Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Right, now that we're all done being fanboyish and philosophical...

Snafu:

I read a benchmark of various cards in various games in a PC mag, one of the games being ArmA. In 1600x1200 resolution on normal settings and 3KM viewdistance, the FPS ranged from 8-21, which is pretty shit (30FPS is considered to be a smooth rate). Now, maybe you dont have a 1680x1050 monitor, but the fact is that those benchmarks were probably conducted on a recent PC, so your old single core P4 and AGP slot motherboard may be anywhere up to 50% slower. So to answer original question completely, I wouldnt bother with that card.

My average FPS in Operation Flashpoint with my upgraded AGP card (BGF 7600GS) is about 72FPS. Will OFP benefit from a Quad Core and a GTX 280/4870 X2 ?

My average FPS in Operation Flashpoint with my upgraded AGP card (BGF 7600GS) is about 72FPS.

Depends on the settings. Snafu wanted high settings, so I recommended accordingly.

Quote[/b] ]Will OFP benefit from a ... GTX 280

I think this must be the second or third thread that you have repeatedly derailed with talk of this "Wonder-card". Can you at least please refrain from constantly referring to it as the greatest thing since sliced bread til after it has actually been released. Cause until then, nobody is going to know how it works or how good it is.

Well if you try and accuse me of fanboyism that wont work there because I also mentioned the HD 4870 X2(R700). That fps was on desert island with a few zombies but now my minimum fps and average is very low with tons of zombies and farmland island (around 15) and mostly low settings (terrain normal and view distance 1k) but highest detail(11.23).

Well if you try and accuse me of fanboyism that wont work there because I also mentioned the HD 4870 X2(R700).

I didnt. I just pointed out the stupidity of telling everyone to get a card that isn't available yet, and as such, nobody knows how good or bad it will be. Same with the new Intel CPUs you talk about.

Thanks for the advice ch_123. Given what you said I'll wait a while longer and save up more cash and get a new PC.

Thanks for the advice ch_123. Given what you said I'll wait a while longer and save up more cash and get a new PC.

No problems. Glad to help. smile_o.gif

Hmm GTX 280 isn't so hot from most of the "real" reviews that came out. I'm gonna wait for them to compare it against the HD 4870 X2 before making my decision.

Hmm GTX 280 isn't so hot from most of the "real" reviews that came out.

Somehow Im not surprised... Hopefully you learned your lesson  tounge2.gif That said, the GTX 260 looks promising, even if it is €400 or thereabouts.

From what I've read the GT200 make excellent overclockers. I have my eyes on the eVGA GTX 280 FTW but its quite expensive and I'd rather wait for mid-august for 4870 X2. I wonder if there will be a GT200 GX2 or possibly GDDR4/GDDR5 versions?

a GT200 GX2

Not likely until they get the production up and running. When they first release a chip, the output tends to be low until they get used to making it.

Quote[/b] ]GDDR4/GDDR5 versions..

In reality, the type of RAM makes very little difference unless the RAM cant keep up with the GPU. Which it obviously can if they're making it with GDDR3.

Ati followed a similar approach and used the GDDR3 in the 3870 X2 but now their graphics cards will have GDDR5.

quick question boys and girls.

Im after getting a WiFi card for my desktop, does any WiFi card eg a netgear connect to a eg. Belkin router? or do they have to be the same brands?

Thanks.

Hi,

You shouldn't have any problems, as all brands still work to the same standard (802.11 to give its name). However, there are different sub-types of this standard, called B, G and N (in order of how good they are). To get the best results, ensure your wireless card is of at least of the same standard as your router. However, most Wi-Fi cards and routers use the G standard atm, so you should not have any problems unless youre using very old equipment.

cool thanks for the quick reply.

another question si that my desktop is rather loud (had a motherboard failure and had to get it replaced and the new cooling fan is... well in a word. shit).

my processor is a 775 socket so as long as i buy a cooler that fits 775 it should fit the motherboard right?

Also would any of this thermal compound stuff be needed to go in between?

thanks again.

Hello again,

Yes, a Socket 775 fan will fit any socket 775 motherboard in most cases. I say "most cases" because there are certain motherboards that have oversized heatsinks for the northbridge and transistors which block certain fans. This isn't a problem in most cases however, I thought I'd point it out just in case.

If you can get it, the "Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7" is a very good fan recommended by a lot of websites and magazines.

