Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

The price difference between 939 and AM2 is not that big, which is one the reasons it's so hard to decide..

Even the memory, DDR and DDR2, are almost the same price...

And like Berghoff said, even the production of almost all 939 CPUs has stopped, and the rest will follow soon and no new ones are made..

What worries me is the early problems new chipsets etc. have.. Wouldn't wanna buy a very unstable system confused_o.gif

And postponing the upgrade much further would force me to wait for DX10 and bying some DX10 capable gcard which probably costs like 700-800€.. banghead.gif

Even now a useful card costs between 300-400€ and thats more than the motherboard and CPU put together... mad_o.gif

The other one I'm not able to decide is the CPU itself, that is: should I get single or dual core... tounge2.gif

Dual core all the way. Aparently nVidia and ATI are making DX10 Graphics cards later this year, they'll be the usual price €500 or so for the top range version, I dont think we're going to be seeing €800 Graphics cards anytime soon (except for fancy overclocked or modified variants)

I agree with berghoff about upgrade options I suppose, but of course there is the issue with the chipsets/motherboards, make sure you read reviews before buying one

Quote[/b] ]parently nVidia and ATI are making DX10 Graphics cards later this year,

mad_o.gif

So basicly there is no point in bying an new top of the line (or semi top of the line) gcard now...

Although, no matter when you upgrade the system becomes outdated day or two later.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah. The lesson is never to get top of the range of anything. If you desperately need a decent new graphics card now, get a 7600GT. On the plus side, it will be at least a year or two before the latest games demand a minimum of a DX10 Graphics card.

True...

Btw, just remembered that I read somewhwere like 2-3 weeks ago that ATI would be presenting it's first DX10 supporting chipsets and gcards in CeBit 2007 (that is if my memory doesn't fail me tounge2.gif )..

Pretty odd news though if those would be coming out this year huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you desperately need a decent new graphics card now, get a 7600GT.

Yes, I do...

My 9600 radeon does not compute with any of the newer, newish or new games.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Plus it's AGP so not so compatible with new motherboards..

Right then, get a 7600GT now, and then upgrade in a year or two's time. The 7600GT is good price, and is more than powerful enough

I wonder if Nasa would sell any of their equipment.. tounge2.gif

Anyways, someone said a few pages ago that some MoBos for sAM2 (wich apparantly is 940 pins, but doesn't support Opteron crazy_o.gif ) is unstable. Are there any that doesn't have any problems, or is all MoBos crap?

w00t!

Now we can brag about have 1,1 kW of power!!

Yes, you heard right! 1,1kW of power!

tounge2.gif

Nah, to make it a bit more serious;

Tagan releases their turboseries, wich comes in 600W, 700W, 900W and a whopping 1100W. From Tagans page;

Quote[/b] ]TG1100-U95 (TURBOJET)

Record-breaking: Over 1000 Watt for Quad GFX engines and multi-core server systems

The TurboJet Series offers solutions for high-end gaming, video design, and server applications

• Compatible with Intel EPS12V Ver.2.9 and downwards

• Universal motherboard support due to 20+4 pin main power as well as 4-pin & 8-pin +12V power connectors for 20, 20+4, 24+4, and 24+8 configurations

• Four 6-pin PCI Express connectors with REMI technology reduce EMI and support multible graphic cards

• Combo-S2M (SATA to IDE) connectors empowering all types of hard drives

• Universal AC input range for all countries: 110~240VAC

A much needed PSU, when we all have quad-GPUs and dual CPUs, for our gaming computers (I think this will be soon tounge2.gif).

turbo.jpg

At the moment, they are pretty expensive, at a swedish shop (Webhallen), you'll get the 600W for 1795SEK, wich is around 194euro. 1100W costs 4685SEK, wich is around 507euro.

It's on my future list. When I'm gonna be making alot of money. To spend alot on PSUs tounge2.gif

Nah, just kidding, but atm, this is not to neccesary, but when we start to use more of each component, I guess a kilowatt's never wrong.

I'm gonna wait a few years, so the price's going to go down, and the system I have actually need it.

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

crazy_o.gif

Insane...

Just imagine your electricity bill after some serious gaming (not to mention the 790 degrees celcius your room would have)...

If those are as crappy as PSUs usually from that 1100W you would get 600-700W in reality (spikes go up to 1100W) the rest would turn to heat immediately (and not via CPUs, GPUs and the like)...

Quote[/b] ]Anyways, someone said a few pages ago that some MoBos for sAM2 (wich apparantly is 940 pins, but doesn't support Opteron) is unstable. Are there any that doesn't have any problems, or is all MoBos crap?

