Sign in to follow this  
deady

Voices

I think randomized sentence structure and word choice would help. "Oh no, six is down" "Six is dead.. damn" that kinda thing with every type of order.

I know it wouldn't help easy of use, but they should refer to the other soldiers by their last name or nickname as well.

Also the visual duplication on the screen: 1. looks awful, need to blend the transparent black background to the text into the interface, maybe have an option not to have the text displayed at all. And when they call out direction they NEVER get the 12 oclock right. They should say "west, southeast" ect.

Having a unique voice tied to your character was great for identifying. With more VOIP in ARMA I don't know will need voices for humans in MP.

So in conclusion it's a big question and I know nothing aobut it

Also, if the soldier is close, they shouldn't even use the radio, it should be a "say". At least for shouting out locations and such. That would remove some clutter.

--Ben

I don't even like the voices, they are slow and annoying. I got a mod for OFP that turns them off and makes my orders instant. There's a difference between realism and being pedantic.

that negative post brought to you by Ukrainboy. Remember with Ukrainboy you can always get your dose of negativity for free! rofl.gif Ukrainboy you make my day...

Heh i like the different voices, they give me a sense of different personalities throughout the squad.

Hmm, considering the most realistic mod out there, WGL5, has also removed the voices then I think you can see I have a point.

I don't even like the voices, they are slow and annoying. I got a mod for OFP that turns them off and makes my orders instant.

So you control your soldiers through telepathy? In real life there is a delay between your thoughts, your speech and people's reaction to what you have said.

The speech could be faster, but losing it completely is unrealistic (and cheating if used in a MP environment).

even if you have all voices turned off, its going to take you less time to say 'squad, line up on that ridge in front of us, go prone and hold fire until i say so' than do a

' ¬,3,2, f1, click, f2, click, f3, click, f4, click, f5, click, f6 click, f7, click, f8, click, ¬, 7,6,'

Quote[/b] ]Also, if the soldier is close, they shouldn't even use the radio, it should be a "say". At least for shouting out locations and such. That would remove some clutter.

--Ben

this is a very nice idea. and will help alot ith immersion, at least for me. this is done in the game halo 2 (gasp...gets shot).

I don't even like the voices, they are slow and annoying. I got a mod for OFP that turns them off and makes my orders instant.

So you control your soldiers through telepathy? In real life there is a delay between your thoughts, your speech and people's reaction to what you have said.

The speech could be faster, but losing it completely is unrealistic (and cheating if used in a MP environment).

icon_rolleyes.gif It's a video game buddy. Also, the most realistic mod out there, WGL, has instant orders.

It's a video game buddy. Also, the most realistic mod out there, WGL, has instant orders.

Being the most realistic mod does not make everything in it realistic, or even in this case more realistic than the original game. Realism is measured against what occurs in real life, not what happens in WGL icon_rolleyes.gif

As far you it being a "Video Game", are you suggesting that we shouldn't bother with any realism because it's a game? That it shouldn't be more realistic than OFP?

Agreed OFP was unrealistic in places, though the overall game was one of, if not the most realistic, yet released in 2001. We can probably assume that the unrealistic aspects of OFP existed because of limitations in time, control interfaces and not just because it was supposed to be a fun game. In todays market, with dozens of games and millions of gamers looking for realism, Arma should be aiming to improve on OFP's realism not take steps backwards.

It's a video game buddy. Also, the most realistic mod out there, WGL, has instant orders.

Being the most realistic mod does not make everything in it realistic, or even in this case more realistic than the original game. Realism is measured against what occurs in real life, not what happens in WGL icon_rolleyes.gif

As far you it being a "Video Game", are you suggesting that we shouldn't bother with any realism because it's a game? That it shouldn't be more realistic than OFP?

Agreed OFP was unrealistic in places, though the overall game was one of, if not the most realistic, yet released in 2001. We can probably assume that the unrealistic aspects of OFP existed because of limitations in time, control interfaces and not just because it was supposed to be a fun game. In todays market, with dozens of games and millions of gamers looking for realism, Arma should be aiming to improve on OFP's realism not take steps backwards.

When did I say that we shouldnt have any realism? There's a difference between realism, and small little things that don't matter. Also, I know what realism is measured against, but if the fine mod makers at WGL can decide that trading off annoying voices in exchange for faster response times, then it's fine by me.

When ArmA comes out, first thing Im doing is removing the voices.

