Sign in to follow this  
Marcus4

Cast Away

what about some amazon chicks? wink_o.gif

now seriously...all this concept is really atractive, so go for it. u just need zilions of scripts, and it will do it.

Like the idea smile_o.gif and its looking really great, what about some

crashed plane in one of the trees, full of rust on it.. You guys

remember that scene from Madagascar? biggrin_o.gif Would be fun to

see something like that on it, anyway keep up the good work

Love it so far

Thanks for the support guys! biggrin_o.gif

as I said, I am going to work on the Core Scripts, eating, food gathering, etc. And once I have all those done, all i need to do is make a few more things, and script the scene.

Dont worry, I am going to keep this somewhat real, no zomibe's, or dino's wink_o.gif.

about help, if i need it i will ask, thanks for the offer tho. (I will need the help once i get a overload of work to do crazy_o.gif )

Peace out

This looks like a great idea, and just shows what the ofp engine can do for all minds and emaginations.

A small suggestion

Would it be better to perhaps make your own story based upon this island? As following a certain story line and items force you to base it on that alone. Have you seen the TV series "Lost"?

I think making something up along those lines might be more interesting, as there are only x amount of people would play a "cast away" based them, because of the fact you are own your own, and it could get a bit tedious.

Perhaps include a very large role play based theme, allowing interaction with other people who happen to be on the island?

Depends how far you want to take it, and what you want the final product to be.

But it would be nice to play, something refreshing, and just because ofp is a war sim, doesn't mean the engine isnt.

Have you also thought about using or making new ground textures to make if feel more lush? As the BIS textures are very bland. There was also a nice object pack i found a while back, not sure who made it, but it could be perfect for your needs.

Link

Anyway good luck smile_o.gif

Smiley

I wanted to do something similar with Half-Life 2.

FIRE I HAVE CREATED!!!!

A survival mod in OFP would be great, because in reality that's what OFP is. Well, any game really.

Quote[/b] ]Have you also thought about using or making new ground textures to make if feel more lush?

Yep been working on that biggrin_o.gif

Sounds like a great concept, I cannot wait to see this island available. Keep up the great work!

Nice idea, it reminds me of the excellent freeware " Stranded "

Good luck with this project

He said it best. I salute your nice and original concept! thumbs-up.gif

There were some multi-player mods like this for Warcraft III, where you and your friends had to work together to survive. There was wild life to eat, and you had to build a fire to stay warm. You could build a shelter to sleep in, or you could build weapons to kill others and take their stuff.

Perhaps in an MP version you could build spears or something to kill the other team with, or random weapon caches could "wash up" on shore.

Just an idea, since I always like MP OFP MUCH better than SP OFP.

This really is showing my age, but it's also showing how long I've been into computer games! Does anybody remember a 3-D game called "Hunter" for the Amiga? Although the landscapes were bland and you had no teamates (far too early in game development for that sort of thing) you could get into any vehicle (they were plenty lying around) and you had to catch rabbits and stuff for food. Some of the 3-D models of vehicles were really nice for their day too.

Perhaps you could base this project on the same kind of idea which worked really well. The only other game I can think of (I never played Stranded) that was similar in its concept of 'lone-guy seeks to conquer environment' was "Flames of Freedom" (the sequel to Midwinter) again for the Amiga but released quite a bit after "Hunter" and also based in the tropics.

I played these games alot so might be good for ideas. All I can tell you is the fact that you had to go and meet other people (even though they were inanimate blocks) in "Flames of Freedom" to get important information massively increased the depth of the game's feel.

Not trying to throw the thread offtopic I'm merely pointing out how we could make this already good idea even better. Pm me if you like and we'll talk more if you want any more info thumbs-up.gif

mmm...sounds intersting, i plan to add other ppl on the islands, and things.. whistle.gif

and yeah dont forget to put in some ruins, caves, and all the other spooky areas one can find on an island to give it tht creepiness and sense of danger

it wud help in making our hearts beat faster aswell...and hell tht wud be so much fun biggrin_o.gif

and yeah dont forget to put in some ruins, caves, and all the other spooky areas one can find on an island to give it tht creepiness and sense of danger

it wud help in making our hearts beat faster aswell...and hell tht wud be so much fun biggrin_o.gif

Maybe that's the one thing OFP is missing. A GHOST addon biggrin_o.gif

Someone did make a semi-invisible soldier a while ago. You could still spot him, especially when he's moving, but wasn't too easy.

Yeah, MP version! Maybe so that everyone starts with no weapons and stuff at a crashed plane, and then they can go and search the plane for supplies and then try to stay alive. Most likely the players would divide into 'tribes' that try to hold the most important places on the island like water springs, high ground (easier to hold against the other tribe) and areas where there are much animals to eat. Or then, especially with very few players, they could all co-operate or then everyone for himself.

The only other game I can think of (I never played Stranded) that was similar in its concept of 'lone-guy seeks to conquer environment' was "Flames of Freedom" (the sequel to Midwinter) again for the Amiga but released quite a bit after "Hunter" and also based in the tropics.

I still got Midwinter somewhere on a shelf, awesome game really.

Story was kinda: Midwinter island was invaded and all security personell have been locked in their prisons. Now you (as the lone survivor sheriff) were supposed to use vehicles and free your colleques to organize a counter attack.

Wouldn't be too much of a problem to make it a OpF scenario, could even work in MP. biggrin_o.gif

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 11 2006,12:03)]I still got Midwinter somewhere on a shelf, awesome game really.

Story was kinda: Midwinter island was invaded and all security personell have been locked in their prisons. Now you (as the lone survivor sheriff) were supposed to use vehicles and free your colleques to organize a counter attack.

Wouldn't be too much of a problem to make it a OpF scenario, could even work in MP.  biggrin_o.gif

My thoughts exactly. OFP could really bring to life some of my favourite old games that just had that 'something missing'. Would be really easy. I don't want to go offtopic so I'll pm you photos of my old copies of Midwinter and Flames of Freedom later on (I have to go up into the loft to get at them). Perhaps we could start a brand new thread for anyone wanting OFP style revamps of their favourite old amiga computer games. I'll pm you later.

I think this Castaway idea could really develop into something thumbs-up.gif

i you thought about making my own survival mod some months ago. i just failed because of the large amount of work to do and my bad scripting knowledge. But i still have some good ideas to share. For example a survival handbook given the player, with tipps how to improvise weapons, shelter, clothing, traps and tools. u need a lot of huntable animals, materials (rocks, weed, fooooooooood, wood .......), an new GUI to combine/build all kinds of stuff (Piece of wood+stone=Hammer). Add different effects to player would be the hardest (Hunger, Thirst, Need of Sleep, Morale, Body Temperature). So if u need some help on the survival section mail me.

Ok, thanks. Right now I am working on the map, I need some idea's for shape's of islands biggrin_o.gif bring it on

Ok, thanks. Right now I am working on the map, I need some idea's for shape's of islands biggrin_o.gif bring it on

Why not just take a look at google satelite photos? Plenty of real island shapes to choose from.

u need a lot of huntable animals

I don't know where it is, or how to track it down, but I am absolutely proof positive this addon has been made. I saw pictures on Opflashpoint.org with rabbits and stuff on it which looked incredibly good. If it can be found it will shortcut you past alot of work wink_o.gif