Sign in to follow this  
raedor

ArmA photography - Questions&Comments

Hehe, after a lot of time I'm here again, nice to see there a still a lot of people on the hunt for great photos, nice ones @all!  thumbs-up.gif

It is hard to post up quality pictures because of the draconian rules regarding images not exceeding 100kb.

Hehe, after a lot of time I'm here again, nice to see there a still a lot of people on the hunt for great photos, nice ones @all!  thumbs-up.gif

It is hard to post up quality pictures because of the draconian rules regarding images not exceeding 100kb.

... cut your quality pics into stripes <100kB and post this stripes back-to-back  wink_o.gif

P.S. welcome back Marcus

Size on disk and size over web are invariably different. They tend to change once uploaded for some reason. If you're using photoshop, use 'save to web', if not, make sure to leave a bit of leeway

warning levels are there to keep order, or attempt to. They are given out for 'offences' under the rules that don't constitute an instant ban. Flaming, rudeness, excessive swearing, etc etc etc are examples of such infractions. To try and keep order on the 100kb rule in the CP thread, the are also awarded for going over the limit. If you get 5, its a ban for a length of time determined by the mods. You can ask for the warning box to be removed after a certain period of time, which I can't recall at this moment.

and yes, thats essentially it. Not everyone in the world has access, can afford, or wishes to use broadband/cable. Plus it's not just one picture per page you have to consider, its sometimes 20 or so that need to be loaded at once.

You can always link to a higher res picture underneath a thumbnail, or cut the picture up into several pieces. Many of the regular posters here don't even bother with that, and can produce nice pictures within 100kb.

Yes, many people still use dial up or slow internet connections because they cannot upgrade where they are. It also makes threads load slower when you have 300kb images per each post.

Quote[/b] ]If you're using photoshop, use 'save to web', if not, make sure to leave a bit of leeway

Yea, ill look out for that option next time, I will have to obey the rules before I am the first person banned for posting pictures.

band.gif

Mabey I was being selfish about the size of the pictures but it is hard to optimise jpg's with Photoshop, it may give you a bar but it don't tell you the correct size.

My photoshop tells me what size the jpg will turn out... sure you haven't missed it? Its at the bottom of the window where you select the quality/compression.

Unless you're reffering to the size changing. That seems to be more of an internet thing, and I haven't the foggiest what the reason is. It may say 99kb on your pc, but it always seems to grow once online.

save to web seems to account for this occuring when calculating the final size in kb

I think I will stay out of the photography thread for a wile. Turn some spare time attention to looking after the baby or staying at the pub.

Sometimes, at least in my case, photoshop will TELL me that the fille is going to be like 90Kb or similar and then when i go to check the filesize myself (Right Click + Properties) so it's always worth checking the files yourself instead of trusting Photoshop to tell the truth.

Also cutting them into strips helps

Prydain, I didn't mean that you guys are posting bad screenshots or so with my post before, I really like all the pictures of ArmA! Okay, the most of them some "bug-pictures" are strange and I don't like them so much, but usually I like 'em all. xmas_o.gif

You can slice images with Image Ready wich is a part of Photoshop CS! On this way you can post a quallity picture which is still allowed xmas_o.gif

Parvus and I 're using it and some other users too I guess.

Now let's see what I can do with that old busty babe ArmA...

Regards

M-E

Edit: Oops, Parvus and some more already answered about that whistle.gif

You can slice images with Image Ready wich is a part of Photoshop CS! On this way you can post a quallity picture which is still allowed xmas_o.gif

Parvus and I 're using it and some other users too I guess.

I am going to have to follow that route, as I have said though, for the moment, I am staying away. biggrin_o.gif

Maybe a hint if not generally known yet, but PS does tell you the correct file size. But the trick is to save your jpeg with the 'save for web' instead of 'save as'.

Do the photography makers ever make promotional pictures for people's missions so that the mission maker can post them when making announcements about their mission?

Is it possible someone could take pictures within my CTI mission of a base made by the player? And if you could possibly put your name on the picture so that you get credit? So when I make an announcement about my mission to one of the news sights I could submit your picture with your name on it? I would really appreciate it!

Doolittle

Hmm... we are making promo screens for addons so I don't see eny problems to make some promo shots for missions, I don't know, I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting and much different than screens for addons.

@Marcus great to have You back mate smile_o.gif

Ingram, that screen you last posted (the ones of the desert SLA and BMP) is absolutely beautiful - great composition! One question though - are you playing without shadows?

@Parvus - Just the weapons are UKF ports, the rest is BSF studios' work

...well i know about the exclusiveness of you UK Addon maker (i remeber Blackbloods comments to some old OFP pics) ...

- but in this case i only download this: DOWNLOAD (FTP#1) UK_BRITISH_FORCES_PACK_V1.0.rar [75 MB]  from ArmA Info.

im sure its not necessary here to post the whole readme...

P.S. all used addons in this pack are very nice imho

Ingram, that screen you last posted (the ones of the desert SLA and BMP) is absolutely beautiful - great composition! One question though - are you playing without shadows?

Thanks smile_o.gif. No I am playing with everything on very high also shadows, only antyaliasing I have on Normal smile_o.gif

Thanks got it smile_o.gif Nice shots btw, Maybe you should mask out the runway it looks very plastic or waxy finish around the cracks but i love the effect on the planes.

Ingram you are cheating , you surely recorded those plane photos from the TV news wow_o.gif