Sign in to follow this  
PanzerHans

Dedicated administration

I'm a game admin(BF series) and software contributor(admin tools) over at www.tacticalgamer.com. I used to play Flashpoint and I have picked up Armed Assault(German version with language patch). I would like to say that this is one of the few games that really gives me battlefield immersion and great visuals at the same time.

We have a large(10k + registered forumaccounts) playerbase across our gametitles and Armed Assault is one of the titles we believe will be very popular when it is released in English.

We have tried to be ahead of the curve and have set up a dedicated server in order to be ready when the American market starts picking it up. However there is one major hurdle that would be wonderfull to pass. Namely the lack of support for dedicated admining.

We have proven the worth of dedicated admins through the successfull implementation of the battelefield games and hope to employ much of the same services to our community on Armed Assault.

We realize that our admin coverage has to be possible without being ingame, hence the need for a standalone client.

We have the means to implement a dedicated client but we lack the APIs to interact with the server daemon. Are there any plans to provide such an API? Or are there documentation on how we can issue the commands without simulating being an actual game client?

Any insights on this theme would be greatly appreciated(ps. we know about the gamespy protocol for querying the server for basic settings/connected players).

Much sought after hooks would be:

1. Protected remote login for connect.

2. Ability to fetch serverlogs remotely

3. Ability to follow ingame chatmessages

4. Abillity to issue warnings remotely.

5. Ability to do kicks remotely

6. Ability to do bans remotely

7. Modswitching

8. Serversettings

Cheers, PanzerHans.

[sarcasm]API ain't leet .. making the box do what you want by shell .. that is ^.^[/sarcasm]

A serious question though: What need is there to be able to ( e.g. ban players ) remotely without being logged into the server as player ? Are you going to host 100+ machines or what ?

If you do have the server protocol source code from Gamespy it should not be hard to create a GUI with MS Visual Studio to instruct/query the server.

Was there a GUI for OFP server at all ? Never used one.

Quote[/b] ]A serious question though: What need is there to be able to ( e.g. ban players ) remotely without being logged into the server as player ? Are you going to host 100+ machines or what ?

Several reasons.

1. You don't need a gaming machine to follow the game. Admining can be done from the couch while watching TV.

2. You could provide a far superior interface for administration through a dedicated interface.

3. Automatic scripting can be achieved via an API. Instabans for racists remarks and "smacktardiness".

4. Severlogs are available even if you do not have shell access to the server.

Quote[/b] ]

If you do have the server protocol source code from Gamespy it should not be hard to create a GUI with MS Visual Studio to instruct/query the server.

As far as I know gamespy only gives you serversettings and who is on(http://www.int64.org/docs/gamestat-protocols/gamespy.html). If you know of more than this implemented in AA please enlighten me.

@1 Why would you want to follow a game from your couch. Sorry I don't get it.

@2 I really don't need a GUI for what .. 5 commands ?

@3 I do not want a script to decide about who to ban and who not. Anyhow, you can have such a script running on your server whenever you like to. No need for a GUI either.

@4 If you host the box yourself you *have* a shell. If you rented a server, the logs are of little to no importance to you.

As much as I try, I fail to see why anyone would need a GUI for the few simple tasks which administrating an Arma server demands. If BIS are running out of game-related issues to fix - let them make a GUI if they like. Fine with me heh.

Currently our automated anticheat scripts can't interface directly with the dedicated server.

Instead we have to place ip bans, which sometimes affect innocent players.

@1 Why would you want to follow a game from your couch. Sorry I don't get it.

@2 I really don't need a GUI for what .. 5 commands ?

@3 I do not want a script to decide about who to ban and who not. Anyhow, you can have such a script running on your server whenever you like to. No need for a GUI either.

@4 If you host the box yourself you *have* a shell. If you rented a server, the logs are of little to no importance to you.

