Sign in to follow this  
charlieromeo77

Tracers

I have a little video that shows how tracers look like.

Download here. I have cut this part out of an iraq war documentation.

The 'tracers' from flashpoint and armed assault look like the tracers from firing with a minigun.

Its absolutely not realistic how it looks like.

When u fire with a machine gun like the minimi ( m249 ) u dont see lines, u can follow the bullets tracers in the air one by one. The machine guns dont fire that fast that u see lines, its not a minigun. They should really adjust this to be more realistic.

I would say that you don't see lines because not every bullet has tracers. smile_o.gif In OFP and ArmA all bullets are tracer rounds except the silenced weapons. Even the sniper has tracers. huh.gif

I have a little video that shows how tracers look like.

Download here. I have cut this part out of an iraq war documentation.

tracers dont look like this at all, especially from this point of vue.

tracers look like balls for the shooter and anyone behind them, but you cant model them as balls cause people looking at them from the side arent supposed to see balls but small lines.

bn880 did the most realistic ive seen, i hope hes already working on arma ones.

Yes.. it looks like that all bullets in ArmA are tracers. For the assault weapons its not realistic offcourse.

When u look like the weapons in real live from armored vehicles, like 25mm guns, u do see lines.

We used to had the YPR, and when that was shooting u see the lines but they are very little, and u only see that when u see them firing from the side. And that werent tracers by the way.

is it possible to use HDR effect on tracers to add glow ? especially with night vision, it would be really impressive and realistic.

is it possible to use HDR effect on tracers to add glow ? especially with night vision, it would be really impressive and realistic.

Happy Lagging!

I would say that you don't see lines because not every bullet has tracers. smile_o.gif In OFP and ArmA all bullets are tracer rounds except the silenced weapons. Even the sniper has tracers. huh.gif

Exactly. notworthy.gif

Tracers are often set in last five rounds in a magazine in order to inform a shooter of changing magazines. The place of tracers depend on shooters' tastes; someone put it as a last round while others put it as the fifth round from the end.

Exactly. notworthy.gif

Tracers are often set in last five rounds in a magazine in order to inform a shooter of changing magazines. The place of tracers depend on shooters' tastes; someone put it as a last round while others put it as the fifth round from the end.

I would like to see an option in the mission briefing where you can configure your magazines with the number of tracer rounds you want. yay.gifwink_o.gif

I would like to see an option in the mission briefing where you can configure your magazines with the number of tracer rounds you want.  yay.gif  wink_o.gif

Yeah. Realistic infantry sims should be so. tounge2.gif Whether a shooter puts tracers in his magazines or not, the position of tracers in the magazines should depend on the shooter himself. Tracers in assault rifles are often set to tell the shooter out of magazine. This tracer is of course seen by the enemy. If the tracer is fixed as a last round and the shooter cannot change the position of it or disable it, the enemy can easily know that now you are just out of magazine and he will take the advatage of this. The position of tracers and whether the shooter set tracers in his magazines or not should be changable. smile_o.gif

BTW, tracers in machine guns play a different roll. Trancers set in every five round or so are very good guide for the shooter to aim at enemies. He only have to ajust the tracer line to cross his target. He need not even use his machine gun's sight. tounge2.gif But be careful. These usuful tracers in machine guns are very atractive. Enemies will soon detect your position.

Actually the tracers in the new opflash Invasion 44 mod seem to be much better that the standard green lasers from opflash and AA.

Tracers are often set in last five rounds in a magazine in order to inform a shooter of changing magazines.

Who does this, and when?

Yeah I dunno, I always loaded 3 ball and 1 tracer throughout the magazine unless we were specifically told not to load tracers. Using them as a way to let you know that you're about to run out is an ok idea, I guess, because unless the bad guy is reaealy paying attention and you're by yourself, I doubt it would be much of a problem but I'v never seen anyone do that before.

Some troopers just loaded rounds into their magazines and didn't care if they had 5 tracers in a row or something, some people were very meticulous about the pattern, I dunno, I never had time to watch my tracers anyways.

Another thing, if you want ot have control over how many tracers you have; I want to have control over how many rounds I have. I never load more than 25 in the basic issue 5.56m mags because the springs are inferior and I don't feel like messing with double feeds while trying to lay suppression or something.

When firing the c-7A1, i never used tracers. But with the minimi machine gun it was always every 3 bullets a tracer, same like the .50 in Holland

How tracers look depends on the kind of tracer, and the device they're viewed with wink_o.gif Most of us here are viewing tracers on a digital camera after siginificant image compression. That video with the Tommy gun firing .45 acp (11.43 x 23 mm) tracers looked exactly like bn880's tracers in those lighting conditions, with that camera, with those tracers. these tracers look like flashpoint's, under those conditions, with that camera (some course language, I think one of them says a bad word or two). And those tracers from that excerpt from a war documentary look how those particular tracers look in broad daylight near the equator from a shaky camera with extreme zoom. Guncam footage from ww2 often depicts strange, wormy tracers. This is because the camera is shaking, not because the tracers are wink_o.gif

It's a shame you can't assign a texture to flashpoint's tracer poligons. That would be ideal.

ur totally right man.

Camera's doesnt show the way tracers look like the way u see tracers with ur own eye in real.

Anyway, we had a good and long discussion about how tracers look like, but I still haven't figured out how to disable them in ArmA. Can anyone help me?

I cant disable them either.

Guess another bug in the game. Im not suprised biggrin_o.gif

I like how the drop and bounce (particularly the tank mg's etc), but the rifle tracers need improving, and I have no doubt that they will smile_o.gif

The tracers seem to be too long, laser like, and they shouldn't be on every bullet.

Besides improving the graphics of tracers, let us decide the arrangement of tracers in the mag to some extent. All bullets in assault rifles are tracers? It is quite nonsense. wink_o.gif