Sign in to follow this  
Universel

Bring back driving and cursor as in OFP

ooh too bad if you cant drive cars like in OFP... With the mouse it was excellent to keep trucks and cars ON the road. And now we will be driving like the AI was driving in ofp due to the keyboard steering. rofl.gif

You can drive just fine when using the mouse.

It's a tad different now, but far from impossible to steer with the mouse.

I agree to what was said earlier about the car physics btw. They are much better now compared to OFP. Especially the Tank feeling. smile_o.gif

In OFP the steering wheel locked when you steered to either the left or the right with a certain speed.

It's gone now, but the vehicles steer way too slow.

The choppers also fly rubbish.

I tried some more driving with the mouse and it's much easier then in OFP. You don't need a cursor because now you can feel where the car is going. The mouse allows you to simulate a driving wheel so it's pretty easy to turn. And it's easy to go straight ahead when using a mouse, unlike in OFP.

come on.... it took me 10 minutes of training before i got a hang of the new steering...

ok, it felt odd at the start, i agree to that... but its not a huge difference really...

after some practise i cant feel any difference at all...

It seems strange that they would change the mouse movement to such a strange method for ArmA. I've never seen ANY game with a car in it recenter the steering wheel when you have an idle mouse!

Of course in OFP I always turned off mouse driving:

1. Press Num_*

2. Drive with keyboard

While I liked the concept of mouse steering in OFP, the combination of turning-makes-your-view-shift and shifting-view-makes-you-turn often caused some wild and nauseating oscillations!

Is the Num_* toggle freelook/mousedrive still in ArmA (seems BIS has taken a liking to removing OFP features in ArmA)?

Does ArmA still have look-to-apex while driving (turn left, view looks left a little)?

So you're saying in ArmA if you move your mouse to the right and leave it, then hit the gas you will go straight? Or if you move the mouse to the right, wait, then move it back to where you started it won't go straight? (since it was centered after the wait) crazy_o.gif I'll have to try it but it seems a bit off crazy_o.gif

Hmmm, so many conflicting views again! What are all the options in the control menu? Maybe self centering can be turned off? These things are easily overlooked!

I think I need a demo before I can comment further, but it does sound like a few things still need tweaking!  confused_o.gif

i think the different views on the game is due to different tastes...

some wants it to be EXACTLY as OFP but with better graphics..

and some wants it to be a new game but with a lot of things common to OFP...

im in the latter category, i dont want it to be a OFP clone with better graphics...

i want it to be a new experience..

to me, all it takes is a bit of training..

This has to do with usability, not with wanting things to be like in OFP. Why worsen things that were more or less working in OFP?

I'm also able to drive the cars with the new steering, but it feels like guessing where your tires point at...

I always used mouse+keyboard in OFP which was pretty effective for each situation... If I wanted to make a fast turn, I used my keyboard and the mouse for looking and for some slight corrections or curves the mouse was always enough smile_o.gif

I don't neccesarily agree with needing a cusor while driving (in fact the less hud the better!wink_o.gif because that's what the steering wheel is for!

I havent tested much vehical driving but i guess the fucked up habiliuty theyve demonstrated in choppers, soldier movemente and aiming and airplanes has to be also present in driving.

Geez Bis, who the hell have you listened to to fuck up the game the way you have???

My god...

I am sorry but I cant get used to a steering wheel and a vehicle permanently oscillating left/right every time I want to make a turn.

(1) I drag mouse left, wheel goes left -> I reach the edge of my mouse pad, the truck stops steering -> by the time I place my mouse on the opposite edge of the mouse pad, the wheel goes center and truck goes straight and is about to leave the road -> goto (1)

The longer the turn is, the more you have to repeat these steps.

Guys, try to drive a truck mouse only, and tell me how it feels...

I am sorry but I cant get used to a steering wheel and a vehicle permanently oscillating left/right every time I want to make a turn.

