Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

The 8400 GS is a low end card, you won`t be happy with that card.

If you have 100€ at hand, look out for an GeForce 9600 GT with 512MB. wink_o.gif

they didnt reinstall xp, as id asked them, they just had to change some files. but i dont know which ones.

so it IS possible. i just dont know how.

Be careful what people in computer repair stores tell you smile_o.gif I think it would be fair to say that even if it were possible, it wouldn't work nicely. It also would require reactivation ( When things like new disk drives and graphics cards make it cry for reactivation, think what a new motherboard will do). One way or another, its just preferable to reinstall Windows.

So you WANT to be re-installing Windows... how nice!  biggrin_o.gif

But me? I'd rather not do that if by any means possible. It's not among my favourite things to do.

It's a waste of time and in some situations also a waste of money. Thus, it has to be avoided if possible.

But me? I'd rather not do that if by any means possible. It's not among my favorite things to do.

It's a waste of time and in some situations also a waste of money. Thus, it has to be avoided if possible.

It takes 20mins and makes your computer go faster and crash less. Surprisingly enough, its not my favorite hobby either, but I am quite happy to do it when things don't work. smile_o.gif

I don't quite get how its a waste of money, because it doesn't cost you anything to put your computer's copy of Windows into the drive and go through the process.

I wasn't saying that Windows should be reinstalled for its amusement value, but rather, when you install a new motherboard to make your PC go faster, it may be a good idea to slap on a new installation of Windows to ensure everything runs smoothly.

In addition to my own experience of working with more computers than I care to remember, my suggestion is vindicated by your own story about how Windows didn't work when you changed motherboards.

Some people may get lucky and not have to reinstall Windows, some wont be lucky. Perhaps I should have said "Make sure you are ready to reinstall Windows in case it doesn't work", regardless, what I suggested works for everyone and probably works better, even if it requires a little bit more work smile_o.gif

@Raj; I second that 9600GT, or if you want to spend more money; a 8800GTS 512MB (not the older 320MB or 640MB which are completely different despite having a similar name)

Quote[/b] ]I second that 9600GT, or if you want to spend more money; a 8800GTS 512MB (not the older 320MB or 640MB which are completely different despite having a similar name)

Quote[/b] ]

The 8400 GS is a low end card, you won`t be happy with that card.

If you have 100€ at hand, look out for an GeForce 9600 GT with 512MB.

i did see the performance of 7600 GT and it is able to play assasin's creed perferctly without a glitch....!!!

hey but wat about a 8600 GT card compared to the 9600 GT apart from price...?? is it good for modern gamming???

The 9600 GT is a few percent slower than the current high end cards, but cost only ~ 1/3 of their price.

17.001 points in 3DMARK 05 are a good result for that price tag.

Edit:

The 8600 GT reaches only ~ 8.600 points with the same test. wink_o.gif

hey but wat about a 8600 GT card compared to the 9600 GT apart from price...?? is it good for modern gamming???

Nope. It really isn't. Crank out the extra for a 9600GT, its well worth it.

But me? I'd rather not do that if by any means possible. It's not among my favorite things to do.

It takes 20mins and makes your computer go faster and crash less. Surprisingly enough, its not my favorite hobby either, but I am quite happy to do it when things don't work. smile_o.gif

I don't quite get how its a waste of money, because it doesn't cost you anything to put your computer's copy of Windows into the drive and go through the process.

I wasn't saying that Windows should be reinstalled for its amusement value, but rather, when you install a new motherboard to make your PC go faster, it may be a good idea to slap on a new installation of Windows to ensure everything runs smoothly.

In addition to my own experience of working with more computers than I care to remember, my suggestion is vindicated by your own story about how Windows didn't work when you changed motherboards.

Some people may get lucky and not have to reinstall Windows, some wont be lucky. Perhaps I should have said "Make sure you are ready to reinstall Windows in case it doesn't work", regardless, what I suggested works for everyone and probably works better, even if it requires a little bit more work smile_o.gif

@Raj; I second that 9600GT, or if you want to spend more money; a 8800GTS 512MB (not the older 320MB or 640MB which are completely different despite having a similar name)

It costs money if you are intended to do serious work and not just hobby with your computer.

Disk images are used in companies to fix that problem I know.

The 20 min. you are talking about is not at all realistic for most people and their computers I think. My computer takes, if my memory doesn't fail me now, something like 2-3 hours to install WinXP. Then that isn't enough, there is a lot of work to be done before the system can actually be useful after that.

I'll take an analogy from repairing cars, because that's something suitable here: your car's engine is not running smooth. Then your friend suggests that you need to change the distributor, spark plugs and spark plug cables to fix it. Then you go do it. And then your car's engine is running smoothly. Then someone points out to you that only one of your spark plugs was broken, nothing else was broken. Then you insist that it was better to change everything that was suggested, "just because". Did you enjoy spending all that money and time into fixing something that wasn't broken? This applies to computers as well, don't fix it if it isn't broken.

