Sign in to follow this  
DUX0726

Do you like this look 2: The Electric Boogaloo

Not on this one, it's custom. wink_o.gif

I know, I was responding to the guy who said velcro doesn't belong on body armor. Anyways, started working on a picture, of course it's still WIP and maybe a couple details need to be ironed out but I'm pretty happy with it and I think it's able to get the point across fairly well:

ssaharniguyzw2.jpg

love the parade dress, without the body armour though....

and the "field dress" looks great smile_o.gif

please make both smile_o.gif

Cool, cool, my mistake on the FAL. Out of curiosity though, why are you so intent upon defending the fact that you were not taking a British slant in your stylistic viewpoints? On second thought, scratch that. Draw me a picture of your ideal South Sahrani Royal Guard. That's more telling and focused anyway.

I'm not intent on defending anything, I just wanted the things

to be as "logical" as possible. Unless you want to pretend

Sahrani was part of Her Majesty's Commonwealth then a

British flavour seems frankly silly. Anyway I fully intend to do

my own British addons once all the tools are out (and I get

the time) and I don't want your guys stealing my thunder! wink_o.gif

My ideal South Sahrani Royal Guard? Well, OK if I must!

Here's my suggestion...oops! no... scratch that..this?...no...this?  sad_o.gif

But I think I did already mention my ideal in the "logical"

thread. A starched and pressed camouflage uniform (the

base-bludgers - "REMFs" as the Americans say - are always

the ones wearing the "go faster"-looking kit, right? I'd make

them affect some style too, like really tight trousers and

baggy jackets), lots of garish badges (make them look like

bloody boy-scouts - proficiency badges for tying bootlaces

correctly and "Royal Sahrani purple wound stars" for falling

down when drunk etc), a stable-belt (unless you think that's

too British), ludicrously huge polished 18-lace-holes-high

combat boots and a bloody silly hat (with feather hackle -

isn't there an eagle on the Sahrani flag?).

Well, here's something to take into account. According to the new blog up from Porter, Sahrani was used as a British naval outpost.  wink_o.gif

*edit*

Col Faulkner, I like the third picture you posted as an example and I think that would fit in quite nicely. smile_o.gif

Well, here's something to take into account. According to the new blog up from Porter, Sahrani was used as a British naval outpost.  wink_o.gif

Well there you go then! Here's the ideal uniform - a salty

nautical piquancy, garish badges, silly hat, feathers, it's got

the lot (any resemblance to Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson

is purely coincidental and completely unintentional  smile_o.gif )

weenelson.jpg

Edit: Oh dear! I notice that over 77% in the poll say "no"!

Yeah, I know. It's disconcerting that so many people won't be using them. Then again, electricity was once thought to be the work of the Devil by over 77% of the population so it's hard to tell. welcome.gif

Well, I'll probably use them because they have character to them that you can't find in "Everything OD/Desert/Whatever". I really like the individual We're better than You! approach that you took with them.

I was thinking of making some changes to subdue the tones of the uniform but in light of the apparent landslide distain for them, I think I just keep them as originally designed. No sense trying to please people when almost all of them dislike it eh? I figure that when you're this down in the polls, just go for broke and let them talk about your genius in a past-tense, years later, when they finally "get" it. Thanks Clav.

love the parade dress, without the body armour though....

and the "field dress" looks great smile_o.gif

please make both smile_o.gif

You've got something I think here. Why not several versions. They are "Elite" and highly prized by the Monarchy. They probably should have several uniforms for various missions.

I know lots and lots of people who will love to have this model in the game. Seriously, it will make you a hero in our eyes forever. Please make this.

You've got something I think here. Why not several versions. They are "Elite" and highly prized by the Monarchy. They probably should have several uniforms for various missions.

Yes, would figures in a "parade dress" be very popular

anyway (I can imagine some scenarios where one

could use them but not that many - perhaps that's a

failure of imagination on my part)? I do like the "regular"

uniform you proposed elsewhere and if they were made

in decent enough quality I'd definitely use them. My

earlier offer of assistance with weapons and equipment

still stands, if you need it.

I know, I was responding to the guy who said velcro doesn't belong on body armor. Anyways, started working on a picture, of course it's still WIP and maybe a couple details need to be ironed out but I'm pretty happy with it and I think it's able to get the point across fairly well:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9863/ssaharniguyzw2.jpg

Is that a sombrero?

If so, that's freaking awesome.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9863/ssaharniguyzw2.jpg

Is that a sombrero?

If so, that's freaking awesome.

Yeah, I was kinda going for that Spanish breakaway look with the mustachios. I had a little trouble drawing a poncho, but hopefully you can see the intent is there. I also very clearly went with a different style of body armor, and it was modelled heavily off of the steel plate used in "A fistful of dollars," starring Clint Eastwood.

