Sign in to follow this  
charlieromeo77

Tracers

looks like the inspiration for ArmA tracers wink_o.gif

Looks exactly like Arma tracers !! tounge2.gif

I was there at Knob Creek three years ago. That's very close to what it looked like; actually, they looked a little more like lasers than they did in the film. Anyone who is saying that the "laser" tracers look fake has clearly never shot real tracers, at least not at night. And no, tracers do not look like balls to the shooter or people standing behind him.

I'm not saying that the Operation Flashpoint tracers are perfect, or even good. But they're a lot more accurate than most of the other games' tracers I've seen. No game really portrays tracers accurately. As suggested by the fellow who posted the Knob Creek shoot film, it's not really possible to get them right. It's sort of like the trim wheels in aerial combat simulators.

To make them really look like they do to the human eye, they should be thickened and brightened. But if you make them look like balls, it's going to look very fake and no one who has shot real tracers will buy it. That last film posted, the one with the Thomson shooting green tracers, is not a good indicator of what tracers look like to the human eye.

Yes, the gravamen of this thread, though, is that the ArmA

weapons fire "tracer" every single round, even the rifles, and

there's no way to switch it off!

yea surely thats easily fixed? 1 every 4 rounds for machine gun, an 1 every 4- 5 for rifles maybe, every round is a bit much. altho tanks should have more so they can keep adjusting there fire wink_o.gif

Don't worry, Benny Moore, Faulkner says that to all the people who don't like his thompson tracers video. He just changes the subject icon_rolleyes.gif Haha.

"Anyone who is saying that the "laser" tracers look fake has clearly never shot real tracers"

Well, I HAVE shot many a tracer in my day years ago in the Regs Infantry. And I never thought they looked at all like laser beams. Every 3rd round. Not every round. And they were for nights only(Assault rifles).

And as well they were red/phosphorous. Back in Delta Force 2s day, only nOObs used/played tracer games. Quakers. The dudes who don`t like to actually have to look for the enemy, or use terrain masking. The more hard core mil players always turned em off. I know I will when the game arrives here, if there is a way.

It'd be cool if not loading tracers wasn't client-side, so you gain the advantage of not revealing yourself. smile_o.gif

I just made a bit of a discovery while working on my map. I found weapons that have both regular and subsonic rounds (such as the M4) can load both regardless of whether it has a silencer or not. Firing regular rounds gives tracers while subsonic rounds don't. Not only can you load multiple types of ammo this means you can customise your tracers to an extent (colour, on or off) but not sure if you can select how often tracers are fired or if they use the built in OFP tracers with a different colour or a unique texture/style. Someone else can muck around with config files and find out

But as a temporary solution if you don't want tracers in your map. Remove all standard mags and replace them with silenced ones, the weapon is still as loud as ever but without tracers. Not sure if theres a difference in velocity, range or damage between the 2

no bullet snap, you can probably count on it. Maybe the tracer is what's emitting the bullet snap effect? Heh.

I remember in Operation Flashpoint, i downloaded something, and they changed the tracers, and put in the ricochet.

Im not sure what the 'mod' was, but it looked nice, and from what i can remember, that looked better then the tracers in ArmA, more realistic.

Not every bullet a tracers, but after every 2 a tracer.

Any1 knows what downloadable file for Ofp im talking about?

And from what i remember the tracers looked a litle like 'balls'.

But in real live when i shot with tracers, it did looked more like balls then lines to me.

pistols.gif -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

I'm actually starting to believe noone has ever made to disable the tracers in ArmA by modifying config.bin, otherwise we'd already had an answer.

I remember in Operation Flashpoint, i downloaded something, and they changed the tracers, and put in the ricochet.

Im not sure what the 'mod' was, but it looked nice, and from what i can remember, that looked better then the tracers in ArmA, more realistic.

Not every bullet a tracers, but after every 2 a tracer.

Any1 knows what downloadable file for Ofp im talking about?

And from what i remember the tracers looked a litle like 'balls'.

But in real live when i shot with tracers, it did looked more like balls then lines to me.

WGL

WGL uses BN880's tracers. From the back they look like balls but from the side they are quite long. WGL has all kinds of neat impact effects.

Yes, i believe its WGL.

I liked that A LLLLOT !

Don't worry, Benny Moore, Faulkner says that to all the people who don't like his thompson tracers video.  He just changes the subject  icon_rolleyes.gif Haha.

What are you on about!? I never posted any "thompson tracers video"!

Oh, and I sent enough of them downrange in my day without

needing some poxy gun nut video to prove my point.

Don't worry, Benny Moore, Faulkner says that to all the people who don't like his thompson tracers video. He just changes the subject icon_rolleyes.gif Haha.

What are you on about!? I never posted any "thompson tracers video"!

Oh, and I sent enough of them downrange in my day without

needing some poxy gun nut video to prove my point.

Heh, sorry, that was Zander. You look so much alike! Oh well, Zander wouldn't have worked out for the purposes of my ribbing anyways. I stand by my original statement

goodnight.gif

Don't you know that what with the highly compressed video on youtube and a little simple logic, you can prove anything to anyone? I highly recommend it. Youtube - providing truth to the world, one digitally altered film at a time.

Quote[/b] ]

Why do subsonic rounds from a surpressed rifle make supersonic cracks?

Because they have the same attributes in the config as a supersonic round... or was the question rhetorical?

Why complain here when there's a biki?

yes, tracers in Woggle5 was made by BN880, but i believe he has surcomed to what can only be explained as a 1337 disease, so no tracers for you people anytime soon.

Quote[/b] ]

Why do subsonic rounds from a surpressed rifle make supersonic cracks?

Because they have the same attributes in the config as a supersonic round... or was the question rhetorical?

Why complain here when there's a biki?

To make things advance a bit, hopefully, I just Biki-ed the bug wink_o.gif