Sign in to follow this  
Quenaelin

shooting while running?

Must be an Aussie thing, cause I loved blazing away while running too. Couldn't hit crap, naturally, but I thought it quite a good simulator of someone losing it. biggrin_o.gif

you can shoot while running in bf2.

Actually, you can't - at least while sprinting.

Guest Ti0n3r

You can run and shot at the same time in OFP ffs. You won't hit shit though, same goes for BF2. Big deal rofl.gif

You can run and shot at the same time in OFP ffs. You won't hit shit though, same goes for BF2. Big deal rofl.gif

my idea was also that one. smile_o.gif

Yeah, the otehr guy is trying to make a "clever" point but failed miserably.

I used to play Unreal Tournament and pulled off this 300m shot while running, hopefully it's possible to do the same in ArmA crazy_o.gifrofl.gif

Even if its a 99.99% chance of not hitting anything, I would still like the option of shooting while running anyway.

Well, I want the option to be able to throw sticks at people. You never know, it might hit 'em in the eye! crazy_o.gif

Seriously, it's a feature that'll never get used. Ever, ever, ever. It wasn't used in OFP and won't be used in ArmA. I remember one of the first things I taught my Project Flashpointers: If you run and gun you might as well turn your rifle around and blow your belly out 'cause it's about as effective.

I used to play Unreal Tournament and pulled off this 300m shot while running, hopefully it's possible to do the same in ArmA crazy_o.gifrofl.gif

Yea, I want a gravity gun also!

I have to agree fully with JobJenkins222, the fact that OFP allowed you to shoot yourself in the foot for being stupid enough to shoot while running was one of the aspects that made the OFP experience so immersive. In real life there is no "smart" chip in M16 rifles that detects if the user is running or not.

Off topic, I would like to be able to switch a rifle to "safety" mode.

Well, I want the option to be able to throw sticks at people. You never know, it might hit 'em in the eye!

Seriously, it's a feature that'll never get used. Ever, ever, ever. It wasn't used in OFP and won't be used in ArmA. I remember one of the first things I taught my Project Flashpointers: If you run and gun you might as well turn your rifle around and blow your belly out 'cause it's about as effective.

Well they didn`t say anything about fighting with sticks in ArmA, but you can sent them as many emails as you want, as soon as they will...however they`ve said something about assault rifles in ArmA, and in case you didn`t know, we had different kinds of firearms since ofp 1.0, now, plz do not say that this feature will never be used, because I will use It in some situations in mp (depends on the AI in sp), and some other ppl will use It too.

You may call me a CS noob if you want, but if you preffer to suppress the enemy with sticks, well that`s your choice...

Would be cool If the AI was smart enough to shoot at you while moving from one building to another (It`s better than lying in the middle of the road), but`s too late for suggestions and stuff...

Well, I want the option to be able to throw sticks at people. You never know, it might hit 'em in the eye!

Well they didn`t say anything about fighting with sticks in ArmA, but you can sent them as many emails as you want, as soon as they will...however they`ve said something about assault rifles in ArmA, and in case you didn`t know, we had different kinds of firearms since ofp 1.0, now, plz do not say that this feature will never be used, because I will use It in some situations in mp (depends on the AI in sp), and some other ppl will use It too.

You may call me a CS noob if you want, but if you preffer to suppress the enemy with sticks, well that`s your choice...

Would be cool If the AI was smart enough to shoot at you while moving from one building to another (It`s better than lying in the middle of the road), but`s too late for suggestions and stuff...

Sure it's possible doing so in real-life, but you don't do it since theres no point in doing it.

You cannot hit anything while running. It is extremely hard hitting someything while you are walking slowly, but simply non-possible while running.

Not many people shoot themself in the foot, especially well-trained soldiers (Ran being the exception that proof the rule :-) ).

Belive me, when I want to shoot something while runing and strafing I play avp2...It`s not about "does such shooting is accurate or not", It`s about "does it have a purpose or not, and should It be implemented or not"

Does It really matters wheter those bullets are aimed at you or not? When you see a guy who`s shooting in your direction you hide, that`s simple.

I`ll survive without this in ArmA and don`t want to argue about It cause It IS silly...

I guess more people among your own team would get killed if they really introduced running and shooting. It´s a nono.

