Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

Armed Assault is -AMAZING-

Well, I'm using a creative x-fi professional and IMO the sound is bad, yes, there is postprocessing of the audio, but no reflection, hardly any reverb and the filtering is off so the slightest obtrusion strips the sound of ALL it's high and medium frequencies making every gouns sound like a bass drum phasing in and out.

And not to mention that the game goes down to about 2-3 fps during the campaign no matter what settings I use...

I haven't experiened any of the issues you describe ethne, and the sound is certainly not tinny and low quality, they are some of the best sounds I have heard in a game. Perhaps it a problem with the way your sound card handles the game, or processor load, rather than the game itself.

I haven't experiened any of the issues you describe ethne, and the sound is certainly not tinny and low quality, they are some of the best sounds I have heard in a game. Perhaps it a problem with the way your sound card handles the game, or processor load, rather than the game itself.

Well, most people are complaining about the same things. My system is more than up to the task of this game. Guns DON'T sound like that. If you want to see how guns sound, play PRMM (BF2 Mod). It has some of the best gun samples I've heard in a game.

E

I'm no soldier, but from watching war videos taken by the guys over in Afghanistan, they sound pretty authentic to me. Perhaps they're not 100% as they should be, but, they are good enough and get the job done.

The overall sound of a battle is amazing with muffled shots from afar, high pitched snaps from up close, and a crack everytime a bullet passes your head.

It does it's job in immersing me in the game, in my opinion, it's perfect.

I'm no soldier, but from watching war videos taken by the guys over in Afghanistan, they sound pretty authentic to me. Perhaps they're not 100% as they should be, but, they are good enough and get the job done.

The overall sound of a battle is amazing with muffled shots from afar, high pitched snaps from up close, and a crack everytime a bullet passes your head.

It does it's job in immersing me in the game, in my opinion, it's perfect.

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions biggrin_o.gif

To be fair, the sound in OFP was naff out of the box as well. Thankfully, Im sure there will be some great sound packs to solve the problems.

E

Well, most people are complaining about the same things. My system is more than up to the task of this game. Guns DON'T sound like that. If you want to see how guns sound, play PRMM (BF2 Mod). It has some of the best gun samples I've heard in a game.

E

Well, if you want to know how guns sound, buy them and fire them yourself. To compare gunsounds with this and that game is simply stupid because maybe, and only maybe, the other games gunsounds are not real as well wink_o.gif

It's nice to read some good reviews about Armed Assault. All those "I found another bug" thread started to get on my nerves... icon_rolleyes.gif

Have you heard americas army?

First game that I've heard where the effects really makes the game sound real...

video I was looking for a musicless vid for over 15 mins but found nothing but this, but even in this clip you can hear the difference...

And yes, the sound in BF2 is lightyears ahead of arma, I for one is not ok with that...

E

Well, if you want to know how guns sound, buy them and fire them yourself. To compare gunsounds with this and that game is simply stupid because maybe, and only maybe, the other games gunsounds are not real as well wink_o.gif

It's nice to read some good reviews about Armed Assault. All those "I found another bug" thread started to get on my nerves... icon_rolleyes.gif

How will things get fixed if bugs aren't pointed out? I'm equally sick of all the "I have blinders on, this game is so amazing and there is nothing wrong with it" comments. It has massive potential but it's a little rough around the edges. So was OFP for that matter, its not the end of the world and I'm still enjoying it. But to laud it as this flawless product as some people are doing is downright dishonest!

E

RedStorm I'm thankful for your review.

I'm glad you created a new thread, as I pretty much ingore the first impressions thread. I wouldn't have read it, had you posted there. It's nice to read a review of someone with a different mindset, someone looking for positives, rather than negatives.

I've ordered my game in Germany and are counting the days.

First game that I've heard where the effects really makes the game sound real...

video I was looking for a musicless vid for over 15 mins but found nothing but this, but even in this clip you can hear the difference...

And yes, the sound in BF2 is lightyears ahead of arma, I for one is not ok with that...

Yes, I have played America's Army, but still prefer Armed Assault's sound. The thing I like about the sound in this game, is that, in a battle with multiple people firing, it actually sounds like multiple people firing, rather than a collection of amples from single weapons. It gives a much more realistic simulation of a battlefield experience, in my opinion.

