broadswords instead!   rofl.gif

what about the claymore? they are great tactical devices

You mean the mines or the swords?  wink_o.gif

I recall hearing a story (on good authority) that a Scottish

infantry regiment in the war in Indonesia in the 60s once

asked for "Claymores" but got sent ceremonial highland

broadswords instead!   rofl.gif

Hahaha, that's hilarious.

the idea of simulating those wounds as you say is flat out ridiculous. it would be realistic, but would you want to wait for five months of recovery in a various military hospital to respawn. realism is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but do remember afterall, it's a game

weapons jamming is one thing BIS obviously hasn't thought of. anyone with any military experience knows jams are a common occurance, both on the range, in the field, and in combat. that would be a marvelous idea...

knife fighting...riiiiiiiiight

I think what was meant was:

When you get shot (and dont die) the wound it leaves will eventaully kill you becuase you will loose bleed out, so you might have 2 minutes before you die, but if you are healed by a medic, it will stop you bleeding out, but you are still wounded and need to crawl around if shot in the leg or have bad aiming if you are wounded in the arm.

Personally I think it is a great idea becuase it really makes the medic an important part of the section and eliminates the i've been shot 15 times in the leg but everytime the medic came to rescue.

responding to the medic idea:

I agree with your idea for stabilization of soldiers when they are wounded. If I may offer some suggestions or ideas of my own because I too had these ideas a while back.

My first idea for this is to allow a player to be knocked down by a bullet, not die but incapacitated, and essentially not allow them to move but to look around and call for help. This could simulate an injury and also allow the medic to get to a soldier rather than searching for him while he runs around looking for a medic.

Another goes along with your stabilization rather than heal mechanic. I agree that you can't heal someone in the field only prevent them from dying. Could there possibly be a way to give the medic two different ways of stabilizing a pain killer like morphine (im using this because i dont know what they use in the field now,) as well as bandages. The morphine can allow those who aren't critically wounded to get back into the field earlier while those who are critically wounded ie. those knocked down, must get bandages from the medic so that the bleeding may stop.

One last idea I had for medics is this. While the medics may be able to stop the bleeding could there possibly be a way to evacuate the wounded with a helicopter. Because the field medics can't heal the wounded could the med evac provide better support for healing soldiers. Let's say a squad is pinned down and needs to evacuate two wounded soldiers to heal them. They call a med evac and a helicopter arrives to pick them up and while in the choper have an option to be able to heal those who are wounded so that you don't lose men and you can get those who are wounded back into the field. I know this is a little unreaslistic in the chopper but I imagine having an entire squad dedicated to medical help so that if someone calls in a med evac they get there to pick up soldiers and essentially heal them in the chopper and then bring them down when there is a lull or seecure time in the combat. I wouldnt see soldiers coming right back from the fight but rather having to wait, like a spawn point, on the chopper until they are allowed to land in a secured area.

well evac would be freakin hard if your team is under heavy fire.

well I guess you'd have to carry the wounded, and in which case you might have to be asked to clear a landing zone and secure before it can land. And when i speak of a crew of medics I mean they get out of the chopper and defend that thing while soldiers load wounded. And more often than not the team will need to be asked to clear an LZ, let's say to secure an area for the chopper there can be zero enemies in a certain radius around the squad.

I was also wondering if there was a way to drag bodies in Arma because I was always disappointed when I wasn't able to drag a wounded soldier to the side so I could heal them more safely and this would be helpful when you need to carry wounded to the chopper let's say an over the shoulder carry. I imagine a sort of special ops mission where you have to rescure soldiers or you have to get to a certain point like black hawk down and when a soldier fell but didnt die you could bandage him and carry the soldier over his shoulder, or even have a medical humvee in a convoy so that if a soldier is shot he can stay alive in the humvee until he gets to better treatment or it could be a sort of light medicle vehicle so it can heal but it should have a limit on it's resources and room for the wounded.

This would be awesome to see this in a CTI game where you must protect the convoy as it go to the bases and you become ambushed and must call a med evac cause everyone pretty much died and you find yourself in an attempt to hold off what you can and stay alice until a med evac convoy can get to you and take out any hostiles.

well i remember i wrote some scripts to make an unit stick to another unit (in ofp --> M2 gun over humvee tounge2.gif) so i guess its doable script wise with a little loop.

the thing that puzzle me yet is that i games like tfc and bf the medic advantage is clean cut, he heal you and thus you dont die or have to respawn.

Problem with a more realist approach is that , yeah it stop you from dieing, but isn't it just easier to suicide yourself or get killed so you can respawn at full health?

I am trying to find something that isn't too boring/annoying. An idea i had was that troops respawn on an island where they take AI controlled copters that bring them back in game, so depending when they pop on the "ressuply" island, they might be able to hop in a copter right away or they would have to wait for it to come back...

well i remember i wrote some scripts to make an unit stick to another unit (in ofp --> M2 gun over humvee tounge2.gif) so i guess its doable script wise with a little loop.

That sounds interesting! Does that mean for example that

you could have a two man machine gun team follow each

other closely on the battlefield!?

okay so the knife in the us equipment is just to poke at stuffs and remove something stuck in your boot?

Well i understad knives aren't really used in today's wars

Attaching your bayonet to your IBA makes you look cool, and you can take plenty of pogue ass "Cool Guy," pictures with them, but it would be a sad day in hell when you jump from the humvee and someone shouts, "FIX BAYONETS!"

