Sign in to follow this  
AtR

Igla

I've made a search but didn't find anything. I'm wondering if Igla Launcher(handhelded AA launcher) was ever made for ofp ? It's almost the same as Strella.

You'll have questions "Why having something similair?" , I say for variety smile_o.gif

Na there only the original russion antiaircraft rocketlauncher in OFP. Only the Stinger launcher was recreated by Kyle Sarnik i think. Atleast maybee nobody really need them.

No need for such an addon; by the look and especially by the characteristics it's almost identical to the Strela launcher; if I'm not mistaking Igla is just a manufacturing replica of a russian Strela from the Yougoslav Army.

I don't like Igla's... in LockOn one managed to hit me while I was flying at 3500M , above the clouds...

Igla is not a Yugoslavian version of Strela. Its one of the best handheld anti air missiles in the world. If I remember right its better or atleast equal to the current version of Stinger.

The first soviet MANPADs were the SA-7 Strela and SA-14 Strela was an upgrade to that. The russian MANPAD in OFP is the SA-7.

Then there is the SA-16 Igla and its upgrade the SA-18.

No need for such an addon; by the look and especially by the characteristics it's almost identical to the Strela launcher; if I'm not mistaking Igla is just a manufacturing replica of a russian Strela from the Yougoslav Army.

Nope, the Igla is a vastly improved weapon. The NOD/Franze Apache has an Igla in it but it is merely a BIS Strela retextured Green all over and it doesnt look that good. The VME mod has a Chinese weapon that looks quite similar to the Igla, I spose it woudnt be too hard to create a config file that uses that model.

9K32 "Strela" and the advanced Igla in FDFmod, as plaintiff1 said. Believe it's been there since v1.1 or so.

For completeness' sake, the VITAPC pack has a static ZSU 23-2 with 2 x Igla. Not a MANPAD, I know, but it might help someone.

I believe there is an Igla mounted on the DKM Mi-28, though I don't think that's what you're looking for.

9K32 "Strela" and the advanced Igla in FDFmod, as plaintiff1 said. Believe it's been there since v1.1 or so.

Is Igla there as a single pbo ?

@ Bucket man, ch_123

Right, Igla is not a Yugoslavian version of Strela (though they had a manufacturing licence I think), but there's also not some vast improvement in comparition with Strela, as is shown from the basic specs:

SA-14 GREMLIN (Strela 3, 9M36)

weight: 10.3 kg

warhead: 1kg HE

length: 1.42 m

diameter: 7.2 cm

speed: 470 m/s

max range\max altitude: 6.5km / 3.200 m

sensors\fire controls: IR  

year of development\deployment: 1970 / 1974

SA-18 GROUSE (Igla M, 9K39)

weight: 11 kg

warhead: 1 - 1.2 kg HE chemical energy with delayed fragmentation

length: 1.7 m

diameter: 7.2 cm  

speed:  600 m/s

max range\max altitude: 4,500 - 5,200m / 3500 m

sensors\fire controls: passive IR  

year of development\deployment: 1980 / 1983

And in contrast to the American Stinger, which underwent numerous improvement and modernization programs during 1980s and 1990s, there were no significant upgrades to the Igla between the 9K39 Igla (1983) and Igla-S (2002), so such comparitions (in modern days) doesen't stand. Also (if you're not some kind of expert) you couldn't tell the difference between Strela and Igla by their external look.

So, my point was; where's the point of making such an addon for OFP (you couldn't 'feel' any difference between them in the game, or if there were a significant difference, it would be a fake one), if there's already Strela in the game?

But I'll not stop any addon maker from making it; the work would require merely cosmetical changes anyways. wink_o.gif

Actually there is one quite easy way of telling the SA-7 from the newer soviet MANPADs. Notice the ball shaped thingy right below the launch tube.

SA-7 Grail (The east AA launcher in OFP)

sa-7-line.jpg

SA-18 Grouse (The most modern Igla variant)

sa-18.jpg

The SA-18 is indeed a much improved MANPAD when compared to the SA-7.

