Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Chances are its mostly likely not the motherboard

Chances are that it is in fact a dead power supply

Before you determine that a few things to try...

Try booting with some peripherals unplugged.

Like any hard drives or such

I've seen faulty video cards that don't allow your pc to boot.

See if it gets any farther with the power lead removed from the video card, try another video card too if you have one

You don't have another power supply you can set beside it and plug in and try?

Did that.

Quote[/b] ]I tried unplugging everything else except the CPU (+fan), RAM and motherboard

No, I don't have a spare PSU. All I have is my labtop at this moment. confused_o.gif

I´m going to open the case and will check cables and Jumper on HD. Additionally I will rewire the drive to the second IDE port and see if that helps.

It should, as that is likely to be what's causing the problem. If you have two drives hooked up to the same IDE cable, only one can be accessed at a time.

At Colossus:

Does your PC have a beep speaker? If so, does it make any noises before dying?

It did, but that was only until I discovered that I forgot to add the power to the graphics card biggrin_o.gif

After that it didn't beep anymore, it just died out just like the first times.

Seems to be pretty common problem with that board...

I had the same exact problem with my old system using Asus M2N SLI Deluxe board.

I was able to boot it properly by pushing the power button and then the reset button immediately after. Had to do that a few times and then the system started to boot normally. Never found out why it did that.

Also if the power button connector is placed the wrong way around it may cause that problem.

I have also dealed with boards where the board comes with the CMOS jumper set to the 'clear' position which also causes that same problem. In one case the manual was mis-printed because the position it claimed to be the 'clear' position was actually not it..

I've a question and though this isn't a C++ Forum I hope someone can help me.

The task is to create a programm, which asks for a name and turns this name around via function ( Name -- > emaN)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#include <iostream>

#include <string>

using namespace std;

string turn(string name)

{

int length = name.size();

length--;

while(length>(-1))

{

cout << name.substr(length,1);

length--;

}

cout << endl;

return name;

}

int main()

{

cout << "Insert name:" << endl;

string name;

getline(cin,name);

string turned = turn(name);

cout << turned << endl;

getchar();

}

This one workes quite well, because it turns the name around and spits it out with cout, but still during the fuction, which wasn't the task (in which it said that the function should return the name back to the main function). And after all I wouldn't need a return at all.

I tried to create an array and put the single letters in, but then I have to set the length of the array, which must be defined by a direct number. If I do so via array[length] Visual Express tells me I can't do that, because the length isn't constant. And on the other hand I don't know how to put the letters from the array back into a string and I can't return an array back into a string.

Just some feedback on my issue.

I had to rearrange the drives in my tower to be able to connect optical drives with the correspondant IDE hardrives. I checked the position of cables first and also had a look at the jumpers on the drives and they all seemed to be in place properly. What I found was that there was some dust collecting between the jumper pins of the harddrive that was not properly working. As I found no other problems I guess that the dust in combination with humidity caused some kind of short circuit and therefore the drive sometimes was recognized and sometimes not.

I repositioned the drives, cleaned the jumper section, rewired them and since then have no problems anymore.

Thanks for your input and help ! thumbs-up.gif

I've a question and though this isn't a C++ Forum I hope someone can help me.

The task is to create a programm, which asks for a name and turns this name around via function ( Name -- > emaN)

#include <iostream>

#include <string>

using namespace std;

string turn(string name)

{

int length = name.size();

length--;

while(length>(-1))

{

cout << name.substr(length,1);

length--;

}

cout << endl;

return name;

}

int main()

{

cout << "Insert name:" << endl;

string name;

getline(cin,name);

string turned = turn(name);

cout << turned << endl;

getchar();

}

[/code]

This one workes quite well, because it turns the name around and spits it out with cout, but still during the fuction, which wasn't the task (in which it said that the function should return the name back to the main function). And after all I wouldn't need a return at all.

I tried to create an array and put the single letters in, but then I have to set the length of the array, which must be defined by a direct number. If I do so via array[length] Visual Express tells me I can't do that, because the length isn't constant. And on the other hand I don't know how to put the letters from the array back into a string and I can't return an array back into a string.

You should start to check the standard library functions they will save you lots of time.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#include <iostream>

#include <string>

#include <algorithm>

using namespace std;

void revname(string &);

void main()

{

string name;

cout << "Enter your name: ";

getline(cin,name);

revname(name);

cout << name << endl;

}

void revname(string &str)

{

std::reverse(str.begin(),str.end());

}

Ok going to finally buy a new custom built computer soon and need some opinion on whether or not this setup looks good:

CPU Intel P4 Processor 3.4 GHz LGA 775 FSB800 2MB 650

CPU Cooling Thermaltake V1 Copper CPU Cooler CL-P0401

Motherboard EVGA 780i SLI 132-CK-NF78-A1 Motherboard

Memory 4096 MB DDR II 667 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston) (2GB x 2)

Video Card 2 BFG nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB OC2

Sound Cards Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series - Black

Hard Drive 1 Seagate 750GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA

Optical Drive 1 LG 20X DVD RW +- Dual Layer

Optical Drive 2 LG 20X DVD RW +- Dual Layer

Network Adapter Onboard Network Adapter

Power Supply 1000 Watt Thermaltake Tough Power Modular PS W0132RU

Total cost is roughly 1,900 $.