As much as I try, I fail to see why anyone would need a GUI for the few simple tasks which administrating an Arma server demands. If BIS are running out of game-related issues to fix - let them make a GUI if they like. Fine with me heh.

If you don't understand why this tool would be valuable, then don't bother getting involved. I don't think were looking for people who are NOT interested in an application such as this, but those that ARE interested.

We're looking for some type of API, not a bunch of negativity from someone that wouldn't find use in the tool. It's already clear in this thread that others would find some use in this.

Yeah I would also be interested in this, as we are going to be getting our own dedicated server soon.

BIS any comment on this?

Quote[/b] ]If you don't understand why this tool would be valuable, then don't bother getting involved.

I'm sorry - I'm just a little sys-admin and former 2nd level tech support operator for Microflop. I have no clue about tools.

Quote[/b] ]

I don't think were looking for people who are NOT interested in an application such as this, but those that ARE interested.

You posted on the BIS forums, and you are entitled to receive feedback. Positive and negative. That is how a forum works. In case you do not wish to receive feedback, you might like to submit your 'feature request' through the 'feature request' form on the Wiki.

Quote[/b] ]

We're looking for some type of API, not a bunch of negativity from someone that wouldn't find use in the tool. It's already clear in this thread that others would find some use in this

All I hear you saying is "BIS make us an API." You want to know why I oppose this ? Because I see mountains of things that need to be improved and fixed to make the game enjoyable right now. And I really would not want to spend BIS a single man-hour on something as useless as a GUI for people who want to admin a server from their couch. I can't admin my customers systems from my couch either, but have to be logged into my PC and stare at the screen.

I stick to my opinion that there is no need for a GUI. If someone can't admin a box through a command prompt - he/she should not be an admin. My opinion. Period.

"I" agree .. a remote admin client would be IDEAL. Please keep me updated on any advances in this area. "I" also run a dedicated server and am willing to test any new developments. At present we have to edit the ban.txt file, shutdown the server, replace the current ban.txt file and start the server, losing all players that were on the server at the time. All for (1) dipshit knob. (At that point the ID of that player is communicated to 5 other popular ArmA server admins just so they can add the ID and hopefully not have to do the same shutdown when the server is full of players.)

@Desertfox

Yes you have your opinions, and probably "admin from couch" is a bad choice of words, but everything you say start with "I". Most of us don't care who "I" is, what "I" wants or does for a living. All you say so far is negative, negative, negative. If "I" doesn't want this or need this support, then "I" can move on to the next thread before "I" gets flamed; this thread gets locked and the solution is never provided. PLEASE!

-Yes there are other issues more important, but with the API a programmer can put something together .. kinda like OFPwatch ... perhaps an Addon Manager as well as an Admin Tool all-in-one?!?!

-If BIS has the time to work on ArmA and Game2 .. then they have time for this. NO? BIS can do more than you think they can. Very talented group of people.

-We all payed pretty good money for this and If you think about it ... we are all beta testers and helping to fix these issues. So when a CUSTOMER has a request, it should be granted if it is within reason.

-All your issus will be fixed, even if BIS does or doesnt provide an API for a server admin client.

-If you are all that you say you are ... then why not support this and help make it happen, so BIS can get busy on the other bugs you find more important?

While I woulnd't call it an "API", I understand what the OP wants.

Many other MP server programs have the ability to open up an extra control port through which one can, well, control the game. You'll often see this referred to as "remote console" or "rcon" abilities. This is not just limited to games - the well-known voice chat application "TeamSpeak" has this ability too.

This gives you a way to control and monitor a service outside of the "native" client program (eg the Armed Assault game client). Essentially, the game server accepts text commands from a remote client that could be a command line client such as "telnet" or a GUI client wrapped around the communication protocol. I've seen web-based front ends to game servers. No matter how they present themselves to users, they all use that control port to communicate with the game server.

The need for and usefulness of this should be obvious. Many of the high-profile MP game servers have this - for example the Unreal/Source/Battlefield engine based games, all of which support "remote control" in the fashion described above.