The SA-7b (Most common production model) has a slant range of about 4.2 km, a ceiling of about 2300 meters, and a speed of about 500 meters per second. The SA-18 has a maximum range of 5200 meters and a maximum altitude of 3500 meters. SA-18 also has a bigger warhead, and is much more resistant to flares and different jammers. The SA-7 could be fooled by flares and exhaust shields really easily and often went offcourse on its own. SA-18 can also engage targets from any direction when the SA-7 can only engage targets flying away.

Also the Igla seems to be, as I said equal or superior to the American Stinger.

Quote[/b] ]According to the manufacturer, South African tests have shown the Igla's superiority over the contemporary (1982 service entry) but smaller and lighter American FIM-92A Stinger missile. However, other tests in Croatia did not support any clear superiority, but effectively equal seeker performance and only marginally shorter time of flight and longer range for the Igla.

Theres is however the broblem that we cant simulate most of these differences in OFP. Or maybe with scripting we can? I dont really know. icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually there is one quite easy way of telling the SA-7 from the newer soviet MANPADs. Notice the ball shaped thingy right below the launch tube.

Yeah, I've been really strucked by the difference. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Theres is however the broblem that we cant simulate most of these differences in OFP. Or maybe with scripting we can? I dont really know.  icon_rolleyes.gif

So why's then all that fuss about? Just to have a final point? You win, happy now? wink_o.gif

Yeah the difference is really not that great. And yeah I actually felt silly after posting that info because most of it doesnt matter in OFP. icon_rolleyes.gif

But indeed I won and yes I feel extremely happy for winning! yay.gif

But seriously is it bossible to simulate some aspects like rear attack only weapons in OFP with scripting? Somebody who knows his stuff could maybe answer?

Maybe a MANPAD pack would be in order? Stinger, Strela, Igla and Redeye with good quality models and textures. Scripting used to simulate the weaknesses of each weapon system and some cool visual effects.

With a little bit of scripting, you can use a proximity detonation script on the missile that won't execute if used on the front quarters. This doesn't apply to direct hits, although I'm sure if you're desperate enough (and if the target is hot enough) you could get a hit on the front of a target in the right positioning.

I feel it's worth noting that while we did include a Igla launcher with our AH-64s, it serves primarily as an OPFOR weapon with greater ability than the basic BIS AA Launcher. We refer to it as the "Army Men Bazooka" because it's textured solid green. Compared to the Stinger we included, the quality isn't as good, although lethality is much higher than the basic AA launcher.

I think in terms of shoulder launched AA missiles, theres little incentive to use anything more than the BIS launchers - it's just easier and more effecient. This is why we chose to include Igla as an OPFOR weapon, so we could employ it in our missions for the AH-64 without having to worry about extra addon dependencies, plus have a missile that is more advanced than the basic AA launcher.

If anyone wants to texture the Army Men Bazooka, let me know. Although you'd be better off finding a better model elsewhere. icon_smile_wink.gif

Looks pretty easy to model. Maybe I'll have a go at it.

Gux - that's the way to do it. Not like us addon maker wanna-bes, just do it! notworthy.gif

The progress so far after a few hours yesterday and today:

rend3.jpg

All the material I found were very low res so I don't know how accurate the details are since I had to guess and eyeball a lot of it. If anyone has nice highres pictures of an Igla, please do post.

Looks good but it looks like you could shave quite a few polies off there.

Some time ago I had a project underway to make a MANPADS pack with 2 Stinger Models, 3 Strelas/Iglas, and a Redeye. Unfortunately, real life stepped in and the project didn't get very far, but I finished most of the work on the Stingers. Maybe it's time to bring the project back....

Here's some work-in-progress pics from a year or so ago.

StingUpd85_02_800.jpg

StingUpd03_04_800.jpg

Both of the work displayed here looks great thumbs-up.gif

Looks good but it looks like you could shave quite a few polies off there.

Yup, I haven't started the shaving yet. And then there's lods to make.

No need in shaving off poligons.The better it looks, the more haapier owners of powerful comps will be.And there LODs-don't forget it. wink_o.gif

And how it looks from the first person view?Maybe some eye-candy effects would be add?A reasonable soft specular light for example?