When I played a mission made by myself, I was one soldier in a 12-sized squad, I was commander, and the veeery strange and funy thing which happend, made me laugh loud: I commanded one after one to get a new position: 2, go to ff45, 3, go to ff44 etc. and since i commanded everyone, one by one, every guy said "Roger", but not with different voices! everyone, including me, had the same voice! and you heard 11 teammates saying:

"Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", "Roger", all with the same voice tounge2.gif

Sorry For Off-Topic

Real world quick battle commands would be faster than OFP but not instantaneous. In real life you can express complex concepts in only a few words, in OFP complex concepts... are complex.

And WGL is a realistic mod because it contains realistic features. The features arent' realistic because they are in a realism mod. Welcome to logical fallacy land, customs are to your left.

And I don't consider the speed at which orders are acknowleged to be part of the "small things that don't matter" category.

I hope that the Voices in AA won't have so very few words, like in OFP, In OFP, when you say that number two is going to move to a object, which is in original OFP, like a fountain or a fence, or lots of other objects: the name of the object (fountain, fence etc.) is on the text, but when your soldier is going to say: "2, move to fountain 12 O'clock", which is on the text, he say's fountain as a target, or unknown!

or if your number two is going to get inside a original OFP vehicle, not every vehicle have a "name" which is said, like the hummer, or the AH-1 Cobra, and other vehicles, like the Bus, and some others, they are said as a unknown, target, and other wrong words, what I mean is: I WANT MORE WORDS IN THE RADIO CHATTING!!  smile_o.gif

PS: A little funny proof, to have more words Is when you command a teammate to target, attack or move to a "Woman": On the Radio text, its: "2, ATTACK WOMAN 12 O'CLOCK!"

But he say's "2, ATTACK MAN 12 O'CLOCK!

He describe a woman as a man! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the Radio text, its: "2, ATTACK WOMAN 12 O'CLOCK!"

But he say's "2, ATTACK MAN 12 O'CLOCK!

He describe a woman as a man! smile_o.gif

an other woman killer icon_rolleyes.gif

something that could be done , is the possibility to give several orders at a time , and give orders while your soldiers are giving you informations.

I shouldn't have to wait for soldier1 to finish telling me that my whole squad is dead but instead my words should "cancel" his speach since I've got enough info to react.

something that could be done , is the possibility to give several orders at a time , and give orders while your soldiers are giving you informations.

I shouldn't have to wait for soldier1 to finish telling me that my whole squad is dead but instead my words should "cancel" his speach since I've got enough info to react.

It was one of the most frustrating things in OFP, at least for me. For example, i am helicopter pilot and i have AI gunner. Let's say we encounter 2 T72s and 2 BMPs. Gunner starts to identify targets, but when i move my mouse over BMP and give the order to lock the target, that order comes through only when my gunner finishes with target reckognizing (all four of them). It's even worse when there's shilka, because by the time the gunner is done with his thing, our helicopter is allready full of holes... i would like to see it fixed/improved.

Yeah that's true. And that's why I use manual fire mode, because I can shoot just after I targeted the tank.

I must admit that the 'that' either gotta go, or need fixing.

It's not smooth at all, and it's almost like he shout's THAT instead of using it in a sentence:

8, Target THAT(!!wink_o.gif soldier, 5'o'clock.

It would be cool, if there were more random radio-orders. Like:

8, Engage Sniper, 5'o clock

8, Take out that Sniper, 5'o clock

8, Attack Sniper, 5'o clock

8, Get the Sniper, 5'o clock

Would also be cool, if the system checks how much under fire the squadleader is when giving commands, and then use accordingly aggressive ones, like:

8, Take out that sniper, 5'o clock NOW!

ALL, Hit the ground now!

ALL, Retreat now! - All get back, go go go!

THAT would be nice ! Coupled with different stressed anims, Game2 is already here xmas_o.gif

ALL, Get that Flashnews, 12 o' clock !

The more animations and phrases the better. Variety is far more immersive. If every soldier in a squad moved slightly differently, spoke with a different voice and used different phrases it would improve realism more than any particular weapon etc

Just a think that could be easily implementable (I think),

just changing the pitch (a little, no mickeymouse style) when the guy is stressed, maybe on the beginning of each word then coming back near normal ?

Like when you're nervous, you say Damn this Thing drives me out !

I don't know precisely how but could be great.