In this day and age, a game server lacking this ability is like a brand new car having only three wheels- sure, you can drive around in it...

Likely, this is something for the ArmA wish list

@Desertfox

Everything you say start with "I". Most of us don't care who "I" is, what "I" wants or does for a living. All you say so far is negative, negative, negative. If "I" doesn't want this or need this support, then "I" can move on to the next thread before "I" gets flamed; this thread gets locked and the solution is never provided. PLEASE!

Ditto, We all can clearly see you dont support this so please go find another thread to troll in. Like you Haxor I also run a server, be it just a small one for friends, but I would very much like some type of remote with which to run the server when Im not playing. PanzerHause please keep us up to date with any progress you have made. Im sure there are alot more admins around that would find this program useful.

Quote[/b] ]Because I see mountains of things that need to be improved and fixed to make the game enjoyable right now.

If your so worried about things getting fixed in this game then why not make some bug entries in the wiki? Dont see your name on there yet.

Thank you gentlemen for supporting the idea.

I added the request a few days ago in the wishlist.

It is already in the wishlist smile_o.gif

You mean the "Dreamlist". haha!

I want this to happen also, but with the API they would also need a security module with it. right? Good hackers would be able to hack in regardless, but a strong encrypted key would be ideal and stop 99.9% of all knobs from making an attempt.

Perhaps this is better suited for Linux devs., sine Winblows has a bigger hole than Debbie does Dallas. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I want this to happen also, but with the API they would also need a security module with it. right?

Yes, however it does not have to be very complex. Just like the battlefield series a random seed sent to the client could be concatinated with the password on the clientside, MD5 hashed and sent back to the server and checked against the originating seed and serverstored password.

This would be sufficient I would think.

We are in the same boat.

I have a dedicated server running three instances of ArmA currently and need a way to admin them without having to log into the server itself. Also I want certain members to have access the game server, but not access it via the remote desktop or screwing around with shells.

As much as I hate to say it because it was a crappy product, we need a Bf2CC type application to admin the dedicated servers. We are gearing up for our second dedicated server with more to follow and this will get mighty confusing without this type of application.

Its a good thing since it can be combined with stats module as well.

The most ofp players which r against it seem just not to know anything like this or the advantages of it.

Just to add comments to this thread..

Much sought after hooks would be:

1. Protected remote login for connect.

---Only external apps can provide this.

2. Ability to fetch serverlogs remotely

---Can be done..

3. Ability to follow ingame chatmessages

---Can be done/has been done.

4. Abillity to issue warnings remotely.

---Not easy to do as there are no methods to inject messages at the moment.

5. Ability to do kicks remotely

---Best you can do is drop all the packets for a small timeframe.

6. Ability to do bans remotely

---Have to IP ban or write to the id ban file.

7. Modswitching

---1.05 would could could change maps. Not mods though. 1.08 i didnt spend a ton of time to figure it out.

8. Serversettings

---Not all settings can be changed without a restart.

Ha nutty!

lemme put some extra spice to this thread...

dsts1.jpg

http://www.armedassault.eu/ArmedAs....re.html

A secure Authentication system is also ready to use...

http://www.armedassault.eu/index.php?option=com_passport

its build by me, and i have to hook it up to the player-server-tracker.

with a extended SquadXML, and a xml hoster tool ( which im working on ) its possible to manage your teams' squadxml. and have only the players on the server - that are verified and authenticated thru your community website.

auto blocking IPS, nicks with wrong pid's , false pids is piece of cake.

as for server administration, its possible in DSTS.

and with the proper code in your missions,  you could make the mission as dynamic as you want to.

Once a DSTS2 armaserver has been hooked up, serverowners have total control.

Now, DSTS enteres its v2 series, tested and tuned for performance, checking variables in ArmA every 5 millisecond doesnt give ANY lagg!

i dont wanna sound like a salesman, but DSTS is really cool stuff.