Sign in to follow this  
nigelbland

Demo today....WOOT

The CTI mission is...weird. The supply convoy is just one truck and once the guy reaches base the truck magically disapears, after a while vehicles start popping out of nowhere. Hiring soldiers sounds wrong.

I like the radio messages though.. but this game mode doesnt fit in the "most realistic simulation" ever, too arcade as is imo.

Anyone noticed the "ingrish" briefing? tounge2.gif . I know, i know its just a demo...

anyone know why everytime i ask for a repair, rearm, and refuel truck homebase always says negative. So in turn how do we repair our tanks and refuel them and rearm them.

You can refuel at fuel stations, which occurs automatically when you get close enough. There are no repair trucks or ammo trucks in the demo, but you might try the repair shed at either east or west base.

need learn comand and practice smile_o.gif

me now (1 month later) i'v enderstand

You're probably right: to say the truth I'm not a chooper/aircraft lover and I never was neither in OFP. So this is a minor problem (if this is a problem at all) for me at the moment. Now I have to leave: I feel the need to play the demo more even if today it's Xmas! biggrin_o.gif

Klavan

The CTI mission is...weird. The supply convoy is just one truck and once the guy reaches base the truck magically disapears, after a while vehicles start popping out of nowhere. Hiring soldiers sounds wrong.

Yeah I know what you mean. A dissapearing truck doesn't really make sense. What's the purpose of the damn truck then?

Also another question. Will the demo guys get another mission pack. I know we should be glad with what we have but I think it would be nice to have some more (and better) COOP missions to play. And maybe some CTI fix?

Yeah, got to admit, the UH-60 is tricky to fly atleast. Well, atleast I managed to land the Mi-8 quite intact.

Being already at 5 fps or so, I didn't notice much difference with the 100+ or so bodies of both US and RACS troops outside the main base (the road looked... interesting)

What pbo tool are people using in Arma? Since im not going online i might take a look at the sqm's and replace one of those hmmwv's in the coop map with a blackhawk or something smile_o.gif .

What pbo tool are people using in Arma? Since im not going online i might take a look at the sqm's and replace one of those hmmwv's in the coop map with a blackhawk or something smile_o.gif .

I used these to (un)pbo.

Unfortunately there is just a small problem with the demo: all pbo files are signed (by an RSA-1 key or something? see .bisign-files) and all added pbo files in the addon folder need to be signed as well, so editing or adding any content of the demo is 'not done', at least I didn't get it to work, failing on 'corrupted content detected'-errors sad_o.gif

I guess BIS learned at least one thing from the OFP demo biggrin_o.gif

I was afraid of that, i noticed those extra files in the folder.

We can atleast look at the files and see how things are working i guess..

With only about an hour playing time with the demo I gotta say that I'm really impressed. Maybe reading all of the negative feedback here dropped my expectations but so far I'm diggin it.Granted I'm an infantry guy so don't know much about the vehicles/controls but the fire fights are great and the models/landscape beautiful. It pretty much looks like BF2- plays like OFP with better AI which is what I've always wanted.

specs:sempron 3100+ 1.8ghz OC'ed to 2.2

6800gs 256

1 gig ram

Yeah my system was sweating so I opened up the panel and turned on all the room fans. At first I went with the default settings high/800x600 and was dissapointed with the way the soldiers were indistinct from the backround. So I changed to normal/1024x800 (?) and the definition really came out - with some video artifacts as well. Hope my new system gets here soon!

My only real complaint are the voices which sound a little lightweight.

Overall -Great job BIS!

Hello, my friend has some problems with ArmA demo. He explaned it in this way:

Quote[/b] ] i have a problem with the ArmA demo i exact it but when i click on launch ArmA demo then its doing nothing

Any ideas how to help? smile_o.gif And lol i forgot how to make quote rofl.gif

Hi, first off i love the demo.

Now somethings ive noticed and run into.

First off, the AI abandons its vehicles far to easily.I can steal a brdm almost every demo game i play now, becuase the crew who should by all rights turn me into swiss cheese,get out instead.

