Sign in to follow this  
Jonovt

STARFORCE

Voice your opinion people. Let BI know what your thoughts are on the use of StarForce on ArmA.

I would logically assume (Blackdog, shuttup, lemme post this! tounge2.gif) that the press version of ArmA only has starforce to stop them from spreading them around. This would be logical, as to stop a major leak. Although I don't have anything to back it up except logic.

Logic!

even thos this thread is about to get a better locking device than starforce , i have to say i wouldnt buy anyhting with star force ask any ubi software player if they would smile_o.gif.

why i wouldnt buy it

I want to get rid of the coming EA monopole. tounge2.gif

Support the small publishers!

jesus christ these forums are becoming more retarded everyday...

Quote[/b] ]jesus christ these forums are becoming more retarded everyday...

blue_handi.gif

I have a pass.

Wow, these anti starforce threads are everywhere. On the net.

Look, I Pay for my games!

I would like to thank all gamers who pay for their games.

Sorry if you feel cheated by paying higher prices so that extra code can be inserted into every game in the vain attempt to stop illegal copying. If everyone paid, games could be sold for less since many who steal would buy instead.

For those who do copy I hope you see where your ill gotten gains has carried us all, Starforce(maybe). I won't judge you nor call you names, I just hope that some day your life will reflect a more moral wisdom.

And Jesus Christ would say leave your computer and follow me.

Have allready preordered Armed Assault via Amazon.de, and Starforce on my system.

There are too many games out there, that using Starforce.

btw. I don`t have problems with Starforce, i`m one of the lucky ones with 99.9% campatible hardware. whistle.gif

Just to clear the air. This poll wasn't to bash StarForce (ok, maybe a little) but it was so that BI can look at the poll resaults and see that StarForce isn't the best choice for copy protection. I don't illegaly copy games, never have, never will. Your right developers deserve not to get cheated by piraters. However its just not smart to use a copy protecrtion that will mess up 90% of the users computers, not to mention has knowen Windows Vista compatbility issues. All of which will probably lower sales.

EDIT: I will in an attempt to be more fair re-fraise one poll question to say 'may use' instead of 'uses' because I do not know for sure that the final product will be StarForce protected.

If I were going to pirate ArmA, I wouldn't really care either way being owner of Nvidia4 motherboard with SATA hard drive because StarForce is impotent on any non-IDE (PATA) hardware. They don't have any documentation on Nvidia's proprietary hardware, so they can't check whether game is being run from real CD or emulated disk image.

I'm very likely going to buy retail version of ArmA, so I'm still bit worried about compatibility, for reasons mentioned above. Though if there would be some reasonable online distribution like Steam, I wouldn't mind buying the game that route through. Yes, Steam is ok, I've got HL2 (got it free from ATI offer way back) and I haven't had any trouble with it so far.

BIS should keep an eye on Vista compatibility (what a word icon_rolleyes.gif ). I`m still running Win2K Prof., but will switch to Vista.

"Hey I'm a greedy publisher and I sell games for 65€ with a brand new and untested copy protection... why does everyone download pirated copies of my games instead of buying them? sad_o.gif"

now that's a question those big publishers haven't asked themselves yet...

If it has starforce, I'm not buying it.

If its vista compatible only, I won't buy it.

Simple as that.

defo I won't touch any starforce infected software....

I purchased Colin Mcrae 2005 a few years ago and I couldnt even install it beacuse of starforce crap. Shop wouldn't even refund me becuase I opened the game.

never again.

oops...I started a new thread.

If its vista compatible only, I won't buy it.

Don't worry about this, Armed Assault is said to run on the window XP and 2000.

Making ArmA a Vista-only game would be suicidal considering this OS is not even released yet wink_o.gif

I just hope there is no intrusive copy protections, either it begins by a Sta... or by a Sec... that would be the only reason for me to not buy the game.

Needing a cd is a real pain. Slow loading times is a pain.

I dare say ofp has stuck on many peoples harddrives for all these years in great turn because it doesn't need a cd (patched).

Imagine how popular counterstrike would be if it needed a cd...

If BIS decides to patch starforce off after a month or two or whichever, then fine, I can live with it at least. It's usually this period where a powerful protection makes a difference in sales anyway. But when the novelty wears off, so must the nuisances, or it will see the end of day rather quickly I ímagine.

Didn't placebo say that he will lock down all StarForce-related threads? whistle.gif

Besides, security is, as I recall, the publishers responsibility.

Didn't placebo say that he will lock down all StarForce-related threads? whistle.gif

Besides, security is, as I recall, the publishers responsibility.

yes he did.

yup

Quote[/b] ]Besides, security is, as I recall, the publishers responsibility.

This board is not for publishers, it's for consumers, and starforce is very much a consumer issue. You can't claim it's not arma related.

I made a research about starforce, because I didn´t know too much about this copy protection system.

Well... I´ve read about some dark points that really worry me; but I don´t know if starforce will be finally used in ArmA or how it could affect to dvd readers or any other hardware... time will tell. confused_o.gif

He can lock this thread if he feels thats the best way to go about this issue. However I made it so the developers  understand what the gamers issues are and how much of a community loss/revenue loss they will suffer if ArmA uses StarForce. You can't ingonre the facts.

wamingo's right the consumer has a voice, and its only fair that they should be able to express their opinions.

What i meant is, that Armed Assault or the used copy protection must work on Vista too.

I want to get rid of the coming EA monopole.  tounge2.gif

Support the small publishers!

Woo-hoo! So when they become big, we can get rid of them too and go on to the next small publisher!