Sign in to follow this  
bum71

Horrible Performance...

With maxmem=786 you just need a bit longer, but I was able to reproduce the same problems as with maxmem=1024. After that I decided to stop using this parameter.

Sorry Sobrek but maybe i missed one of your posts.

What were the problems you could reproduce with either

maxmem=1024 or 768?

~S~ CD

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums but not to pc gaming. I have a 3 year old alienware pc atm and I cannot afford to buy another rig atm. I just purchased a home and I'm strapped. Here are my specs on my old pc.

3ghz ht intel

2gigs of ram

6800gt 256mg.

I would like to atleast upgrade my card, but my mobo only handles x4/x8 cards. This is the only I could find that will work with my mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161069

x1950pro 512mb

Is it worth spending $300? Will I get a noticeable performance?

Thanks,

Soulfly.

icon_rolleyes.gifhelp.gif

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums but not to pc gaming. I have a 3 year old alienware pc atm and I cannot afford to buy another rig atm. I just purchased a home and I'm strapped. Here are my specs on my old pc.

3ghz ht intel

2gigs of ram

6800gt 256mg.

I would like to atleast upgrade my card, but my mobo only handles x4/x8 cards. This is the only I could find that will work with my mobo.

x1950pro 512mb

Thanks,

Soulfly.

icon_rolleyes.gif     help.gif

Wow Soulfly aren't you smart?

He was saying that he could reproduce the same problems

with maxmex=768 as he has had using 1024.

He didn't say that he was having the same problems

you were posting. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Or did i probably miss that you and Sorbrek are the very same

two persons?

And btw - the card you mentioned should be worth it's money anyways.

~S~ CD

Wow Soulfly aren't you smart?

He was saying that he could reproduce the same problems

with maxmex=768 as he has had using 1024.

He didn't say that he was having the same problems

you were posting.  icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif

Or did i probably miss that you and Sorbrek are the very same

two persons?

And btw - the card you mentioned should be worth it's money anyways.

~S~ CD

Actually, I'm not the same person. I been away from my pc shortly after bf2 came out. I haven't kept up with technology that's the only reason why I'm asking. But thanks for the feedback. I'm not too hyped about dxd10, vista, and crysis. This pc is old so no point in spending too much money. I'll like to squeeze some better framerate out of my pc just for arma. It really look like a promising game after playing the demo. This game runs on dxd9 so I'm happy about that.

how do you access the maxmem option?

Well, in your ArmA shortcut there's a field called 'Target'

It should look like this by default:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ARMA.EXE"

Now just make it look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ARMA.EXE" -maxmem=768

Or even further, if you don't want to wait for the splash screens while loading the game make it:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ARMA.EXE" -maxmem=768 -nosplash

wink_o.gif

:edit - i just noticed that i two times made a typo with

maxmem parameter in the previous posts - off course

it has to be maxmem (just in case).

::edit - and i noticed that i must have had tomatoes on

me eyes yesterday crazy_o.gif

Forget the first answer about the relation between yours

and Sorbreks post - looks like i've read something totally

different than what has been written. tounge2.gif

~S~ CD

Crashes seem to be gone for me so far using maxmem=768 instead of 1024. The loading is still apparent though, although it's a bit less bad and it has become more playable, so thanks for the tip. Hopefully there will either be a fix or some tweak to more or less get rid of this...

Hello everyone,

3ghz ht intel

2gigs of ram

6800gt 256mg.

x1950pro 512mb

Thanks,

Soulfly.

I'd definately reccomend that card. I just bought it for my rig (see my sig) and my rig is not comparable to yours, but i can run ArmA on max settings (minus Post processing) 1152*864 on the demo and i get very playable FPS (20+) and im gonna fiddle with a few settings to tweak the last few FPS smile_o.gif

It needs a LOT of power though, make sure your PSU is reputable and has 30A or greater SUSTAINED (or 22A sustained on a dual rail PSU) on the 12V rail and i'd reccomend 500W or greater.

But i love it, i payed 150 quid for mine incl. delivery.

I'd definately reccomend that card. I just bought it for my rig (see my sig) and my rig is not comparable to yours, but i can run ArmA on max settings (minus Post processing) 1152*864 on the demo and i get very playable FPS (20+) and im gonna fiddle with a few settings to tweak the last few FPS smile_o.gif

It needs a LOT of power though, make sure your PSU is reputable and has 30A or greater SUSTAINED (or 22A sustained on a dual rail PSU) on the 12V rail and i'd reccomend 500W or greater.

