Sign in to follow this  
Avimimus

Helicopters in AA

I take it that:

- Fixed wing aircraft are still almost impossible to use

- Helicopters do not engage each other

- Helicopter AI does not hover and fire or circle an opponent allowing the door gunner to fire etc. (so you have to fly as the pilot instead of as the gunner)

- Helicopter flight-model has not been updated since OFP

- Helicopter damage model lacks much detailed area specific damage and relies on hitpoints

How much of this is true?

I take it that:

- Helicopter AI does not hover and fire or circle an opponent allowing the door gunner to fire etc. (so you have to fly as the pilot instead of as the gunner)

- Helicopter damage model lacks much detailed area specific damage and relies on hitpoints

The bold statement is false, since it has been updated and is supposedly more realistic now. I do not have answers to the other questions as I don't have ArmA yet. smile_o.gif

I take it that:

Where from did you take those assumptions ? huh.gif

I take it that:

-Dont know (what you are talking about tounge2.gif )

-They already can in OFP

-Dont know, but they probably wont

-False, it was improved in OFPE and in ArmA its even better

-Dont know, but probably still lacks it

Where from did you take those assumptions ? huh.gif

Worst case scenario.

Well we have area specific damage in BAS and Our Weapons and the AI is supossed to be modifyable in AA...

So if the FM has indeed been updated...

thumbs-up.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Well we have area specific damage in BAS and Our Weapons

We do? huh.gif

Well you could shoot (or get shot) as the pilots and there were some scripts that would give the impression of systems being damaged. Which is close enough for me.

I take it that:

- Wrong. Better handling now. 100% sure.

- Wrong. Already possible in OFP. 100% sure.

- Not sure.

- Wrong. Much better handling. 100% sure.

- Wrong. You can now disable helicopters tail rotor, engine, etc. 100% sure.

I take it that:

Fixed wing aircraft aren't impossible to use in FP. They just need a few adjustments (like yaw control) and they'll be OK.

Helicopters have always engaged each other AFAIK.

Helicopter AI seems to be to attack straight on or simply run on by, but definately some improvement there would be great.

Ditto on helicopter flight model, but there's been a lot of people claiming that the FM is fixed up.

Ditto on damage, rather than having to use other scripting methods to figure out damage.

Got few questions to one of the lucky bastards which already have ArmA wink_o.gif Could You please tell me :

-Is flying heli simillar somehow to what we have in BF2 ? I mean pilot plus guner which operate MG and can switch to hellfire view to lock on targets and lauch guided rockets ?

- Can we use Joystick to fly heli and harier ?

- Can we drop harier's laser guided bombs on targets pointed out by infantry with laser designator ?

- Can we shot down heli with HMG fire ?

Thx in advance tounge2.gif

Kirq, you can already use a joystick in OFP for controlling aircraft. And I am pretty sure that wiht the aid of scripts you can also target targets designated by a laser designated ... in OFP. So it should be possible in ArmA.

1.can u reverse the throttle for the collective

2. Can have have a clear font view with no canopy i know its sposed to be realistic with the canopy but i dont think it is your 2 eyes cancel out any canopy posts, what am i going on about?

3. Can u luanch hellfires with a tv guided display thios woudl be so good are there any avionics modeled in the hud please.

Ok, first of all:

HELLFIREs are laser guided or radar guided. They have nothing to do with TV unless your sensors use TV sensors to track targets and point the laser. tounge2.gif

Secondly, your eyes don't cancel out canopy framing. They obscure parts your view even if you ignore them.

But the throttle, yeah - being able to reverse an joystick or mouse axis would be a definate plus. In FP it was automatically reversed for flying jets or helicopters, but it'd be nice to be able to reverse the axis direction regardless of what we're piloting.

I don't know about bf2 flight model but I hope that they DID NOT use what bf2 did for attack helicopters,pilots should have no weaponry unless alone,if a gunner is there,they should let the gunner do their job and the pilots focus on their own job.

I'm rather curious of what your talking about Franze,I don't quite understand..the joystick I use has reversing but..

If your worried about the canopy here are three suggestions-

1. Use V or 0 key to use the helicopters cannon optics for a better view.

2. Use the exterior view instead of interior

3. Practice,use the interior view and become effective with it,some servers won't allow third person view so this really comes in handy.

As I understand it, pilots usually have control of the rockets, the gunners have anything else.

I don't know about bf2 flight model but I hope that they DID NOT use what bf2 did for attack helicopters,pilots should have no weaponry unless alone,if a gunner is there,they should let the gunner do their job and the pilots focus on their own job.

