Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Ironsight ?

Well, that`s a matter of relation between the FOV an your screen, and maybe a distance between your eyes and your screen...

One of my ideas was to use the mouse or IR tracker (moving your head forward) to zoom in the sights or a scope, while zooming everything else gets blurred and so on, with IR tracker you would move your head to the screen (magnifying the iron sight/scope to the level It would be magnifyied In real life) and even close one of your eyes just like in real life...

edit:

Btw, why do you think It`s so skewed? It`s like that when you close your eye in rl, you get different fov, partially blurred and disorted...One thing is for sure though...we should be able to manipulate the view during the game, and to set our own, custom ones e.g. for cqb.

have you ever fired a weapon, it looks nothing like that.

yes, thats not the question here.

i know its hard to simulate that kinda view for a screen as was said before.

If you open the left eye you will be able to have more eye field on the left.

The aim on the center as we use you have in OFP its kinda fake, doesnt give the feeling we are shooting with one eye open.

hope BIS finds a better way to simulate it smile_o.gif

Christ...does anyone read my suggestions? tounge2.gif ^^^

Adjusting the distance fluently with the mouse wheel or clicking the 3rd button and moving mouse forward/backward...OR using the IR tracker for that is imho a great idea... wink_o.gif

--------------

Isn`t It all about the sights placement? It should be moved a bit to the right (or left) to give you at least illusion of looking through the real ones. The right (or left) side of the screen should be blurred a bit, the rest is a matter of FOV and a camera setting.

my fast and ugly pic

i tried to aim with my left eye closed it looks like something like this:

v03lw2.jpg

Well that`s up to BIS now, they have the software, and some funky hardware to make It right...

@Zender: It depends on where you have your cheek and how far It is from the rear sight...but with the ability to manipulate that distance, we both could be satisfied wink_o.gif.

Not to mention that It would allow right/left-handed selection...

Quite a few games have that really far-view iron sight that's often centered.

It's centred because it simulates closing one eye when taking aimed shots.

Can you guys tell me what you think about this?

http://www.ofpmdb.de/phpkit/content/images/Arma200920064.jpg

The ironsight looks wrong to me, the ironsights are too far away from the eye and it looks like he would aim holding the rifle far from him instead of putting it against his shoulder to aim.

No one aims like that in rl, i just hope that isnt final...

If it is im strongly against it and i hope that BIS will fix it.

pistols.gif

Oh ARMA is getting 2d iron sights... very nice. My fingers are itching to start playing OPF(ARMA) again online. I just find it both weird and disgusting that publishers have the tested and tried so far up their rear end that they can't recognize brilliance when they see it.

At least BIS decided to release online too. Thanks.

And about the iron sights being far away... It seems accurate to me if the guy is holding the rifle tight against his shoulder. But although I have held and shot many rifles I have never held an AK.

One thing about the BIS iron sight though.,. the rear of the rifle would be blurred when you close your left eye and focus on aiming.

How would the mouse wheel thingy work...

There are 2 keys for iron sights, the first one, e.g. "V" brings you to the iron sight view with the max fov (customisable):

recent ArmA screen

the second one gives you the most zoomed iron sight view(customisable):

old ofp

You`re able to use the mousewheel to change the zoom level +/-. Beside that, there`s button that quickly descends the weapon to safe possition (no matter what anim it will be) to give you the biggest fov, you need to press one of the "iron sight view" keys to get back to the previous view (It`s quite fast anim, giving you maximum time to aim and shoot) or  use the mousewheel to slowly and fluently focus the view on the sights (again you chose the distance between your eye and the rear sight), some nice dx9 blurrs and ability to move your head freely (what couldn`t be done before because of the 2d) and that`s It, you have the ability to use sights the way you preffer

Hi, i think that the AKSU looks too small for the hand, the front hand grip is very small and the AK looks as too lowered. But is not a bad sight at all i think. Let's C ya

The ak sight is okay only the hand looks too big imho.

That's because of the clipping issue.. When they have fixed it for the AK it will look much better.

Have any of you fired a real AK before? The sight picture is perfect! I don't knwo about you, but in order to get that close-up sight picture some of you want, you'd have to have your eye right over the dust cover. That's not exactly safe, or comfy, especially when the bolt carrier slams rearward, yikes. crazy_o.gif You can make a case for some of the veiw to be obscurred, as you typically only shoot with your right eye open (or whatever hand you are using) althought you may use both eyes open, the second picture becomes distracting.

Some of you may be basing your expectations of a close sight picture on an experiance shooting an AR15 based weapon, in which the rear sight is at the very back of the reciever and a cheekweld recommending the nose be touching the charging handle is quite common. However, the AK is a much different animal, the sight is farther away, and recoil tends to make you wnat to keep your eye away from the reciever.

