Sign in to follow this  
chammy

Sound conversion v3 updated Res.

Yes, I have updated my sound mod thingy. Let me know what yall think. Like I siad before, all sounds were made from actuall video taken apart tweeaked and shaped to have that real sound effect from far away and near. Made from the real thing, I guess more authentic. Like authentic Mexican food. Ok well, I made different foot steps sounds and screams. Yes, I've been bored.  Well beings OFP 2 aint coming anytime soon again, I tought, how bout a little update.

OFP Sound Conversion v2

You might want to send it over to OFP.info, cuz hardly anyone is going to sign up on that service being used for the download as it will likely just get them on a spam list.

The sample on that site however sounded pretty good, however they sound like a "real" battle....through a microphone.   As an ex-soldier, I can tell you that in real life, rifles, machine guns, grenades, etc...do not sound like what you hear on your TV.  If you want to a hear extremely realistic battle sound FX on a movie, watch "Saving Private Ryan".  That's one of the few war movies I've seen where the sound FX really come close to real rifle and machine gun sounds (although WWII weapons).   The "snap" of a .223 cal M16/M4 round for example is extremely difficult to record well.

Also grenades have a TREMENDOUS  BOOM!  They shake the earth when they explode despite their tiny size.  Likewise the same for AT rockets like the AT-4 which I've fired.  

I noticed also that your Vulcan has the wrong sound.  Gatling guns have extremely distinct "whirring" sounds that rev up and down.

Finally, the whole sound pack needs to be boosted in volume like by 10 db if you want to get closer to realism.  Real battle sounds are incredibly loud.  That and some massive bass boost to your samples and the pack might get a bit closer to realism.  But until then I think so far the Finnish Defense Force mod probably has some of the best battle sounds.  

I'm also an audio engineer by the way (recorded many bands and have my own project studio) so I know how difficult making a high quality sound mod is.  But with a little improvement this sound mod I think could be really good. If you use your computer to record and edit sound FX's, I recommend that you use some type of bass maximizer plugin and a brick wall type hard limiter to get the volume on the samples as loud as possible. (I use Cool Edit Pro for hard limiting).

Also if possible I recommend getting more feedback from soldiers to see what they think.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks , can u tell me how to do that then? Yeha, I've been trying to get a place to host the addon or mod but hadnt been able to find one sad_o.gif

Ah darn... you answered before I could finish editing my post.

Well I downloaded it by just making a fake email address and password. Just email OFP.info (they have a link to contact them on their site) and ask them if they could host it. Just explain to them to put in a fake email address and make up a password to download it from the link you posted.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

What's the most realistic opf soundpack we have up till now ?

btw: nice comment MilesTeg. smile_o.gif Have you worked with someone on a soundpack yet ?

A big list of free file hosting solutions can be found there.

Another list is located here

most of them are temporary, but enough to share a file for some time until you get a definitive hosting.

You can register an account in http://www.filefront.com and use their free file hosting possibility too, easy and less temporary for hosting your files.

SO do I.

Thanks Miles Tag for the feedback. Well, yeah, I had problems making the sound bits a lot more louder as when doing so the sound started to lose its punch and clarity. I use Goldwave and N Track, Ntrack for mixing music. And Audiocity.

The thing I was aiming for was since OFP doesnt have 2 samples for one weapon and such was to get what it would sound like from close range and then when at a far distant. I am sorry about the Finnish Mod, I would have to argue on that. Yes, it is true that they may take their sound samples from a professional CD but really, weapons do not have such a Hollywood sound as those do. And since you are a Veteran of Combat training and War ,you know, that most weapons almost sound alike in certain ways, depending on make and barrel lengths and cals, EXCEPT, when recorded through certain mics. , although yes, Saving Ryans Privates does a good job on recreating these sound effects but I dont know how to encrypt DVD's.. Its weird though that the AK47 , depending on the make, has more of a snap, like a whip sound compared to the M16. Well, in OFP, since alot of maps are open ranged I wanted to get that in between reverb or echo sound. And since JAM and others like Finnish, they just pour on the echo, but, I can understand a fire fight in a forest, very loud a reverberish, like shooting inside of a ware house.

So really , I tried to get a distinct sound of both weapon types and from distances. I was also aiming at making the sounds sound how it would without hearing protection. The explosions I did want to make them a little louder but I started losing the bassy punch so I had to be carefull. Oh, and btw, where can I find COol Edit Pro? I hear its a pretty penny.

Oh, and yes, the sounds were really taken from comb at video clips and such found on the net. I tried to record out at the shooting range with a mic that had a dynamic condencer and a dat recorder but the sounds kept coming out too blaring. From far a way I had to raise the volume.