In BF2 pilot controls only unguided rockets which makes sense case he is the one who can aim it. Gunner controls canon and guided rockets. To be hones heli flying was the best made feature in BF2

(not too much arcade) in my opinion i spend lots of hours in the air with my Bro onboard ( and on coms) wink_o.gif .

I just watched homemade vids linked in vid topic, one of them is covering heli attack on vehicle covoy moving down the road next to the shore. While i was watching that vid i had a strong feeling that ArmA heli fligt system is far from simulator-like one which has been annoced by BIS. Heli was doing incredible, crazy spins and barrels over convoy, finally it got stuck on the trees hanging with its nose down while rotor still working ( touching ground and trees), the worst thing was that the heli finally got released and could still fly and engage that convoy.... This vid seriously woried me huh.gif I hope it was recored with some kind of "arcade/easy" fly setting. Can anyone tell something about flying heli in ArmA ?

I just watched homemade vids linked in vid topic, one of them is covering heli attack on vehicle covoy moving down the road next to the shore. While i was watching that vid i had a strong feeling that ArmA heli fligt system is far from simulator-like one which has been annoced by BIS. Heli was doing incredible, crazy spins and barrels over convoy, finally it got stuck on the trees hanging with its nose down while rotor still working ( touching ground and trees), the worst thing was that the heli finally got released and could still fly and engage that convoy.... This vid seriously woried me huh.gif I hope it was recored with some kind of "arcade/easy" fly setting. Can anyone tell something about flying heli in ArmA ?

Hm, looks like Damage/Collision System in Flashpoint. I too like to know if there is some sort of Flight/Damage Model setting in the difficulty options. It also seems in that video as if the AH-1 has no weight, it's moving like a plastic toy.

But, no fear. This is the release version of the game. I'm sure there will be plenty of heavy patching in the near future (as with OFP in the past). The guys at BIS did a really great job with patching up Flashpoint and I'm sure they'll do even a better job with ArmA.

Ok, first of all:

HELLFIREs are laser guided or radar guided. They have nothing to do with TV unless your sensors use TV sensors to track targets and point the laser. tounge2.gif

Secondly, your eyes don't cancel out canopy framing. They obscure parts your view even if you ignore them.

Well whatever its like hopefully it will be modable so some sort of proper avionics could be included, even perhaps a clickable switch cockpit- perhaps thats asking fo to much

I just want longbow 2 style avionics in armed assualt. I would love it if you had to really learn to fly the choppers properly form engine start up to everything and on tanks as well. :-) I ask to much I know but we dont know how modable armed assualt is yet wouldnt it be fantastic if we had this.

In BF2 pilot controls only unguided rockets which makes sense case he is the one who can aim it. Gunner controls canon and guided rockets. To be hones heli flying was the best made feature in BF2

(not too much arcade) in my opinion i spend lots of hours in the air with my Bro onboard ( and on coms) wink_o.gif .

And the problem with that is that,and this is definatly evident in special forces,that it killed teamwork for most pilot and gunner interaction,these days if you hope to get proper use of the two you have to fly with a friend. Otherwise most pilots just try to "whore" the kills for themselves.

The thing with bf2 is that it's a flexible system that lets you do stuff with high accuracy. Is it's realistic? Probably not. But is the stiff ofp take on it any better? Worse if you ask me. If you've seen ace pilots flying little birds or just about any sleek transit or even more dedicated attack helis in real life - it's flexible, fast and you hawk down, nap the earth, raise,

turn around your own side and nose down and circle on spot with 100% accuracy, and so on. Put that beside how it went in Ofp.

In BF2 you can do all those things once you've mastered it.

Remember - it's a simulation of real life, and with some things that simply are too hard or that can't be modeled / controlled (easy things become cumbersome to act out - pushing buttons - and hence unrealistic, weapon safety and what not) with todays standards one way is to atleast make a design that practically does what the real thing does - not HOW it is done. This is accepted with soldiers, but with aircraft there's always that thing about the actual rocket scientist SIMULATIONS mare hanging over it all which probably derails the design thinking, it becomes to strict and half half and you end up with something that shouldn't even be in the game. Why not go with something that works?

The thing with bf2 is that it's a flexible system that lets you do stuff with high accuracy. Is it's realistic? Probably not. But is the stiff ofp take on it any better? Worse if you ask me. If you've seen ace pilots flying little birds or just about any sleek transit or even more dedicated attack helis in real life - it's flexible, fast and you hawk down, nap the earth, raise,

turn around your own side and nose down and circle on spot with 100% accuracy, and so on. Put that beside how it went in Ofp.

In BF2 you can do all those things once you've mastered it.

In OFP you can do all those things once you've mastered it.

wink_o.gif