I have only followed one guys reports as he bought the first motherboard with AM2 support (MSI mobo..) and he had some problems with voltages etc but those were fixed with updating the BIOS and some drivers...

Read one test of the Asus MultigiplixSuperHyper motherboard (their latest) and the tester had no problems what so ever, other than a few idiotic engineering decisions on the board itself (some cards and cords have a bit tight fit)..

I'm going to get AM2 board, just waiting for the AMD prices to actually drop (wonder why they have to wait till next monday since no-one in their right mind would buy a processor with old price now)..

I put my eyes on Plextor DVD-RW PX-760a,but as i can see it doesnt support DVD RAM and overburning:1)does someone have that burner,and does firmware 1.3 fix or enable DVD-RAM support (because older PX-750a supports DVD-RAM)?

2)Im also interest in Benq DW1650 because its the same built like Plextor PX-750a (they have the same electronics),and its twice cheaper-maybe u can tell me if u are using one, is it good burner? thumbs-up.gif

I was thinking of upgrading now, before ArmA, to get the last out of my little OFP tounge2.gif

So, what do you think:

PSU: Q-Tec PowerSupply (PSU) ATX 500W (Big Fan)

MoBo: Asus - Socket 775 - ATX Nforce4 SLI (P5ND2-SLI)

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 3,0ghz 800/2x2m Dual Core Socket 775

DDR: GeIL DDR2 2GB (2x1.0GB) PC5300 667MHz - Dual Channel SPD (Value)

HDD: Western Digital 120GB SATA II Caviar SE (7200RPM / 8MB Cache / SATA II)

GFX: Asus GeForce 6600gt/TD 256MB (EN6600GT/HTD/256M) - TV-Ut / DVi (PCI-E)

And some additional cooling.

...i would go on: PSU-Forton 500w,Blue Storm,12 cm fan

or   Tagan,2Force,Super silent   or OCZ 450w,ModStream  (buy good psu because its the main thing in computer)

CPU-Intel Pentium 4 640 3200Mhz,2Mb cache,s775,64bit,FSB800

RAM:Corsair PC5300,2048 mb,ddr2,twin 2x,corsair c4,ddr 675 Mhz,2x 1024 mb

HDD:Seagate 250mb,7200.9,serial ata II,NCQ,16 mb cache,7200rpm

VGA:Asus Extreme AX1600XT silent/td,256mb ddr3

or  Sapphire Ati Radeon X1800GTO,256mb ddr3

....and for additional cooling (i recommend for cpu and vga)buy Zalman-u cant go wrong,trust me

...i would go on: PSU-Forton 500w,Blue Storm,12 cm fan

or   Tagan,2Force,Super silent   or OCZ 450w,ModStream  (buy good psu because its the main thing in computer)

CPU-Intel Pentium 4 640 3200Mhz,2Mb cache,s775,64bit,FSB800

RAM:Corsair PC5300,2048 mb,ddr2,twin 2x,corsair c4,ddr 675 Mhz,2x 1024 mb

HDD:Seagate 250mb,7200.9,serial ata II,NCQ,16 mb cache,7200rpm

VGA:Asus Extreme AX1600XT silent/td,256mb ddr3

or  Sapphire Ati Radeon X1800GTO,256mb ddr3

....and for additional cooling (i recommend for cpu and vga)buy Zalman-u cant go wrong,trust me

Rather go with 4mb cache. Don't mind those 200mhz extra, cause the dual cache is better then 200mhz +

Doesn't support 675mhz, upto 667mhz tounge2.gif

250mb.. That doesn't even hold XP i think. Nah, just kidding, I can stick with 200GB doesn't matter tounge2.gif

The 6600GT beats both those cards (not together!! wink_o.giftounge2.gif) anyday.

Q-Tec is not bad. It's a good brand, seing as they've worked together with Papst alot.

So, well, I'm satisfied.

And after a while I'll install a Zalman Reserator Plus when I've got the money for it.

smile_o.gif

Rather go with 4mb cache. Don't mind those 200mhz extra, cause the dual cache is better then 200mhz +

Doesn't support 675mhz, upto 667mhz tounge2.gif

250mb.. That doesn't even hold XP i think. Nah, just kidding, I can stick with 200GB doesn't matter tounge2.gif

The 6600GT beats both those cards (not together!! wink_o.giftounge2.gif) anyday.

Q-Tec is not bad. It's a good brand, seing as they've worked together with Papst alot.

So, well, I'm satisfied.