(1) I drag mouse left, wheel goes left -> I reach the edge of my mouse pad, the truck stops steering -> by the time I place my mouse on the opposite edge of the mouse pad, the wheel goes center and truck goes straight and is about to leave the road -> goto (1)

The longer the turn is, the more you have to repeat these steps.

Guys, try to drive a truck mouse only, and tell me how it feels...

Seconded. All that is needed is that the direction of driving does not auto-center. Difficult to drive in the wonderful world at speed.

My respond to all complaints

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE</span></span>

Do it better yourself if you're unhappy

mad_o.gif

I don't neccesarily agree with needing a cusor while driving (in fact the less hud the better!wink_o.gif because that's what the steering wheel is for!

my thoughts exactly. people praised the realism in ofp and wanted even more of it in arma and now they want cursors?? i don't get it wow_o.gif

i was hoping this would be fixed on this 1st hot fix from BIS, but i guess i was wrong..

should i be disapointed..? sad_o.gif

i was hoping this would be fixed on this 1st hot fix from BIS, but i guess i was wrong..

should i be disapointed..? sad_o.gif

The hotfix was mainly meant for the German Securom issue, and the game hasn't been out for that long. Remember that patches for OFP had some major changes - new vehicles, missions ,features like eventhandlers which did alot for mods and many new scripting commands.

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE</span></span>

mad_o.gif

Yes, 'cause of course, NO complaints are valid.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: just drove across the entire island in 30 minutes in a hummer (took a detour, but not much). The place is HUGE. The only reason I did so was to try using my stick for steering, and was quite surprised at how well it worked. Can be a bit touchy, but has full range of speed and turning control.

mad_o.gif

Pretty pointless post, no complaints = no improvements.

And saying "do it better yourself" is pointless also, everyone that bought ArmA has a right to post such things (especially something that worked so well in OFP and has been changed) banghead.gif

I agree about how driving vehicles in ArmA with 3rd person view is worse then OFP, I like to use mouse and keyboard for vehicles in OFP, in ArmA it feels wrong now so I have to use joystick which I only used in OFP for aircraft. And having such poor cockpit views like the west 5t truck makes things even worse.

I really hope BIS change the ArmA 3rd person views to like it was in OFP, it makes ArmA feel like some very cheaply made game. Atleast give people the option to change it back to how OFP is, from the people I've spoken to and what I've seen here most prefer the OFP mouse and 3rd person method which worked so good.

@ J W, you post was about as meaningful as a Vegan with a hunting rifle! .... Also read the forum rules:

Quote[/b] ]§6)Do not type in all capital letters

Typing in all caps equals according to standard net etiquette to yelling. It is also difficult reading such posts.

@ AUS_Twisted, Did you mean 1st person view (ie. cockpit view)?  smile_o.gif

I agree that they should get ride of the auto centering.

And i looked in the options and couldnt find a option to put it off.

@ J W, you post was about as meaningful as a Vegan with a hunting rifle! .... Also read the forum rules:

Typing in all caps equals according to standard net etiquette to yelling. It is also difficult reading such posts.

Indeed, but they should know better.

I still think they're basicly whining about something that's just a matter of getting used to.

So what's the big f-ing problem?

Indeed, but they should know better.

I still think they're basicly whining about something that's just a matter of getting used to.

So what's the big f-ing problem?

No it's about something that feels very wrong, it's nothing to do with the physics either. It's a control and view issue which felt far better in OFP, I can tell you now from experience online in a lot of different car racing sims since 96 that having bad views can actually make decent physics feel wrong and awkward to use, OFP feels far more natural to use in this area.

Wether you agree with me or not, I know most people who get ArmA now and in future will dislike this area of the game because of such simple things that can ruin gameplay. Like has been stated before, why change something that worked so well in OFP that made using vehicles enjoyable to use? this is not physics related it's control (mouse) and view related, and saying use keyboard instead is silly since analog controls should give users much more control then a digital button.