But then, sounds will always be down to opinion, as completely unrealistic sounds can feel more immersive to some people than totally realistic ones. It' all about what feels right, rather than what is actually 100% on the spot, and I think ArmA has done very well with sounds.

Thing is Americas Army doesnt use that many sounds simultaniously, and its not perfect either, like handgrenades sound the same wherever you throw them. Sometimes when im shot at i hear "vuufff..vuhufff...vuoofff" and almost miss the round "detonation" inside the chamber even if the guy is close by.

You should also keep in mind that Arma has SP/coop and handles 100's of units per map including vehicles, artilery, shelling so BIS needs something eficient when having alot going on, and i really mean alot!

i like to read this kind of review to balance the other negative reviews out (and as a few negative reviews of the czech game come from people not in czech or surrounding territory i wonder if some probelms are ARMA's version of FADE anti-piracy protection).

Still trying to find a way to import it to Australia, but worst comes to worst i'll have to buy it online even if its german version or wait till next year Q1.

Really looking forward to the game (and to the first patch lol).

smile_o.gif

Great review indeed. Like Dallas says its good to read a review from someone looking at the good parts of the game, at least that stops the useless and repeating call for fix screams all over the place.

Luckely as with the arma release it goes the same for any game. Everywhere you see people burn down a game soon after release...............Well, they hopefully move on, or maybe back smile_o.gif

Looking forward to read more positive news! And funny bugs are welcome too rofl.gif

/Agree 100% with Red's review

i also agree with the people on about bugs

It is quite buggy at the moment, and some stuff needs looking at, but when this game gets patched/updated and it has spread amongst the community. It will be one hell of a game, just like OFP thumbs-up.gif

Heya guys, thanks for the replies!

I sort of tend to ignore the personal attacks here, but it's nice having some people point out the less good points of this game in a rather more civilized manner. tounge2.gif

Is this game perfect? No. Is it the best war simulation I've every played? It definitely is. Anyone here who knows half a thing about how real armies work will appreciate the small details half the people seem to miss. Anything from proper field manual animations for running, spriting, weapon stance and trigger finger animations to detailed and accurate modeling of weapons.

The game is not yet finalized, but it still blew me away - literally. If you think I'm a fanboy talking, you're wrong there. I posted here heavily after OFP was initially released but then stopped posting altogether for years until now when I got ArmA. I felt I had to share with you (who might not have it yet!wink_o.gif how good this game actually is.

I'll try and take some vids later on for those who also have low end systems and don't want to believe that it can still run very smoothly! wink_o.gif

The OFP fans who loved the slow gameplay, tactics and fast thinking under fire with proper use of cover and scoot will love this game. People who were hoping for a faster CTF and more of a focus on twitch-n-shoot will probably have to find something else to play. Playing this game in coop (only mode I'v eplayed as of yet) will simply boggle your mind. When you run into enemy fire, you really feel your heartbeat raising. It's more intense and immersive than most anything you can play out there - and I've played a lot of the war games competitively online! America's Army, Call of Duty, a lot of Red Orchestra (from mod 1.0b up to the latest Ostfront installment), Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor, Day of Defeat, the list goes on and on. Nothing compares to this.

PS. The soundcard I use is a rather cheap one... it uses AC '97 drivers, that's all I can tell you... can't remember quite what it was.

@redstorm

Your giving me a complex. I was finally on the verge of being 'at peace' with ArmA needing a major overhaul, comfortable with it's abscence in America, knowing that the wait would be good giving modder's a chance to fine-tune it.

But now... I want it! I love tactics and the way you've described it... I want it!

Yes, I have played America's Army, but still prefer Armed Assault's sound. The thing I like about the sound in this game, is that, in a battle with multiple people firing, it actually sounds like multiple people firing, rather than a collection of amples from single weapons. It gives a much more realistic simulation of a battlefield experience, in my opinion.

But then, sounds will always be down to opinion, as completely unrealistic sounds can feel more immersive to some people than totally realistic ones. It' all about what feels right, rather than what is actually 100% on the spot, and I think ArmA has done very well with sounds.

That's the thing, arma uses openal, which is confirmed, that is a HUGE resource to the game, and really IS a leap in technology compared to ofp.

Is the sound better in arma, most definately, is it all it can be, no way, I've been looking into openal pogramming and there are real powerful tools out there but they seem omitted from arma.