It would require special shooting position and gun would have to be held in a different way than for normal running with the gun close to body. Of course there can be situations where this approach (insert the extremest desparate measures you could think off here) could be done IRL but the risks of soldiers toppling and being confused (especially in such situations) would in the end be a dangerous coctail.

If there is a situation when you need to run and shoot it´s most likely the last seconds in your life and therefore it would make pray and spray just an extended death-anim smile_o.gif

I'm in favor of the ability to shoot while sprinting--but not because I think it's a good idea. Rather, I like the idea that someone trying such a stunt will learn the hard way that it is a bad idea. It's kind of like winning a Darwin award. Instead of being told that something is stupid, you try it yourself and find out exactly why it's stupid.

If the game gets hard-coded to prevent bad ideas, the next thing you know friendly fire will not be possible because real soldiers know it's a bad idea to shoot their own. Identifying friendlies would simply become a matter of seeing whether or not a target is shootable. Then burst fire might be disabled when aiming beyond a certain range, because every decent soldier knows a three-round (or more) burst is useless at 400 yards. Then hilltops end up as impassible terrain because everybody knows it's a bad idea to silhouette oneself against the sky. Then standing up from the prone position might be disabled when under fire because nobody in their right mind would stand up when getting raked out in the open by machinegun fire.

Sure most of the scenarios presented are exaggerations, but in a game where shooting occurs much of the time and players are not prohibited from performing a number of suicidal actions, why baby-proof the player from one particular action? Arbitrarily preventing people from acting stupid isn't realistic. Let them learn the hard way--that's how many of the lessons in life are learned.

True but this also opens a free door to the ability to somehow change something to have accuracy while running (somebody will do it),not to mention running and shooting forward would make it more like your typical fps,even if you miss or not. I'm moreso in favor of the running with gun down because of its look...lets see...it would look very akward to see you running with your rifle up to your eye level nonstop instead of holding it diagnolly,once more,it makes like it like your typical fps and even moreso makes it look very strange.

I have military training myself and I posted this topic becouse I really don't bother wasting my money on this game if running and shooting isn't possible anymore like in OFP and I am not some Quake player who is demanding more arcade game style. I like it realistic also therefore I posted this topic when I saw those animations, I am really wondering why they had to change them. Firing while running is easy with assault rifle, becouse these weapons are basically designed for that, only problem is that you run out of ammo sooner than you notice, especially when using full auto fire, accuracy is another question. I hope there are some military experts among BI who know what they are doing or atleast beta testers are.

I think in OFP there allready is suppressive fire and fear being eliminated. But you have to play without respawn in multiplayer and without saving games in singleplayer. If there will be more effects like shaking and vision blur simulating fear when you get shot near you, how would you know who is more fearless and could shoot back at you even under fire? Definetly no for these kind of fear effects.

Two comments on the topic -

1) Shooting while sprinting in OFP was..... a bad idea, to put it simply. I believe that out of 5 years of playing the game, I _maybe_ got two kills while sprinting. It is however a great supression tactic in certain situations, such as when running across a street in an urban environment. Either way, it won't affect me much whether it is in or not, which comes to my second point.....

2) The animation system is mod-able just like every aspect of the game. If you can't get it the first time around, just wait for someone like sanctuary to pimp-ify it.

*Shrug* Another case of nit-picking on the 1985 forums... *gasp!*

- dRB confused_o.gif

I have to agree with the people who are saying that shooting on the move (if possible) should be possible in ArmA. Being very likely to hit your target is demonstratably irrelevant. Bullets flying in the general direction of the enemy do serve a purpose even if their chance on hitting is remote.

And so what if someone mods the game in such-and-such way? That's the point of mods, to make the game how that person wants it. That is why OFP lasted as long as it did, that it could be an arcade-shooter to the arcade crowd, a realism sim to the realism snobs, a tanksim to the tank jockeys, a RTS game to the RTS gamers. If want to take the position that the game should be inflexible in mod-potential because you can't stand the idea of someone playing a ArmA/modded-ArmA different than what you would play... good luck on getting support.

As for counter arguement to this idea there is the concept of what sprinting is and if shooting while sprinting is possible. Real human beings have a finite capacity to do both shooting and moving. But in a video game like ArmA, the devs cannot emulate this complete spectrum of tradeoff between movement and shooting.

