Sign in to follow this  
akm74

Motion Sickness ?

A friend of mine can't play FPS because of this. I never have any probs with any game.

I think this 'motion sickness' comes up in the traditional corridor shooters with repetitive environments (like errrmm corridors) ... so. yes, like Doom, Quake, HL, and in 3d ... Descent.

OFP/ArmA being outdoors in non-repetitive environment i think there is hardly a change you will get this (although the waves in Elite nearly made me sea sick:):)

I will check on my friend to see if he can play OFP/ArmA one day (he's not really into shooters just because of this sickness effect it has on him)

Now the guy who had probs in HL but not in UT ... that's a bit strange i have to say.

haha omg i cna't belive you people can get motion sickness out of a game but hey there's people for everything in the world.. tounge2.gif

hmm intresting read there stephanK smile_o.gif i haven't felt motion sickness in any games maybe headache if i was tired sometimes. smile_o.gif

I got motion sickness once.. The first time I tried Unreal.. All the advanced lightning etc. were something my brain wasn't used to. I think it got away after a couple of days.

Quote[/b] ]Did any of you guys experience motion sickness?

No.

Quote[/b] ]Specially when running around?

I think OFP and therefore ArmA too is so slow paced game and not any quAk3 r0cK3t Ar3nA 3 that there is no chance of getting motion sickness. Its games which are more fast paced which cause that.

Quote[/b] ]Motion Sickness is a problem with the person, not the game. So it can happen with any game.

Well yes and no. I have never ever had any problems with OFP, but with some other quake games I've had so much problems that I couldn't play them. So yes, its GAME related in my case at least.

Generally I think it comes down to this that the other shooter games look like shit, those "LEVEL" corridor idiotic things with "dancing & frag" high paced action, OFP looks like real life with large environments with normal pace. Dunno, thats how I see it.

Well, I'm no docter. I just figured that if some have no motion sickness while playing games and some do it was the person.

I personally have not experienced it from any game.

If you have motion sickness, just wait until mission and mod makers find about setVectorUp scripting command...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxI40u6Wyw

crazy_o.gif More.... more!!!! I want to see more of the new commands in use. biggrin_o.gif

Well, this is getting offtopic but we don't really have scripting forum yet either...

I would need to brush up on my vector math before I can do anything serious with them, but if you ever wanted to have that car wreck lying sideways, it's now possible... Helicopter modders probably find it most useful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAOeD8SiZoo

I read about the HL2 motion sickness before and just google'd..

hl2 motion sickness.

Try changing the FOV or refresh rate, aspect ratio might have an influence too, i never had any problems with games but if you could play OPF then it should be something relating to the above, i doubt the animations have anything to do with it smile_o.gif .

I remember there was something about this @Avonlady's FAQ (changing the OPF FOV), it might work for Arma too smile_o.gif .

when i first played HL2 i played through the whole game no motion sickness.

but now when i try it i feel it. especially in indoor environments.

I think it's related to how 'un-natural' the game feels. Even though i have a high frame rate (geforce 7900gtx) the ingame character keeps getting stuck on tables and generally not interacting 'fluidly' with the game envirnoment.

low or stuttering/jerky FPS could also be a major cause for the feelling in other games..

also take hope in that you can get 'used' to it. When i first played Quake i got major dizziness, but when i tried it again later on another PC the feeling was much reduced.

Also, notice that many people mention Quake and HL2. i think there's something about how their animation or rendering is done that can cause some people to feel queasy.

i don't think ArmA will do that to many people.

Usually the cause of motion sickness that I'v seen is due to fast imagery and fast body movement,spin yourself in a chair and well you know,similar to games,some people just have trouble with fast moving imagery. A friend of mine would complain about motion sickness when I would play sonic adventure 2 around the last level with all the rails,said it was too fast for htem to cope with. Nothing can be done about this other than the user becomming used to it or coping with it somehow,close your eyes if you have to.

I thought I was the onlyone man im glad i am not alone on this.

I first got motion sickness on a PS1 game aliens i think it was.

and then on doom on nintendo 64.

I finnaly found out what causes mine its tunnels and enclosed spaces, i also get it when im in spectate mode on cod2 if the person im watching waves their gun around while jumping.

It aint pleasent for anyone who suffers this your neck goes all hot and you feel like you have heat stroke. I now stop playing as soon as i feel like this but i have carried on before only to end up having to lay down and feeling real dizzy.

Im sure its just a select few who suffer from this type of thing but anyone who thinks they are starting to feel sick and dizzy take a break and get some fresh air it will pass, dont carry on untill your vomiting and passing out.

me to, the alien trilogy on psx crazy_o.gif

and die hard trilogy, its not just the gamer its also the game

i used to be a rally driver and i had no probs on the dirt

also have no probs with the likes of GTA and gran turismo or driver 1, but theirs a few games wana make me hurl,

that driver 2 is a mild 7 out of 10 for the barfing scale after a long period of playing

doom on the psx was another one and duke nuke'em,

their a 10 out of 10 on the chuck scale lol

i think alien trilogy is the worst though

getting your eyes checked and getting the optimal refresh rate on your monitor is important to

most forget but when we play on a pc we tend to be sitting a lot closer than we would when playing on an xbox or ps2 using a tv

i hope Armed Assault aint gona make me spew goodnight.gif

I only experience sickness when it laggs, not sure if its motion sickness, but i feel very sick when frame rate is less than 24fps.

erm i mean 40 fps for fps shooters.

hey there, I am in the group who get motion sick easily.

Those from the out-group: Refrain from judging, it's simply hardcoded into some people's bodies

From my experience: ArmA is more prone to cause motion sickness than OFP, but only slightly so. Reason: you can change direction more flexibly, arm movement affect your vision, camera feels a bit more wobbly.

OFP was one of the few FPS that made me feel perfectly stable

The "banana man" preview (with its obvious twitchy MP playing style) also made me fear that ArmA would lose solid ground too ... but it is still OK. The camera is not hovering or sliding through space (as in MOHAA, CoD etc.), you are still walking.

Yeah, I also wanted to say that motion sickness is most likely cause by FOV. I had no problem with OFP for 5 years, until I got my wide-screen and adjusted some settings in ini file to make it non-streched. That gave me massive headaches and dizziness almost instantly. Same thing happened when I switched Call of Cthulhu from 1600x1200 to 1440x900. I had not problem with any other games so far. ArmA runs fine in wide-screen, but then again it depends on a person.