Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Set the Command Rate option to 1T now. I can´t measure the performance gain right now as I don´t have a conclusive Benchmark running but it seems to be a tad faster. It runs stable without hickups.

Thx for the tip !

I would like to create company size battle missions in ofp about 120 to 200 soldiers per side without the stutter effects. What over clock setting should I have for bus and memory to eliminate stutter fps? My factory built NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb is set at 575 bus and 900 memory. For those of you who have this card what are your over clock settings using riva tuner?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 356MB used, 5628MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTX

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0191&SUBSYS_C8313842&REV_A2

Display Memory: 768.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6344 (English)

Im looking for a new soundcard (i currently have a 15€ crappy soundcard). I read some reviews about the X-Fi's but i still dont know which one i should buy. I need it for gaming(Mainly ArmA, so i should definately be able to use it with that), listening to music and watching some films. Any tips? smile_o.gif

Set the Command Rate option to 1T now. I can´t measure the performance gain right now as I don´t have a conclusive Benchmark running but it seems to be a tad faster. It runs stable without hickups.

Thx for the tip !

Pretty cool man. I wish my Buffalo Firestix ran at 1T...a little extra oomph hehe

If you're interested in gaining an accurate picture of exactly the performance gain you are(might be) getting you could use this for ideas

Geil One TCCD 1T vs 2T Results

Some fella thought it might be useful from this thread

Im looking for a new soundcard (i currently have a 15€ crappy soundcard). I read some reviews about the X-Fi's but i still dont know which one i should buy. I need it for gaming(Mainly ArmA, so i should definately be able to use it with that), listening to music and watching some films. Any tips? smile_o.gif

For this needs the Audigy 2 would be enough. huh.gif

I use it for gaming, sometimes for movies (my PC 5.1 setting has the bigger bang) and music. smile_o.gif

Well I have currently installed Ubuntu ( a version of Linux) onto a new hard drive and I also have my current Windows XP installation on my other hard drive. However I am told that the computer should detect both operating systems and ask me which to boot when I turn my computer on.

However I don't get, it always boots XP unless I unplug my XP drive then it will load up Ubuntu. Does anyone know how to solve this

My XP drive is a SATA and my Ubuntu drive is an IDE, in the BIOS I have my XP drive first in the drive order because any other combination, the computer does not boot.

The only way that I have found to make my Ubuntu drive to run is by unplugging my XP drive but I dont want to have to unscrew my case each time I want to use Linux.

I don't know if there is any specific settings I need to do in BIOS or anywhere else.

Does anyone know why I may be having this problem?

Cheers.

What exactly do you mean when you say that your computer wont boot unless the SATA drive is set as the first to boot? And did you have the XP hard drive connected when you installed Ubuntu?

Well an error will come up saying about a missing file and then will tell me to restart. I get a different file missing per combination that I use.

And nope I disconnected my SATA (XP) hard drive when installing Ubuntu.

This problem is caused by the fact that the Linux boot-loader (GRUB) is not installed on your XP drive. On the last screen before the installation process begins, there is some sort of "Advanced" tab, that will let you set where the boot-loader should be installed. Theoretically, you would set this to /dev/sda1 but I have never tried this, and am not entirely sure that it will work, so I recommend asking on the Ubuntu forums, where there are people who know just about everything about Linux, what the correct procedure is

Is it Windows that gives the errors when you try to boot from the other disk?

For this needs the Audigy 2 would be enough. huh.gif

I use it for gaming, sometimes for movies (my PC 5.1 setting has the bigger bang) and music. smile_o.gif

Well the audigy 2 seems to be at least 20€'s more expensive then the 'X-Fi Extreme Gamer' (+-80€), while the X-Fi's seem to get slightly better reviews.

But ive never looked at soundcards before so im kinda lost. huh.gif

Than you should go for the X-Fi Extreme Gamer, thought the Audigy2 was cheaper, but it`s hardly to find.

Creative soundcards, in my experience, and in the experience of others, seem to constantly cause all sorts of problems... Are you sure you need a soundcard? Whats your integrated audio like?

Creative soundcards, in my experience, and in the experience of others, seem to constantly cause all sorts of problems... Are you sure you need a soundcard? Whats your integrated audio like?

Bullshit.

The driver/software support of creative is terrible, but once functional drivers are out, their soundcards works very well.

If you have bought the soundblaster live, bad luck. All other of their cards work fine.

I only experienced all sorts of problems with other soundcards, but never had problems with any Soundblaster, not even the first one which came out ages ago.

Edit:

Integrated audio causes the most performance problems, there is a reason that i still use my old Audigy 2 instead of my 7.1 onboard sound. wink_o.gif

Bullshit.

The driver/software support of creative is terrible, but once functional drivers are out, their soundcards works very well.

The problem is keeping them working... My X-Fi seemed to just die on me, and my cousin's Audigy has a funny habit of uninstalling itself now and then. The Creative forums are clogged up with people complaining about various problems with the X-Fi such as it making a crackling noise amongst other things. Maybe this has been fixed since I last checked...

I`m afraid it will take some more time until the X-FI drivers are bug free. They build fine hardware, but need way too long to release 100% working drivers. sad_o.gif

Well, im in love with my X-Fi..

The sound is so incredibly clear compared to my old crappy soundcard i can only describe it with:  yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]Are you sure you need a soundcard? Whats your integrated audio like?

Crap, and lacked 5.1 support.