A key for each: 0% movement / 100% shooting, 5% movement / 95% shooting, ... all the way to 95% movement / 5% shooting, and finally 100% movement / 0% shooting. 10 keys for movement, rediculous right? So BIS must pick only a few 2-4 "speeds" that the player can move at, their associated aiming/shooting penalties, and call it a day.

No ArmA will have (from the standing position): stationary, slow advance, advance, sprint, right? Ah ah! Now it's getting interesting. Let's take a look at the sprint speed.

Sprint || Is sprinting in ArmA 100% putting-every-ounce-of-concentration-and-energy into movment with 0% left over for shooting? Or perhaps sprinting in ArmA is 95% movement and 5% aiming? The answer to this question that which you must answer if you want to know if ArmA should (theoretically, in-a-perfect-world) have such a feature. This conclusion is based on the presumption that you do not want your actions limited by arbitrary "real soldiers wouldn't do this" conditions.

So, perhaps you believe my/other's arguement, have made your decisions on the definition of "sprint" and shooting/sprinting should be in the game...

But wait you say! Running and shooting with most of your concentration and energy directed toward movement is dangerous! Yes it is! And as such accidents should happen! Make a 0.1% chance of shooting yourself in the foot with every round fired in this haphazard manner. Make the bullets have a degree of unpredictability that you might accidentally shoot the guy next to you.

Thank you for reading my post.

would be fun if you could run and move backward in a retreat kind of order though, would make for some intresting fights and cool looking retreats smile_o.gif

About running and gunning i think it might come mods to use that want to stretch about with the realism. so i say they could code it in somewhere for modders to find out wink_o.gif

When you sprint in real life, you don't have your gun pointed towards the enmy. Sprinting meaning full speed doesn't it?

When we were supposed to sprint in military service here in Denmark, you had your weapon infront of your chest pointing downwards past your left leg - meaning that if you accidently shoot, you would simply hit the ground 5 meters infront and 5 meters to your side. Hopefully the guy left of you werent standing there :-).

When advancing you don't sprint, you run/wlk quickly with your gun at your soldier ready to make unaimed shooting. But this isn't sprinting.

Sprinting or dashing or running fast I don't want to get stucked in to definitions, you obviously cannot sprint at your full speed when carrying weapon and trying to point it straight and I think it is irrelevant how much faster you are able to run if your weapon isn't pointing straight. All I want to say that I like as it was implemented in OFP, I like that you got two running speeds with different weapon accuracy, it was about 90-95% running and 10-5% shooting when running and running faster that was quite like it should be and animations were pretty realistic also. If it is necessary to add option for dashing or sprinting fast without being able to fire, and use some different key combination for that, it is allright for me. I really want that you can just press one button to be able to shoot when running, not somekind of horrible key combination. I guess we have to just wait for demo to know how these things are implemented in ArmA, I hope it is as smooth as it was in OFP.

All I want to say that I like as it was implemented in OFP, I like that you got two running speeds with different weapon accuracy

If it is necessary to add option for dashing or sprinting fast without being able to fire, and use some different key combination for that, it is allright for me.

i agree smile_o.gif

What a pointless topic, why would the game disable shooting while running?

You could fire while running in OFP and I'm sure ArmA wont disable it. Shooting while running is, in certain cases, useful because it can suppress the enemy. Surely the people on this forum know what suppressing fire is? It doesn't need to be accurate and as I said you may need it in certain situations.

Perhaps pointless but when I saw these animations I really got worried about this. When you are advancing by running you aren't suppose to point your weapon to your side and waving it like in these running animations, it looks wrong and definetly more hazardous to your team mates, weapon must be pointing straight. And then there is this walking backward animation which looks stupid also, I am wondering who is keeping weapon towards ground when withdrawing from enemies front of you.

Perhaps pointless but when I saw these animations I really got worried about this. When you are advancing by running you aren't suppose to point your weapon to your side and waving it like in these running animations, it looks wrong and definetly more hazardous to your team mates, weapon must be pointing straight. And then there is this walking backward animation which looks stupid also, I am wondering who is keeping weapon towards ground when backing up from enemies front of you.

Yea I think you have a good point, can't provide suppressive fire with your gun pointed at the ground or your teammates. Although the gun still points forward when you walk. Hopefully some of these animations will be changed so the gun points forward.