This brings up my only problem with AA's sights. The Aimpointed M4. The sight picture has a too small a field of veiw. The Aimpoint, as well as any other red dot sight, is meant to be used with both eyes open, exactly as I use mine. When I use mine, there is a second image that exists, but it interferes less, considering it is a single red dot, and having the second image won't confuse you like when you use iron sights. (Even those with aisoft should know what I'm talking about) The "ghost" image should be noticeable, although not too distracting, but the field of veiw definately needs widened up a great bit.

As a side note, am I the only one who seriously loves when dev's go out of their way to make a games guns realistic? inlove.gif

Thanks BI! notworthy.gif

If you carry a rifle, you run with it just hanging in your hands, and when you aim, you put the sight near your eyes, thus making it look alot like OFP.

So, for now, OFP is more life-like then ArmA when it comes to sights...

Atleast IMHO

JW

smile_o.gif

OK now I want to want to see ArmA's M16 ironsight now to see if it's just the AK that it looks like you're putting the buttplate on your sternum or if they are all like that.

As a side note, am I the only one who seriously loves when dev's go out of their way to make a games guns realistic? inlove.gif

exactly. That's OFP & nw AMRA's competitive difference. Arcade shooters are a dime a dozen.

and as for this top pic by Llauma, it's almost perfect. ironsightge3.jpg

just tightening the perspective would help to get the aim spot on. the centred gun 'feels' like someone is holding it out at arms length and not resting it against their chest or clavicle.

exactly. That's OFP & nw AMRA's competitive difference. Arcade shooters are a dime a dozen.

and as for this top pic by Llauma, it's almost perfect. [ig]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8601/ironsightge3.jpg[/img]

just tightening the perspective would help to get the aim spot on. the centred gun 'feels' like someone is holding it out at arms length and not resting it against their chest or clavicle.

I think the same effect may be achieved by taking the gun , keeping the same sight picture, just move it to the right, and perhaps obscure some of the upper left hand veiw.

The distance of the sights from your eyes is perfect, and the gun is going to have to be lined up, otherwise the sights wouldn't be aligned.

If I had to correct every little flaw, I say move the exact same image about .5 inch to the right, obscure/shade out the far left and upper left most portions of the screen, and blur the dust cover, and then, after making the hands tighter, it would be 100% perfect. thumbs-up.gif

There's really nothing wrong with the position of the gun, but it looks wrong because everything in the picture is in focus -- if you were to severely blur the dustcover, move the hands, and blur the peripheral vision, it would be close enough to real for me.

Death006 please remove image tags when quoting.

This is how I think the sights should work. In ArmA, the weapon is too low, almost as if the gun is resting at elbow height when in 1st person. It is also too far out. It looks like every other FPS which I don’t think is accurate.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_33.jpg

Yet, when viewing yourself or someone else, the gun is resting on the shoulder.

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/abt_29.jpg

It’s as if you have a 12†neck.

The top picture is with the gun at shoulder position for getting ready to fire/tactical walk (I would say even less of an angle and slightly higher. I had to work with the picture that Llauma posted (BTW, thank you. It helped greatly to get my point across)). I think it looks more accurate like this. Also, with the gun this high and straight it gives you a better sense of where your gun is pointed when you go into iron sight mode. With this more accurately displayed, you really don’t need to use crosshairs, because you now have a more accurate sense of where your gun is actually pointed.

ironsightview3abb1.jpg

The bottom picture is iron sight mode with the left eye closed and blurring all around the actual sight. This way you are really only focused on one target at a time and everything else is blurred.

ironsightview3bdz3.jpg

Here is the ANIMATION (473kb) biggrin_o.gif

I REALLY hope something like this is in ArmA, but it might be too close to release to consider this. If not implemented, can something like this be made by the modding community? Is it at all possible?

That animation is quite nice, its alittle "agressive" tough.

The part of the eye is too excessive, could be more blur and if you add a hand in the gun it might be almost there  smile_o.gif

Two days ago I was thinking about a simmilar system, so... I hope this can be modded into ArmA! smile_o.gif though the fact the irons arent in the center position will make it hard.

Actually, you should blur everything except the front sight. The eye focus on the sight, not the target, which makes hitting long-range targets in real life that hard with open sights.

IMO there is no need for the nose-shadow to be visible. You have the restriction, but won't notice it.

I got used to fire with both eyes open, even scoped rifles.

@rg7621: nice job m8!, try to blurr the left side of the screen leaving It transparent and darken It fluently form left to right (leaving It transparent), the effect should be even better than your pic. It`s about suggesting/cheating your brain, not making a static photo, but a picture that your brain might consider as a result of having one eye closed.

One more thing...

Notice how big is the gun onthis picture and where Is your cheek ...on your picture the weapon seems to be quite far from the eye.

edit: that`s basically what bravo6 have posted before me wink_o.gif