Heres a question for our forum hardware experts:

Im thinking of buying a external harddrive since a while mainly to backup things and not for daily use.

I just want something where i can store old addons, music, movies and such.

So from what i read it seems my idea of getting a extra hd and storing my stuff on it for a long long time wont work out as it seems these things have a rather short life ( short compared to a ten year old pc that still works well for example ).

So anyone has experience with external hds, especially if they are a bit older.

Another option is getting a new internal hd like the Samsung Spinpoint series which seem to be good and use it as my main hd and the current one as a internal backup plate.

Only problem is the lack of mobility.

It just makes me wonder why it seems that the external hds seem to have a shorter life than the internal ones.

Or am i just missinformed?

Also any suggestions what to get?

I was thinking of 400-500GB for lets say 150Eur max.

Im pretty sure you can buy a USB enclosure for internal hard disks... Combine one of those with a 500GB Samsung hard disk and you'd have the best of both worlds.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could please help me with some advice as I'm not quite sure about afew things.

See my computer has started to show little green dots on the screen.  

This happens right from the second screen until desktop and even in games.  

Also when we are playing arma it just randomly freezes, which has only started happening since the dots.  Arma has never crashed in the past.

I am quite certain the issue is with the graphics card because when I put another one in, they go away.  They are still there however when I unistall the drivers and reboot (on the same card).

The thing that worrys me, is that even though the card (geforce 7900 GT) is a year old, it has had very very little use (once or twice every two weeks or so).

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to start putting money aside for anew one so soon after feeling I finally had the PC I wanted sad_o.gif ?

Any advice is much appreciated. xmas_o.gif

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could please help me with some advice as I'm not quite sure about afew things.

Also when we are playing arma it just randomly freezes, which has only started happening since the dots. Arma has never crashed in the past.

I am quite certain the issue is with the graphics card because when I put another one in, they go away. They are still there however when I unistall the drivers and reboot (on the same card).

The thing that worrys me, is that even though the card (geforce 7900 GT) is a year old, it has had very very little use (once or twice every two weeks or so).

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to start putting money aside for anew one so soon after feeling I finally had the PC I wanted sad_o.gif ?

Sounds like your Graphics card is Artifacting. Is it overclocked at all?

Im pretty sure you can buy a USB enclosure for internal hard disks... Combine one of those with a 500GB Samsung hard disk and you'd have the best of both worlds.

Yeah been thinking about that too but would like to hear some more opinions if externals are as problematic as it seems.

I just wanna have something that i can still use in hmm lets say 10 years if i need the data on it.

Hi,

Also when we are playing arma it just randomly freezes, which has only started happening since the dots. Arma has never crashed in the past.

I am quite certain the issue is with the graphics card because when I put another one in, they go away. They are still there however when I unistall the drivers and reboot (on the same card).

I know its sounds stupid, but make sure your monitor cable is tightly connected to your monitor and to your PC. Green Dots have happened to me twice, and both times it was caused by cable being loose.

EDIT: I replied before fully reading your question. A possible solution is to grab ATI Tools and try underclocking your graphics card. Also, what temperature is it running at?

Quote[/b] ]Yeah been thinking about that too but would like to hear some more opinions if externals are as problematic as it seems.

I just wanna have something that i can still use in hmm lets say 10 years if i need the data on it.

I own 2 USB hardrives for 4 years now. One is a regular IDE HD with 200 Gigs that has been placed into a USB casing. I have changed the casing once as someone stepped on the plug and it broke. The price for a casing is about 15 - 20 Euro.

I once had problems with it when I simply pulled the cord from the USB socket instead of removing the USB device from the tray first. The drive lost it´s internal structure dossier and was not recognized by computer anymore. I managed to backup the data though and reformatted it. It was a user error as it´s advised to remove the drive from the tray first and then disconnect it. Since then I got no more problems at all and I´m moving around the drive quite often. Downside of this external HD format is that it needs an extra power supply that has to be taken with the HD.

That´s why I bought my 2nd USB drive that is a 2.5´´ drive in a leather wallet. Capacity is 250 GB. It´s a Notebook HD that´s why the size is smaller. The size is not the only benefit. It also needs no external power, so you just connect the USB wire to 2 computer USB ports and it will take the power from there.

There were one - port solutions when those small HD´s came up but there were problems with computers not being able to provide enough power on one USB port, so most the manufacturers switched to the 2 Port solution.

I had no problems whatsoever with the HD and I really like it as it´s very small in size and needs no extra power-box. The Leather wallet it came with allows you to put it into your jacket and take it with you wherever you like. I use it quite often to transport large datafiles and make backups. Since I own the mobile HD´s I hardly ever burn CD´s anymore.

I know its sounds stupid, but make sure your monitor cable is tightly connected to your monitor and to your PC. Green Dots have happened to me twice, and both times it was caused by cable being loose.

EDIT: I replied before fully reading your question. A possible solution is to grab ATI Tools and try underclocking your graphics card. Also, what temperature is it running at?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

No it is not OC and has always ran between 40-55.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it may have started just after I opened it up and cleaned the fan on it (was very dust full).

Perhaps I damaged it then? Hopefully I didn't.

I will try those tools, thanks.

I'm afraid that its quite likely that your card is damaged - if the artifacts appear before Windows starts up, its not a driver problem, and the card wouldnt have heated up enough to be an overheating problem. Have you contacted the makers of the card about this?