Sign in to follow this  
coderdfox

Target identifying

Any word on fixing the AI's target identifying. What I mean by this is say you set up a check point in OFP. IF you have car filled with enemy guys the AI will pick the car up as an enemy at a far distance. Or if you flying as a Jet/Heli the AI will pick it up.

Now I would think the only way the AI to identifying right away is if the enemy is if its a tank, APC, heli or Jet.

Any thought?

I agree.

Civilian vehicles should conceal their occupants identity until they are seen at a close range, or reported by a sentry.

Even if maybe for programing reasons, change the identifying to a few meters

AFAIK they do conceal the units within a bit. IIRC the guards will report the car as 'unknown car ,x meters' instead of 'enemy car'. Try to lower the skill level of the guards so they have more trouble detecting stuff smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh, wait, i see what you mean know, i thought you were talking about if a west unit stole an east car. wink_o.gif

Anyway, what you are talking about is editable in the config and already possible in OFP smile_o.gif

I agree.

We need more realisitic identifying.

I hope it is possible to change the conceal in "friendly" vehicles...I mean: if a west unit uses a east vehicle..the east wil identify it, and shoot at it, and know it is an enemy on to long distancnes, like a guard in RL sees lots of his side's vehicles...and then when another usual vehicle comes up, he begin to fire at him? on over 300-500 meters? without have the possibility to identify the driver, because the vehicle is to far away? in RL you cant, but in OFP, the enemy knows you're an enemy to far away: like a soldier know that a usual URAL or UAZ, from 500 meters is occupied by an enemy! it is to far away to edentify uniforms! even with binoculars!

so we need to make them not fire at theyr own vehicles...it wil make very intersting "undercover" missions smile_o.gif

As a person you have to identify something as to:

1. What it is: Person, car, plane? Maybe it's just an engine sound but you can't work out what it is even though you can't see it you can hear it.

2. If it friendly, suspected friendly, neutral/inconsequential, suspected enemy, confirmed enemy, or completely unknown.

3. Is it a threat to you or your allies? Immediate?

A UAZ barreling down the road should be a suspected enemy and seen how well it drives (calmly, full tilt, expected traffic)... but all this is much to ask of AI.

I think it would be a great addition to the game. I remember a CTF back on Everon. My squad-leader at the time, Jones, made this one.

There was a civilian truck going from both sides just cycling. If you were lucky, u could jump in the back of this truck, and eject safely at the enemy camp.

Very cool, indeed. Would love to see something like this in game with AI.

so we need to make them not fire at theyr own vehicles...it wil make very intersting "undercover" missions smile_o.gif

how about the possibility of changing the uniform with the enemy or civil...lol...then u can enter an enemy base without probs and plant a bomb! rofl.gif

but normally u shoot at everything at war which comes from the direction of the enemy side.

u never know if the AI has reported a stolen truck and the others r just waiting for u...hehe

AI always cheats! confused_o.gif

I think the problem with OFP is that the vehicle IS the person driving it. It would probably require a fundamental engine change.

--Ben

In OFP: make yourself an East unit, and place an empty BAS addon KLR250 motorcycle beside you. Place a full West infantry patrol nearby. Make it night time. Now get on the KLR and drive all over the enemy killing them. It doesn't matter if they have NVG, or you do this in a well lit town, they will not detect you as enemy until you get off the KLR.

And it's pretty stupid in that case, IMO smile_o.gif

I'd say that once you seen the guy inside or if he shoot a friend of you, then it's an enemy !

This information can be transmitted to all the group, but if a friendly soldier doesn't know about the enemy, he acts as he's friend... Am I clear enough tounge2.gif

This AI thinking could be logged the same way the "information date" in editor is saved in AI units memory...

Fiew, it's late goodnight.gif

Introscene in Kelly´s Heroes comes to mind smile_o.gif and he was in a Willy´s Jeep.

This is a bit off topic but in that scene the jeep is a later model than was used at the time - it has power windscreen wipers, while the original WWII model didn't.

Quote[/b] ]I agree.

We need more realisitic identifying.

I hope it is possible to change the conceal in "friendly" vehicles...I mean: if a west unit uses a east vehicle..the east wil identify it, and shoot at it, and know it is an enemy on to long distancnes, like a guard in RL sees lots of his side's vehicles...and then when another usual vehicle comes up, he begin to fire at him? on over 300-500 meters? without have the possibility to identify the driver, because the vehicle is to far away? in RL you cant, but in OFP, the enemy knows you're an enemy to far away: like a soldier know that a usual URAL or UAZ, from 500 meters is occupied by an enemy! it is to far away to edentify uniforms! even with binoculars!

Hear, hear!