Sign in to follow this  
-Soviet-

Soviet tank squad doctrines

Hi,

I'm looking for infos about cold war Soviet tank squad tactics. smile_o.gif

Do you know reliable sources for that.

I found nothing good...  huh.gif

Thanks

Maybe offtopic but, who would just give out tactics to everyone, for example US? would it make good read for enemies? icon_rolleyes.gif

The Soviets are no longer in power. What "enemies" are you refering to? USSR is down... smile_o.gif If their tactics came out I don't think it will affect them that "much"!

I'm not sure they need 'tactics' per se.

It used to be to have 8 tanks for every one of Nato's. Which as tactics go is a pretty impressive one.

Tanks were used last in Chechen, where they lost 200 T80's vs infantry and have developed better armour and anti missile systems.

This is a nice site that details some tests ran against Soviet armour and runs down some of the technology.

http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/

The tank force was the mainstay of Soviet Army doctrine. Units like Specnaz were never the darlings of the generals. Only the Tanks.

The accounts of Saddams counter attack in the Gulf War of 1991, is an example of Soviet tank doctrine. Although his weapons systems were clearly outnumbered and outclassed, you can get an idea of the artillery patterns they practised with from reading it. Probably Tommy Franks wrote a report for the U.S. on it.

My advice, ask AKM. He seems to be in the know about Russians/Soviet military gear and setups, and has answered quite a few of my own questions concisely and accurately.

The Soviets are no longer in power. What "enemies" are you refering to? USSR is down... smile_o.gif If their tactics came out I don't think it will affect them that "much"!

I'm talking in general for example finding US tactics,  terrorists can just read them.... But russian military, good luck finding anything current :P

Exactly. The American tactics are right out in the open. Insurgency snipers use American sniper manuals like many other terrorist elements use american equipment and knowledge.

Ok...

Thanks everyone. huh.gif

I'll visit someone in russia next year, maybe i'll find something there... smile_o.gif

Meanwhile, I'm looking on the web.  confused_o.gif

Exactly. The American tactics are right out in the open. Insurgency snipers use American sniper manuals like many other terrorist elements use american equipment and knowledge.

reading and or watching too much news... you can only learn so much from a manual. it takes actually going through a us army school to actually be somewhat proficient at it.

Hi,

It is not a direct primary source for Soviet tank tactics, but some information can be gleaned by the view from the honourable opposition by browsing through some of the Global security collection of field manuals.

Titles of interest:

FM7-100. Opposing force doctrinal framework and strategy

FM100-60. Armor - and mechanised-based opposing force: organization guide

FM100-61. Armor - and mechanised-based opposing force: operational art

FM100-63. Infantry-based opposing force: organization guide

FM100-62 on opposing forces heavy forces tactics is unavailable on that site though.

Regards,

Sander

Redundancy and Depth.

Ensure there is always a greater ratio of your own tanks, by use of concealed movement, better recce and well rehearsed movement drills that minimise losses.

Ensure that if the enemy breaks through on any sector, your second line of defence is always in place.

Vague, but true.

Hit the gas and hope your death will be quick when you get slaughtered before you even see your enemy? yay.gif

hmm damn pretty basic stuff with the outnumber them 8 to 1 stuff but i guess it could work. smile_o.gif

Hit the gas and hope your death will be quick when you get slaughtered before you even see your enemy? yay.gif

No, that's just generally the ideology of a person in a communist country.

Hi,

You are funny!  biggrin_o.gif

Anyways, thanks for your help!  smile_o.gif

To Sander:

I already have these infos...  thumbs-up.gif

Hi,

Translated to English from an article in the Legerkoerier, the monthly periodical of the Dutch ground forces, 33rd edition, nr 10, October 1983.

"The Soviet armed forces: the tank company on the attack

One of the most important pieces of equipment of the ground forces in the Soviet-Union is the tank. Even today it is still the offensive arm par excellence. The Soviet-Union has large numbers of tanks, which can categorised in various types such as: T-55, T-62, T-64 and T-72. Tank units generally operate closely with mechanised infantry units. The strength of a tank company (the Soviets speak of a company instead of a squadron) is 10 tanks. However in the event a tank company belongs to the tank bataljon of a mechanised infantry regiment the strength is 13 tanks. The Russian tanks are compact, roughly finished and have an excellent main gun. The optics however are not yet as modern as those of Western tanks.

