Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Quote[/b] ]dispite the engine's revamp, its still lagging well behind the big boys

"The big boys"?? confused_o.gif ? I though OPF was the only "big boy" out there and other games were just midgets, i dont understand whats not to like about Arma graphicaly speaking, everything looks extremely detailed confused_o.gif .

Graphics are always compared to the best in the genre (FPS, one could say that ArmA is a milsim, but its still a FPS), and ArmA compared to crysis... Well, its not as nice as crysis for obvious reasons which we all know and not going to be repeated again. But fact is that its not as nice as crysis wink_o.gif

Good preview anyways smile_o.gif

It still says 'Q3' whistle.gif IDEA games have an Armed Assault section aswell.

Thanks for the links.

If Idea Games are the publisher it's nice to know that the've finally got it sorted. From small acorns...

Quote[/b] ]For starters, each island will be...

Does this mean ArmA will include more than one island ? Intriguing...

Quote[/b] ]dispite the engine's revamp, its still lagging well behind the big boys

"The big boys"?? confused_o.gif ? I though OPF was the only "big boy" out there and other games were just midgets, i dont understand whats not to like about Arma graphicaly speaking, everything looks extremely detailed confused_o.gif .

Graphics are always compared to the best in the genre (FPS, one could say that ArmA is a milsim, but its still a FPS), and ArmA compared to crysis... Well, its not as nice as crysis for obvious reasons which we all know and not going to be repeated again. But fact is that its not as nice as crysis wink_o.gif

True but then again what is Crysis other than Crysis itself? wink_o.gif

Its a damn shame that most gamers look to graphics these days...oh well...keep the little kids and graphic people with their graphics,I'd rather take the less graphicated games in which people believe in gameplay and teamwork.

True but then again what is Crysis other than Crysis itself? wink_o.gif

Its a damn shame that most gamers look to graphics these days...oh well...keep the little kids and graphic people with their graphics,I'd rather take the less graphicated games in which people believe in gameplay and teamwork.

I am actually pleased with this article, because unlike most the writer didn't focus on graphics and have a ruined outlook on the game because of it, which we have seen before. He simply mentioned twice that the graphics weren't up to par with other FPS's coming out around the same time, such as crysis.

True,just stating a point that no other game is up to par with it either,and don't even tell me you think BF2's graphics look better,they are about the same if not AA's being better. (their cobra is definatly much better)

I've just bought a copy of Septembers PCZONE magazine here in the UK, and they have a two page spread of ArmA as mentioned in the Flash News 100. It's a typical PCZONE 'tongue in cheek' write up but quite interesting.

For those who can't get a copy I've scanned the two pages and put it up on my website. ....Click the links below. I've tried to keep the two files small, so the scanned images don't reflect the quality in the PCZONE magazine! wink_o.gif

Page 1 Page 2

pistols.gif Heh too bad they havn't seen the latest screens...

'Graphically, it's looking a bit weak.'

Oh dear, you just go and stay with your 1 metre by 1 metre battlefields in Crysis or whatever then! biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Not a bad article otherwise though... smile_o.gif

Despite people's want for prettier graphics, the life span of games like far cry, doom 3, half life 2, fear and soon crysis and so on, is much much shorter than those games with greater scope like ofp. Strong focus on multiplayer does help a lot though.

Like many of you guys, I also appreciate that someone's finally considering something other than graphics. After all, that is the meat and potatoes of flashpoint. BIS probably puts most of their effort into improving the gameplay aspects of ArmA, and does so better than anyone else in the field.

However, I really wish some forum members could also come to terms with reality - ArmA doesn't exactly look fantastic. This is a point that has been reiterated in nearly all previews of ArmA, even the positive ones. It may come as a shock to some of you, but some adults actually value graphics (myself included) and as such it is a reviewer's job to report on it. The author makes it clear that there is a tradeoff between graphics and scale, and that ArmA favours the latter. Statements like "1 metre by 1 metre battlefields in Crysis" are redundant for two reasons - Crysis won't have 1 square metre battlefields, and graphically speaking, ArmA does look weak. We need to stop pretending that the rest of the world doesn't know of this mysterious tradeoff, and start accepting that it exists in ArmA.

Also, I don't see any magical transformation in the graphics of the latest set of screenshots. Sure, the smoke looks pretty, but that hardly puts it in another class of excellence. Could someone explain to me why the author, upon seeing the new shots, should start raving about the state-of-the-art graphics in ArmA?

.... PUBLISHER Idea Games ....

Idea is supposed not to be a publisher... Just a group of small developers trying to increase their bargining power... from what I understand and read.

.... PUBLISHER Idea Games ....

Idea is supposed not to be a publisher... Just a group of small developers trying to increase their bargining power... from what I understand and read.

why not.. it seems preaty good idea!

judge&jury, Crysis does have 1 square meter battlefields, and a boatload of loading screens between every 20square cm.

Ok so obviously it's exagerated a little bit, but the fact remains, ofp and farcry and crysis and arma neither does compare because the scope and goal are completely different.

People who buy games because of the graphics, like people who buy cycling games because of tour de france, are not the target groups that ofp/arma aims for. Crysis is.

Compared to ofp, arma is a long jump ahead of it in the graphics department, as would be naturally expected, and coupled with the scope and size, it IS a state of the art game. And compared to bf2, which is supposed to be "state of the art graphics", it does look really good.

Regardless, Flightsim gamers don't play 1st person descent type console games just because they have prettier textures and explosions, and neither do other sim gamers...

nice article to read, yeah well people that play ofp didn't love it that much for the graphics seriously smile_o.gif

Its the big deepth and game play that you can shape into any way you want. Seriously what made me get ofp was a community that lived and created content and a developer that supported the game and community with patches. And the Pc gamer demo was of course incredible too tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif Hope i can get it this autumn then and i'll try to save up some money for new Cpu and motherboard and a new graphics card to my 2nd comp so i can do some lan gaming with arm A aswell. smile_o.gif

Although they might, considering the new M$ flightsims ask 4gb of ram for a decent gameplay wink_o.gif

And by the way, i still find even OFP graphics very beautiful .. Flying by a sunset: priceless...

Armed Assault's graphics are great. In fact, I probably won't be able to run it at full detail. It's irritating that everyone seems to think that Crysis is "normal" now; it's the exception, not the rule. IMO, Armed Assault looks just as good as recent heavy hitters like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

Armed Assault's graphics are great. In fact, I probably won't be able to run it at full detail. It's irritating that everyone seems to think that Crysis is "normal" now; it's the exception, not the rule. IMO, Armed Assault looks just as good as recent heavy hitters like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

I agree totaly, ArmA are top notch for an engine over 6 years old. And the newer screens like this one.

I dont know, but thats better than Bf2's.

I recently bought (again) Rainbow six 3: Raven shield. Graphics are awfull (by today standards) but the gameplay is just great! I got hooked again, i play it all the time! I'll take gameplay over gfx anytime... notworthy.gif

It's irritating that everyone seems to think that Crysis is "normal" now; it's the exception, not the rule.

Yes, it's like people are taking Crysis as a standard. If BIS were to concentrate on graphics as much as Crytek, then we'd see the game in 5 years, OR get a game none of us would be satisfied with ..

Maybe we'll have Crysis level graphs in Game2. smile_o.gif It would be the *perfect* game then.

I say shmah to those who'd take Crysis over AA. At least BIS can spell correctly, and it's not like forumers like me would want their kind around here anyway.

Crysis not only about the graphic. Just see the E3 Crysis videos. The game had a decent physics too. When you run through the bushs, the vegetables are pushed out the way. I like those effect. wink_o.gif