Sign in to follow this  
twisted

detailed CQB sized maps - a discussion

As (BF) players mature, I hope they realise skill and tactics will more reliably defeat hyperactive sprays.  And give a bit more satisfaction when a plan comes together.  That's what I get out of OFP on the large scale.  Of course, I'd like to do CQB better in OFP - not for more kills, but to be able to flow through a building smoothly as a team - with the end result being me not getting killed because of a clunky interface and collision problems (FIXED!   yay.gif )

kill counts don't impress me at all.  Feels much better to finish a mission and not die once.  

(Back on topic)  On second thought, Balshow has it right.  Streaming terrain allows any number of the existing towns to have the maps we need.

Edit: Upon thinking a bit more about this topic, the central point is if CQB is improved, I believe it needs to be expressed in publications to be able to branch into a new market, and possibly the pre-made CQB missions as well, since this was seen as a 'weak point' to many fragfesters.  Extend an olive branch.

I'd really like to see a ArmA'ed "Clean Sweep" mission.

"It's quite simple: Most of the CTF's, DM,TDM in the original OFP are using a limited area"

So what`s the problem now to have a smaller cqb map? I really don`t understand.

There is no problem, it's just useless as you can use the big map for it, and just put a limit on it, so you create a small cqb map only on the big island. The map stays the same as a CQB map, as it's only a small part. Why would you make a new CQB map, when you already have 1000 possible CQB maps?

You`re right m8, The only problem is that I`m talking about a really detailed urbanized map, and I don`t mean textures, but objects, and buildings with really complex interiors.

I just don`t know If this would be possible on a ArmA`s maps.

I also don`t know which time I`m writting this, but If It`s already in ArmA there`s really no point to argue, I know that.

The LAST thing we want BIS to do is try to sell to a broad audience. They would then have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, the same way it's done in Hollywood. Do we want that kind of mainstream drivel. My God, just look what they did to the Doom movie to make it have broad appeal-- it's garbage. If that makes me an Elitist, then capitilalize the "E" in it because I them proclaim that title proudly and loudly.

So being an Elitist now means ""not accepting garbage.

--Ben

I dont understand what everyone is so negative about

battles are fought in major cities - therefore Arma as a military simulation must include that type of combat just as it included armoured warfare, rural infantry warfare and special forces combat leat it be considered unfinished

whether the engine can handle it or not is an unanswered question but if it is capable, then BIS have no excuse not to include urban centres as combat environments

I don't think anyone is being negative about is.All everyone is saying that the OFP engine is just not cut out for small CQB maps.Go and ask the Americas Army devs to make ArmA sized islands please and tell me what they will say wink_o.gif .

The second point thats been said again and again is that even with OFP engines large maps you can do your CQB-type battle

Conclusion: Why should BIS modify their engine?

P.S: So all major battles in warfare history have been fought in large citys?

Not the point.

And I (for one) dont believe anybody is saying that ArmA needs to be watered down, or made for simpletons. Quite the opposite. Keep the movement, the difficulty in aiming while moving, the time it takes to change stances and positions, and ALL that makes OFP what it is. Just allow for working inside a building as a human would move, for me that means smooth cross-stepping while sweeping a doorway and closing the 'freearm' movement down to almost half of what it currently is (indoors). Believe it or not, you can walk sideways without that much herkyjerky, even under load. IMHO the detailed maps will sort themselves out. Either the technology will be good enough to satisfy a specificaly demanding player, or it won't and someone will be creative and fill the void. confused_o.gif

AH! Ironic request, BIS going for bigger and better and some think they should make a small cqb map too? Why confused_o.gif ?? We have all played those small, walled in, cqb ctf/tdm maps and they were good practice for reflexes but unbearable after 2 minuts of play crazy_o.gif .

I tried ravenshield and americas army, atm the only game i have installed is OPFR and i want more of it wink_o.gif .

Once Arma comes out you are all free to design detailed maps with un natural boundaries or your very own cqb islands that nobody will want tounge2.gif .

You`re right m8, The only problem is that I`m talking about a really detailed urbanized map, and I don`t mean textures, but objects, and buildings with really complex interiors.

I just don`t know If this would be possible on a ArmA`s maps.

I also don`t know which time I`m writting this, but If It`s already in ArmA there`s really no point to argue, I know that.

In the original OFP you won't be able to make a CQB that is more detailed then a part of the big map. This is because of the limit of showable objects, and the start of lag when to many objects have to be drawn(in the original OFP anyway). Of course, it's possible that Arma has improved a lot in there, giving the possibilty to indeed show lots of details, like more furniture, and other more detailed things.

in short: A small map can be more detailed then a big one(but it has to be reallyreally tiny.

Best thing is to make a tiny island(preferably round). let's say you have visibilty on 1000, that would give you a size of 3.1415kmË› that is drawn. I don't know how many objects can be drawn there without lag.

So the detail depends on the mapsize, the more objects you put, the smaller the circle will be(which would be your map). I think that if you would like to make a map from like DoD:S in detail, I think your map wouldn't be bigger then 250m˛.  Of course this all depends of how Arma handles this.

But these kind of maps don't interest me in OFP. If I want to play such maps, I play other games...