Sign in to follow this  
Wachtmeester

LLW presents...

Hmmmm, I see some nice ideas here. That is if I could script, but I can't. But there was someone who offered his help, mayby we can use some scripting afterall with these low-tech planes. wink_o.gif

I'm looking forward to the G.1 - a _beautiful_ plane.

It's clear were someone got his inspiration from whistle.gif

Fokker G-1

Lockheed P-38

Would be nice for a follow-up WW2 Fokker pack after the WW1 aircraft whistle.gif

The Fokker G.1, some german plane I forget the name of (not the fw-189, I'm thinking of a different one, but it works), the Lightning and the Hughs XF-11 all look the same.. this is because the pod-and-boom style airframe/intended roles of the aircraft pretty much dictates the features of the design. By the same rationale, one could say that the Avro Manchester and the B-25 Mitchel are clearly co-inspired.. because they both are twin engined bombers with a glazed nose, dorsal and tail turrets, a long wing span and twin rudders. These things are features common to a design philosophy, not necessarily an attempt to copy.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure it was only British pilots who didn't wear parachutes.

Negative, during WWI the parachute was considered a "stunt" tool used in barnstorming shows and the like.

Military balloon crews were the only ones using them as an emergency escape device.

Until the end of the war, when some Austrian pilots began to use them.

The U.S. began looking at using parachutes in planes AFTER the war.

Not sure when the British began using them.

Read some books about WWI fighter aces (from any country), and you will definitely find passages about aviators jumping from their planes without parachutes to avoid a horrible burning death.

WWI fighter planes were made of wood and canvas, and caught fire very easily.

The pilots sat behind the engine (the usual starting point of the fire)...So the flames were pushed back onto the pilot.

From Wiki:

Quote[/b] ]On 13 January 1917, RFC Captain Clive Collett made the first British military parachute jump from a heavier-than-air craft. The jump, from 600 feet, was successful but the higher authorities in the RFC and the Air Board were opposed to the issuing of parachutes to aeroplane pilots. It was felt at the time that a parachute might tempt a pilot to abandon his aircraft in an emergency rather than continuing the fight. It was not until 16 September 1918 that the order was issued for all single seater aircraft to be fitted with parachutes.

Lions led by donkeys.

confused_o.gif

looking good

some really !!!! nice stuff for my eyes (great textures! )

and nice input for my brain - i guess i can skip my history lesson at school today - looking forward to it!!!  smile_o.gif