And after a while I'll install a Zalman Reserator Plus when I've got the money for it.

smile_o.gif

U dont mind for extra 200mhz-your problem

...for memory-ops sorry didnt see that   icon_rolleyes.gif

U can stick to 200gb-as i can see u will buy 120 gb hdd ,no?

And instead WD buy Hitachi or Samsung-they are much better.

For vga also consider this:VGA PCI-E ASUS Extreme N7600GT/2DHTV, GeForce 7600GT, 256MB DDR3, dual DVI, TV

Q-tec-hmmm,u cant buy their products in my country so i cant say (Papst has good fan products-i have 2 80mm in my case),but i would go for ocz

U are satisfied- Im glad

For now u can buy Zalman CNPS 9500,cu,led for cpu and later Reserator  thumbs-up.gif

U dont mind for extra 200mhz-your problem

...for memory-ops sorry didnt see that   icon_rolleyes.gif

U can stick to 200gb-as i can see u will buy 120 gb hdd ,no?

And instead WD buy Hitachi or Samsung-they are much better.

For vga also consider this:VGA PCI-E ASUS Extreme N7600GT/2DHTV, GeForce 7600GT, 256MB DDR3, dual DVI, TV

Q-tec-hmmm,u cant buy their products in my country so i cant say (Papst has good fan products-i have 2 80mm in my case),but i would go for ocz

U are satisfied- Im glad

For now u can buy Zalman CNPS 9500,cu,led for cpu and later Reserator  thumbs-up.gif

2mb cache 3,2Ghz

4mb cache 3,0Ghz

I'll go with 3Ghz

And I didn't post that the MoBo just supports upto 667Mhz, my bad

Ooops, meant 120GB tounge2.gif Can add more HDs if needed tounge2.gif

What's wrong with WD? They make the Raptors!

Those vgas are really good, but doesn't fit my budget at the time being.

When I've get really good money, I will get a mobo that supports 800Mhz DDR2 mems, an Intel P4 extreme, watercooling, a nice case etc etc, and a very good VGA.

What I'd should prioritize is getting a MoBo that supports 800Mhz DDR2 and quad-gfx + the 4 graphiccards themselves tounge2.gif

But, I don't have those money now, so I'll have to wait sad_o.gif

Anyways tounge2.gif

wink_o.gif

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

AMD will make more money?

"More then $5bn"

According to Bloomberg, $5.4bn.

Horrible news, I'm not surprised if Intel and Nvidia mergde together too.

This will only lead to a hardware market where just two companies leads the whole show. confused_o.gif

One would almost think that this is like a re-run of Microsoft domination.

They wouldn't be that stupid.

Microsoft has been dued to pay alot of million dollars ( tounge2.gif) for not following rules in company-thingies. (Man, my english sucks sometimes sad_o.gif)

This could lead to optimizing of AMD processors with ATi graphics chips, as technicians can now have unrestricted access to eachothers technology. Having vision in both eyes always beats being blind in one eye.

Of course this could also lead to favoring AMD customers over Intel users, but that would decrease their sales, so I doubt they will go AMD all the way.

Horrible news, I'm not surprised if Intel and Nvidia mergde together too.

This will only lead to a hardware market where just two companies leads the whole show. confused_o.gif

One would almost think that this is like a re-run of Microsoft domination.

This is indeed bad news for the current status quo.

ATI is a disgrace, apathetic and antagonistic where Microsoft is merely incompetent and ignorant. We can only hope that AMD can purge ATI's culture effectively and fix their sorry mess.

However, it's not suprising that this has happened. Nvidia obviously saw the writing on the wall years ago when they started partnering with Intel.

The latest tech speculation is AMD's looking to shift future processor development in a major evolutionary way, reducing the seperation between different processing systems, and making it more integrated. ATI's heavily supported GPU-based non-graphical development, to the point that a lot of applications are increasingly using the GPU for operations other than graphics.

Now the crossfire is an obscene ripoff, but suppose it was moved instead to Hypertransport? There's already a company that makes dedicated crypto chips that drop in an opteron socket and hang off of hypertransport. It would be interesting to see a scalable graphical system based off the same architecture.

In the short term though, it's going to fubar everything. Unless this is the biggest scam the big four have run yet to run up the market.

This thread is apparantly for website-questions to.

If you don't belive me, read here (and forward).

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

Apparently Intel has revoked ATI's license to make P4 chipsets. This means if you want a Crossfire + Pentium you're screwed. Then again, Crossfire was a trainwreck from the start. Oh well.

It would be interesting to see how it really plays out, I think there could be a significant risk for having the merger stuffed up by anti-trust regulations. It wouldn't be a huge issue for the predicted platform evolution 15 years from now, but for the current situation I think it's rather risky.