Sign in to follow this  
westy159

Americas Army, A Threat Or Rival To Armed Assault?

Not too sure the Army devs really use real weapons effects and behavior.

It's not meant as a simulator but as a game. So I think their data caters for this.

I agree though the recoils, and general feeling of weapons in general, is way better in AA.

I've not tested, but heard that Red Orchestra is even better in that regard.

Medic system can be simulated in OFP, perhaps not to the same extend than AA (didn't see the latest builds), but close enough. You've located damage, and all the scripting available for it. Just, no one ever did it.

As for complete combined arms feeling, AA is wayyyyy behind OFP. AA is a good CQB infantry game, better than OFP. It lacks in other areas, mainly scale, and combined arms integration.

not even talking about edition and modding, ofc

Quote[/b] ]Don't knock it till you've tried it. Americas Army is tons more realistic then OFP, that's for sure. The game is being supervised by a Colonel.

Sounds all pretty nice .. I've played it myself for years and quite enjoyed it most of the time.

But comparing AA to Armed Assault is unreasonable.

400kmË›, 40 vehicles, hundreds of soldiers fighting simultanously .. it's not necessarily better than AA, it's just different in its content.

Kinda like comparing a top notch racing game to a hybrid like GTA .. sure, the racing game beats the crap out of it, when it comes to driving cars - but that doesn't account for the variety and sheer size of something like GTA.

In QCB AA is alot better (a friend of mine is really into AA), but in combined arms ofp is best.

The weapon handling in AA is good, but very slow.... There is no stress in the animations, I dont like that. You can reload quicker in real life.

But I dont think you really can compare the two games, they are too different.

I agree that the 2 are different now. But vehicles will be added soon to AA. Also a new COOP mode called overwatch will be added where you fight a larger enemy AI force as a US team.

About vehicles: I'd rather have 12 accurately portaid vehicles then 40 tanks that all slide through the countryside without any physics/gears, only different in appearance. Watch the video showing the striker, the soldiers don't instantly pop out of it, they walk out of the vehicle, that alone will make that stryker superior. There is probably a lot of work in the two US vehicles that will be usable in AA, plus the OPFOR will have it's share of tanks and BTRs.

I can't compare ArmA to AA cause i haven't played ArmA, but if ArmA is like OFP then AA will surpass it in a year from now.

I rather have a complete integrated force, even with less accurate simulation, to each one his own wink_o.gif

And I rather have complete freedom of the gamepay I want to play. Thing that AA is completely lacking. It's all A&D.

none of you, nor myself know... we' havent played the new version of AA, or armed assault. they are both the best in their respected fields, whether it be combined arms, or intense cqb. no offense to BI, but i doubt armed assault is going to be that much different than ofp, orvbs...c'mon, multiple gun positions are nice, etc, but be realistic, ofp is far from being realistic. is unfair to compare two totally different games, plus, how can BI compete with a game thats FREE!

AA will never match OFP/ArmA due to engine limitations. With AA you have a single combat zone, that is it, you always have to be on your toes and wary that anyone could just pop out from the next building. With OFP/ArmA there is generally calmness before the storm, building up to a more alluring atmosphere due to the large scale and general openness, you could wonder for hours literally without coming into contact with anyone. OFP/ArmA is simply a superior infantry simulator because it does more than just combat. In my opinion.

I guess the author of this thread never played OFP.

Americas Army - infantry simulator.

Armed Assault - infantry, armored vehicles, choppers/planes/ and commander simulator.

Being a huge fan of AA myself, I certainly would not say that infantry simulation beats the hell out of operation flashpoint in realism as aforementioned. They are actually pretty much the same and very similar in mechanics, I believe actually flashpoint is a tad more realistic.

w

Based on my experiences with stupid paintball games, operation flashpoint is far more realistic in terms of open field movement and such. when under fire, you don't strafe around and shoot as in AA but rather usually get down into some cover. Also, crouch walking is uncomfortable and annoying as hell, as is running with your weapon up ( the same as in AA) and they usually don't have much use because the enemy is 300 feet away.

