Sign in to follow this  
SlaughterX

Review of Full version up at U.S gaming site...

Well, a U.S site reviewed the German Version and gave it pretty high scores.. It's a long read but pretty good.

>> German Import Review <<

I'm thinking of getting the German version...Does anyone know what site this guy who reviewed it, bought the legal downloaded German version off of??

Is there any reason NOT to get the German version if I use the language conversion patch he describes??

Thanks.

Whoa... There's hope among today's reviewers after all. They're not all mainstream pricks. smile_o.gif

A very good review, and sums up my attitude towards ArmA beautifully. thumbs-up.gif

I find it funny that this guy considers OPF:E inferior yet raves about its features in Arma... too vague and optimistic imo.

A positive review is always good to read but this one sounds very biased. I might be a "fanboy" but im not blind and Arma needs work (plenty of it).

OFP Elite, as a console game, didn't have the large online MP community and community addons/mods that OFP/Armed Assault have, I think that's what he was talking about...

Did you ever play OFP elite? I did, on my friends Xbox, it definitely did not feel like the same game... banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]Whoa... There's hope among today's reviewers after all. They're not all mainstream pricks.

Omg, Dmakatra, i am sick of your elitist atitude, omg....

OFP Elite, as a console game, didn't have the large online MP community and community addons/mods that OFP/Armed Assault

no but the ArmA game engine base off of the ofpe for the xbox crazy_o.gif

ArmA was NOT based off the engine for the Xbox game, get your facts straight...The Xbox game was a watered down version based on the original PC game and ArmA is based off the original PC game engine also.... The Xbox game has no relation in the equation from the Pc version of OFP to the development of Armed Assault.  icon_rolleyes.gif

ArmA was NOT based off the engine for the Xbox game, get your facts straight...The Xbox game was a watered down version based on the original PC game and ArmA is based off the original PC game engine also.... The Xbox game has no relation in the equation from the Pc version of OFP to the development of Armed Assault.  icon_rolleyes.gif

If that's the case, then why does several files in the Armed Assault refer to Xbox elements? And the improved netcode is based on the Xbox version as well. Same with graphics engine (bumpmapping, etc). And why the attitude?

ArmA was NOT based off the engine for the Xbox game, get your facts straight...The Xbox game was a watered down version based on the original PC game and ArmA is based off the original PC game engine also.... The Xbox game has no relation in the equation from the Pc version of OFP to the development of Armed Assault. icon_rolleyes.gif

If that's the case, then why does several files in the Armed Assault refer to Xbox elements? And the improved netcode is based on the Xbox version as well. Same with graphics engine (bumpmapping, etc). And why the attitude?

Lets see...

-Terrain streaming.

-Waving vegetation and grass.

-HDR lighting.

-Real time shadows (cast on objects).

-Wildlife and birds.

-No tank interiors mad_o.gif .

-MP Interface.

-Water.

-Shadder implementation (moderate).

-JIP.

I think its pretty obvious that Arma is based on the elite engine.

OPF > Elite > Armed Assault smile_o.gif .

ArmA was NOT based off the engine for the Xbox game, get your facts straight...The Xbox game was a watered down version based on the original PC game and ArmA is based off the original PC game engine also.... The Xbox game has no relation in the equation from the Pc version of OFP to the development of Armed Assault. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lets see...

-Terrain streaming.

-Waving vegetation and grass.

-HDR lighting.

-Real time shadows (cast on objects).

-Wildlife and birds.

-No tank interiors mad_o.gif .

-MP Interface.

-Water.

-Shadder implementation (moderate).

-JIP.

I think its pretty obvious that Arma is based on the elite engine.

OPF > Elite > Armed Assault smile_o.gif .

Thank you heatseeker well theres your facts <SlaughterX> tounge2.gif

The Xbox game was a watered down version based on the original PC game and ArmA is based off the original PC game engine also....

"watered down"?? how? it was exactly the same numbnuts , it just had new graphical and gameplay features implemented. the only annoyance and issue that i could connect to being "watered" down was that you couldnt store weapons in trucks for the resistance campaign.

I called it watered down ONLY because of the fact that you didn't have the access to the community mods/addons/units which is why OFP was the great game it was..without the community stuff...I consider OFP watered down plus using a controller instead of the keyboard and mouse was horrible..

I wasn't aware that some of the elite features were carried over to the ArmA engine...I never read that so if that is the case, I admit my mistake but the fact still remains that Elite was nowhere near the experience that OFP on PC was..

I called it watered down ONLY because of the fact that you didn't have the access to the community mods/addons/units which is why OFP was the great game it was..without the community stuff...I consider OFP watered down plus using a controller instead of the keyboard and mouse was horrible..

I wasn't aware that some of the elite features were carried over to the ArmA engine...I never read that so if that is the case, I admit my mistake but the fact still remains that Elite was nowhere near the experience that OFP on PC was..

i wasnt trying to start anything but you can port some add ons to the xbox verson its been done ive seen it but there alot of work in it tho....

I'll make this sentence my signature :

"Although I’m sure you’ll still find those professional forum whiners who live to find fault with anything under the sun."

Of course I think its a great review, but then I'm biased.

The reviewer is clearly a member of the community.

