Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

Binarize Questions

I'm trying to binarize an addon, but each time I do and compile it, the vehicle is invisible in-game, although the mlod version works fine.

I have all of the directories set up correctly afaik. I have an O: drive where oxygen is, then I have Bin, Data3D, Data, O and Worlds directories within it. Here are some of the errors I'm getting:

I get around 100 lines like this with different STR's:

Quote[/b] ]

Cannot register unknown string STR_EXPECT

I found these in the resource.bin and stringtable which is in my binarize directory.

After that is says:

Quote[/b] ]

String id -1 is not registered

After this is says it's converting the model, but then I get several texture errors like so:

Quote[/b] ]

File 'Data\2_kr_black_side_ven.pac' not found

W:\c\Poseiden\LIB\fileserver.cpp(137) : cache failure

Then after about 40 lines of those errors, I get about 15 lines like so:

Quote[/b] ]

cannot open texture data\2_kr_black_side_ven.pac

I'm assuming that's related to the errors before it. I looked through the data.pbo in both my Res and root OFP folder for those textures, but couldn't find them.

Anyway, after that it copies the other files. I then move the new p3d's into the original directory and overwrite the mlod versions (after making a backup of course). Once I compile them with PBO-X uncompressed and load up ofp, the vehicles are invisible in-game.

It's been a long while since I've binarized, but I don't remember having this issue. Am I missing something? I've been scouring these forums for answers, but with OFPEC down I've found nothing useful.

Which version of Binarize are you using?

Is it the one that is currently on the Breathe-Site, or is it the one, that was available to download on OFPEC?

AFAIR the OFPEC-Binarize was the old buggy version, the version on Breathe is un updated version.

I had some problems with binarize, it just never worked for me

... until after "google-ing" a lot, i found something , it seems the explanation why binarize wasn't doing its work for me was because of the bin.bat

The bin.bat from the Breath binarize download was this :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@echo offb

@if "%1"=="" (

echo Usage: bin addon_name

goto :EndOfFile

)

@rem Model file optimization

rem Cemove current content

rd /s /q Opt\%1

rem Create target directory

mkdir Opt\%1

rem Perform binarization

binarize -textures=Opt -exclude=Opt\exclude.lst %1 Opt\%1

rem Copy all except model and textures

xcopy %1 Opt\%1 /exclude:exclude.txt

rem Note: textures referenced from other addons or pbo files

rem can be found in corresponding Opt subdirectories (like Opt/Data)

:EndOfFile

As it was not working at all for me (maybe it is an OS problem, like the llauma sky installer that comes with a .bat for win xp/2k and another for win 98/me)

So i changed the content of the bin.bat by what was suggested, removing some lines :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@echo off

@rem Model file optimization

rd /s /q Opt\%1

rem Create target directory

mkdir Opt\%1

rem Perform binarization

binarize -textures=Opt -exclude=Opt\exclude.lst %1 Opt\%1

rem Note: textures referenced from other addons or pbo files

rem can be found in corresponding Opt subdirectories (like Opt/Data)

Then it worked greatly and binarized the model i needed.

But be sure you have an "unpbo-ed" Data folder in your Binarize folder , not only in your Oxygen folder.

All binarize files are in the same directory as the unpbo'd data dir's. I de-pbo'd the res and normal ofp data files to search for the missing textures, but I'm not sure that could be the reason it's not working. I must be missing something simple.

I actually modified the bat file after reading through a ton of searches on the forum and did it like so:

Quote[/b] ]

@echo off

del Opt\%1\*.*

rem Perform binarization

binarize -textures=Opt -exclude=exclude.txt -tl %1 Opt\%1

When you binarize do you get any missing texture errors, or do you get any of those errors about strings?  I have binarized before but it's been so long.  I just don't remember if I ever got those errors before.

The other strange thing is I can open the binarized addon in ODOL Explorer and see it, but in-game it's invisible.  I can get into it, drive it, etc., but it just can't be seen.  It's very odd.

As far as the texture you quoted goes, as you said it doesn't exist in the Data.pbo.

However, it does exist in the Data folder that you get when you unpack Buldozer.

If you look in that Data folder you will find:

2_kr_black_side_ven.pac

2_kr_black_side_vni.pac

2_kr_black_up_copy.pac

Neither of these files are in the game Data.pbo.

They must be old texture files used only for the demo of the game and packaged with Buldozers' Data folder.

Planck

For an easier to use interface (i.e. non-DOS) I recommended BinarizeIT, a tool released an age ago by ColKlink. I'll see if I can grab you a link.

EDIT: Found the link (see below):

HALF WAY DOWN THE PAGE

Thanks, but using it with a command prompt isn't an issue with me since I assume the GUI version is simply an overlay.

Here's what makes no sense to me.  I binarize the model, I even created some fake .pac files to fill in for the missing ones from data.  It still gives me a ton of missing string errors, but I'm not sure how those affect it.  Does anyone else get those when they binarize?

Anyway, after I binarized it, I opened it up in ODOL Explorer and there it was, textured and everything just as it should look.  I compile it with PBO-X, start up the game, and voila, it's invisible but there.  I can get into it and everything functions BUT IT'S INVISIBLE!!

*tears out hair*

After a successful binarize, does anyone get errors at all?  I can understand the 'Strange convex' type errors being harmful, but I'm getting none of those, only missing string errors and string id errors.

I also copied Sancuary's .bat file just to make sure--no difference. There's something very simple, I'm sure, that is the cause of this, but I just can't find enough documentation to pinpoint it.

Needless to say I am inches away from becoming quite insane.

Setting up a proper binarize environment can be a real PITA...

I'm trying to binarize an addon, but each time I do and compile it, the vehicle is invisible in-game, although the mlod version works fine.

I have all of the directories set up correctly afaik. I have an O: drive where oxygen is, then I have Bin, Data3D, Data, O and Worlds directories within it. Here are some of the errors I'm getting:

I get around 100 lines like this with different STR's:

Quote[/b] ]

Cannot register unknown string STR_EXPECT

This suggests to me that binarize isn't actually set up alright, folders wise. I realise you said "All binarize files are in the same directory as the unpbo'd data dir's.", but let's just eliminate any ambiguitites in that statement.

Assuming, as you say, that O:\ is the base folder where you have O2 and the folders mentioned installed, you should have binarize installed there too. That is to say that the following files and folders from the Breathe site "binarize.zip" should exist in O:\

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

O:\binarize\

O:\binarize\bin\*.hpp (and *.cpp)

O:\bin.bat

O:\binarize.exe

O:\exclude.txt

O:\readme.txt

Now, the binarize\bin\*.* files in that binarize.zip archive seemed old, so I replaced them with the ones from the archive Commented_Config_191.zip

Quote[/b] ]When you binarize do you get any missing texture errors, or do you get any of those errors about strings?
Sometimes and no. Upon getting texture errors, I go look for them and add them to my "binarize workplace". I've never had stringtable.csv errors though.

Is it a publicly available addon/model so I can try binarize:ing it here?

His problem was that he forgot to put a config.cpp into the directory.

Binarize always needs a config.cpp before it can binarize your addon, no matter were your final config.cpp will reside.

Yep, I knew it had to be something simple. I'm making a master config in a separate pbo and didn't realize that binarize needed it in the same directory as the addon.

Thanks to vektorboson for helping me realize that!