But i love it, i payed 150 quid for mine incl. delivery.

This is what's in my tower:

Alienware 420 Watt power supply

Input:

115 V at 10 Amps

230 V at 5 Amps

Outputs:

+5 V at 40 Amps

+3.3 at 30 Amps (+5 V and +3.3 V combined should not exceed 220 W)

+12V at 18 Amps (should not exceed 216 W)

-5 V at 0.3 Amps (15 watts)

-12 V at 0.8 Amps (6.9 watts)

+5 VSB at 2.0 Amps (10 watts)

Connectors

One 20-pin ATX Main power connector

One 4-pin ATX12V Power Connector

Nine Molex 4-pin peripheral Power Connector

Three Floppy Drive Power Connector

One 6-pin Aux Power Connector

One 3-pin Fan Speed Monitor

Minimum cable length: 20 inches

Cable length between connectors: 8 inches

Operating Temperature: 50 - 122 degrees Fahrenheit (10 - 50 degrees Celsius)

Thank you for your inquiry,

The Alienware Technical Support Team

Thanks for the info Soulfly, though your PSU will not have enough power to supply it correctly sad_o.gif

"+12V at 18 Amps (should not exceed 216 W)"

+12V needs to be 30Amps SUSTAINED or better, or 22Amps on a dual rail system.

If you do go for the X1950 PRO i'd reccomend either a 620W Enermax Liberty or 500W Enermax Liberty (100 or 60 pounds respectively *approx*)

I'm loving the card but you might be able to sustain a different card on what PSU u have currently got. www.guru3d.com is a good start... gives good reviews of GFX cards there smile_o.gif

That forceware driver also didn't fix ArmA's performance problems.

List your specs and we'll see if we can get that 8800 to push some polys smile_o.gif

That card is allmost identical to 7950GX2 in performance.

I've got a 7950GX2 and performances with ArmA are not as good as I wish.

7950GX2 here also, w/ Athlon 64 3800+ / 1 gig ram / cable internet.

I am trying to get good performance at 1920x1200 however. But even at 1024x768, the performance isn't great.

Is there a way to turn off aa, not just setting it to low???

thanks,

I have terrible lag both on and off the internet in this game

AMD 64x2 3800

Win XP media 2005 edition

2 x EVGA 8800 gts in sli mode

2mb of ram at PC3200x400

700 watt power supply

I have given up on this game until either the drivers for the video cards are improved or BI puts out a patch that addresses the problems that a lot of us are having. In the meantime it is back to GRAW and Ravenshield Vegas, no lag in those games anyway.

I have terrible lag both on and off the internet in this game

AMD 64x2 3800

Win XP media 2005 edition

2 x EVGA 8800 gts in sli mode

2mb of ram at PC3200x400

700 watt power supply

I have given up on this game until either the drivers for the video cards are improved or BI puts out a patch that addresses the problems that a lot of us are having. In the meantime it is back to GRAW and Ravenshield Vegas, no lag in those games anyway.

The term 'lag' in an offline game is so vague that we cant really help you anyway tounge2.gif

If you have a low FPS you should tell us your settings, if you have 'mouse lag' then you should force vsync off in your driver settings. (And 'render frames ahead' to 0 if you have coolbits)

Is there a way to turn off aa, not just setting it to low???

Well what do you think the word "disabled" means?

Quote[/b] ]

The term 'lag' in an offline game is so vague that we cant really help you anyway tounge2.gif

If you have a low FPS you should tell us your settings, if you have 'mouse lag' then you should force vsync off in your driver settings. (And 'render frames ahead' to 0 if you have coolbits)

Lag is the term I use for the jerky motion in the game, not the type caused by lousy ISP connections, I have tried VSync off and all the other stuff mentioned in the troubleshooting guide, I am now going to try with just one card active and see if the problem is gone, in that case it will be one GTS 8800 going for sale, unless NVidia comes out with better optimization of the SLI feature.

Lag is the term I use for the jerky motion in the game, not the type caused by lousy ISP connections, I have tried VSync off and all the other stuff mentioned in the troubleshooting guide, I am now going to try with just one card active and see if the problem is gone, in that case it will be one GTS 8800 going for sale, unless NVidia comes out with better optimization of the SLI feature.