So IMO opflash simulates the movement of a you, a person, much more realistically than AA. Also keep in mind opflash simulates one of the KEY elements in warfare that America's Army doesn't-fatigue.

However, for CQB, America's army takes the cake. I've never done anything in paintball or anything in close quarters, but I would assume just by logic that america's army has it fairly accurate in terms of how you engage the enemy and such. For example, in the field environments of opflash, whoever can get the best cover and can move up to flank the enemy usually wins. In america's army, its often who has the best aim and who has the best reflexes to shoot first in close quarters.

So one is not more realistic than the other...they are just different simulations of different aspects of infantry warfare as it currently stands.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming vehicles and larger maps for AA, and I believe this could compete with Armed Assault, but I think armed assault will still hold the cake because in field warfare it has everything AA has and more.

Quote[/b] ]Don't knock it till you've tried it. Americas Army is tons more realistic then OFP, that's for sure. The game is being supervised by a Colonel.

Weapons have been made under supervision of the the people who actually use them. So the weapon sounds, recoil, reloading, etc. is way ahead of OFP and from what i've seen of ArmA, AA beats it too.

And if you lag then try to find a good server, i have nothing fancy and the game runs good on servers that are near to me.

BTW, Medics are also far more realistic then in OFP (insta heal? oh ok...). If you get wounded you'll bleed to death and medics can only stop the bleeding.

Grenades are also a lot more useable. Smoke and flashbangs are useful and normal nades have a long prepare animation then a quick throw anitmation so you can actually use them (try using hand grenades in OFP, i can't find no use for them - in open terrain hand grenades are useless and in OFP you can't toss it normally)

If you work as a team on a big map you'll see the game beats current OFP handsdown. Try the map SF Extraction and you'll see just how hard urban combat can be.

Ofcourse AA is more current and has more money into it (although the USArmy has a strict budget too) so it's only natural that it's better. It's better when it comes to weapons and combat of that i'm sure. Sure in OFP you need to do long walks and all that stuff, but when it comes to combat it's dull and simple.

And don't play on Official Army Servers... those aren't usable, try to find a good team and then you'll see the depth of AA (ramboing in a public server isn't what the game is all about).

I agree the physics of grenades and such is way better than in ofp, in additon to the medic system.

However, this brings me to one thing-mods. The AA medic system has been modded quite nicely into flashpint (try WGL5)...america's army lacks mod which takes huge points away from it as well.

Also, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was also supervised by a colonel I believe. And that game is incredibly realistic we all know icon_rolleyes.gif

Bottom line: AA=superior in cqb

Flashpoint/Arma=superior in field warfare

I can't compare ArmA to AA cause i haven't played ArmA, but if ArmA is like OFP then AA will surpass it in a year from now.

You wanna bet?

There is nothing in AA, you cant create anything with it, you cant navigate thru the terrain, you cant ambush a convoy and make a complex scenario, the only thing you do in AA is CS/Arena gameplay by the Army rules (wich suck btw). You cant simulate a battlefield because theres just not enough field, both teams usually start 200/300 meters apart. Most "matches" last betwean 2 and 6 minuts...

You can have CQB in AA but crawling thru air conditioning vents and strafe running are far from realistic.

Unreal is so crap that you cant even have a significant number of trees in a small map without having very poor framerates (the devs aknowledged this themselves). The Army has most likely cut fundings on the game, in 2 years from now Americas Army wont even scratch OFP let alone surpass Armed Assault.

Americas Army is a "Oh noes! My health bar turned red.." kind of game, its a pretty game and its free but its an empty game.

I think the US Army should stick with war only biggrin_o.gif .

operation flashpoint is far more realistic in terms of open field movement and such. when under fire, you don't strafe around and shoot as in AA

true, altough the latest patch did take away(well almost anyway)bunnyhopping, strafing is a realism killer of major sort.

