Sign in to follow this  
Lt.Auxillery

Battle Tank/APC Preference

I'm afraid I'm the one who started this off by saying that the Leopard 2A6 is the best tank in the world. confused_o.gif

I was merely basing that upon the 2004 tank survey, in which the Leo 2A6 was named as the best all-round tank by a panel of experts from the industry.

Please note that crews & people from different countries will see they tank as the best in the world, perhaps because of emotion, nationalism, or because they tank in use with their country best suits their needs, and therefore seems like the best tank to them.

Also, such a thing as real tank-warfare experience is rare to non-existant. In the last quarter of a century or so there have been no real tank to tank battles, in fact the last of these were fought in WWII. This is considering that for example M1A1 's in Desert Storm shooting the life out of outdated Iraq T54's and T64's at distances the Iraqi tanks couldnt even spot them just isnt really tank warfare.

Lets just end the OMFG MAI TANK IZ LIEK THE 3l337EZZTT!!!!111! fight, and talk about addon tanks. Just state what addon tank you think is best, and why.

Each and every tank design has it's own flaws and innovations. No tank can truly be the best.

Anyway, i've always found the Cheiftan addon tank to be a nifty little fire-fight winner, especially as it has a mortar on it.

I'm really partial to the RHS T-64BV and BVK... I like driving somewhat underpowered tanks and trying to survive for as long as possible :P Makes you focus much more on tactics and hiding when you now that BW Leopard 2A6 can smoke you in a single round :P

But as far as looks go I really like the RHS T80U

Yeah, the T80 by RHS looks quite good. Unfortunatly its completely underpowered. I like the RHS T64 in winter camo, very nicely done.

Fine. Here's why:

"The other type of smoothbore that has come into use over the last part of the 20th century is the tank gun. Practical rifling can only stabilize projectiles of a certain length to diameter ratio. To reliably penetrate the thick armor of modern armored vehicles, a very long, thin kinetic energy projectile is required—too long to stabilize with rifling. These rounds are instead formed into a dart shape, using fins for stabilization (see kinetic energy penetrator for information on how this works). With the fins for stability, rifling is no longer needed and in fact the spin imparted by rifling will degrade the accuracy of a finned projectile."

Happy? Yes I quoted it.

-Breaker Out

I'm not going to get into any conversation about which tank is better, besides the fact we just have to look at the first line in your sig to work out why you said what you did. icon_rolleyes.gif

There is too much flag waving going on on these forums to have a proper debate. Besides, you went out of your way to describe "those poor Challenger 2 crews" exactly because you know it is a contender for one of the best MBTs in the world (along with a couple of others that have been estimated as in the top 5), and you just wanted to make it look bad so everyone would go along with what you say. Fortunatly what you think of a tank doesn't actually make any difference on how good it is. That's why just because the M1A2 SEP in OFP being 4x more powerful than it should be doesn't actually make it so.

Feel free to keep on with this bad excuse for a flag waving oppurtunity, I saw this topic and knew it would degrade to this. icon_rolleyes.gif

The Challenger 2 has rifling primarily to fire HESH ‘High Explosive Squash Head' projectiles that have a softened tip that flattens against armoured targets. When detonated, the explosive delivers a powerful shock-wave through the armour - enough to shatter the inside surface into high-velocity fragments. In most cases the armour is not actually pierced, but fragmentation damage inside can be severe, also used against bunkers. It (rifling) does as stated IMHO make for a further stable flight of all projectiles, Sabot, HESH and Smoke that it carries.

The downside of this is that it uses split projectile/charge (costs more to manufacture) and not one piece ammo like so many others. Especially our friends over the pond and Europe.

To this end there are talks of fitting a smoothbore to CR2.

Challenger 2 is also one of, if not the best armored tank in service. M1 does have Chobham which consists of layers of steel separated with ceramic plates (that we gave), however CR2 has 2nd generation composite armour Chobham (Dorchester) and -as I am sure you have seen in the Gulf- add on armour.

Oh incase you wonder I am that crewmember talked about. Ten years service on Chieftain, CR1, CR2 and CVR(T).

Quote[/b] ]

I'd say the M1, chal2, leo2 and Merkava in latest incarnations are very close. a one-vs-one contest is unlikely, the better organized army will win.

For Addons : Challenger 2 by DKM is great and comes just before the Leo2 A6 by BWMOD  in my favourites.

