Sign in to follow this  
Phleep

SimHQ E3 Interview

omfg 200 players online? wow_o.gif

OFP could have 6064 right?

I hope they're not talking about theorical limit but more the realistic one wink_o.gif

Though I'm very doubtfull

exactly

Quote[/b] ]Although Jiri stated that the game is still in a late Alpha development stage, he expected the game to be ready to go "gold" in July of 2006.

Very optimistic I guess, taking into consideration that extensive Beta hasn´t even started right now. I don´t know what to make of that. I expect ArAs in autumn.

That doctor didn`t know what he is talking about. To whom will he sell an day/night cycle as a new feature in the "OFP" engine?

<---1600|||||1600---->

I presume the latter by the language used i.e. 'can go up to 3000'

It is surely the second one. If you set the view distance to 1600, then you'll see object, that's 1600m away. Just like in OFP.

hehe 800m would be a little low =) you can't even fly planes than at all.

That doctor didn`t know what he is talking about. To whom will he sell an day/night cycle as a new feature in the "OFP" engine?

Keep in mind that for one, the doctor didn't write the article (meaning he may not have stressed it so much, but it made an impression on the author), and second that the article was most likely written assuming that the reader doesn't know squat about Operation: Flashpoint.

Quote[/b] ]the game engine isn't optimized to take advantage of dual core processing

Well, I'm screwed. Now I wont pass minimum 2Ghz req. FFS, Dual-Core is the future of gaming!

Quote[/b] ]the game engine isn't optimized to take advantage of dual core processing

Well, I'm screwed. Now I wont pass minimum 2Ghz req. FFS, Dual-Core is the future of gaming!

AFAIK dual core doesnt mean (yourmhz)×2 huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

IIRC you will only be able to have one of the cores activated if you want to run a game that doesn't support dual core with a dual core computer. And most dual cores consist of two 2.0 - 2.8 GHZ cores.

Or am I wrong? help.gif

mere ghz numbers don`t say much about power these days ... cpu near memory is very important für 3d games (2nd lv cache) , 64bit cpus are better and a good gfx card. all these variables do more to performance than 4ghz 1000euro cpus.

(i.e. opterons with 1.8ghz are far more powerful than 1.8ghz cpus from 2001)

Ok so which processors are these with 64 bit processing?

Also:

Quote[/b] ]That being said, while running a mission with visibility set to 1600 meters, and running on a high-end Dell XPS gaming system, Armed Assault demo mission looked to be running at about 20 fps

Wtf?? Those Dells are probably sporting Nvidia based SLI setups with some uber 7800 or 7900 cards. And they are getting 20 FPS only??? I guess the rest of us with a 6600 series or lower are doomed crazy_o.gif

AMD Athlon, Sempron and Turion are all 64bit (or available as 64bit). There are some Intel 64bit chips, but who buys Intel these days?

Also:

Quote[/b] ]That being said, while running a mission with visibility set to 1600 meters, and running on a high-end Dell XPS gaming system, Armed Assault demo mission looked to be running at about 20 fps

Wtf?? Those Dells are probably sporting Nvidia based SLI setups with some uber 7800 or 7900 cards. And they are getting 20 FPS only??? I guess the rest of us with a 6600 series or lower are doomed  crazy_o.gif

But we probably wont have everything cranked all the way up, and we wont play an alpha, but an optimized version  tounge2.gif

AFAIK dual core doesnt mean (yourmhz)×2 huh.gif

Sure it does, Dual-Core = Two CPU:s with 1.8Ghz each, why do you think AMD Dual-Core is called "AMD Athlon64 X2" and "3800+" etc?

Oh well, guess I just have to run the 200 player server on the other core to fill it out. ^^

don't worry..nvidia will release new driver with 200% fps increase like it happened with GRAW biggrin_o.gif

AFAIK dual core doesnt mean (yourmhz)×2  huh.gif

Sure it does, Dual-Core = Two CPU:s with 1.8Ghz each, why do you think AMD Dual-Core is called "AMD Athlon64 X2" and "3800+" etc?

Oh well, guess I just have to run the 200 player server on the other core to fill it out. ^^

But that doesnt mean they act like 1 CPU wink_o.gif

But im not even going to try to explain it, ive seen millions of these discussion.. tounge2.gif

(It can give you a 40-60% performance boost, and theres a topic in OFP->general somewhere wich explains how to enable your 2nd core for OFP)

If Armed Assault will not run perfect with my system, i`ll use lower settings. F.E.A.R. runs fine, Oblivion too, so no need for an hardware update.

My AthlonXP 3200+ 400mhz fsb shouldn`t be that bad for Armed Assault.

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm very happy as long as 2gb of decent RAM and a card like Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express is enough to run the game with most things maxed up in 1280x1024 notworthy.gif

I would be very happy, if the rest of engine advanced that far as the graphics part.

*reviewer is kind a OFP noob :P here it is,

Quote[/b] ]The game engine now supports day/night cycles, making the transition more natural.

well when was OFP supporting only one sort of ambient light really??

Mile thing is another screw up smile_o.gif because 1.0 stautical mile is around 1.6km+ and 1.0 nautical mile is around 1.8km+

* I definitely LIKED the multi-role playing by controlling different soldiers/crews.. old news, but it sounded much better to me in this review..

* about CPU over GPU ratio.. well I have P4 3.00 w GF6600GT and my desktop dog is getting kicked by laptop cat which is a AMD 3000 Sempron with ATI X700 (exclusively for OFP...)

* and one more thing (trick more like), which is kind of DualCore added 64EMT/Bit support.. just run the mission under a dedicated server, and play the game on another one...

* 200 players? well I think somebody is making a mistake... smile_o.gif or Im day-dreaming... may be I would better if I start my virus scanner, I think its manipulating HTML format :P :P

* 200 players? well I think somebody is making a mistake... smile_o.gif or Im day-dreaming... may be I would better if I start my virus scanner, I think its manipulating HTML format :P :P

It sounds possible, Joint ops had 128 (IIRC), that was years ago, so that limit could be a bit higher now right? wink_o.gif

But maybe the author was confused players with AI tounge2.gif

200 players, JiP... and still OFP current hackability? May be an issue there...

Quote[/b] ]# Up to 200 players during multiplayer

Holy mother of christ crazy_o.gif

I hope hes correct but im guessing he got confused with 'players' and 'AI players'. Surely 200 real players couldnt play..at the same time..on one server wow_o.gif