In regards the second part of your question - yes, the CPU will need some thermal paste. Luckily, most new fans will come with some. But if it doesn't, most computer shops will stock a tube of it for a few euros/pounds/dollars.

It is important that you clean any old thermal paste from the last fan off the CPU. The paste needs to be cleaned off with a special cleaner, usually a stuff called Isopropyl Alcohol is recommneded. This can usually be bought from a pharmacist.

Socket 775 is standard or for most of the people. Im using a 478 (stupid old piece of crap). There are lots of good thermal paste out there , i recommend you read some reviews.

There are lots of good thermal paste out there , i recommend you read some reviews.

Ive read a comparison of different thermal pastes. The general conclusion - it doesn't really make an awful lot of difference. I mean, at the end of the day, its just some conducting agent to help the heat pass from one medium to another. Using special paste isnt going to make your computer go a billion gigahertz faster or whatever.

Well if thermal paste properly applied and a nice cooling unit (like the ocz vendetta 2) can make a whole difference between a pre-applied TIM and stock heatsink. I've read arctic silver 5 is quite popular.

cool thanks for the quick reply.

another question si that my desktop is rather loud (had a motherboard failure and had to get it replaced and the new cooling fan is... well in a word. shit).

my processor is a 775 socket so as long as i buy a cooler that fits 775 it should fit the motherboard right?

Also would any of this thermal compound stuff be needed to go in between?

thanks again.

Funny I haven't been on this forum in months and my computer just recently got destroyed in a shipping disaster involving my 775 pushpin Coolermaster heatsink/fan unfastening and wreaking holy havok on the guts of my system- *note silver won't help there*

Needless to say, beware of pushpin fasteners that feel like they want to break your motherboard during installation.

can make a whole difference between a pre-applied TIM and stock heatsink.

The difference comes from the fan, surprisingly enough wink_o.gif. I use Arctic Silver on my CPU, mainly because I needed new stuff and that was the only stuff the shop had. I didn't notice any real difference between it and the standard white gunk that came with my Zalman fan.

Quote[/b] ]Needless to say, beware of pushpin fasteners that feel like they want to break your motherboard during installation.

Yeah, the fan attachment system for the Socket 775 has been the bane of many people's existences. Hopefully, they will design something more workable for the new Intel socket that is coming out in a few months.

I just bought a Thermaltake TR2-M21 RX Heatsink to replace my previous Coolermaster ( see previous disaster post) which states it's LGA775 for Intel Processor 115W?! -not sure what that last part means as my stupidness seems to get profounderer. Bad point being the contact point at the bottom of the sink is round while my chip is square and yes, my computer wont start. sad_o.gif

which states it's LGA775 for Intel Processor 115W?! -not sure what that last part means as my stupidness seems to get profounderer.

It's to do with how hot of a CPU the fan can handle. It doesn't make much sense unless you're familiar with the heat outputs of CPU, but 115W should be sufficient unless youre overclocking Quad Cores or old Pentium Ds.

Quote[/b] ]Bad point being the contact point at the bottom of the sink is round while my chip is square

That's normal. On the chip, the large metal thing is actually a heatsink of sorts, not the CPU itself. The actual CPU is quite small and only occupies a small area at the centre of the package. Because the heat only spreads out so much, having a circular conductor that only covers about 70-80% of the chip is normal.

Quote[/b] ]and yes, my computer wont start. sad_o.gif

After you installed the new fan? Does it just refuse to turn on or does the screen go blank or what?

That's normal. On the chip, the large metal thing is actually a heatsink of sorts, not the CPU itself. The actual CPU is quite small and only occupies a small area at the centre of the package. Because the heat only spreads out so much, having a circular conductor that only covers about 70-80% of the chip is normal.
Quote[/b] ]and yes, my computer wont start.  sad_o.gif

After you installed the new fan? Does it just refuse to turn on or does the screen go blank or what?

Yep, thats what geek squad pretty much told me as well and what I was afraid of. Looks like either the Mobo took damage from the carousing heatsink or I fried my chip when first trying to start up my PC. Basically power comes on for a split second spinning both fans like 1-2 rotations then complete shutdown. No screen at all, no mobo beeps and generally Commando's like to beep. Mobo LED readout stalls at "CPU Init". Good news is I insured the shipping with USPS, bad news is I built the thing and proving 's it's worth.

Its probably the motherboard. Most motherboards these days will automatically turn off before the CPU can get too hot. I'd just bite the bullet and try replacing the board.