SLi, 4GB of RAM, an overpriced motherboard, and....

A Pentium 4?!

I think a much more balanced system may be, a quad core 2.4GHz, a single 8800GT, 2GB of RAM (4GB is meant to have problems with ArmA anyway) and a P35 motherboard. I'd also get one of the cheaper X-Fi cards (the Gamer model I think its called) which does most of the important stuff without the superflous crap.

I'm not such a fan of core duo /core 2 duo and quad core systems as they are just too frigging expensive to have customized.

The other choice was a P5 series motherboard from asus. I would have loved a striker II or a maximus extreme though. More feedback , comments etc.. is greatly appreciated.

SLi, 4GB of RAM, an overpriced motherboard, and....

A Pentium 4?!

I think a much more balanced system may be, a quad core 2.4GHz, a single 8800GT, 2GB of RAM (4GB is meant to have problems with ArmA anyway) and a P35 motherboard. I'd also get one of the cheaper X-Fi cards (the Gamer model I think its called) which does most of the important stuff without the superflous crap.

Don't forget the nvidia 750i motherboards. They're half the price of a 780i, support over-clocking, and fully support one PCI-E 2.0 gfx card.

What is you're opinion in general about eVGA mobo's ? and if I were to switch to an ASUS motherboard which motherboard would be best to switch to ?

I'm not such a fan of core duo /core 2 duo and quad core systems as they are just too frigging expensive to have customized.

The other choice was a P5 series motherboard from asus. I would have loved a striker II or a maximus extreme though. More feedback , comments etc.. is greatly appreciated.

Get an Asus board with some sort of P35 chipset. What do you mean that dual cores are too expensive to get customized? I didnt even think anyone would sell Pentium 4s any more...

P35 chipsets don't support PCI-express 2.0..

Nvidia 750i (that come at the price of P35 mobo's) support PCI-express 2.0 ...

Future graphics cards support PCI-express 2.0 ..

hey guys.

my current computer spec is

Pentium D 3.5Ghz

2048mb Ram

Radeon HD 3870 512mb GPU

and a 19inch 1440x900 monitor

in order to play HD movies and downloaded content ie trailers of apple movie trialers site do i need to upgrade my monitor to one that supports 1920 x 1080 output?

I downlaoded a TV episode in HD to see waht the 1uality was like and it just froze the video player. I was considering getting a blu-ray drive too so i can begin to upgrade my DVD collection to bluray but as the Downlaoded video stalled i dnt want to spend the money on this as of yet.

any help is much apreciated, thanks.

I was able to watch a hi def trailer from the apple site on a 18" (1280x1024) screen, so I dont think its a problem with your monitor. However, I'd say if you wanted to enjoy the movies properly, you'd want to hook it up to a HD TV. Are you sure the problem was not with your player software? And why would you upgrade your DVDs to BluRay? DVDs work in BluRay drives the last time I checked.

Nope. Its even debatable whether there's any point in buying an 8800GTX when the 8800GT is nearly as good, and Nvidia are coming out with a new high end card (9800 series)

Cancel the entire 9 series, IMHO they're just a redux; nothing groundbreaking, just higher clocks of that non-groundbreaking G92 engine. If you've got an 8 series card, definitely wait and skip the 9 series, at least until NVidia releases something worthy of the "next-gen" label. My GTX is perfect right now. smile_o.gif

EDIT - And to the GTX vs. Ultra question - no. For example, my GTX is clocked at Ultra speeds. Thus, buying the Ultra = ripjob.

I was just saying that if you want to blow your money on a ridiculously overpriced card, get a 9800, the 8800Ultra just sucks.

Thanks Guys Ill stick with a 8800 GTX and it will save me some pocket cash too. I heard the 9 series are crap in comparison to 8 series. Will I notice any visible difference between 8800 gtx or ultra ?

The Ultra is just an 8800GTX overclocked, usually by around say ~60/~200MHz for engine and memory respectively, so there isn't much difference, maybe a couple more FPS.

And, in my case, where my GTX is at Ultra speed, well, then there's no discernable difference excepting heat generation, which I have pretty well under control. smile_o.gif I'd say the GTX is a wise choice at this point in time.

- And I must warn you off a P4, those things are slow and HOT.

Thanks Cameron good advice I'll definitely be going with the GTX and possibly over clocking it in the near future. The reason I chose was a P4 was if I am not satisifed with a P4 I know that my motherboard can support a quad core extreme if i ever need to upgrade it. Also from going to gtx instead of ultra ill be saving over 200 dollars which is quite good.

The GTX im getting is made by BFG and its OC2.

The best buy you can do right now is 8800GT. Maybe two of them, in SLI biggrin_o.gif