Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

Isle Of Man

I decided to convert a old Dem i had laying around. I have just applied a basic texture over the terrain, but the reason for this post is more of a feedback approach. How many of the community members would be interested in such a island for ofp? Im not trying to gain any fame or anything, just really need a idea if it would be worth me carrying on this project if people would like/use the island for either missions, or just to explore.

The island itself is to scale of the real thing, as its a dem created island. I might also consider making some custom objects for the island if the you all would like to see this in game, most importantly it will include the MAXTT

Anyway any feed back is welcome to get a general idea of the popularity of the terrain area. A few pics below to show you the terrain.

Many thanks

Smiley

isleofman1.jpg

isleofman2.jpg

isleofman3.jpg

isleofman4.jpg

isleofman5.jpg

isleofman6.jpg

If you use a good nature pack i (and many others) would like to walk on that island wink_o.gif

Nice landscape for infantry battles. With Berghoff`s nature pack, or maybe the new one from WGL, it will look perfect. thumbs-up.gif

Looks really good your island Smiley_Nick!

I like this "naked" version, perhaps u clould add some stones and grass.

Hm i dont know how much work it is, but perhaps u can make a version with trees etc. and one with less vegetation.

...go for it smile_o.gif

please release in any case the plain island without any objects !

as this is perfect for big tank / air battles with high viewdistance in MP wink_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the comments chaps, i do like the idea of a "naked" version, or perhaps a version With a very limited selection of objects for those people Who like their long range tank battles. However, i am not really sure the terrain Would be adequate for tanks, as the it is very very hilly , and in Game some of those hills range to 300-600 feet, you dont notice it in the pics, because the terran is "flowing" like how real terrain should look.

Regarding the nature packs, Good idea, i Will check out the ones available and do some comparisons, to acquire a realistic looking foliage system that looks good and is also cpu friendley.

I did (in case you Where Wondering) plan to populate the island, but i just anted to get a idea about its popularity With a bare version.

The terrain Would be perfect for either CO op clans or SP, Looking to train in realistic terrain environments, a lot of tabbing, and use of a realistic road network to get around the place.

I Will do some tests With the new foliage and post some piccys later today.

Aploigies to the random Words With the caps W, my keyboard dosnt Want to type any loWer case W's

Smiley smile_o.gif

when i look at those pictures,i see artillery posistions,places for heavy firefights and tricky flying.I would say it is a great place for some interesting stuff. biggrin_o.gif

I looks at the Island and see a motorbike track tounge2.gif And also a battle ground

long range tank battles doenst mean 2000+ meter viewdistance all the time.

such a open terrain would be quite boring.

its more the contrary.

yet to be able play with high viewdistance at all,

you need as few objects as possible.

I look at the island and see bikes leaving the ground over bridges, and long tabs across realistic countryside.

In fact, the best thing about this island (The Isle of Man that is) is that I can see it from here. biggrin_o.gif

It would be a shame to have a perfectly good DEM lying around and not develop it further. wink_o.gif

I looks at the Island and see a motorbike track tounge2.gif

Me too inlove.gif

How are the chances of seeing the original racetrack in the final?

I looks at the Island and see a motorbike track tounge2.gif

Me too inlove.gif

How are the chances of seeing the original racetrack in the final?

there is no racetrack as such, it is a road race

69689_end_2005_06_06_isle_of_man_ianlougher_7506.jpg

make some objects for the race tho smile_o.gif

Cool island. Reminds of Armed Assault landscape. Great for infatnry battles, and if you use Berghoff's nature pack and create spectacular towns and villages, it will be a perfect island. notworthy.gif

Looks great even now without any objects. Think I could fall in love with this island as soon as the objects are placed (by now I "just" like the island) smile_o.gif

Make sure, you use a good nature pack, if you use one.

Maybe just make the island with original textures and nature objects. Symbiot and Atherakhia (creators of the great retextured Malden) said that they are working on a texture replacement for the original vegetation. So if anyone wants more details, he could then use the texture replacement, and those who just want a good fps count could still use the original.

In my opinion, do everything with original objects where possible. So everyone can mod the things as he likes.

But carry on, this will come out great!

Regards

Lockheed Martin$ch

Guest RKSL-Rock

If you are going to do the track, make sure there is a hole in the fence and hedge just after the Creg-ny-Baa pub on the left hand side. Its where my Blackbird wiped out the hedge and bank in 2000. Its still there apparently ...the hole ...nto the bike smile_o.gif

Very nice landscape, indeed!

I agree with the suggestion to use original objects, so that everyone can use replacement packs as he wishes. Also, I put my thumbs up for a clean version for air battles!

thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Daniel @ Jan. 15 2006,14:15)]http://www.photocycles.com/galleryimages/TT%202005/cregnybaa.jpg[/img]

Round that bend? Ouch.  tounge2.gif

Yeah, 120mph in, hard RH down messed up my line. Caught the whiteline while leant all the way over and over corrected. Started to get into a slide and high sided while trying to recover it. According to the guys behind i was still doing ~100mph when the bike and i departed company.

4 broken ribs, 3 broken fingers, dislocated hip fractured collar bone closely followed by a helicopter ride to Liverpool and it was over. My mates sent me the remains of my bike in a smallish box and a carrier bag. God bless insurance companies (only time i'll ever say that) got everything back + a small profit & a 6 week holiday from work.

Ended up with a brand new fully chipped Blackbird that was worth about Å4.80 and a huge bill for the medevac flight and a bill form a farmer for the sheep my bike killed when it passed through his field. rofl.gif

Gotta love the Isle of Man tounge2.gif

Ouch. Poor sheep. biggrin_o.gif

My uncle did the TT a while ago (2004 I think it was). Came back with a collarbone and a foot broken. His bike (a race-modified CBR-600) was okay though AFAIK.

Nice work Nick, terrain looks great. Nice to have some British soil in OFP.

Its the MANX TT by the way biggrin_o.gif not MAX :P

Looks good anyway, might beable to sort you out with some ref material as a girlfriend and her mum go over to the IOM quite regularly.