I'd rather beat someone to death with my E-Tool anyways, you can hit them just right on the neck and either decapitate, or almost decapitate. You can apply a decent amount of pressure under the chin and "POP!" head comes off.

One time we saw this guy from Psyops who strapped a dagger to his boot, but we all made fun of him.

Quote[/b] ]For the knife/bayonet fighting, i KNOW it doesn't sound realistic at all, yet the US army has a whole field manual covering it. So in some situations it could be usefull.

The Army also has a TM on how to arrange your Barracks funiture. So what?

*edit*

I think the only reason we were issued Bayonets is because the armorer had them and needed to clear out the Arms room anyways and he didn't want to take a crate of them with him while he sat on his ass and got fat at Camp Victory.

I don't know what you guys are doing, but the Brits are using them wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] Bayonet Brits kill 35 rebels

OUTNUMBERED British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Army’s first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago.

The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down.

Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara.

The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway.

After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills.

When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway — and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured.

An Army spokesman said: “This was an intense engagement.â€

The last bayonet charge was by the Scots Guards and the Paras against Argentinian positions.

Full Story

That story sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, and in any case, is unique in modern combat.

That story sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, and in any case, is unique in modern combat.

Oh sure, definately. However, one thing it does illustrate is that bayonet is still not completely useless.

It's not exaggerated in fact but the details are

incorrect. It was the PWRR (who were acting as

QRF for the A&SH) who actually made the attack,

for instance. Anyway, that's drifting off-topic...

edit: Which doesn't mean that the enemy were

all spitted; "bullet and bayonet". Well done

by the boys though! Even more OT.

Quote[/b] ]I don't know what you guys are doing, but the Brits are using them

I don't think that once in 22 years is enough to write doctrine. While that's great, and definitely awe inspiring to be sure, that's like saying because David took out Goliath with a stone we should all be using stones. Nobody has ever said the knife has no uses, but jeez..once in 22 years, you know?

And, like I said before, it's a sad day when you jump from the humvee and someone shouts, "fix bayonets!"

Sure it doesn't make a doctrine , but as rare as can be the need to use a bayonet, i think someone could still find satisfaction to have it when the situation would need it.

Also, i know they are usually forbidden, by modern war threaties, but there was a mod implementing several mine models in OFP, however it was merely for mission buildersn i would be interested in a wide array of mine devices, and maybe various demining methods, like the "CARPET".

http://israeli-weapons.com/weapons/mines/carpet/Carpet.html

i think mines can play a very important strategic role in large CTIs

the mod teams who want to add bayonets will add bayonets, those who dont, wont... it doesnt require a 2 page argument given its unlikely to change anyones minds... It certainly won't change mine... we introduced bayonets to OFP and have every intention of adding them to Arma - it wouldnt be british without it biggrin_o.gif

Oh i'm quite aware of that... but reading the last few posts I could have been fooled tounge2.gif

Erm how about special forces etc. They might need it for that silent kill.... why NOT have knive's? i cant understand why you dont want them added?

Well what if you want to kill someone, and you either don't have a silencer or theres someone close enough you hear your silenced shot?

I rekon it should be put in. if the real army have them, why not put them in? If someone wants to mod it, they can, if you don;t want them, don't download whatever mod/addon their made with!

Forget Knives forks and bayonets - how bout some ju-jitsu tounge2.gif  

Serioulsy though I like the blades since thats probably the closest this engine can go as far as hand-hand combat. I'm sure we can all agree that in urban combat/clearance there will always be some level of hand- hand combat. Knives have been done in OFP (SLX) but usually as just a quick little move that instantly kills the opponent. One really cool time was playing VTE/SLX and charlie came stalking out of some dense foliage and my MG turned around and slashed him quick. I would love to see blade attacks taken up a notch, with a strong thrust, reaction animation and sound to being stabbed xmas_o.gif

Erm how about special forces etc. They might need it for that silent kill.... why NOT have knive's? i cant understand why you dont want them added?

Because that's nhot reality. Special Forces' primary mission is to train indenginous personnel. Look, "Spec Ops" isn't Special Forces. I'm wasting my time, though, saying this.

getting back on topic - carrying wounded would be the best 'no heal' solution - personally I hate getting my entire squad cut up just to save one poor blighter stuck out in the bullet zone ... be great to take a charge out with my medic and tow him into safety.

ideally i'd imagine that one guy alone should be able to carry a casualty to safety - maybe have to put down his weapon etc before throwing the 'corpse' over his shoulder. If it was restricted to the medic & the crewmen then it wouldn't become a huge game of piggy-back circus. good luck implementing this one!

getting back on topic - carrying wounded would be the best 'no heal' solution - personally I hate getting my entire squad cut up just to save one poor blighter stuck out in the bullet zone ... be great to take a charge out with my medic and tow him into safety.

ideally i'd imagine that one guy alone should be able to carry a casualty to safety - maybe have to put down his weapon etc before throwing the 'corpse' over his shoulder. If it was restricted to the medic & the crewmen then it wouldn't become a huge game of piggy-back circus. good luck implementing this one!

I've allways wished we had an option to drag a wounded to safety.

No fancy animations needed but a single drag animation. And once in safety, the soldiers could asses the situation. If the wounds arent that bad, regular soldier could patch him up, but if the wounds are serious, u would have to call a medic to treat him.

That would bring some humanity and friendship in the game,