rolleyes.gif

If you 're still having problems just let me know if you want me to take a look at your mission.

seeing is believing  biggrin_o.gif

my copy stands next to me crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

same issue that christian pointed out...you asked for the timing. I guess best description will be the video. I started the mission. did "esc-respawn" and as the unconscious screen appeared there was my copy in the respawn area. It disappeared as I clicked respawn1 button.

clicky

norrin,

got the mission back, it seems to be working perfectly! More testing on the way...

Thanks a bunch dude!

yay.gifyay.gif

seeing is believing  biggrin_o.gif

my copy stands next to me crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

same issue that christian pointed out...you asked for the timing. I guess best description will be the video. I started the mission. did "esc-respawn" and as the unconscious screen appeared there was my copy in the respawn area. It disappeared as I clicked respawn1 button.

clicky

Lol, I had to watch that video about ten times  before I worked out what was going on, but thanks for going to the trouble of posting it Crawler so that I could see what's happening. smile_o.gif

I could be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure if you open your mission in the editor you'll find that the respawn_west marker is placed where you're circling the unit with your mouse cursor.  As I said a couple of posts back this is where your avatar will go while your unit is unconscious so you'll need to move this marker to some where out of the way (preferably on an island where you are never likely to go - San Tomas is a good one for this and for the Boot_hill marker as well) and add a new marker at the the runway call it "West_spawn_1" and add this name to the init.sqf like this <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_Base_1 = "West_spawn_1"; and the problem will hopefully go away.  If this isn't the problem please send me your mission and I'll take a closer look at it.

sry..I must have missed it..its also written in the read me file icon_redface.gif

I just came back and was going to say i figured out what was going on but you've already mentioned lol.

I figured it out as I've opened your sample missions and saw the "respawn_west" close to "boot_hill".

I assume we need to create "Respawn_East" if we play the OPFOR side.

NP m8. smile_o.gif I'm not surprised with all the changes to the script that people are going to miss something. You're absolutely right about "respawn_east" just create the respawn marker for the side your playable units are.

Quote[/b] ]I maybe able to disable AI_units in your group while a player group leader is unconscious but I also quite like the idea of some one else taking command while the true leader is incapacitated as its possibly more, dare I say it, realistic.

No, no! It was a very good experience. Except for the anti-water code without respawn buttons the AI Disabled revival script is perfect by now.

Hey Norin i having some probs i get killed then i appear next to my body but still classed as dead see the screen shots

Picture

I just replaced all the scrips with the new and changed the ini as well as description files any ideas???

You can download my mission from here to check if you like.

Mission

could it be that you were in the "respawn_west" area when you died??

Bug report: AI Disabled 1.1

Quote[/b] ]I maybe able to disable AI_units in your group while a player group leader is unconscious but I also quite like the idea of some one else taking command while the true leader is incapacitated as its possibly more, dare I say it, realistic.

Well it is a good feature for SP. I've tested it in MP mode and it was annoying. Same mission on a dedicated server with some other players. The AI in charge ordered pilots to drop from their choppers so the players ejected whereever they were. The AI stole some mission important vehicles and drove them to the enemy risking our whole mission icon_rolleyes.gif

Somehow our player group (gw1=group this; ) was seperated after some revives. There wasn't any gw1 group at all at the end of the mission. Therefore some triggers weren't activated and Grouplink didn't work anymore sad_o.gif

One player respawned at the marker Respawn_west .. it was on an island far away. His revival marker still was on his dying position + his "fake corpse".

The missing respawn buttons are still annoying sad_o.gif Again there was a swimming session sad_o.gif

Edit:

Maybe the whole group thing was screwed up because of the addional AI becomming leader of the player group. We killed them for their behaviour afterwards. Additional AI with AI Disabled was never a problem because the AI wasn't part of the revival script. Maybe it's better to disable this new function OR leave it to the mission creator to use it.

Hey Norin i having some probs i get killed then i appear next to my body but still classed as dead see the screen shots

Morticus, I've just taken a quick look and the problem is that you don't have a respawn_west marker defined on your map. Just place it somewhere like San Tomas and you'll no longer respawn next to the unconscious player.

@Legislator, somehow I get the impression you're pretty keen for the respawn button/water code. smile_o.gif I'll look into the group problems you've described as well.

Well I got some eager helicopter pilots in my team biggrin_o.gif And I'm the badguy who creates a lot of air defense on each map. tounge2.gif Sometimes the whole team is gonna fright up while getting transported to another island. My pilots hat me for doing a long time swim rofl.gif

Meanwhile we're trying to combine one of your revival markers with an own script and a medevac chopper. The result will be a small supply post that can be created with the help of a soldierw/e/gminer and a medevac blackhawk. A respawn marker will be transfered there. The supply post can be reloaded into the chopper of course. We'll keep the revival more mobile this way because we have some missions that use the whole island of sahrani. 4 respawn markers aren't enough biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Somehow our player group (gw1=group this; ) was seperated after some revives. There wasn't any gw1 group at all at the end of the mission. Therefore some triggers weren't activated and Grouplink didn't work anymore sad_o.gif

Thats why experienced map-makers, who creates maps with Grouplink in combination with Revive, add the gw1=group this; in every init of every soldier of that group.

I know this trick from the creator of "Black Sword".

Regards, Christian

@Legislator,

If you get a chance try this m8 as I'm interested in your thoughts about these revisions.

Its a slightly modified version of the revive_player.sqf (just copy it over the old one) with code incorporated for respawn buttons when you die in the water and I've disabled the player leaving the group when he falls unconscious and taken out the follow-the-leader fix. I've got a feeling that the old follow-the-leader bug will raise its ugly head though. I'm also interested in getting your thoughts about the group leader marker moving to the respawn_west point while the group leader is unconscious do you think this is a big deal?

Thanks m8,

norrin