Organisation

A tank company consists of three platoons of each three tanks and a company staff, which has the commander's tank (The tank company of 13 tanks has four tanks in each platoon). The commander of the company is a senior lieutenant or a captain. He is aided by two officers in the rank of junior lieutenant or lieutenant. One of these is second in command regarding political matters, the other is second in command regarding technical matters. In addition the company has ofcourse a CSM (starshina roty), and administrator etc. The platoon commanders are usually junior officers, though this function can occcasionally be filled by a sergeant or sergant-major.

Armament and equipment

A tank company disposes of the following equipment:

10x medium tank

1x truck (ZIL)

12x automatic weapon AKM or AK74

33x pistol 9mm

- Every tank has a schnorkel kit, which enables wading through water obstacles up to a depth of five meters.

- The number of crewmen could be reduced in the newer tanks by placing an autoloader in the turret.

- All tanks can carry two drums with each 200 liters of fuel on the rear deck, which can be jettisoned just before combat is joined.

- Every tank can lay a smoke screen by injecting fuel into the hot exhaust. In addition newer tanks have been provided with smoke grenade launchers.

Tactics

On the lower levels with regard to the Soviets we ought to speak of combat drills rather than tactics. The actions that a tank company needs to take in case an attack is launched are in sequential order:

- actions in the assembly area (getting ready for combat)

- the tactical movement towards the area where the company must execute the attack

- the deployment into platoon columns at around a kilometer in front of the defending party

- breaching of any obstacles present

- attacking the forward edge of the defence

- breaching the defence

- continuation of the attack in the depth of the defence out to a depth of about two to five kilometers

The preparations in the assembly area and the subsequent movement generally cannot be observed from defensive positions. Any data on these originate from for example airial reconnaissance. The breaching of obstacles however can usually be observed directly, for obstacles are always placed under observation and covered by fire. In that manner it may be seen how mine breaching devices can be attached to tanks to clear any mines present. This usually concerns the KMT-4 or KMT-5, respectively a mine plow and a combined mine plow and - roller. Against other types of obstacles a dozerblade may be attached to the tank.

Deployment

Before these kinds of action begin, that is before any contact takes place, the reserve fuel tanks have been jettisoned. As soon as enough breaches have been made through the obstacles (often with the aid of infantry) the tank company will deploy. This will be done as late as possible, because it costs time to deploy for action. However as soon as the tank company deploys, we will encounter the following situation: three platoons of three tanks each will operate with some intervals left between them and will try to reach the forward edge of defence as quickly as possible while firing away. The distance between the attacking tanks of the platoons will be some 50-150 meters. The total width of an attacking tank company can vary from 500-750 meters. In case the opponents in the defence prove too formidable, the battalion commander can decide to use the reserve of his tank battalion in the sector of this company, by which the number of tanks in the attack can be expanded with up to 10 tanks (NB: this should be 13 in case of tank companies belonging to the armoured battalion of a mechanised infantry regiment, as noted by the author at the start of the article). Prior to the attack on the forward edge of the defence there will be a long preparatory bombardment, which may last up to 30 minutes or more. It is also possible to call on the support of attack helicopters. Because this requires additional preparations and observation of targets and because some time will pass before any actual helicopter support can be provided, it ought to be clear that this will not always be the case. A good camouflaged defence, in addition to good firing positions and firing discipline will make life very difficult for the Russian commander.

Chain of command and communications

The company commander has the use of an HF radio, with which he is in communication with the battalion and the other companies. For communications within the company and any mechanised infantry placed under his command he can use a VHF radio. Many signals are communicated with flags and hand signals, because only the commander may use the radio during combat. Prior to joining combat radio silence is maintained.

Weaknesses

Some weaknesses can be identified in the Soviet tank company and its manner of operating. The command system is so strictly structured, that when the commander is removed it will be very difficult to lead the attacking company correctly for command cannot be assumed by anyone else. There are serious limitations to the use of radio communications as well. Before the unit is operating in an organised manner again, they are likely to have lost valuable minutes. The schnorkel kit seems like a wonderful solution, but it comes with drawbacks. As soon as a tank is ready for schnorkeling, it is most vulnerable. The turret cannot move due to the sealings and the barrel is covered by a rubber cover. The main problem however may be resupply. Within the company there are hardly any or no spare supplies (fuel, ammunition etc) available and at battalion level only very limited ones. The longer a tank unit is fixed by fire the more vulnerable such a unit becomes, as resupply under combat conditions is very difficult to perform, especially if the required means (armoured supply vehicles) are lacking at lower organisation levels."

Regards,

Sander