Hi, for a Royal Guard i think that just mod the East Officer textures and give 'em some G3 will be enought, the blue colour is a colour always related to the royalty, change that silly looking dish beret by some white one with some blue, red & gold trash will be enought; and just put some stripes in they'r pants and remove those lower pockets on they'r jacket plus put some more gold buttons on it... and you'll have an adecuate royal guard for stupid parades, for look pimp in front of foreign visits or just to suck up a 2h guard in some door. That's what i think. Let's C ya

These are supposed to be Royal Guards not the guys who patrol some dusty backwater beach town. I guess the people who voted "NO" have no clue about the importance of military pageantry and tradition. I would have expected better here.

I'd say either go fully parade or fully operationnal, I wouldn't mix both. IMHO the buttons on the body armor look out of place and the overvall look is not "flamboyant" enough (the colors are though, maybe a bit too much even) for some kind of official tradition guards. And most official guard units would just go with a simple body armor under their uniform as their job when in dress gear is to look good.

Ideally, there should be two versions of the same unit, one in full parade dress and the other quick reaction security component with much less fancy stuff.

Here's a "fun" little app, normally aimed at the on demand conception of RL prestige/parade uniforms. :

http://www.marck.fr/createur/index_ang.htm

And offtopic, but here's a small quick job in paint on a uniform template with details that are easily adjustable (pockets, cuffs, rank/name tabs etc).

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uniformtemplateic6.jpg

Hi, i've painted over the east officer screenshot released atArmedassault.eu some time ago, plus the rest of the ArmA 1.0 units. And this will be my proposition of the uniform of a royal guard to do stupid parades, guards on doors, receptions of foreign and own VIP's and things like that.

ArmA_east_officer.jpg

For the work (fast reaction team & duty) uniforms... i'll propose to modify the East tank crew and give 'em some yankee style ammo pouches & a pasgt; and i'll use the yankee soldier model with the eastern soldier camo pattern; one with a blue (almost black) beret... and other with helmet. I think that it'll look good; and i keep voting for the uggly and shitty CETME-L LC & LV as weapons for 'em all. Let's C ya

These are supposed to be Royal Guards not the guys who patrol some dusty backwater beach town. I guess the people who voted "NO" have no clue about the importance of military pageantry and tradition.  I would have expected better here.

Or perhaps they have, and know that a bollocksed-up cross

between a French foreign legionnaire, American footballer and

Imperial Stormtrooper is well wide of the mark? I would have

expected better here. tounge2.gif

it would be nice to see them in a fictional 18th or 19th century uniform.....

maybe something like the swedish lifeguard dragoons use.....

http://www.livgardet.mil.se/photo.php?id=71205&aid=1182

here in a model 1895 uniform with silver helmet and carbine m/1894

http://www.hogvakten.mil.se/photo.php?id=11527&aid=3088

and here in a different parade uniform wich i dont know the model...

this is the look i would like...

maybe with a more modern rifle though, you COULD give them M16´s but with the old type of uniform...

preferably something that is inspired by old british uniforms since Sahrani is a old british colony

These are supposed to be Royal Guards not the guys who patrol some dusty backwater beach town. I guess the people who voted "NO" have no clue about the importance of military pageantry and tradition. I would have expected better here.

Or perhaps they have, and know that a bollocksed-up cross

between a French foreign legionnaire, American footballer and

Imperial Stormtrooper is well wide of the mark? I would have

expected better here. tounge2.gif

Today's Lesson is:

Let’s do a checklist!

- Regime is a Monarchy backed by the United States. = YES

- Britain hasn't had as much influence upon them as the Americans have for what is most likely 50+ years. = VERY PROBABLE

- Monarchs and Despots usually treat their Royal Guards like personal toy soldiers and dress them according to a combination of national heritage combined with their personal whims. = YES

- A little "off the beaten path" imagination is a welcome change to strict adherence to the precise military reality that most mods create, and yet it should not go completely overboard as to not totally destroy "suspension of disbelief." = YES

- Free M16A4's are cheaper and more practical than maintaining FN-FAL's, especially when the US is your next door neighbor. = YES

- Interceptor Body Armor has large shoulder coverings. = YES

- American "Footballers" kick Limey "Soccer" fruits ass all day long; all day and all night and all year: America, FUCK YEAH! = WITHOUT A DOUBT

As you cans see, the scientific calculations show that all those who don't like this uniform are unimaginative, limey soccer fruits, so it's probably best to try and roll in the uniforms awesomeness less ye become Oliver Twist. tounge2.gif

Todays lesson has been brought to you by the letters "I" and "PISS EXCELLENCE!" See ya real soon! nener.gif