All i have to do is take out a tire, and they abandon the vehicle.

This leads to another issue.The AI doesnt seem able in most cases to realize their armor is now in enemy hands,even when i shoot down their comrades right in front of them from it.

Every once in a while they realize im inside, and fire at me.But not usually.

Also, the demo kicks off all players when i host a game and it reachs the max player mark.

In other words, it runs fine and i can play for hours,unless the 1-8 player game reachs 8 players.

It than kicks all players off the server.

Any ideas on why ?

I have a 5 Mbps cable connection by the way.

They a.i. will totally ignore you if you steal their ural truck, maybe its because i toned down their skill..

In OPF they could tell it was an enemy soldier behind the wheel from 500M+ away, in Arma its like:

"Comrade driver dressing capitalist uniform? He must have drink too much vodka..".

The combat roll feature doesnt rotate the camera view, this should be fixed.

They a.i. will totally ignore you if you steal their ural truck, maybe its because i toned down their skill..

In OPF they could tell it was an enemy soldier behind the wheel from 500M+ away, in Arma its like:

"Comrade driver dressing capitalist uniform? He must have drink too much vodka..".

Infantry AI is also pretty crap at understanding the threat of an enemy tank 5 metres away or an enemy gunship hovering only within spitting distance! There reaction is as if there was nothing there! I know they won't respond unless they have anti armour weapons, but FFS they should at least run for cover! tutut.gif

-nosplash -nomap -maxmem=1024

Hands down the best tweak I have tried for the demo. Night and day difference after adding that to the executable.

I was afraid of that, i noticed those extra files in the folder.

We can atleast look at the files and see how things are working i guess..

Keep us updated, we need more missions definately smile_o.gif

What about modified CTF? I think it's quite unbalanced: BLUEFOR should have strykers not hummers with MG. BRDMs are quite an unfair advantage for OPFOR.

Klavan

What about modified CTF? I think it's quite unbalanced: BLUEFOR should have strykers not hummers with MG. BRDMs are quite an unfair advantage for OPFOR.

Klavan

It's the same in every mission. Quite stupid the BRDM is an APC and the Humvee is just a jeep with a machine gun. Would indeed be better if the Humvee would be replaced by the Stryker or M113 or the BRDM by a UAZ with DSHK.

I would refer you back to the mile long thread about Abrams vs T72 unbalance. The conclusion was life isn't fair.

Judging by the demo though the brdm is just light armor. Unload a couple of mags on it and it is crippled just as fast as a hummer - All it has is armor around the gunner.

I would refer you back to the mile long thread about Abrams vs T72 unbalance. The conclusion was life isn't fair.

It's not a matter of armour thickness. huh.gif

Simply you can't fight an armoured vehicle with a jeep.

Klavan

Judging by the demo though the brdm is just light armor. Unload a couple of mags on it and it is crippled just as fast as a hummer - All it has is armor around the gunner.

- Lighter armour

- Exposed gunner

- Less powerfull armament

It's APC versus jeep. It's totally unbalanced. It sucks even more when you are playing COOP in which you have to take on a BRDM with a Humvee, it's just impossible. It should be switched the way I mentioned before.

Scrub's right.

The BRDM _IS_ stronger than the Hummer, or so it seems, the armour is much thicker, the gun is more powerful (and the gunner is defended, and there is minimal glass, so there is more armour coverage.

BUT its easy to overcome, aim for the exposed parts, take out the tires and it cant move, you can burst the tires with just a few bursts. then it cant move, then you can keep shooting at it (or the quick way get an AT launcher) and BOOM its dead, or if you are low on ammo just hang on and wait for the inhabitants to disembark, then shoot them up.

Best to practise this on the CTF map.

the game is not half as bad as some people say! Also, it runs very very well on my Sempron 3400 (slightly OC'ed) with 7600GT (same) and 1.5 GB RAM.

I did find some bugs but the game is very playable. I think BIS would have done itself a favor getting the demo out earlier.

Well, time to order the full version I suppose!