I suspect the majority of mainstream reviews will be tougher..

Quote[/b] ]Whoa... There's hope among today's reviewers after all. They're not all mainstream pricks.

You're absolutely right, my fault. Mind if I rephrase it? smile_o.gif

Whoa... There's hope among today's reviewers after all. Apparently not everyone of them have forgotten that there's more to a game than run, gun and pretty graphics. smile_o.gif

I'm not really pissed off on today's mainstream gamer, I'm more pissed off on today's reviewers. The gaming market is the only entertainment market today that I know of where reviewers bogger down on innovations, ideas, products that aren't easily accessible, products requires a little thought. Instead they give perfect scores to stuff we've already seen before. Everyone has a right to have their own taste. If people like to blow up stuff without thinking - and if that is very beautifully executed - then the game deserves a high score. But today, innovative games are shoved to the side, and there are gamers out there who would very much appreciate these kinds of games but never have the opportunity to realize that.

Reviewers today are very biased on a number of elements. It's almost like they follow a code of reviewing as they treat all the games as if there would be ONE perfect game that would satisfy ALL tastes. The result is that every game is passed through a specific "mold", and will be compared to games which are designed to stimulate another taste. Instead they need to look at what the game has to offer to different tastes. You don't see a reviewer taking the piss out of a techno album just because it isn't rock, do you?

But I'm steering way off the topic here. I just wanted to bring forward my opinion on this matter, so that my previous hastily-written post don't cause any more misunderstandings. smile_o.gif

While the review is positive, it is also very misleading. 100 plus players online?

Experience thus far shows that the game grinds to a halt at anything plus 30 or so.

The reviewer should have written, the game is designed to have +100 online players, but the developer clearly needs to focus future patches on net play if this goal is ever to be reached.

Well, the single player is screwed. Campaign sucks big time, no offence to BIS. The multiplayer is not in a better state either, but it has potential I guess.

its a good review of a really good game.

and to anyone not wanting to wait I'd recommend buying the german online version from morphicon. i DL'd it in hours (cable internet connection - make sure you have a fast internet connection as its over 3GB) and activated it in minutes. using sickboys patch the game has all text in English and so is very easy to follow.

You're absolutely right, my fault. Mind if I rephrase it? smile_o.gif

Whoa... There's hope among today's reviewers after all. Apparently not everyone of them have forgotten that there's more to a game than run, gun and pretty graphics. smile_o.gif

I'm not really pissed off on today's mainstream gamer, I'm more pissed off on today's reviewers. The gaming market is the only entertainment market today that I know of where reviewers bogger down on innovations, ideas, products that aren't easily accessible, products requires a little thought. Instead they give perfect scores to stuff we've already seen before. Everyone has a right to have their own taste. If people like to blow up stuff without thinking - and if that is very beautifully executed - then the game deserves a high score. But today, innovative games are shoved to the side, and there are gamers out there who would very much appreciate these kinds of games but never have the opportunity to realize that.

Reviewers today are very biased on a number of elements. It's almost like they follow a code of reviewing as they treat all the games as if there would be ONE perfect game that would satisfy ALL tastes. The result is that every game is passed through a specific "mold", and will be compared to games which are designed to stimulate another taste. Instead they need to look at what the game has to offer to different tastes. You don't see a reviewer taking the piss out of a techno album just because it isn't rock, do you?

But I'm steering way off the topic here. I just wanted to bring forward my opinion on this matter, so that my previous hastily-written post don't cause any more misunderstandings. smile_o.gif

Thats human nature. Once you do something professionally (means, you get paid to do it(=profession), nothing more, nothing less) you mistake it for being able to judge wisely.

Its like "Oh, I work for PC GAMES now (penis_size++wink_o.gif, I am qualified to critizise and everything Im saying is based on my professonal work"

Its just bullshit... I see to many mistakes in nowadays game mags (content related) that I am askiong myself if they remember their days where they started game at all.

Its the same with politicans. Once they get into focus, they have so much stuff to handle, that the spirit of their visions get lost.

I can tell you a little story about a game I worked on. It was toally bugged and crap due to alot of things that went wrong. First review was like 60% in a very wide spread german games mag. Bugfixing, crunchmode etc. (one programmers eyes looked like he just came back from the dead due to the workload) made the game a bizt better, but still to many issues. The game was re-released with the fixes... The guys at the top (publisher, studio) thought to get it re-reated. Didnt happen. But what happened was some cash flow directed at the games mag, and all of a sudden, with the addon, the game got 85% percent. Amazing isnt it?

The bugs where still there though smile_o.gif

Thats how it looks today... money rulez em all... we, the gamers, are just a bunch of potential customers... no one wants to satisfy our demands... (maybe some young idealistic game devs, but its just a matter of time since they loose their attitude) ... its just about doing it as good, to make sure the money flows... (publisher wise)

I hate to say "things were better back then" but in terms of gaming press that true... any idiot can successfully make a gaming related page and write reviews... at least they dont charge money for it, like the mags on paper...

"Independence" is a foreign word when money is involved... especially when its about a topic (entertainment) which so much subject to your personal opinion

Stealth3 You were warned yesterday for trolling.

If you dont like the game, and dont like how the forum is moderated don't visit.

PR - 1 week

+1WL