Sign in to follow this  
cl10k

GAZ 3937 Vodnik

Hi everyone. this is one of my first attempts in modeling lowpoly for opf. Its a russian "jeep" maybe you can even call it a small troopcarrier.

i am working in maya so there are some problems in exporting 3ds files to oxygen but i think i can manage that (thanks to lotekk).

As i said i am a newbie in  opf- and lowpolymodeling, therefore the model maybe is to detailed in some parts but i will decide whether to fix that or not after i found a way to see the model ingame. also it will take some time (years???) till i found out about all those special opf-modeling-scripting-things so please be patient.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6329/vodniktest26sd.jpg

looks really nice mate! i always have been waiting for such a vehicle!

Looks very good so far and the Vodnik has been requested for ages.

Keep it up! thumbs-up.gif

I don't know what your poly budget is, but you could probably lose a few polies around the corners of the tree-bar and the recesses in the bumper. You could then add equipment and polygons to the tires. I think that would be more effective. Those recesses would be a good place for texture detail. I guess it depends on what you think is important. I don't know what the actual vehicle looks like, but if it's not so blocky, you might think about bevelling some of those edges. Silouette readability is very important. If the silouette has hard edges but your subject doesn't, the edges will stand out.

Also, how did you get those curved contours on the windows and their frames? Their doesn't seem to be any polies there.

All in all very good. I'm not familiar with the vehicle you are modelling, but this looks pretty good.

hey plaintiff, thanks for your suggestions. i am not sure about the polylimit i think i will go for 3500 tris.

does anyone know how many tris the modern humvee-addons have??

the tires are just temporary, i will completly replace them and like i said i will decide on the details in the front of the car after i have seen it ingame (which is a problem at the moment because my 3ds export plugin is quite difficult). one reason for the details was, that i agree that the overall shape is very blocky and i tried to change that simple-look by adding more detail then usual... the windows are holes, filled with non-attached polys - i will triangulate the whole model by hand after i have finished modelling - and yes i will definetly bevel the outline to get rid of the boring shape...

here is a picture of the real car:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3538/vodnik26qu.jpg

@everyone: THANK YOU!!!  thumbs-up.gif you are very motivating (does this word exist in english??)

goodnight.gif

You could probably get away with lowering the poly's in the brush guard thingie. Also, the recesses in the bumper could be added in the texture. Otherwise, I'd say everything is pretty much good for poly's. Detailed enough to look good, but not too much to lag.

In fact, it's probably low enough that you could add in the mirrors, handles on the back doors, and the light on top of the roof. And the tires from the real pic, are a must. Tires like that just make me smile as im driving in the ofp country side.

of course i will add the light, mirrors, antenna and handles and some more small details like the "wire" on the lights whistle.gif

Looks good, I was just looking at the thread on CGTalk a few seconds ago too. Didn't know anyone from here hung out there.

i wasn't planing to post it here but lotekk convinced me to do so  icon_rolleyes.gif

usually i hang more around there...  wink_o.gif

but i hope that the community here can answer more of my opf-specific questions...

Nice, finally a Russian counterpart to the HMMWV. Looking good too thumbs-up.gif

hey plaintiff, thanks for your suggestions. i am not sure about the polylimit i think i will go for 3500 tris.

does anyone know how many tris the modern humvee-addons have??

3500 tris should be fine. Some of the more detailed vehicles around, size of HMMWV are like 5-6k faces.

hey [ZG]BUZZARD believe it or not but it was your thread which made me model this baby  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

after reading your thread again i noticed that somebody had already started that model - i hope no one is angry about my attempt...  icon_rolleyes.gif

@ag_smith do you think i could spend some more tris?? originally i model high poly therefore it is somewhat hard for me to keep the polycount low... what about 4500 tris?huh.gif

another question: i found lots of good pictures in a russian forum. there was also a link to a video of this baby but the link wasn't working... does anyone have this vid?

Ah, excellent, this addon reminds of all those times I've got run over by a Vodnik in BF2.... rofl.gif

Good to see this here. smile_o.gif

You could up your tri budget, but do so sensibly. I would set a target of 3500, and figure it out from there. For the Tiger I'm working on, I was given a budget of 4k tris, and that's a larger vehicle, with lots more doohickeys sticking off the silhouette. Remember that the more tris you throw into the vehicle, the fewer you'll be able to get into a scene at one go. To put it in real terms, you could stick four 3500-tri vehicles in a scene with almost the same tricount as three 4500-tri vehicles. So remember to weigh the benefits, and make sure you really need the extra tris before upping your budget.

Looking forward to more progress. smile_o.gif

Oh, about the O2 import issues you mentioned in the CGTalk thread, I can't see what the problem is. Maybe I'm just blind, though. smile_o.gif Could you explain a little further?

hi lotekk biggrin_o.gif

the problem in bulldozer is that i cant see my model (i see it in o2), only this white rectangle - when i try to zoom in, bulldozer crashes...

hey [ZG]BUZZARD believe it or not but it was your thread which made me model this baby  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

after reading your thread again i noticed that somebody had already started that model - i hope no one is angry about my attempt...  icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow, thanks!! It is an honor for me to be an inspiration here!!! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

About others doing other Vodniks: Don't worry about that for a second, because if there can be a trillion Humvees, then there's no reason why there can't be many Vodniks as well!!! biggrin_o.gif

Nice model of an ugly vehicle. tounge2.gif

Is good to see more wheeled russian stuff for OFP

its not that ugly... ...lets say interesting  crazy_o.gif

no real progress yet, i played a bit with the last details and beveling which took quite some time cause maya insists in a clean topology  banghead.gif  there are still some errors but i think its worth it... banghead.gif

so just some small progress to keep you busy  pistols.gif

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7859/bevelmaya0yb.jpg

its not that ugly... ...lets say interesting crazy_o.gif

Heheh, wouldn't call it a beauty myself, but it's a whole lot more interesting than a lame Humvee, guaranteed!!! Alas, beauty is a subjective matter, so...

Back on topic, it's looking good, cl10k!! thumbs-up.gif

Good Morning,

its a good feeling to see your own model for the first time in bulldozer...  tounge2.gif

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6538/bullvodnik1ue.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1722/voddie21xh.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/732/voddie10iu.jpg

i finished nearly all details for the first lod (mirrors and two handles still to do)

so now its time to soften some normals  crazy_o.gif

polycount is at 4500 tris with absolute no optimization. i think i will end at ~ 4000 - 4150 tris (without interior  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif )

i am planing to make two versions. the one you see now and a second one with slightly more details (to see if those additional details are visible or not)

2 questions: is there a way to tell bulldozer to show the edges(like outlines)? cause the model is hard to see atm... i read in a different thread that it is ok to have intersecting geometry in opf - is that true (could save lots of tris...)? huh.gif