The Challenger 2 has rifling primarily to fire HESH ‘High Explosive Squash Head' projectiles that have a softened tip that flattens against armoured targets. When detonated, the explosive delivers a powerful shock-wave through the armour - enough to shatter the inside surface into high-velocity fragments. In most cases the armour is not actually pierced, but fragmentation damage inside can be severe, also used against bunkers. It (rifling) does as stated IMHO make for a further stable flight of all projectiles, Sabot, HESH and Smoke that it carries.

The downside of this is that it uses split projectile/charge (costs more to manufacture) and not one piece ammo like so many others. Especially our friends over the pond and Europe.

To this end there are talks of fitting a smoothbore to CR2.

Challenger 2 is also one of, if not the best armored tank in service. M1 does have Chobham which consists of layers of steel separated with ceramic plates (that we gave), however CR2 has 2nd generation composite armour Chobham (Dorchester) and -as I am sure you have seen in the Gulf- add on armour.

Oh incase you wonder I am that crewmember talked about. Ten years service on Chieftain, CR1, CR2 and CVR(T).

The ammo used by the Brits in their Challengers is quite outdated by design though. This makes it a bit slow to reload. The cruise speed of a Challenger at 65Km/h on rough terrain also makes it not the fastest tank.

On the other hand, the Chobham indeed is said to make the Challenger almost invinsible, especially the 2nd generation. In Iraq a Challenger 2 took 14 (!!!wink_o.gif RPG hits, and it was still in action.

The T34 is a fucking killing machine!

In WWII, yes. Although I was dismayed once to see a T-34 take out my M1A2 in OFP. huh.gif

maybe that T-34 was with 122mm cannon? biggrin_o.gif

but still it wouldn't destroy overpowered abrams tanks from 3 rounds... rofl.gif

maybe that T-34 was with 122mm cannon? biggrin_o.gif

but still it wouldn't destroy overpowered abrams tanks from 3 rounds... rofl.gif

I can't remember which one, but I had a T-34 addon which took about two/three 120mm Sabots to destroy it.

Yeah, I love the BW Leopard 1A5, and the Gpard too! Beautiful stuff. Love having huge masses of 1A5's go up against T64's on the Leusderheide by LLW. Nice and Cold War-ish. tounge2.gif

To respond, I'll wait till cooler heads prevail. In the mean time, I stand by my opinion.

-Breaker Out

How does a thread about 'which ofp tank/apc addon do you prefer' require your godly opinion and 'factual' knowledge to be bestowed apon it.

Cooler heads will prevail, the ones who are able to converse in these forums without feeling the need to extend their E-Penis that 1 mm longer - something you're quite incapable of.

Quote[/b] ]I'll wait till cooler heads prevail.

The cooler heads have......they decided to ignore you.

Oh and favourite tank addon. UKF Challenger 2  nener.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'll wait till cooler heads prevail.

The cooler heads have......they decided to ignore you.

Oh and favourite tank addon. UKF Challenger 2  nener.gif

Gimme Gimme...

Any word on when we can expect it? whistle.gif

I hate to stir the pot even more, but I think it should be mentioned that while the Leopard 2A5 or A6 may be the best tank in terms of armor and firepower and mobility, it has yet to even fire a shot in anger.

The reputation of the Abrams A1 or A2 is based on performance in the '91 war and the '03 war. Same with the Challenger 2.

well yes, they were in war...

but iraq tanks didn't used best rounds that had/has soviet/russia, so abrams didn't have a real chance to prove it self... Abrams=newest technologyes vs. T-72=30 year old thing...

so don't blame me that i say that abrams is defenetely not the best

I wonder how Abrams could prove it self against T-90M...

this would be Abrams and Titan fight smile_o.gif

My favorite MBT is problably the T72's just because i find its design to be the most atractive icon_rolleyes.gif , i know its sad but i love it, i find it alot more atractive than the T80 or any other fat ass MBT, i also like older/smaller tanks like t55's and 62's but i dont like the M60's for their high looking profile and disgusting looking turrets..

I hate to stir the pot even more, but I think it should be mentioned that while the Leopard 2A5 or A6 may be the best tank in terms of armor and firepower and mobility, it has yet to even fire a shot in anger.  

The reputation of the Abrams A1 or A2 is based on performance in the '91 war and the '03 war.  Same with the Challenger 2.

The M1A2 SEP has the same L55 canon as the Leopard 2A6, borrowed from the 2A6... The armour technology which is similar to Chobham armour has also been tried and proven in real combat. The Leo 2A6 fire guidance systems are based on superior technology then that used in the M1A2, and mobility doesnt need a "fire-baptism". You can test engines under extremely realistic combat simulated conditions.

My point is that the Leopards are based and incorporate technology and systems that have been tried and proven.