The 20 min. you are talking about is not at all realistic for most people and their computers I think. My computer takes, if my memory doesn't fail me now, something like 2-3 hours to install WinXP. Then that isn't enough, there is a lot of work to be done before the system can actually be useful after that.

I realize now that my figure was somewhat misleading for most people considering that I have all my Data backed up anyway, and can go back to normal relatively quickly after reinstallation. I think its more accurate to say that when changing a motherboard, you really should back up your Data and make sure that you are ready to reinstall Windows if you need to, as there is a good chance you will need to.

Quote[/b] ]It costs money if you are intended to do serious work and not just hobby with your computer.

I still don't get you here. I don't install Windows XP for a hobby, but I do it when it needs doing. How does it cost money? Unless youre thinking of getting someone to do it for you, but I'd say that the average user could do the job themselves if they read up on it.

I can vouch for reinstalling XP. It takes me on average 20 minutes, and have done it many times throughout the years. I try to do it at least once every three months to keep Windows running smoothly, as after constant use a PC no matter how well you configure it will not be as quick as a fresh install of XP.

And as for the analogy, I think you will find a few people who enjoy changing car engines, just as you will find people enjoy reinstalling XP as it will lead to better performance. It's not exactly a hard task either so I don't see the issue with those who want to do it.

To reinstall an OS is easy and quick, but all those programs and gadgets that have to be reinstalled take days, before everything is up.

Good that use Win2K Prof. as my main OS, for gaming and anything else. It was installed by me over two years ago, and still works without problems. smile_o.gif

The 20 min...

I still don't get you here. I don't install Windows XP for a hobby, but I do it when it needs doing. How does it cost money? Unless youre thinking of getting someone to do it for you, but I'd say that the average user could do the job themselves if they read up on it.

Have you ever heard that someone might be using a computer at work? smile_o.gif Does it not cost money when that computer is not in use when it should be in use? I think it does cost money in those situations.

Even the "disk image" way takes quite a lot of time away from a working day. Easily ruins a day if the computer was critical for someone's work. That means wasted money. The more highly educated person is in question, the more money is likely to be wasted if the tools are out of use even for part of a working day. I've worked in an office which did about 99 % of the work using computers and it didn't really need a big problem with some software or hardware when pretty much the whole day was ruined. That means that a lot of money gets wasted quickly.

I can vouch for reinstalling XP. It takes me on average 20 minutes, and have done it many times throughout the years. I try to do it at least once every three months to keep Windows running smoothly, as after constant use a PC no matter how well you configure it will not be as quick as a fresh install of XP.

And as for the analogy, I think you will find a few people who enjoy  changing car engines, just as you will find people enjoy reinstalling XP as it will lead to better performance. It's not exactly a hard task either so I don't see the issue with those who want to do it.

I understand if someone gets some fun out of doing computer maintenance work even when it is not necessary to do it. I've done it too and enjoyed it some time. The point here is that even if it's no big deal, or is even fun for some people, a lot of other people find it to be just extra work which should be avoided if by any means possible. Companies which use computers in their work to generate most of their income, it is especially important that this kind of 'hobbyists enthusiastically tuning their computers' attitude is wiped away as well as possible.

Of course, at home, we do what we want with our time. The point is, it was suggested here that a re-installation should be done, but in my opinion the people who are asking about it should know that re-installation of the operating system is not automatically the right option to choose, not even at home. I saw it suggested that way and felt the need to file a differing opinion.

"The Windows Installer Service could not be assesed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

i am getting this error on one of my computer while i am trying to install porgarms that PC

dunno where when wrong

i am using WIN XP SP2

"The Windows Installer Service could not be assesed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

i am getting this error on one of my computer while i am trying to install porgarms that PC

dunno where when wrong

i am using WIN XP SP2

Try upgrading to SP3, I think that contains the latest version of the Windows Installer software. Just go to Windows Update and it will offer to install SP3.

Well, I bought this shiny new compal fl90 notebook a month ago, and now the lcd panel is broken (lower right corner of it). The thing is, I unfortunately wasn't present when it got wasted, so I need a lil help with that.

My little bro (who is a geek btw, so he knows how to handle computer hardware) was watching a movie with his friends on my rig pluged to a tv. I gave them the notebook, pluged it in, and went doing stuff on the pc. After an hour, my bro comes to me and says the lcd is f*cked up. (It was closed all the time while they'were watching the movie, and when he opened it up again there was a crack in the lower right corner of the lcd, with the liquid apparently not where it was designed to be...)

I examined that, and realised there's no sign of a scratch on the screen's surface (you know, the first layer, which isn't the lcd's matrix right?) and it's just wasted on the inside. Apart from the wasted part the screen works perfectly fine.