But all in all, i wanted to try something new and make more "authentic" sounds, not from a CD or from another game.

Quote[/b] ]I noticed also that your Vulcan has the wrong sound

Have you heard the M167 from a distance? Not from a test firing ballistic indoor range. I mean from outside and from behind the cannon, I say about a good 30' away.  And from a far distance. It is a a very distinct "brrrrrrr" sound like someone ripping a very fast fart on a leather chair.

could you please just post a link so the rest of us can at least hear your sounds? it's nice to hear you guys chat about sounds and all that, but i would really like to hear your work.

LOL, no problem bro, my pleasure, I had to take it off so that I could find a better host for them. I can send you it, I'll call it, hte "beta" since after reading this, I want to make the sounds a wee bit louder so I have been thumbing through the net to find these editing tools./

pun? wink_o.gif

As I am back on broadand I definitely want to see this!

I am sorry we could not get your first sounds into WGL5 and I doubt there is time to get them in to the next big version. However I definitely want to hear them smile_o.gif

Cool Jinef, yeah, before hand , ihadnt been able to touch my sound mod for quite some time due to a new addition in my family, baby boy, so I've been very vrey busy until last month that I jumped back into the game. Yes, iam working on a link now, I was told that my sounds needed to be a bit louder and lately I have bee trying to find another wave editor to use to make them a wee bit more louder, give me until tomorrow yes Jinef and Shapeshifter? I saw you a couple of times on MSN Jinef but I just havent the chance to shoot the poop lately, but I am starting to have a bit more time.

Cool Edit Pro 2. I have been using that for WGL5 samples. Works nicely.

The only thing with that is I have to pay for it , so far I 've been using Sound Froge 6.0 tounge2.gif . Not that I'm cheap or anything.

Looking forward to this, will this be wgl compatible?, or just replace the BIS sounds?.

Thankyou for the efforts chammy, sound is vital to any game.

Nick wink_o.gif

Heya, sorry took me so long to respond. Yeah, it replaces almost all the sounds, I added some new "pain screams" and fixed the foot steps a bit, might not be too noticable but to the trained ear or to anyone who is very kean to the sounds will notice it. Also I replaces some foley like the missload, most of the explosions and weapons and the battle sounds. Its too bad BIS doesnt include all the Battle sounds in the drop down in the triggers option of the editor. Now I have heard many saying that " how did u get these "real" sounds? I just got them by searching for weapon testing footage or war footage and picked some that had good quality and or the right footage recorded in a way that that is the way you'd hear a weapon fired if you were actually there. When high pressure sounds are recorded, sometimes when recorded with a regular camera it just records the neuinces of the sound and not what the sound makes with the pressure, sometimes the sound pressure is so strong it distorts and you have that blaring loudness. I tried to record a grenade blast and all that came out was a quick crumbling sound from behind a berm. What i was aiming for was to get that "in between" sound, the nice percussiveness you'd hear from a few distance and what you'd hear from standing right next to the weapon or explosion.

Ok, here's the link for yall, enjoy and give me some fbk yes? thanks.  I also have changed BISSound also , you 'll see why.

Fixing my file account, brb.

I did a quick test and I must say Im very impressed! Great work! notworthy.gif

This will definetly replace my BIS Sounds as yours are way better than that.

I cant say if they are as realistic as you claim them to be because I dont have a clue how the real weapons sound like. But I can say that the quality of your soundpack is very high and I really like the "feel" of it!

Lets see how I like em if I play the game for a longer period of time... pistols.gif

ttrust me bro, they are, and I'm not just full of myself heh. No but really, thanks for downloading them, Its just I hear its going to be a longer time untill OFP 2 and or AA come out and beings I still play OFP like a ritual well, why not make sound more real, I made the sounds like I said, with reall video clips. If u check out some clips on the net, some rifle sounds come out very rough sounding or blaring, but thats not the way we hear things when actually there, its more of pops and cracks, same with explosions, because of the loud sound pressure, microphones only pick up the shape of the sound and not the actually pressure of it,.... something like that. I changed out BIS's SoundBIS addon also, not too many thuogh as I thought that most of them sounded just fine, I'm a perfectionist but not anal. It took me a while to finish this one cause I now have 3 kids and they busy the patatoes out of me and hadnt been able to touch the sound thingy, so I'm contantly on the go , but its all good. I'm also going to release a sound pack for all to have, lots of rifle ttpye sounds foley and explosions, plus rpg, LAW, m136 launch sounds etc.

Er... how do i download of that page?

I would love to try this pack out sounds very promising.

Enter The 3 digit number or code at the bottom of the screen, hit submit underneath it and then wait afew seconds for the greenbar at the bottom to allow a download smile_o.gif