I did try for a while to play without crosshair and suddenly the game did a change to the positive, although playing on public servers was a hell it works, firefights turned into firefights and

not running and gunning which you can do if you have a crosshair that makes it all easier.

The never ending argument; "its ONLY a game always seem to come up when you point up the things that should be removed or changed before you can call it a simulator of any sort) and it all turned out that the devs are going for 50% vs 50% when it comes to realism vs "fun".

Try playing it without hud and crosshair and it gets better, really hard on public servers though and many times there is another thing; camping! Who uses that word in the military; camping!? biggrin_o.gif Like you said, its paintball games and not realistic combat simulators. I still play it though, there are some few good servers under good admins where you get some combat feeling. But they are hard to find.

It's not exactly free - it's being paid by american tax dollars, and who knows how that affect everyone on the planet - maybe an iraqi can tell you more... but that's politics.

Yes, it's free. Though I have no problem paying 50 dollars for pure genious. smile_o.gif

You're right about one thing though; you can't compare these two games. Fast paced close quarter combat vs Hugely 'Scalable' Combat remains entirely a question of taste.

But there's much more to ofp than sheer scale, that sets these games apart, and in my opinion downright burries AA. The open content that ofp has and the ease of content creation simply tramples just about any other game ever created into the mud.

When was the last game that didn't force a mission designer to make a new map first? elderscrolls, flightsims, yah, that's about it. Certainly not AA, Halflife or battlefield whatever.

Nay, ofp has been built around some concepts that other games simply can't match with its stock content.

AA will never match OFP/ArmA due to engine limitations. With AA you have a single combat zone, that is it, you always have to be on your toes and wary that anyone could just pop out from the next building. With OFP/ArmA there is generally calmness before the storm, building up to a more alluring atmosphere due to the large scale and general openness, you could wonder for hours literally without coming into contact with anyone. OFP/ArmA is simply a superior infantry simulator because it does more than just combat. In my opinion.

yeah seriously, do you think i could create a whole battlefield on AA? Last night on OFP I even populated the whole of Nogova with enimies (Zombies), random vehicles, random weapons, and with minimal lag my friend and i had a 4 hour survival themed game, AA cant even touch OFP let alone ArmA.

If AA comes up with an Apache with all the bells and whistles - FCR, HELLFIRE, rocket ripple, retreating blade stall, torque, cyclic effect, etc. I might check it out.

Otherwise, it's not my kind of thing. FP doesn't get that stuff very well either, but at least it's got some of it.

AA will never be comparable to OFP even with larger maps and vehicles. There are just too many differences between the two games in terms of the controls & gameplay. Anyone that plays the wide open maps that are currently available for AA will notice that it feels and is played very differently from OFP.

If AA comes up with an Apache with all the bells and whistles - FCR, HELLFIRE, rocket ripple, retreating blade stall, torque, cyclic effect, etc. I might check it out.

Otherwise, it's not my kind of thing. FP doesn't get that stuff very well either, but at least it's got some of it.

Judging the great development capacity of the AA devs (4 maps a year, some turn out bad) they would spend 3/4 years creating the most realistic Apache helicopter in a game ever, and then you would fly it around in circles in a 500x500M map with 300M visibility rofl.gif . They promissed Hmmwv's, strikers and coop years ago...

Here is the great medical system of Americas Army, please try not to faint...:

You press a key to scream "Medic!" and if the medic cares about honour points he runs towards you and presses a key to patch you up.

Incredible? icon_rolleyes.gif , sure if you are injured the medic will only stop the bleeding and sure you will run like a snail and your weapon wont shoot straight but atleast in flashpoint you dont have an arcadish HUD with a CEM and a health bar to realise that you've been shot...

Now try the OFP's Marine Assault pack medical system that simulates blood loss, black outs and patching much more efectively wink_o.gif .

Closed at the request of topic starter.