Now, my brother claims, and I have no reason not to believe him, that there was absolutely nothing on the notebook while he was closing it, and ofcourse nothing there while he opened it up again, while the salesman say's it's my fault, and I'll have to pay for the new lcd.

There were 9 ppl there with my bro, wathing that movie, everybody confirms my bro's version.

I've no idea...there was a powerfull subwoofer there, but I've played with this laptop pluged to that tv many times before, longer than just an hour, and nothing happened.

Has anybody had similar problem with any laptop?

It's coming up for two years since I upgraded by steam powered AGP machine from:

Radeon 9200 128MB

256MB RAM

Intel P4 2.66GHz

To

Nvidia 7600GS 512MB

1GB RAM

Processor still same as above

I was going to purchase a new PC this but could not manage *cough* PS3 and GTAIV *cough* so instead I am going to do another upgrade with the money I have left.

Now I am going to upgrade to 2GB RAM and a new GPU.

Can any of you give me some recommendations for a new GPU for an AGP machine that will run ArmA smoothly at around normal to high settings?

I was actually looking at

this.

The 3850 is an alright card, but I think you would be much better off saving up for a bigger upgrade. That Pentium 4 is going to be a bottle-neck on performance at any rate. A new card will make it run faster, but probably not fast enough to justify the money you throw at it.

Go for the 3850 HIS AGP. Its the best AGP card out there now. Pentium 4's are such a bottleneck but hey at least HT will be used in Bloomfield/Nehalem and just if you're wondering no I did not build my new comp yet im not even close to my budget yet meanwhile I might upgrade vid card to 3850 AGP , G15 , G9 etc...

Pentium 4's are such a bottleneck but hey at least HT will be used in Bloomfield/Nehalem

So? That doesn't mean that they are good. I remember having a 2.8GHz P4 that was a serious bottleneck for an old 6800GT, imagine what it will do to a 3850. And just because the 3850 is the best AGP card around doesnt mean that it is a good investment  wink_o.gif

Bottleneck , yea right. The Nehalem Bloomfield will have 4 cores but 8 threads and from comparisons of it against a Q9450 the Bloomfield comes out on top with a major difference in performance. And the 3850 (HIS) AGP is the best AGP card available.

Bottleneck , yea right. The Nehalem Bloomfield will have 4 cores but 8 threads and from comparisons of it against a Q9450 the Bloomfield comes out on top with a major difference in performance.

We're talking about a 5 year old Pentium 4, not a chip that has yet to be released to the public. I'm not sure I quite follow your logic. In addition - Im pretty sure there was never a 2.66GHz P4 that supported hyper threading.

Quote[/b] ]And the 3850 (HIS) AGP is the best AGP card available.

Try reading my post again a bit more carefully, paying particular attention to the bit that says;

Quote[/b] ]And just because the 3850 is the AGP card around doesnt mean that it is a good investment

I dont know about you, but when Im about to throw away 200-300 on a piece of kit, I want to make sure that it represents a good upgrade, and will last me a good long time.

When was there a time when spending less gets you more ? That time is long gone. Everything is expensive and will always be expensive , look at the Striker II extreme , DDR 3, GTX 280 , 4870 X2 etc..... Anyway Nehalem will be a revolution and AMD is a failship 65nm is what they are stuck at and will continue to be stuck at.

When was there a time when spending less gets you more ? That time is long gone. Everything is expensive and will always be expensive , look at the Striker II extreme , DDR 3, GTX 280 , 4870 X2 etc.....

I'm still not getting you here. The amount of money you spend is immaterial - what matters is what you get out of it. Sure you can buy a €200 card that makes your games go slightly faster, then it goes out of date, then the rest of your AGP system dies and you're now stuck with a slow card that you cant use.

Quote[/b] ]Anyway Nehalem will be a revolution and AMD is a failship 65nm is what they are stuck at and will continue to be stuck at.

This is the PC Discussion Thead, not the Intel Fanboy society. Unless you have some sort of exclusive insider knowledge to share with us all smile_o.gif

I'm probably one of a very few who uses AGP but I have quite a good card a 7600GS (BFG). I still don't like its performance thats why I will go in the future with a 4870 X2 or GTX 280 on my new system.

Anyone can use their money like they want as long as it is legal what they do.

Me personally, I don't waste money on newest computer hardware. Why? Because it is irrational! You can do it but it doesn't make much sense from an economical point of view. It is a very bad investment.

So, go on and pre-order what you want and be happy while doing it smile_o.gif I will be happy for you. In the end it doesn't matter how the money gets used, we will die anyways.

Thanks for the Support Baddo. It's true though the last part that you said , our greatest accomplishments will destroy us. Some people spend money on cars , others on wine and others on comps etc...