It bothers me to hear smething that sounds like a bass drum just because the enemy is standing on the opposite side of a house, something close to that would happen if he were a kilometer away...

Heya guys, thanks for the replies!

I sort of tend to ignore the personal attacks here, but it's nice having some people point out the less good points of this game in a rather more civilized manner. tounge2.gif

Is this game perfect? No. Is it the best war simulation I've every played? It definitely is. Anyone here who knows half a thing about how real armies work will appreciate the small details half the people seem to miss. Anything from proper field manual animations for running, spriting, weapon stance and trigger finger animations to detailed and accurate modeling of weapons.

The game is not yet finalized, but it still blew me away - literally. If you think I'm a fanboy talking, you're wrong there. I posted here heavily after OFP was initially released but then stopped posting altogether for years until now when I got ArmA. I felt I had to share with you (who might not have it yet!wink_o.gif how good this game actually is.

I'll try and take some vids later on for those who also have low end systems and don't want to believe that it can still run very smoothly! wink_o.gif

The OFP fans who loved the slow gameplay, tactics and fast thinking under fire with proper use of cover and scoot will love this game. People who were hoping for a faster CTF and more of a focus on twitch-n-shoot will probably have to find something else to play. Playing this game in coop (only mode I'v eplayed as of yet) will simply boggle your mind. When you run into enemy fire, you really feel your heartbeat raising. It's more intense and immersive than most anything you can play out there - and I've played a lot of the war games competitively online! America's Army, Call of Duty, a lot of Red Orchestra (from mod 1.0b up to the latest Ostfront installment), Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor, Day of Defeat, the list goes on and on. Nothing compares to this.

PS. The soundcard I use is a rather cheap one... it uses AC '97 drivers, that's all I can tell you... can't remember quite what it was.

Agreed! Given time I have no doubt this will be a better game than OFP. There are some annoying bugs but I have no doubt they will be fixed. My expectations were very high and the more I use the editor, the more I see the potential for great things.

E

I keep hearing people with X-Fi and Audigy cards saying the sound is crap, and people with AC97 saying it's fantastic.  I believe we have hardware compatability issues here.  Same goes for video card and framerate with detail and settings.  Before judging peoples opinions, I believe we need to take into account the brand and series hardware used and the average response from them.  

Redstorm MAY ACTUALLY be hearing the most kickass realistic audio made, not just an opinion.  Let's remember that all machines are not identical, and it can make a huge difference from one brand to another at the same level of technology.

BTW: Thanks for the reviews from someone who wants to play a game and have FUN doing it. thumbs-up.gif  The spirit of the review is what I'm after.  Not a accountants punchlist of features.

BTW Part II: Did everyone with Creative Labs cards who complained of tinny noises and bad sound effects remember to turn off the CMSS 2 or whatever it is now called in the X-Fi series? Just a thought, as that was the number 1 complaint about the last 2.5 generations from Creative

Yes it may well be the X-Fi that is causing the problem. Doesn't make me feel any better, but it can be fixed so .... no big deal!

E

Its same (buggy) on Audigy 2 ZS. I've tried disabling the hw accel. and EAX ingame, but it stayed the same (didn't try the restart, though).

Otherwise, sounds are kickass and game is very immersive, especially when you're pinned down smile_o.gif__

oh btw: i heard "enemy AI spetnaz" saying "he's history" just few seconds after he headshotted my buddy smile_o.gif i've been "a seagull" in that time and just flying over spetnaz :]

Its same (buggy) on Audigy 2 ZS. I've tried disabling the hw accel. and EAX ingame, but it stayed the same (didn't try the restart, though).

Otherwise, sounds are kickass and game is very immersive, especially when you're pinned down smile_o.gif__

oh btw: i heard "enemy AI spetnaz" saying "he's history" just few seconds after he headshotted my buddy smile_o.gif i've been "a seagull" in that time and just flying over spetnaz :]

Yeah, I've experienced the AI commenting on my untimely demise as well .... its kinda eerie ..... and cool!

E

Ahh yes, another cool thing to add to the list! Battles are very immersive now also thanks to the fact you can hear other squads communicate!

It makes for hectic battles where people are talking and screaming all around you. Commands are given in friendly squads which you as another squad can also hear and if you listen closely you can hear the enemy shout commands as well. Very nice touch.