Sign in to follow this  
DutchRanger

Abom in arma ???

A-Bomb.

There were several nuclear bomb scripts in OFP, so yes it's possible.

I known but we run a news site and wanted to speak with this addon maker .... seen the OFP versions but is this real or a hoax ... just trying to backtrack the makers.

Why would it be just a hoax? There are all kinds of nuclear explosion scripts for OFP. Before going all head over heels for this thing, I would at least wait for a nuclear blast animation that was a bit more realistic. At present, that mushroom cloud doesn't behave anything like an actual one, and making a mushroom cloud that moves more like a real one shouldn't be that difficult.

Gaia used it for a mission in OFP and converted it to a working script in ArmA. I believe that in the ArmA video thread (in ArmA-General) he posts the youtube link.

Here is download link to that script:

http://str.rival.cz/items/manhattan_project.sara.rar

It's still WIP. Sample mission is mission made for testing, so there are some other things around. This explosion is harmless to surrounding objects, it's just for effect.

Nuke is detonated via radio (0-0-1; or 0-0-0, I don't remember now smile_o.gif ).

I made conversion because I'm preparing for start creating WTWE prequel and just wanted to know how the explosion will look like. I'll improve it during development.

Does this "nuke" actually behave like a real one? Do you get a

flash and then a blast wave, for example?

Nope its just a visual effect thing.. and it doesnt look THAT realistic, but AFAIK its just a quick port from OFP...

But with ArmA i'd expect much better ABomb effects =)

(though im not a particular fan of nuclear warfare in a game... just wipes out everything hehe)

thats good in a way, you have to raid north sara for a nuke and disarm it before it goes off.. If your late, you will know about it ^^

Quote[/b] ]Nope its just a visual effect thing.. and it doesnt look THAT realistic

your kidding ? it looks fantastic especially in the context of gaias mission. also if it only wipes out buidlings it can have a nice effect(not real but allows gameplay to continue.)

for example (not optimised)

I just relised deano it has fire? How u make the fire maybe it holds the key to making a fire script? tounge2.gif

and yeah this is awesome i just tested it yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]Nope its just a visual effect thing.. and it doesnt look THAT realistic

your kidding ? it looks fantastic especially in the context of gaias mission. also if it only wipes out buidlings it can have a nice effect(not real but allows gameplay to continue.)

for example (not optimised)

I meant that it could do with a bit of work.. i didnt mean it was completely unrealistic smile_o.gif

<---- Largest nuke test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mdPoumMwGE <--- Mix of atomic detonations

The main thing which needs improvement IMO is the cloud of smoke...

I dont deny it looks cool tho smile_o.gif

Though I agree with the futility of playing with Nukes, I was wondering if anyone had given any thought to making the smaller Tactical Nuke munitions for artillery and tanks?.

They could provide good backdrops and motivations for future missions. (when used carefully ! )

That current script looks OK but I agree it would need a little more work before an Arma release.

PS, I've been contemplating a MOD with a limited exchange as a backdrop. Mostly inspired by a roleplaying game I used to play way back called Twighlight 2000. I'm putting together a list of required addons and teaching my self to model (yes I'm still a noob) so don't expect me to open a thread for another 6mths atleast. If anyone has any thoughts feel free to PM.

Gaia and Xenom did a really good job on that,

i wish i had available the drop command when i made the first OFP nuke confused_o.gif.

You can see several smaller bombs exploding in the center in this picture:

OldNuke2.jpg

At that time i achieved the destruction with delayed

bomb addons of high damage values to counter the lag, they moved with the dustcloud and created considerable damage to houses and trees. Maybe try that to have a little bit of destruction at least in the center area of the explosion?

This is an example of the devastation:

OldNuke1.jpg

I am looking forward to Gaia's final release

with the full ArmA potential. smile_o.gif

My suggestions (for future ARMA nukes)

1:more dust/ dust slowly clearing(maybe even blowing in wind and carrying radiation)

2:needs to have different kinds of damage depending on which part of the explosion it is

3:needs to destroy trees e.t.c. and have some kind of "burning" effect on the textures(i am guessing this could be done with scripting.

4:not sure if this is possible but i'll make a thread to discuss it-craters in the centre of explosion.

would be cool if it was possible to swap the tree models with ones where their are no leaves too, and to line all the trees flat and such,

It's not possible to switch island object to other ones. Engine also don't support terrain modification, so crater is not possible too (however it can be created as large texture).

Having burning every single tree would be too complicated for computer and for scripter.

I am looking forward to Gaia's final release

Not before next year (too much school now) ... but somebody else will create good looking a-bomb effect fo sure.

If there was a nuke going off there wouldn't be any trees left, especially that massive nuke there wouldn't even be trees lying on the ground.

I have spent hundreds of hours on testing all kinds of destruction when i was working on that in OFP, the problem is always, that

if you want to be REALISTIC you would create so much lag that the game would freeze even in ArmA. Consider how many objects, that get loaded upon mission start for many seconds, would have to be

1. selected by an algorithm that decides whether they are to be destroyed or not

2. modified (and as Gaia correctly put it, it won't work on island objects, BIS prevented that since 1.90 i think) or damaged.

A nuke is just too massive to convincingly create that destruction on the map, people will have to be willing to make compromises.

I will give it a try, and convert my old OFP destruction scripts to ArmA and see what i can come up with though.

Though I agree with the futility of playing with Nukes, I was wondering if anyone had given any thought to making the smaller Tactical Nuke munitions for artillery and tanks?.

One could also do a BLU-82 "Daisycutter" (a 15,000 pound

bomb).

@Col. Faulkner:

The Daisy Cutter would be more realistic. The cloud looks

very similar, only smaller ofc. And there has to be less objects

to be destroyed due to the smaller yield than a nuke.

I have ported my old scipts to ArmA and the result is not very promising. The lag is considerable and this only with an area of 400 m * 400 m, even though i have used delayed fuzes.

Here is a video showing what i mean:

Maybe if BIS fixes ObjectID then the objects could be destroyed directly.