Get a program called rivatuner (with older nvidia drivers this could be done easily without it). Find a setting for "frames to render ahead" or something and set it to 0. This got rid of mouse lag for me.

Whichever idiot at Nvidia who thought 3 would make a good default setting should be shot.

Well the maxme=1024 is known to cause CTD's  wink_o.gif

Try using 768 instead and see what happens then.

~S~ CD

Hey guys

Just to let you know, the maxmem=1024 doesnt seem to make my game crash in Windows Vista - it does on winXP, though.

I run the game as administrator.

Hey guys

Just to let you know, the maxmem=1024 doesnt seem to make my game crash in Windows Vista - it does on winXP, though.

I run the game as administrator.

Here it still does on Vista, but only with highly beta drivers for my 8800... Tomorrow is the great day that there will be finally more proper official Vista Drivers for the 8800, I will let you know if my crashes are gone with this driver.

I see alot of people compaining about lagg and i can see why they do, but whys is it some people are just blind to what is actually going on around them. I'm talking about the ones who claim to have no lagg, when all the dedicated servers i have been on playing CH have lagged. Tanks, helicopters, men...ect all disappearing and warping. Those who say they have no lagg, it would be a good thing if you actually name the severs you are talking about, or give there ip address. Its all well and good making a game with good graphics, but if it was me i'd look at performance first, playability second and graphics third. This game could be so good but its to bad in preformance.

4 meg broadband connection

Geforce 7900 GT

Amd 3500

2 gig ram

Msi Diamond motherboard

I see alot of people compaining about lagg and i can see why they do, but whys is it some people are just blind to what is actually going on around them. I'm talking about the ones who claim to have no lagg, when all the dedicated servers i have been on playing CH have lagged. Tanks, helicopters, men...ect all disappearing and warping. Those who say they have no lagg, it would be a good thing if you actually name the severs you are talking about, or give there ip address. Its all well and good making a game with good graphics, but if it was me i'd look at performance first, playability second and graphics third. This game could be so good but its to bad in preformance.

Geforce 7900 GT

Amd 3500

2 gig ram

Msi Diamond motherboard

wow_o.gif And you are sure that you didn't miss the topic? biggrin_o.gif

~S~ CD

Geforce 7900 GT

Amd 3500

2 gig ram

Msi Diamond motherboard

wow_o.gif  And you are sure that you didn't miss the topic?  biggrin_o.gif

~S~ CD

Well i did miss it, but i havn't been playing AA or visiting these forums. I just stopped by to see if a patch had been released that would sort out these issues.

This game has not got me gripped like ofp did, and before you say its not ofp, lets be honest, most people thought they were getting an ofp follow up when they bought this.

I just think its about time somone from BIS answered this 35 page thread and reasured some of us that these lagg issues are going to be fixed.

I bought this game because BIS talked about having upto 100 player battles and with no performance drop. How wrong can you get?

Anyways, i'll be back in another month to see if my comuter can play a decent multiplayer game, i'll have to opt for a C&H though as CTF has become a joke, but thats another story.

Well i play on a Geforce 7900 GTX 512mb, and a Core 2 Duo and 2 gb ram!

And i play all settings on very high (every setting that is possible on that setting), and i dont experience any lag, just MOUSE DELAY. Not even lag in forests and bushes. !

Can i get rid of the mouse delay, especially when using the ironsight ?

just MOUSE DELAY. Not even lag in forests and bushes. !

Did you use the search?

Download coolbits (just google it), force vsync off in your driver settings, and set 'render frames ahead' to 0.

Well i play on a Geforce 7900 GTX 512mb, and a Core 2 Duo and 2 gb ram!

And i play all settings on very high (every setting that is possible on that setting), and i dont experience any lag, just MOUSE DELAY. Not even lag in forests and bushes. !

What screen res do you play?

I have Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB, Dual Core 2.4, 2 Gb internal, all on very high and screen res 1280x1100.

Then I have FPS of 20 in forest. I have to tweak a little to get FPS above 40. My experience is that In MP it is better to set everything low to have advantage over the nmi.

Im going on 1280x768, cause im on a LCD-tv screen !

Wonder why I dont get any lag...